Wire GGL: Metroid 3 feels generic.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
http://wire.ggl.com/2007/08/25/pax-hands-on-with-metroid-prime-3-corruption/ A hands-on from PAX that cdescribes about some of the aspects of Metroid Prime 3: Read and comment:Let's face it, first-party titles are pretty much the only thing the Wii actually has going for it. While third-party developers pump out crap title after crap title, Nintendo remains as still one of the best first-party publishers in the industry - both in sales and fun factor. So, it's no surprise that one of the most anticipated titles for the new platform is the next step in the Metroid franchise: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I had a chance to play the final, retail copy today, so take a look at what this game really has to offer … careful, you're entering a no-hype zone. Because of the Wii's unstable controls (lag, losing the pointer, any other lingering issues), first-person shooters have not worked on the console. The one shining star of the bunch has always been Metroid Prime 3. Is it perfect? No, nothing can be on the Wii simply because the controls don't allow it to be. But, it is pretty much the best FPS experience you can get on the console. What Corruption does so right in the controls department that others can't seem to get is the fact that you cannot lose your aiming reticule off the screen. With a few of the early FPS titles to come out for the Wii, each have made the design mistake of allowing the reticule to be lost offscreen when you accidentally point the Wiimote too far to the sides. Thankfully, Corruption solves this by just allowing the reticule to rest on the side and not completely off. As a result, you're never stuck wondering where your bullseye went. So yes, with improvements like the reticule in place, the gameplay mechanics of Corruption are fairly solid - you can even strafe. All the controls mapped to the Wiimote and nunchuck are relatively intuitive and stable. Everything is smooth and more or less makes you wish other developers for the Wii would take Corruption and do a long study of how to design correctly for this system. Where the game clearly lacks, however, is in the graphics department. Yeah, it looks great, but it looks great for a GameCube game. There's nothing here that we haven't already seen last generation. In fact, it's pretty safe to say that this game was developed as a GameCube title first and then Nintendo just decided to slap Wii functionality on it instead - seeing as how they needed a stronger Wii library. While the graphics are passable, it would be nice to see something a little more updated. When it comes to level design and moving through the world, Corruption is a very straight-forward FPS. In fact, if it didn't have the "Metroid" name attached to it, chances are it could have been just another throwaway shooter. What I mean is, that with games like Haze, BioShock, and Halo 3 advancing the genre, all Metroid seems to be doing is giving its fans another standard game. This may not be a bad thing for those hardcore fans, but for those of us who have moved on, it feels very generic. Overall, the game still looks to be one of the marquee titles for the system. But, seeing as how it doesn't really have any competition as far as quality on the Wii, this isn't something that should be marked down as a true victory. With shooters evolving, it's time Nintendo took note and did more than just offering up more of the same.Posted by Robert Summa
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

lmao blogs lmao.

but on a more seirous note, metroid prime 3 seems to basically be metroid prime 1+2 with wiimote controls. That may not be a bad thing, but then again, it may not be a good thing either. i hate to use the word but "rehashing" the first prime for the second time wont garner this game critical success.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Metroid isnt even a FPS...
Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oroin
Member since 2006 • 3041 Posts
TC, what's your opinion on this??
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Well, that was extremely harsh.

I still think MP3 won't disappoint fans. Personally, I'm hyping AA 8.5 at GS.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts

Metroid isnt even a FPS...Haziqonfire

:s

Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Redgarl
Member since 2002 • 13252 Posts
Matt is saying that it could be GOTY... so I follow his words over anybody else. He was the one pushing RE4 and Metroid Prime when everyone was making fun of them... and look at how they were wrong.
prozack28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 prozack28
Member since 2006 • 735 Posts
crappy biased blog.
MrAran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrAran
Member since 2005 • 4066 Posts
If it's more of the same, then why are they calling it an FPS?
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts

Exactly, what a fool.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I've never heard of that site, should I have?
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sim_genius
TC, what's your opinion on this??Oroin
I'm not sure. I'm excited about Metroid 3 but when they compare it to other games that are supposedly "evolving" I can't stop to think that is true that Nintendo gives us games with "more of the same" like Zelda last year. I don't want that to happen to Metroid.
mgszelda1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 mgszelda1
Member since 2004 • 7286 Posts

Dude, it pretty much is an FPS anymore.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Metroid isnt even a FPS...mgszelda1

Its still a FPA. You solve puzzles, explore, etc. They have enhanced the shooting yes, but its still a FPA.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
That was a PoS blog entry...no matter though, MP 3 is going to flop here at GS.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
[QUOTE="mgszelda1"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Metroid isnt even a FPS...Haziqonfire

Its still a FPA. You solve puzzles, explore, etc. They have enhanced the shooting yes, but its still a FPA.

its much less of FPA than its ever been. gameplay seems much more focused on shooting/fighting now than ever before.
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sim_genius
I think we also need to consider that Robert Summa wrote the article. He used to write for Joystiq and Destructoid so he's no stranger.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

It's a proven and admitted fact that GGL are some of the biggest Anti-Nintendo fanboys around. Check out their partners at Epileptic Gaming and you'll some some of the most frustratingly stupid Anti-Wii news around, including a full on bash of the Japanese Wii version of Resident Evil because their version had some of the violence cut despite the American version being uncut.

