What is the reason console users don't game on their PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I see threads all of the time about wanting ME1 on PS3, or The Witcher on consoles.

Both games are easily played on PCs that were made five years ago - this goes all the way back to Windows XP, and when PC GPUs were at 256 MB.

Are console users all using entry-level PCs with integrated graphics, is that why they can't game on a PC?

Is it a fear of having to install before you can play?

I'd really like to know what the reason is.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

My pc can't handle those games.Well,maybe it can,but if I am going to play games on my computer I want them maxed out.

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts

I see threads all of the time about wanting ME1 on PS3, or The Witcher on consoles.

Both games are easily played on PCs that were made five years ago - this goes all the way back to Windows XP, and when PC GPUs were at 256 MB.

Are console users all using entry-level PCs with integrated graphics, is that why they can't game on a PC?

Is it a fear of having to install before you can play?

I'd really like to know what the reason is.

topsemag55
Uh most console users have beefy PCs with integrated graphics. Have you though of that one? Most of the time when people get their PCs they rarely touch their consoles except for exclusives.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

My graphics card isn't up to scratch, but I'm getting a new one next month. Also a lot of my friends have 360's so for multiplayer games like L4D etc then I would prefer it on 360 so I can play with them.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topsemag55

My pc can't handle those games.Well,maybe it can,but if I am going to play games on my computer I want them maxed out.

Lto_thaG

You can tweak a game to look really great, maxing out isn't really necessary.:)

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Lto_thaG
this + i enjoy gaming on console
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

topsemag55

You can tweak a game to look really great, maxing out isn't really necessary.:)

Meh,I used to tweak a lot...screw around with the games,but I don't really feel like going through stuff like that now.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 topsemag55

Uh most console users have beefy PCs with integrated graphics. Have you though of that one? Most of the time when people get their PCs they rarely touch their consoles except for exclusives.ocstew

Integrated graphics chips from Intel and others are not supported in games. You can't run Mass Effect or the Witcher on anything less than a discrete graphics card with at least 256 MB.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Either because they aren't that great with computers to know specs, fanboys, have more friends that play on consoles, or don't have the money for a new computer right now.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I have a decent PC, just with a GPU that isn't really made for gaming (so I heard). I just prefer my consoles for my gaming fix. I use my PC for other things.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 topsemag55

Meh,I used to tweak a lot...screw around with the games,but I don't really feel like going through stuff like that now.Lto_thaG

I hear you.

Even though my GPU has 1.5 GB, I still tweak. It's fun.:P

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"] Meh,I used to tweak a lot...screw around with the games,but I don't really feel like going through stuff like that now.topsemag55

I hear you.

Even though my GPU has 1.5 GB, I still tweak. It's fun.:P

Yeah,I used to be big into pc gaming.I even built my own computer with the help of my brother.He's a hardcore hermit though,but I don't know,I'm not really up to the task anymore.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 topsemag55

I have a decent PC, just with a GPU that isn't really made for gaming (so I heard). I just prefer my consoles for my gaming fix. I use my PC for other things. killerfist

What GPU do you have? I ran both ME1 and The Witcher on a nVidia 7800 GTX from five years ago. All it had was 256 MB and Direct-X 9.0, but it ran those games easily.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killerfist

[QUOTE="killerfist"]I have a decent PC, just with a GPU that isn't really made for gaming (so I heard). I just prefer my consoles for my gaming fix. I use my PC for other things. topsemag55

What GPU do you have? I ran both ME1 and The Witcher on a nVidia 7800 GTX five years ago. All it had was 256 MB and Direct-X 9.0, but it ran those games easily.

I have a 9500GS with 512MB. I can play those games I guess, but I'm simply not going to bother:P I didn't like ME anyway. I played it on 360 for a bit and traded it in.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 topsemag55

I have a 9500GS with 512MB. I can play those games I guess, but I'm simply not going to bother:P I didn't like ME anyway. I played it on 360 for a bit and traded it in. killerfist

You're set up great, killerfist.:)

The 9500GS is a good card, my last PC had that one. It had no problems running The Witcher or Dragon Age.

Oh, and Borderlands as well.

