Why everyone ignores the issues in TLOU?

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

not a single review nor DF's analysis even mentions how many more pop-in are in the Remaster compared to the PS3 version. Or what about when NPC companions make a lot of noise or walk in front of enemies unnoticed? I know that was something ND did deliberately but even then it still breaks the immersion, yet everyone just rates the game with 10/10 when there are obvious flaws. And this is not nitpicking, this stuff happens very often, both the pop-ins and the AI stuff.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Didn't you just make a thread on how the PS4 is 50% more powerful?

Wow that Sony lie and self ownage.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

The ai stuff has been part of many reviews

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Gue1 said:

not a single review nor DF's analysis even mentions how many more pop-in are in the Remaster compared to the PS3 version. Or what about when NPC companions that make a lot of noise or walk in front of enemies unnoticed? I know that was something ND did deliberately but even then it still breaks the immersion, yet everyone just rates the game with 10/10 when there are obvious flaws. And this is not nitpicking, this stuff happens very often, both the pop-ins and the AI stuff.

Very true, The AI was made like that because of the limitations of the PS3 and my guess is, they didn't have enough time, or resources to sort out the AI in the remastered version, because it would mean that the whole AI would of had to be over hauled been made completely from scratch. still a great game tho so, not that fussed, never found that it took me out of the zone, and never really got into many position's where my partner walked infront of the enemy.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Because everyone's snout is firmly entrenched in the crotch of Naughty Dog? Seriously, I don't know. It sounds like something reviews should be mentioning.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

On PS3 the AI NPC companions acting stupid around enemies did take me out of the immersion, but they never alerted the enemies. Sad to hear it's the same for the PS4 version.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Fallout 3 got a 9 and it had more bugs than any other game in existence.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't know where you've been but I've been extremely vocal about TLOU issues.

But Zealots are louder.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

A lot of reviews mention it. It's the main complaint about the whole game.

It seems most don't consider it that big of a deal. I know I don't.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I have always questioned this about reviews. How did not a single reviewer mention the flaws of Uncharted 2 or, even though I like the game, how did every single reviewer that played Super Mario Galaxy 2 give it a score over a 90... I just have trouble seeing how praise could be so unanimous among so many individuals.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pikminmaniac

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

I have always questioned this about reviews. How did not a single reviewer mention the flaws of Uncharted 2 or, even though I like the game, how did every single reviewer that played Super Mario Galaxy 2 give it a score over a 90... I just have trouble seeing how praise could be so unanimous among so many individuals.

Becuase Super Mario Galaxy is so well designed. I was playing it the other day and I laughed out loud because I had an epiphany of just how amazing the game is. The level designs are nothing short of a work of art. The music is bombastic and classy. The gameplay may not be that much different to M64 and Sunshine, but it has lots of new elements that the Wiimote brung to the table.

The game is a masterpiece for real. It's just so amazing. A well polished, great playing, epic adventure that is simply unmatched by any game of it's genre.

Yeah it is amazing, but it is outclassed IMHO. It wins so many points for creativity and variety, but the level design could be tighter and more focused. Retro studios and their Donkey Kong Country games are far more a work of art in my eyes. The level designs are absolutely immaculate and work perfectly on 3 different levels. Each level was designed for a precise platforming challenge, a world to explore in depth for the many secrets, and for some of the most impressive speed run design I have seen in a platformer.

Again that is just my opinion. It is just weird that not everybody likes the galaxy games and some people have some legitimate complaints about it, but you do not see them brought up professionally. Maybe the best examples of this are GTA4 and Assassins Creed 3. The reception from the general public is a far cry from the critical reception.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17689 Posts

I've noticed the pop-in. Don't know if it's more prevalent than the PS3 (though I can't recall seeing it), but yea, it's there. More like "fade in" though. A more subtle way and not as jarring but still noticeable.

As for AI, reviews did mention it, at least for the PS3. It sucks and does break the immersion but I find that the majority of the time it gets the job done. It's very difficult to program good AI.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pikminmaniac

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

Becuase Super Mario Galaxy is so well designed. I was playing it the other day and I laughed out loud because I had an epiphany of just how amazing the game is. The level designs are nothing short of a work of art. The music is bombastic and classy. The gameplay may not be that much different to M64 and Sunshine, but it has lots of new elements that the Wiimote brung to the table.

The game is a masterpiece for real. It's just so amazing. A well polished, great playing, epic adventure that is simply unmatched by any game of it's genre.

Yeah it is amazing, but it is outclassed IMHO. It wins so many points for creativity and variety, but the level design could be tighter and more focused. Retro studios and their Donkey Kong Country games are far more a work of art in my eyes. The level designs are absolutely immaculate and work perfectly on 3 different levels. Each level was designed for a precise platforming challenge, a world to explore in depth for the many secrets, and for some of the most impressive speed run design I have seen in a platformer.