I don't go to GGL to hear djWheat and Robert Summa to give me news on the industry because, quite frankly, they suck at it thanks to their insane bias and their idiotic comments. When I go to them, I want to hear shoutcasting for Starcraft and Warcraft III, nothing else.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fenwickhotmail

That was a PoS blog entry...no matter though, MP 3 is going to flop here at GS. majadamus

YEAH Metroid Prime 3: 8.0. Quote me!

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="mgszelda1"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Metroid isnt even a FPS...JPOBS

its much less of FPA than its ever been. gameplay seems much more focused on shooting/fighting now than ever before.

I was listening to the IGN podcast -- everything from the originals are still there, in terms of puzzles and exploation, and the puzzles are 'harder than ever'. They might have focused more on the shooting aspect, but the other elements are still there.

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts

Whats with theese 2 blogs calling mass effect and mp3 fps games? :S

w/e just ignore it sheep, just like we ignore the mass effect one. Both those previews are ****.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fenwickhotmail
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="mgszelda1"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Metroid isnt even a FPS...Haziqonfire

I was listening to the IGN podcast -- everything from the originals are still there, in terms of puzzles and exploation, and the puzzles are 'harder than ever'. They might have focused more on the shooting aspect, but the other elements are still there.

they said that for twilight princess but it was still the same old formula

bulletmath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bulletmath
Member since 2007 • 1339 Posts

POST BY ROBERT SUMMA

You could have saved me reading all that crap if you'd told me that. Of course he'd say a Wii game is bad, he got fired from joystiq because of Nintendo and he hates them

Zero_Fate_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_Fate_
Member since 2003 • 3448 Posts

How is Halo 3 and Haze advancing the FPSgenre?

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sim_genius

Zero_Fate_
That's what I'd like to know :|
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

Zero_Fate_

Chainsaws.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

I was reading the thing and oh my... never has bias been so obvious.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="majadamus"]That was a PoS blog entry...no matter though, MP 3 is going to flop here at GS. fenwickhotmail

YEAH Metroid Prime 3: 8.0. Quote me!

I will and you will be burned.

nothing less than an 8.5 and 9.0 looks about right.

walkerctranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 walkerctranger
Member since 2006 • 1477 Posts
Matt is saying that it could be GOTY... so I follow his words over anybody else. He was the one pushing RE4 and Metroid Prime when everyone was making fun of them... and look at how they were wrong.Redgarl
yeah, exactly! I listen to him way above anyone else, hes never really been wrong about a game IMO
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Made on the gamecube and then slapped with Wii controls? How many times have we heard this now?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Funny... it ain't an FPS... so why exactly is he comparing it to the standards of console FPS's?

From what I have seen of the game it looks deeper, heavily polished and the best Prime game in there series. Maybe he was playing Twilight Princess and didn't know the difference? Seeing as how his comments echoed the GS TP review.

I don't remember IGN saying the one demo's controls felt "tacked on," IIRC they said it was the best console game to date that emulated the KB/M experience the closest possible without being a KB/M.
qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
once he mentioned Haze i knew this blog was complete garbage!
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts

lmao blogs lmao.

but on a more seirous note, metroid prime 3 seems to basically be metroid prime 1+2 with wiimote controls. That may not be a bad thing, but then again, it may not be a good thing either. i hate to use the word but "rehashing" the first prime for the second time wont garner this game critical success.

JPOBS
It doesn't seem that way to me. Anyway, I can wait for reviews.
Avatar image for metroidprimegmr
metroidprimegmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 metroidprimegmr
Member since 2004 • 290 Posts

AAAAAGGHHHH!!! MY BRAIN BURNS!!!

*puts on anti-bias goggles*

THE GOGGLES!!! THEY DO NAH-TING!!!

*collapses in epileptic fit caused by secondhand insanity*

DISCLAIMER - No, I'm not insane; I had a burst of randomness when I wrote this.

P.S. - IT'S A TRAAAAP!!!1!1 :P

OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
[QUOTE="Zero_Fate_"]

Sim_genius
That's what I'd like to know :|

lol @ the mentioning haze
metroidprimegmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 metroidprimegmr
Made on the gamecube and then slapped with Wii controls? How many times have we heard this now?Ninja-Vox
Actually, Metroid Prime 3 was built from the ground up specifically for the Wii; never in its production process was it intended to release for the Gamecube.
metroidprimegmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 metroidprimegmr
[QUOTE="Zero_Fate_"]

Gangans

Chainsaws.