Elutheria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elutheria
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts
Personally I prefer playing on the big TV in the front room than sitting alone up in the office, peoples personal circumstances are different. It's a mistake to assume that every gamer lives a one room existence with every entertainment outlet in the same space. I have gamed for over 20 years, at times I've been primarily a PC Gamer, other times mainly console, ultimately it's just a matter of preference.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

I use a laptop for school, so gaming's pretty much a distant fantasy. Plus the few people I enjoy playing with primarily play on 360, and that's a big draw for me.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killerfist
Borderlands as well.topsemag55
Hm, I might check this one out for PC then. I hear great things, but I didn't want to spend much cash on it.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]Borderlands as well.killerfist
Hm, I might check this one out for PC then. I hear great things, but I didn't want to spend much cash on it.

You won't be disappointed then. Gearbox went the extra mile, and programmed Borderlands with GPU-specific graphics commands for nVidia users.:)

Don't know if you've seen it, but Claptrap rolls up to the Nvidia Logo, and bangs on it to make it light up.:lol:

Avatar image for garrett_daniels
garrett_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 garrett_daniels
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

Many posters on System Wars note the imagined mouse and keyboard requirement as a key disadvantage of the PC, totally unaware that controller support is standard as well; this perceived learning curve will be enough to dissuade many regardless of other advantages the platform offers. Closely related to this--as demonstrated in this very thread--is the general perception of PC gaming as a "lean forward" monitor-and-chair experience, not fully appreciating that it can just as easily be a "lean back" controller-and-couch experience simply by adding a humble HDMI cable (or S-Video, or component, or whatever your TV needs).

Running games at max settings is another mysterious expectation (the console versions you'd otherwise be playing are the equivalent of medium, if even that, so anything beyond what they are capable of is just a bonus), although one that is becoming increasingly feasible as this generation drags on.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lto_thaG

Running games at max settings is another mysterious expectation (the console versions you'd otherwise be playing are the equivalent of medium, if even that, so anything beyond what they are capable of is just a bonus), although one that is becoming increasingly feasible as this generation drags on.

garrett_daniels

I'm gonna say something about this.The games on my console look fine,the pc version,if I did play them,would not.Medium does not look good and my game would also suffer from horrid framerates.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 topsemag55

Many posters on System Wars note the imagined mouse and keyboard requirement as a key disadvantage of the PC, totally unaware that controller support is standard as well; this perceived learning curve will be enough to dissuade many regardless of other advantages the platform offers. Closely related to this--as demonstrated in this very thread--is the general perception of PC gaming as a "lean forward" monitor-and-chair experience, not fully appreciating that it can just as easily be a "lean back" controller-and-couch experience simply by adding a humble HDMI cable (or S-Video, or component, or whatever your TV needs).

garrett_daniels

Good post. Thanks, this clears things up.:)

I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that Windows auto-recognizes the 360 controller, and even downloads the driver for it.:o

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
Not strong enough, perhaps?
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topsemag55

[QUOTE="garrett_daniels"]

Lto_thaG

I'm gonna say something about this.The games on my console look fine,the pc version,if I did play them,would not.Medium does not look good and my game would also suffer from horrid framerates.

Hmm, there is a noticeable difference on some of the uber-games. Take Dragon Age, for example. Kevin Van Ord took pains to note the differences between the PC and the consoles, and the ratings reflected the difference.

There's a lot more coding within the PC for games like Dragon Age, for textures and the like. Omg, it's a 15 GB download.:P

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

[QUOTE="garrett_daniels"]

topsemag55

Hmm, there is a noticeable difference on some of the uber-games. Take Dragon Age, for example. Kevin Van Ord took pains to note the differences between the PC and the consoles, and the ratings reflected the difference.

There's a lot more coding within the PC for games like Dragon Age, for textures and the like. Omg, it's a 15 GB download.:P

There are some games that stand out.But a lot of them just look better on consoles when you don't have the hardware to max 'em out.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i still used dual core, 2 gig ram, and 8800gt i really need another cpu....
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

My 2004 Pc can run The Witcher and Mass Effect 1 and 2 just fine.

The 6800gt in that computer can handle multiplats quite well and at good settings.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hakkai007

i still used dual core, 2 gig ram, and 8800gt i really need another cpu....funsohng

My 2007 PC still uses that too and it works fine.

