What game changed the way you look at life?

• 55 results
Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

Demon souls remake for ps5 that can only be done on ps5.

Ps5 changed the way I see gaming and how I treat people.

Also Breath of the Wild changed toilet gaming for me.

https://www.polygon.com/22340793/dark-souls-depression-existential-dread-how-to-parry

To learn when you need to press the parry button for each distinct enemy type, you will inevitably die, over and over again, because you hit that button either too early or too late. And so, learning to parry in Dark Souls is making an agreement with yourself that you are going to experience a series of specific failures, in the hopes that, eventually, you will have learned something.

The entirety of Dark Souls works this way, which you probably knew even if you never played it, because it’s nearly a decade old and has been analyzed by many critics since. I played some of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2several years ago — enough to understand that its grim world of armored skeletons was repetitious and grueling. I also could tell that if I had stuck with it, I would have found it rewarding, but that it would take a level of patience I did not believe I had.

In other words, I didn’t think I was the kind of person who could play a game like Dark Souls. It turns out that I am, but I didn’t discover that until this year, when I tried Dark Souls again in the midst of the pandemic and a deep depression.

I haven’t beaten Dark Souls yet, but I’m further than I’ve ever gotten previously (I just reached the Gaping Dragon), and like so many people before me who have depression and have gotten way into Dark Souls, all I can think about now is what Dark Souls has taught me about failure and resilience. Which brings me back to parrying.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4259 Posts

Goldeneye 007 at the time had a powerful impact on me. Still to this day I think about it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39449 Posts

Halo:CE could be one. I remember playing it in stores and being blown away by the visuals, controls and the shooting. When i got the console with the game, i just couldn't believe i had the damn thing hooked to my tv.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Halo:CE could be one. I remember playing it in stores and being blown away by the visuals, controls and the shooting. When i got the console with the game, i just couldn't believe i had the damn thing hooked to my tv.

In many ways Halo CE still looks better than Infinite.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

Hahaha oh boy and 🤢 for linking bloody Polygon

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Geez.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

For me it was MP gaming.

I grew up in outside of a small town, not a lot to do besides fish and ride dirt bikes

but fortunately we had a local lan center in town that was awesome, they did overnight lans which were a blast as a kid.. My friends and I would play CS, Halo 2, and Day of defeat there all the time when i was a youngin. It made video games a social thing for me. (Usually the stigma with gamers is they are anti social) But for me it was the opposite. It got me into playing WOW, at 13- 14 I was a top healer for my guild at the time and my guild leaders were like 30 years old. Guys who were married and their wives even played. It was strange being that young and playing with a bunch of adults and having an important role for that group.

I had to be on at certain times for raid scheduling, i had to make sure we had enough potions to beat the raid. In a way it kind of was like a job. But it was fun and it was a community of people working together to accomplish something. Grinding in a game sometimes can reflect grinding in real life. Taught me that you only get good things if your willing to put in the effort and how to work with others to achieve those goals.

Halo 2 had the biggest impact on me though. At around 13 i was playing that game a lot as well and all my friends were as well. I was competitive and was heavy into the MLG scene of that game. But the big thing that had an impact believe it or not was Red vs Blue. Those goofy comedy vids rooster teeth would make from within the game. As a kid i was intrigued, I wanted to make these. I did research on what i needed. Next thing you know im asking for a capture card for Christmas and my parents did not know wtf i was talking about lol. I got action replay for my xbox so i could remove the HUD from halo 2. I started learning how to capture footage straight from my tv to my PC. Then i started learning how to edit video footage. Starting with windows movie maker and then realizing i needed something better so i torrent a copy of sony vegas.

This changed my life for real. Later on once i was in highschool i would get heavier into adobe software like photoshop and illustrator. It came pretty easy because i had some experience working in editing software. I eventually would get my bachelors in creative advertising/business.

This lead to getting jobs doing graphics and marketing for for music venues and construction companies. But somehow I ended up getting into sales in the construction industry for the money. I make good money and I'm happy. I guess that grind kept calling me. I really give Halo 2 a lot of credit for molding me at a young age. I know this is a weird tangent but its real lol

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SheevPalpamemes

@hardwenzen said:

Halo: CE was groundbreaking. I remember getting it and my buddy and I beat it in a weekend and beat legendary the next week.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9584 Posts

@outworld222 said:

Goldeneye 007 at the time had a powerful impact on me. Still to this day I think about it.

I still play inverted to this day because of that game. I easily put a thousand hours on it and perfect dark throughout the years.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WitIsWisdom

Nothing will probably ever beat when I was around 3-4 and saw my parents playing Super Mario Bros on the NES.. I was absolutely blown away. Strangely enough the other game I can think of the most is seeing Super Mario World on a demo kiosk in an old school Sears. I still love Mario games to this day and that old plumber started my love of gaming. I'm sure I saw games before that, but those were the first two to truly blow me away.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SheevPalpamemes

@WitIsWisdom said:

Nothing will probably ever beat when I was around 3-4 and saw my parents playing Super Mario Bros on the NES.. I was absolutely blown away. Strangely enough the other game I can think of the most is seeing Super Mario World on a demo kiosk in an old school Sears. I still love Mario games to this day and that old plumber started my love of gaming. I'm sure I saw games before that, but those were the first two to truly blow me away.