Now would be a perfect time for somebody to post the pic of Link with a chainsaw.

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
If we're going to start believing blogs then Mass Effect sucks too and we all know that's not true. He failed horribly when he said FPS. Then failed even harder when he mentioned haze.
coolviper2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolviper2003
Member since 2003 • 1915 Posts
That person seems to not even like the Wii or Metroid to begin with. A lot negative things in that . Like why is he complaining about the graphics when it's common knowledge the Wii isn't a powerhouse? :/ I laughed when he called it generic. The game is about exploration with shooting on the side. The Metroid series has always been top notch stuff.If you have the mindset that it's supposed to be another FPS like Halo then yeah it might disappoint you. The Metroid Prime series is more like a first person Tomb Raider set in the future then a FPS like Halo or Unreal.
berga52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 berga52
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts

I think we also need to consider that Robert Summa wrote the article. He used to write for Joystiq and Destructoid so he's no stranger.Sim_genius

He's the guy who said they had some huge megaton announcement, got everyone speculating, then revealed that IBM had been producing chips for the Wii for longer than anyone had thought. His credibility is very questionable IMO.

gamecode101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 gamecode101
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts
matt says it goty material so he must be right. i'll support anyone who knew that re4 was gonna be goty. seriously, that's some courageous guesswork
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

In fact, it's pretty safe to say that this game was developed as a GameCube title first and then Nintendo just decided to slap Wii functionality on it instead - seeing as how they needed a stronger Wii library.Sim_genius

IGN says just the opposite; they said that,unlike Twilight Princess,which had good Wii controls,but felt like a Gamecube game in design,Metroid Prime 3 feels like it was designed for the Wii-mote and nunchuck.

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
I know I haven't played the game yet, but that guy is wrong. Dead wrong.
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
Well... That was pretty bad.

Controls : something tells me that there is something more wrong with teh way he's playing than the game itself. I've never heard any of those problems in any preview or review so far...

Graphics : Ummmm, blind much? The Wii is basically a GC, GET USED TO IT! Almost nothing on the wii couldn't be done on teh GC. They need to lower thier ideas of what Wii graphics should be. Only expect Xbox stuff.

Didn't mention Sound
Didn't mention puzzles
Didn't mention much else

Nothing but bashing, and calling Halo a revolutionary FPS changing game???????????

O well.. I guess thats his opinion, but i would rather trust those who actually have similar gaming tastes as i do, like Matt or any other person who says MP3 is an amazing game that has the best FPA/FPS controls on any console
irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts

[QUOTE="Sim_genius"]In fact, it's pretty safe to say that this game was developed as a GameCube title first and then Nintendo just decided to slap Wii functionality on it instead - seeing as how they needed a stronger Wii library.VGobbsesser

IGN says just the opposite; they said that,unlike Twilight Princess,which had good Wii controls,but felt like a Gamecube game in design,Metroid Prime 3 feels like it was designed for the Wii-mote and nunchuck.

Because it WAS designed as a Wii game.

Avatar image for TimeToPartyHard
TimeToPartyHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TimeToPartyHard
Member since 2004 • 1963 Posts

"Is it perfect? No, nothing can be on the Wii simply because the controls don't allow it to be."

Biased much? Kinda loses credibility after that kind of statement.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
crappy biased blog.prozack28
Exactly, but there in lies the beauty of this. He is basically saying the controls are great, that's the only unknown factor, so some bias butthead like him who only disliked the graphics confirms that this will live up to it's potential. We who are anticipating this game know what to expect graphically, so if a bias, hater like him can't hate on the controls, then that's great news.
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts

When it comes to level design and moving through the world, Corruption is a very straight-forward FPS. In fact, if it didn't have the "Metroid" name attached to it, chances are it could have been just another throwaway shooter. What I mean is, that with games like Haze, BioShock, and Halo 3 advancing the genre, all Metroid seems to be doing is giving its fans another standard game. This may not be a bad thing for those hardcore fans, but for those of us who have moved on, it feels very generic.Dumbass

This guy is an idiot. I should have stopped reading when I saw "lag, losing the pointer, any other lingering issues" , but I was dumb enough to give him a second chance. I suggest you other posters don't give up your rights to be non-tards by believing this hunk of crap.

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
LOL a small no body who hates the Wii is saying that Halo 3 is is going to be a game that advances FPS's into the future LOL, and yes I know MP3 is going to change FPS's because it's an FPA only the controllers are going to further FPS's and FPA's, but i'll think i'll wait for some big website to rate it not some angry nobody who wish MP3 was on their system.