It can play just about any game at near max or max settings.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 topsemag55

i still used dual core, 2 gig ram, and 8800gt i really need another cpu....funsohng

You can open up the nVidia Control Panel, and raise the number of frames the CPU processes before passing the data to the 8800GT.

This will help your CPU perform better at lower framerates.:)

Avatar image for garrett_daniels
garrett_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 garrett_daniels
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

Lto_thaG

If you're getting bad frame rates with medium settings your PC obviously can't handle it. Console versions regularly make use of blurring/grain filters and other trickery to hide how bad things actually look; these effects aren't always available in the PC version, and using real AA instead of bogus blur smoothing has a noticeably higher performance hit. Also worth bearing in mind is that console games run at a maximum of 30 FPS; this is considered fine for a console game but poor for a PC game, so your expectations are probably much higher. If you run Fraps or a similar tool you can see the frame rate the game is putting out without relying on your own perception and expectation. If it's within 20-30 FPS, congratulations, you've got the equivalent of a console game.

I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that Windows auto-recognizes the 360 controller, and even downloads the driver for it.:o

topsemag55

Well, bear in mind that the vast majority of 360 owners will have wireless controllers. Wired controllers just plug right in, but for wireless the PC can't see it without the dongly thing from the Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows package (despite the name this controller is identical to the one sold for the 360 and works with either platform). Plugging in the Play & Charge unfortunately doesn't work since the USB is used for power only (instructions are still sent wirelessly). Unfortunately Microsoft opted against Bluetooth, which many PCs now have integrated receivers for, so the dongle is the only option.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]i still used dual core, 2 gig ram, and 8800gt i really need another cpu....topsemag55

You can open up the nVidia Control Panel, and raise the number of frames the CPU processes before passing the data to the 8800GT.

i can't find that option :cry:
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 topsemag55

There are some games that stand out.But a lot of them just look better on consoles when you don't have the hardware to max 'em out.

Lto_thaG

There are ways to help your hardware, like the tip I gave to funshong for the CPU.

Also, having the latest drivers installed help out a lot. The release notes tell you the performance increases for specific games that nVidia tweaked while programming the new driver version.

The latest nVidia drivers now have an uninstaller built-in.:)

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]i still used dual core, 2 gig ram, and 8800gt i really need another cpu....funsohng

Okay. Go "Start - Control Panel - nVidia Control Panel".

On the "Global Settings" Tab, find "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames".

Click on that, and use the window next to it to select the new number of frames.:)

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]i still used dual core, 2 gig ram, and 8800gt i really need another cpu....funsohng

I think he means the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" option.

At default it is set to 3.

Edit: oops he got to it first.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topsemag55

Click on that, and use the window next to it to select the new number of frames.:)

thx! I set it to 6, but is there are specific number that's good? because my cpu is pretty bad, i think
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I can't afford a gaming PC. The kind I want...at least. I want a top of the line gaming computer, and I've been trying to save up for years.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"] i can't find that option :cry:funsohng

thx! I set it to 6, but is there are specific number that's good? because my cpu is pretty bad, i think

It's really up to you.:)

My advice would be to try a setting and run a game. If you notice a good response, then stick with that or change it as you choose.:)

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hakkai007

thx! I set it to 6, but is there are specific number that's good? because my cpu is pretty bad, i thinkfunsohng

What CPU do you use?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I think the initial reaction to wanting to start PC gaming is the lack of knowledge and intimidating factor of building your own gaming PC. Secondly, the money to buy the hardware and parts to put one together. A lot of gamers are very young, meaning, early teens to late teens and they aren't necessarily loaded with cash. Asking your parents for money can be embarrassing for some, and even scary for those with strict parents.

And although I use this loosely, PC gamers are a different breed of gamers. Being a PC gamer means you cannot be lazy. If a piece of hardware fails, you better know how to troubleshoot or know where to find out how to fix the issue(s). Basically, PC gaming can be overwhelming and frustrating for those that are not diligent enough to overcome specific issues and problems. Or frankly, they are lazy and they prefer to just pop in a disc and be done with it. Coming from a gamer that owns all 3 consoles this gen, and a gaming PC, I can relate to each and every area that I pointed out.

