Your favorite Grand Theft Auto?

• 55 results
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Your favorite Grand Theft Auto? (68 votes)

Grand Theft Auto III 6%
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 34%
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 26%
Grand Theft Auto: IV 10%
Grand Theft Auto: V 18%
Other 6%

I would say (SPOILERS):

1) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City: The greatest of them all. Probably the best dialogue in terms writing and voice acting that I have ever seen in a video game. Look at the cast, look at the cast! It is unbelievable. The storyline is also pretty straight forward, just a mash of some 80's, early 90's crime movies/TV series, Scarface, Carlito's Way and of course, Miami Vice (among many others). This element, the dialogue, writing, and voice acting is also a strong suit of GTA III.

Just a lot of fun to play and highly underrated thanks to its simplicity. I simply love missions like: pick up person X and drive them to place Y. Snipe person X. Go steal X's car. Go steal X's car, rig it with a bomb and place it right back. Today a day some GTA's missions can be unnecessarily complicated. Again, this is also a strong suit of GTA III.

Always felt the map needed to be 5 to 10% bigger and it would have been perfect.

Also, let me not end this without talking about the fabulous soundtrack and the excellent radio dialogue. To this day, I can just sit and listen to Pressing Issues. It remains, for my money, the best and funniest radio dialogue that has ever been recorded for a GTA game. It is the pinnacle.

2) Grand Theft Auto III: The (3D) one that started it all. My relation with GTA III is funny; I an Xbox owner so we didn't got the GTA series until the famous GTA Double Pack release. I knew Vice City was the most recent iteration and that if I started playing it before III that it would be a long long time before I ever got to it so I decided to "force" myself to play III before City for as long as I could. Well, good job by me! It showed me III's dialogue and mission design were just as good as City's (or at least as good as a predecessor can be with the inherent advantages that a sequel has on to which build upon).

Again, look at the cast. Listen to the radio talk shows. The combination of play and dialogue/narrative remains as a clear number 2 for me. The first two remain clearly as the top 2 (San Andreas, as part of the "original trilogy" is clearly a step below) in terms of actors and voice acting. It is truly a treat and top notch.

On the downside I would point out to the game breaking my heart with the mafia Don betraying me (I thought the game would be all about the mafia) and the fact that after you end the game you couldn't freely roam through some sections of the game (close to the Don's mansion, close the Yardies stronghold). This would be a persistent blight on an otherwise stellar series.

3) Grand Theft Auto V: I'll admit it, I thought I wouldn't like the 3 character system and that it was a unnecessary gimmick (I still believe that part). It was no problem, it allowed the game to explore 3 different characters while intertwining their stories cleverly for different points of view in a mission. It is difficult to compare a game of this scope and magnitude to the early ones, it is almost unfair. Better graphics, more cars, more mini games, more variety in type of missions, planes, boats, submarine, bikes, hunting. The heist storyline/design is taken right out of perhaps my favorite movie of all time (Heat) so that's always a plus.

The best "mature" dialogue of the series thus far it makes me long for the more arcaey, satirical, not taking itself so seriously storyline of the first 2 3D entries (see what I did there?).

On the downside, the game tried to fix the "NPC will continue to hassle you by calling and leaving you messages even after you complete the game" but not entirely in a satisfying manner. The game still pops up with tasks every 20 minutes or so that you feel like you have to attend to (like "so and so gang is attacking your bar" or whatever, "we need you to come"). No, don't need me to come back to anything you silly game, when I finish the game I just want to roam around without anyone annoying me. Which is also a problem ironically, once you finish the game, there is really not much else to do in terms of mini-games or the like. Like, I can only drag cars out of railways so many times before it becomes stale.

4) Grand Theft Auto IV: A tale of 2 games, basically one of my fondest memories from this game is realizing right away that it had fixed everything that I hated about San Andreas. It is the first of the more "grounded" style gameplay, less arcaey and more "mature" or more "adult oriented" tone.

A highlight of the game is the 2 DLC's packs: specially The Ballad of Gay Tony with the Lost and Dammed being a worthy addition too. Loved to just go around and complete the parachute mini-games over and over and over again.