Again that is just my opinion. It is just weird that not everybody likes the galaxy games and some people have some legitimate complaints about it, but you do not see them brought up professionally. Maybe the best examples of this are GTA4 and Assassins Creed 3. The reception from the general public is a far cry from the critical reception.

I have only played Donkey Kong Country 1-3 on SNES and Returns. DKC 1 on SNES is a GOAT for me. That and Sonic 3 are the best 2D platformers of all time for me. Returns is also fantastic. Lots more gameplay elements than the SNES games, but I prefer the SNES ones. I guess Tropical Freeze is an even better version of Returns then.

But nah, Galaxy was far and away better than Returns. Rare > Retro for DK games imo. DKC 1-3 and DK64 are amazing for me. And no it isn't nostalgia as I only tried DK64 a few years back and loved it.

I guess we will just have to respectfully disagree here. I used to really love the old DKC games back on the SNES, but looking back, my enjoyment is mostly nostalgic now. There a number of questionable design choices in those older games. Retro with both of their DKC games just murdered what Rare did before them. Level design has more purpose, there is far more depth to each of them and the challenge is far more brutal as well as being more legitimate. there is also far more content to sink your teeth into to boot.

rosko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rosko123
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts

The game is greater than the sum of it's parts. It's not PERFECT just amazing.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pikminmaniac

@scottpsfan14:

TLOU is a solid 9-9.5/10

Uncharted 2 is a 5/10

Donkey Kong Country Triopical Freeze is a perfect 10

It's too hard to rate the DKC Rare games honestly with nostalgia factoring in, but I'd say they are in the 7-8 range

Super Mario Galaxy 1 would be around an 8-8.5

Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be like a 9.5

I guess... I'm not big on number rating. It's easier to express where games succeed and fail in my eyes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

For most reviewers these days, the scores they assign are not a reflection of the game's overall quality, but their mere enjoyment of it. One of the few places left that actually writes critically of a game's content (some of the time) and has a score reflective of that criticism is Eurogamer.

But even then it seems, they gave both versions of TLOU their usually unheard of 10/10 (I haven't read the reviews, and I haven't played the game, so I really can't pick them apart).

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@scottpsfan14: It's hard to say. I loved the first Pikmin as my favourite game since it released in 2001. It has a lot of sentimental value attached to it, but when I look at it critically stacked up against Pikmin 3, it's clear Pikmin 3 is the far more evolved, complex, deep, and well designed experience.

The same goes for platformers. I've called Yoshi's Island the best platformer of all time for close to 20 years, but there's no way I could say it's better than what Retro has produced in their 2 platformers.

I love analysing game design a lot and figuring out why or why I don't like certain games. I love pinpointing these things as technically as I can, but how do you deny your feelings for the things you remember fondly? Then there's that whole factoring in how groundbreaking a game is when it first releases. Where does that factor in?

If pressed for the answer to this question, I'd probably default to the first Pikmin game. It was just so wildly unique when it came out and it had this atmosphere of risk and danger permeating throughout. It is an experience I will never forget. I can't tell you how many times I replayed it managing my pikmin numbers and efficiency better each time to beat the game in the fewest days possible.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Most games have pop-in, some games are just better and masking it than others, is it really that bad got any videos of the problem? I know the PS3 had quite a lot of pop-in in the inclosed areas, for example there was one door in the university building when you looked through it at a certain angle you could see most of the room was not rendered, more of an optimisation thing though.

Also they have not tried to hide the fact that the AI is a bit off, I do remember a while back them specifically mentioning that they did originally write Eliie to be detected by the AI but it got annoying when the AI was responsible for you getting spotted and killed when it was not your fault.

And if the reason for the AI being not good enough was because it was on the PS3, then the PS4 ain't gonna make it much better, the CPU isn't that much more powerful to have any effect. It's more likely that they are not good enough to write the necessary AI to solve the problem.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Because videogame critics are soft.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

There is some suspension of disbelief a player needs to have when playing games. Often times this is due to technical limitations like AI. It's not to say that these aren't critiqued or shouldn't be critiqued because I've seen these critiques in various reviews before, but I do think the sum of the parts are much much greater than the tiny imperfections. I think it honestly deserves a 10/10.

I feel the same of Dark Souls. Yes it has its minor blemishes, but it's still as perfect of a game I've seen in my book.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Yeah there is tons of pop in present in the Remaster. The enemy A.I. is a much bigger deal though. I like how I'm crouched behind cover and my NPC ally goes running through the group of bad guys, bumping many of them on her way to cover by me. I know the bad guys are not alerted by this but it turns what is supposed to be a tense and stressful environment into a slapstick comedy scene.

The actual video game portions of The Last of Us get in the way of the story. And for that reason I can't praise this game as much as so many people do on this board. The improved resolution and framerate are very welcome changes though.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

10/10 =/= perfect.