Isn't it amazing that you value the places where you first tried something?

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2956 Posts

Claiming that video games changed my life is a bit over the top, but Life is Strange and Beyond Two Souls left a very strong impression on me.

Crazy Taxi on Sega Dreamcast was the game that mostly changed my everyday schedule. The gameplay was amazingly addicting and I kept trying beating my high score. Crazy Taxi is a digital drug.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Ultimate Doom the first FPS game I played. I'm still playing Z doom wads to this day. I even did my final school project making doom maps and got high marks for it.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@pmanden said:

Claiming that video games changed my life is a bit over the top, but Life is Strange and Beyond Two Souls left a very strong impression on me.

Crazy Taxi on Sega Dreamcast was the game that mostly changed my everyday schedule. The gameplay was amazingly addicting and I kept trying beating my high score. Crazy Taxi is a digital drug.

Let me guess you're now an UBER driver!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15961 Posts

PS1 rpg like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire or Suikoden for my love of jrpg. Starcraft, CS1.6 and warcraft 3 multiplayer love.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19647 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

Yakuza, Final Fantasy series made me appreciate Japanese people, music and its culture very much.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#18 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Neverwinter Nights cured my Diablo II addiction. Does that count?

It made me realise there could be more to RPGs than just loot and character builds slapped over some linear, token story. After playing NWN, Diablo II just suddenly felt so stale and shallow. Because of NWN, I have evaluated every BioWare since through an additional measure exclusive (until last year) to them; would they have cured my Diablo II addiction like NWN did?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45331 Posts

Wow, didn't think TC could come up with such a deep and thought provoking thread lol.

I would say PS1/N64 launch era had the biggest impact on me. 3D gaming completely blew me away.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

None, but I did buy a recurve bow due to the 2013 Tomb Raider.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

Life is Strange...

Since playing that game, now when something doesn't go just right in my life I just rewind and do it again avoiding the error I made the first time. If only eh? lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56292 Posts

Crysis for me as it was the only, only PC game that got me into gaming PC all together and I build my first rig just to play Crysis. "Can it run Crysis?" those were the days lol.

@pmanden said:

I too love Crazy Taxi as that game made me discover The Offspring. Some say The Offspring were overrated, I personally didn't think so. Truth be told, I'm from the grunge era. By the way, Crazy Taxi 2 was so underwhelming.

@outworld222 said:

Same. Goldeneye N64 was the jam and consider the Call of Duty at the time too. But Halo CE is where its at.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Probably X-Wing Star Wars on MS DOS. That game took my young love of the films and thrust me into the pilot's seat in a way I hadn't imagined possible. I still play those games off and on to this day, and in some ways they set a bar that modern game design and graphics still haven't been enough to enable games to pass them

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@pmanden said:

Ah Crazy Taxi, yeah its amazing that Sega could create games that most gamers these days would whinge for not having enough content, can have you playing it for hundreds of hours.

I remember Sega Rally on the Sega Saturn, 4 cars & 4 tracks, and i put in over 300hrs into it, so addictive.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59211 Posts

Halflife showed video games could be good.

Every game prior was bad.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@i_p_daily: Sega really knew how to take skill-oriented "arcade" gameplay and send it into the home. And they did in with great variety and also geared at all ages - now days "skill oriented" almost always means crushingly brutal, but under Sega you saw a lot of games that made games fun and replayable to all age groups - some hardcore and crushing, some for moderate ability, some for young kids. Some gritty, some colorful and light, some sci fi. The home was your arcade. We didn't need "content" because the gameplay WAS the content

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2956 Posts

@gym_lion: Lol, I don't even have a license.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30572 Posts

Dreams changed the way i live my gaming life. I went from buying 15 or 20 games per year, to just one or two. I found out that the only thing more addicting to me than playing games, is creating them.

LoobPlayer11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By LoobPlayer11
Member since 2021 • 22 Posts

Assasins creed revelation the story the beautiful places character Ezio <3

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I would say Final Fantasy IX changed my life in that I related to the general problems the protagonist went through and I still try to reflect the good qualities they had and gained. Things such as; helping others if you're able to, taking the first step in making friends, taking a genuine interest in the lives of your friends, not flaunting your strength, treating everyone as an individual, be forgiving, and encourage those around you with praise.

The phrase that has stuck with me for my life ever since is "you don't need a reason to help someone."

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17851 Posts

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14818 Posts

Final Fantasy IX - dealt with some deep topics for a game that didn't take itself very seriously, compared to VII and VIII at least. Vivi's existential crisis struck close. "How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..." Watching characters struggle with their past, learning more about themselves and the world, and just dealing with it.