On the downside I would point out to the dreaded constant calls/messages from NPC's after you complete the game which you had to accept a task and then call them back to say you couldn't complete said tasks because if you simply ignored the call you lost some "friendy" thingy points that I don't remember. Also felt that the storyline was a little bit too dramatic with the wedding and whatever.

Important to point that this is was where Rockstar starting to use B and C level voice actors instead of AAA voice actors which is a loss for all of us. It isn't that the voice acting in IV and V is bad, it is that in III and Vice City is spectacular.

5) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: I will summarize my main problems with the game. It is a 2 prong problem which end up compounding themselves.

First: I felt the map was big for the sake of being big. It is like the developers went like "oh, we have all this new disk space, lets make the game as big as we can!" for no rhyme or reason. Clear case of just because you can it doesn't mean that you should.

Second: the controls/ camera. It was a close mess, they changed them so you could drive-by shoot but in the process they nearly broke them.

So in the end I'm left driving I don't know how many miles for one mission that started all the way in one spot of the map while doing it with fucking crappy controls and I wanted to throw the control through my TV. It was such a frustrating experience. I think I still have nightmares about it.

Which is a shame because the game had so many things going for it: a kind of Boyz n the Hood storyline, still a some good voice actors (albeit not as much as in the previous 2) including Samuel L. Jackson, the game is still funny as hell (Loc was hilarious), the beginning of car modification in the GTA series, the dancing mini-game, the introduction of parachuting!, the introduction of being able to complete some missions with a stealthy approach, finally learning to swim!, and probably the most "weighty" flying gameplay up to that date and arguably the best of the series (I'm talking specifically about the jet).

On the downside I didn't like the whole you have to go the gym to learn how to fight/get pumped mini-game. Too much time wasted on that, it wasn't permanent (you had to keep doing it) and some of it wasn't fun (too much button mashing).

I also felt that the connection to the previous game, while good (they chose to bring back the best possible character: Rosenberg) I felt it came too late in the game. By the end of the game I was zombie playing wanting it to be over and just doing it because I wanted to be able to say that at least I had finished the game. It wasn't a good experience and it stands alone with the dubious distinction of being the only GTA that I haven't finished 100% (looking for all the packages etc.).

Wikipedia summarized well my first point about San Andreas and IV:

Although smaller than San Andreas, the main setting for Grand Theft Auto IV's predecessor Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Liberty City is comparable to it in terms of scope when "the level of verticality of the city, the number of buildings you can go into, and the level of detail in those buildings" are taken into account.[53] The goal for Liberty City was to have no dead spots or irrelevant spaces, such as the wide open deserts in San Andreas.[44]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Production

• 
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

What say you?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

Vice City.

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Vice City would be my favourite with GTAV a very close second and GTAIV in third.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Vice City and GTA 2 are where my fondest memories are. GTA 5 was pretty good too.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

Vice city was peak GTA.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

vice city had great music

san andreas is a great game

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

None

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

I only played V, so that one.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#9  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

GTA III is my favourite.

I liked the missions, antagonists, and Easter eggs the best out of all the GTAs.

Also not that difficult to 100% so that helps my bias.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

GTA SA > GTA 3 > GTA VC > GTA IV > GTA V

Bite me.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Vice City, ya'll!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19638 Posts

1. San Andreas

2. Vice City

3. GTA V

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

Forever Vice City

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

GTA3. It's in my top 10 of all time. I still remember playing it the first time and being blown-away. I knew gaming would never be the same.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18806 Posts

1. SA- Had a lot of Gameplay

2. 3- Started it all

3. VC- Best story

4. LCS- Enjoyable in portable form

5. VCS- I liked it but felt they should've of put more into it.

6. GTA 5- Clunky controls and boring missions. Games should go back to fun factor than high production

7. Clunky controls and boring missions. Never completed it.

7. GTA-

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

GTA V is easily the best. The terrible controls of the original PS2 games keep them from being the best by default. Of those however, Miami Vice is easily my favorite.

GTA IV is probably my least favorite since the main character was awful and I felt it was largely overrated at the time.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

At the time San Andreas.