I would give it a 9.0. Again, its not perfect, but its easily one of the best games i played in a long time. Oh, and i havent seen any pop in, in my 5 or 6 hours of gameplay so far!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Gue1: because graphics..... and little girl character progression.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Critics get carried away by hype and honestly releasing this game again so soon is a bit of a cash in. Pretty clear that Naughty Dog did wonders with the PS3 architecture and it may just be that they're not quite as familiar yet with the PS4. Hopefully a patch will fix the issues before I buy the game, but ND are still one of the premiere console developers and I look forward to seeing what the can do with a scratch built PS4 game.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

I believe critics get caught in the hype of being able to play games before everyone else. I'll never forget I went to an advanced screening of VAN HELSING with Hugh Jackman. The audience cheered at the end. CHEERED. Now there's not a single person alive who enjoys that piece of junk. I think they get excited because they get to play it first and that affects their review scores.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Critics get carried away by hype and honestly releasing this game again so soon is a bit of a cash in. Pretty clear that Naughty Dog did wonders with the PS3 architecture and it may just be that they're not quite as familiar yet with the PS4. Hopefully a patch will fix the issues before I buy the game, but ND are still one of the premiere console developers and I look forward to seeing what the can do with a scratch built PS4 game.

Uncharted 4: Return of the shooting dudes in the face the same way we have been doing since like 2005.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@jg4xchamp said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Uncharted 4: Return of the shooting dudes in the face the same way we have been doing since like 2005.

Lets hope they can do something a bit more, believe!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jg4xchamp

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@jg4xchamp said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Uncharted 4: here is the lame things we call puzzles, and this story about some lost treasure bullshit, just like the stuff we did in 2007. BELIEVE

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Top 5 GOAT by the Naughty Gods.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@jg4xchamp said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@jg4xchamp said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Uncharted 4: here is the lame things we call puzzles, and this story about some lost treasure bullshit, just like the stuff we did in 2007. BELIEVE

lol well I've only played UC2 and did not care for it tbh ...

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 edwardecl
@blue_hazy_basic said:

I can't imagine getting that much more, sure Last of Us was optimised for the PS3 hardware (mostly ram) but something already graphically optimised will be optimised to a certain extent no matter what hardware it runs on GPU wise. You might be able to do more things concurrently on the PS4 GPU perhaps either more post processing or more rendered objects or a combination of both... but the fact that the PS4 is hitting it's limit with the current game has to tell you something. Although I doubt they have even touched optimisations with unified ram yet, I still think a lot can be done with that.

What I want most which the PS3 had great trouble with is larger areas without loading zones of boundaries. Imagine something like the Last of US but more open where you get to chose the direction of the story and find out more about the world if you choose to. Multiple ways of completing objectives. More giraffes!!!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@joel_c17 said:

Fallout 3 got a 9 and it had more bugs than any other game in existence.

Yup, a game is a game. If its enjoyable, who cares?

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By edwardecl
@farrell2k said:

I am still amazed that people weren't bored to tears over another "zombie apocalypse" game.

But it was a well done fungus apocalypse game...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pikminmaniac

@farrell2k said:

I am still amazed that people weren't bored to tears over another "zombie apocalypse" game.

It's a lot more than that friend. The story doesn't focus that much on the infection compared to the people dealing with surviving a rough and desolate world.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

you must be new here because those issues have been discussed quite extensively, yet in the end it's still the most awarded game of all time

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

I believe critics get caught in the hype of being able to play games before everyone else. I'll never forget I went to an advanced screening of VAN HELSING with Hugh Jackman. The audience cheered at the end. CHEERED. Now there's not a single person alive who enjoys that piece of junk. I think they get excited because they get to play it first and that affects their review scores.

This is a good point, but movie critics also get to see early screenings, and you don't see hype influence their reviews in the same way. The biggest problem as I see it is that you really need to have at least 10-15 hours to invest into most games to give them a fair review. Some games require upwards of 40 hours. I get the sense that a lot of games, especially open world games like Elder Scrolls or AC, only get played for 2-3 hours by most reviewers before they get scored. A lot of these games are incredibly fun for a few hours before they no longer feel new, and often they fail to stand on their own two feet for the entire amount of time required to actually beat them. You rarely see criticisms like that in professional reviews.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

A lot of reviews mention it. It's the main complaint about the whole game.

It seems most don't consider it that big of a deal. I know I don't.

If this is true TC then your thread sucks.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Heil68 said:

Top 5 GOAT by the Naughty Gods.

Keep the HYPE going.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: it is indeed truth

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Because game journalism isn't the same as it used to be , many years ago . Now it is full of corruption , casuals and fanboys . Remember how IGN criticized health pick ups in The New Order , because it was "ancient" .?

TLOU is great game , I enjoyed it alot . Story telling is pretty good , even though setting itself isn't original . Gameplay wise , it is nothing special , that's why no one praised its gameplay in any review . But it is good enough for an action game . Overall I'll rate it 8.5/10 . Definitely not a 10 game imo .