Planescape: Torment - the choices that you make matter, especially the ones that may not seem important to you.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WitIsWisdom

@sakaixx said:

PS1 rpg like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire or Suikoden for my love of jrpg. Starcraft, CS1.6 and warcraft 3 multiplayer love.

Awesome, I had Breath of Fire 1-3 in my original post, but I shortened it so people wouldn't cry.. lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44365 Posts

Can’t say that any game has changed how I look at life. However there have been games that were very memorable, impactful, and have shaped me into the gamer that I am today. A few of those were:

- Chrono Trigger

- Chrono Cross

- Final Fantasy

- Final Fantasy VI

- Final Fantasy VII

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game

- Contra III: The Alien Wars

- Mega Man 2

- Mega Man X

- Super Castlevania IV

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

- Street Fighter 2

- Resident Evil

- Metal Gear Solid

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#37 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6103 Posts

Changed my life? No, but I have been playing vg since 1979 and have played 100’s or 1000’s of games since then. Ground breaking game I can think of is probably Resident Evil on the PS1? It made a massive impact on vg then and still does today. Grand Theft Auto 3 another that made some people change themselves I guess?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Evil Within 2 turn me into a Coffee drinker.

Loading Video...

Not joking and now I have to say Coffee is much better than the game itself.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts
  • Auto Racing
  • Streets of Rage
  • Sonic
  • Dark Forces/Jedi Knight
  • X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
  • Pokemon

Without writing an essay, I can't properly express how much of an influence all those were and how they shaped what I consider fun, but this line from Skies of Arcadia is something that I do think about during tough times or whenever I want to quit on something:

"Impossible is just a word people use to feel good about themselves when they quit."

That quote from Vyse has stuck with me since the first time I read it, and I do actually reflect on it in case I feel that I'm giving up on something that I want/need to do too easily.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

If these boards do die some day, it'll be because the only section people really use anymore is full of nothing but troll threads like these.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50622 Posts

Not a single one...

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Dunno, but I finished Demon's Souls without parrying once.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

None...

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

First of all, what is this nonsensical essay from Polygon quoted by TC? The subtitles says "How I learned to stop staring into the void and appreciate life’s small victories." In short, the author says he learned through the Souls parry to confront depression and seemingly meaningless difficulties in life. LOL.

It goes;

I haven’t beaten Dark Souls yet, but I’m further than I’ve ever gotten previously (I just reached the Gaping Dragon), and like so many people before me who have depression and have gotten way into Dark Souls, all I can think about now is what Dark Souls has taught me about failure and resilience. Which brings me back to parrying.

Well, if DS is so difficult for you, you should play BotW instead, which is a lot easier and has your favorite parry, too. And if you are suffering from depression, get a prescription from your counselor instead of playing a difficult game that is out of your hands.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

@st_monica said:

First of all, what is this nonsensical essay from Polygon quoted by TC? The subtitles says "How I learned to stop staring into the void and appreciate life’s small victories." In short, the author says he learned through the Souls parry to confront depression and seemingly meaningless difficulties in life. LOL.

It goes;

Well, if DS is so difficult for you, you should play BotW instead, which is a lot easier and has your favorite parry, too. And if you are suffering from depression, get a prescription from your counselor instead of playing a difficult game that is out of your hands.

Sure its overly dramatic but maybe it really did mean something to them. People deal with and can find solutions to their problems in an indefinite number of ways. We're all gamers here, surely we can find something meaningful to each of us in the videogame craft that also benefits us or helps us go about the struggles in life if we tried.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@sheevpalpamemes said:

wtf? :-S

Welcome to Gamespot everyone. The place where we lie to our selves and pretend that only the Xbox Series consoles is having dry year in terms of games.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

@Zidaneski said:
@st_monica said:

It goes;

Sure its overly dramatic but maybe it really did mean something to them. People deal with and can find solutions to their problems in an indefinite number of ways. We're all gamers here, surely we can find something meaningful to each of us in the videogame craft that also benefits us or helps us go about the struggles in life if we tried.

Of course, people deal with their problems in so many different ways, as some people even prefer to be whipped by women to deal with their problems and find solutions. I agree with you.

But what I meant was that Polygon writers often impose very biased opinions in the attitude that they are right, and I cannot take their articles seriously. I smelled that in this article. So my attitude is rather towards Polygon, not gamers.

I'm not denying that people, like me, are seeking help in overcoming the hardships of life by enjoying video games.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

I wouldn't say changed my life, but I thought RDR was pretty powerful story-wise.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39449 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@sheevpalpamemes said:

wtf? :-S

Welcome to Gamespot everyone. The place where we lie to our selves and pretend that only the Xbox Series consoles is having dry year in terms of games.

???

It too changed my life for the better. I stopped drinking soda, and only drink tea now. The Playstation 5 Effect is more powerful than you might think.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I’d never played a Neir game before Automata. The themes surround life and purpose in that game were very impactful. It made me rethink everything about what I believe and why I believe it.