But at the end of the day, gaming PC is very worth it. It is my platform of choice, even if my hard drive decides to fail tomorrow, or my GPU suddenly conks out. Like with everything else, it may break or have certain issues. I love PC gaming.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 topsemag55

Well, bear in mind that the vast majority of 360 owners will have wireless controllers. Wired controllers just plug right in, but for wireless the PC can't see it without the dongly thing from the Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows package (despite the name this controller is identical to the one sold for the 360 and works with either platform). Plugging in the Play & Charge unfortunately doesn't work since the USB is used for power only (instructions are still sent wirelessly). Unfortunately Microsoft opted against Bluetooth, which many PCs now have integrated receivers for, so the dongle is the only option.

garrett_daniels

Ah, I was thinking about the wired 360 controller, which is the one I use. I do love Plug-N-Play.:P

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 topsemag55

I think the initial reaction to wanting to start PC gaming is the lack of knowledge and intimidating factor of building your own gaming PC. Secondly, the money to buy the hardware and parts to put one together. A lot of gamers are very young, meaning, early teens to late teens and they aren't necessarily loaded with cash. Asking your parents for money can be embarrassing for some, and even scary for those with strict parents.

And although I use this loosely, PC gamers are a different breed of gamers. Being a PC gamer means you cannot be lazy. If a piece of hardware fails, you better know how to troubleshoot or know where to find out how to fix the issue(s). Basically, PC gaming can be overwhelming and frustrating for those that are not diligent enough to overcome specific issues and problems. Or frankly, they are lazy and they prefer to just pop in a disc and be done with it. Coming from a gamer that owns all 3 consoles this gen, and a gaming PC, I can relate to each and every area that I pointed out.

But at the end of the day, gaming PC is very worth it. It is my platform of choice, even if my hard drive decides to fail tomorrow, or my GPU suddenly conks out. Like with everything else, it may break or have certain issues. I love PC gaming.

Elann2008

True, you do have to be into it to be a PC gamer. And the amount of system control you have is a lot of fun.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]thx! I set it to 6, but is there are specific number that's good? because my cpu is pretty bad, i thinkHakkai007

What CPU do you use?

intel dual core 2.53GHz
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 topsemag55

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]thx! I set it to 6, but is there are specific number that's good? because my cpu is pretty bad, i thinkfunsohng

What CPU do you use?

intel dual core 2.53GHz

Have you tried closing your browser and running a game? That would be the best test.

Programs will run more efficiently the lower they are in memory.

nbessiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nbessiner
Member since 2009 • 731 Posts

I actually do that, but there aren't very much pc games I want. I have Warcraft 3, Mass Effect and plants vs zombies(great game). The only one left that I want is The witcher which looks awesome.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]Borderlands as well.killerfist

Why not try The Witcher? Or have you already?
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

Lto_thaG

What? You are misinformed. Console games usually are at about medium compared to PC settings.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

What CPU do you use?

topsemag55

intel dual core 2.53GHz

Have you tried closing your browser and running a game? That would be the best test.

Programs will run more efficiently the lower they are in memory.

i always do that, but keep in mind, I use dual view (and disabling the second monitor while play the game seemed not very helpful)
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

DragonfireXZ95

What? You are misinformed. Console games usually are at about medium compared to PC settings.

Not when I'm comparing them with my xbox 360.COD for example.It looks horrid on medium.On my 360 it looks sweet. Also,there's no way I can play games of the current gen.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

topsemag55

There are ways to help your hardware, like the tip I gave to funshong for the CPU.

Also, having the latest drivers installed help out a lot. The release notes tell you the performance increases for specific games that nVidia tweaked while programming the new driver version.

The latest nVidia drivers now have an uninstaller built-in.:)

Even with tweaking and updating my drivers(which I do),there's no way I can run the games of this generation. Nvid 7600GT 3.2Ghz processor 2gigs of ram.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 killerfist
[QUOTE="killerfist"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]Borderlands as well.DragonfireXZ95

Why not try The Witcher? Or have you already?

Nope, I haven't. But I might try this one too. :)