Now I guess 5. But they are all pretty bad, 5 is just the least bad to play.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

Chinatown Wars.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

V

Before that, San Andreas.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39409 Posts

RDR2, a much superior GTA in the West.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

V because I love Travis.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#22 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

V

the rest were ruined by annoying checkpoint systems (or lack of checkpoint systems)

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Vice City might be the only good GTA. Fight me

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

San Andreas is the only GTA games I bothered to get to end game to end officer tenpenny. So much struggle in the toy plane mission though...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

San Andreas only because the MC can swim and not die whenever he gets into the water which was a pain in the ass in GTA3/Vice City. For those who like Vice City, I hope you had fun drowning whenever you step into the boats lol.

GTAV is seconds for me. It's not on the list but, I also think GTA Chinatown Wars on PSP was awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Nostalgic answer GTA: SA, real answer GTA IV just barely over V. Five had much better variety and content but IV to me felt special it was a big jump from the 3-D era in terms of graphics, combat and physics also the radio station is underrated. And it has the funniest radio ad ever lmao.

Loading Video...

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I played Vice City the most. It used to be my fav but the gameplay is so outdated and unplayable now.

GTAV has the best gameplay and its modern with the best controls. That alone wins for me.

Vice City has the best music and setting, but god awful aged gameplay. I can’t go back to it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52448 Posts

GTA4.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24996 Posts

None of them. They all suck.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

@ajstyles said:

I played Vice City the most. It used to be my fav but the gameplay is so outdated and unplayable now.

GTAV has the best gameplay and its modern with the best controls. That alone wins for me.

Vice City has the best music and setting, but god awful aged gameplay. I can’t go back to it.

I feel the same way. I have very fond memories of Vice City, but I tried replaying it a couple months ago and I couldn't get into it again.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Liberty city stories which i bought legit and with cheat device you could raise water levels fly boats etc

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

I like how there is no gta 2 which was massive before gta 3 came out.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

None of them. They all suck.

Pretty much.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22400 Posts

San Andreas, followed by Vice City.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

Vice City for setting

IV for the tech used (which is still superior to V)

Ballad of Gay Tony for the characters

Chinatown wars for its innovative gameplay

PanPizza15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PanPizza15
Member since 2006 • 1485 Posts

Saints Row 3

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#37 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts

The one with the last dance of lance vance.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

V sucks balls, made driving an arcade game for whatever reason which was annoying.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

GT Vice city for the Miami vice vibes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

SA

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

SA> VC> IV> V> III

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#42 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19638 Posts

It's a tie between Vice City and San Andreas so far.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@adsparky: The last dance of lance vance sounds like a better subtitle than The ballad of Gay Tony lol

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

I'll go with GTA set in the old west, by far... RDR 1.

RDR 2 while very impressive was just nowhere near as Fun. :P

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1261 Posts

San Andreas.

Vice City might've been it if it had San Andreas improved controls and camera but alas it does not. Never played 3.

fileman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fileman3
Member since 2005 • 401 Posts

San Andreas.

I tried my hardest to Get into GTAV multiple times but it just never clicked with me. IV was pretty good as well

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

San Adreas

Vice City

GTA 2

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

This is a weird one to answer, GTA San Andreas and GTA V were both so much bigger and better than Vice City every possible... except... they weren't. Vice City somehow was my favourite.

It helps being the fact that it was my first GTA. I was 9 years old at the time and mum completely forbade me from playing it. I had to hide my friend's disc under my bed and could only play it 1 hour after school before my mum got home lol.

GTA 3 was pretty much inferior to Vice City in every way, but it is arguably the most revolutionary game of the 00s. Respect for that.

GTA: San Andreas was a step up in every way; bigger world, BMX bikes, gym training, eating food, getting fat, muscular, levelling up, ability to swim and 200 other things you could do.

GTA IV; took three steps back, the most empty world of them all and literally nothing to do. worst GTA by far and most overrated game of all time.

GTA V: Back on track, true successor to GTA SA.

So VC > V > SA > III > IV.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9411 Posts

Vice City

Hmm. Results are as expected.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

San Andreas, hands down. I replayed it recently, all the way through, and enjoyed it just as much as I did back in the day. Vice City's soundtrack aside, SA is easily the best GTA of all time.