What is your favorite SEGA IP?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll What is your favorite SEGA IP? (25 votes)

Sonic the Hedgehog 20%
Streets of Rage 20%
NiGHTS 0%
Panzer Dragoon 0%
Shinobi 0%
Shenmue 12%
Skies of Arcadia 4%
Virtua Figher 0%
Virtual On 0%
Virtua Racing 0%
Space Harrier 0%
After Burner 4%
Alex Kidd 4%
Ristar 0%
Valkyria Chronicles 8%
Crazy Taxi 0%
Phantasy Star 4%
Shining Force 0%
House of the Dead 0%
Gunstar Heroes 0%
Guardian Heroes 0%
Burning Rangers 0%
Space Channel 5 0%
Ecco the Dolphin 0%
Jet Set Radio 4%
Super Monkey Ball 12%
Chu Chu Rocket 0%
Columns 0%
Golden Axe 0%
Yakuza 4%
Other 4%

This is my "save for a rainy day" topic, and since it's literally raining today, I thought I might as well ask.

SEGA has a A LOT of IP's, and most of them haven't seen the light of day in a long time, so I thought putting this in the retro forum was better than having it in the games discussion or system wars.

For me, if I were to rank the ones I like the most, it'd go:

1. Streets of Rage
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog
  3. NiGHTS
  4. Gunstar Heroes
  5. Panzer Dragoon
  6. Shinobi
  7. Guardian Heroes
  8. Virtua Fighter
  9. Shenmue
  10. Skies of Arcadia
  11. Virtual On
  12. House of the Dead
  13. Valkyria Chronicles
  14. Virtua Cop
  15. Ristar
  16. Last Bronx
  17. Space Harrier
  18. Virtua Racing
  19. Manx TT Super Bike
  20. Crazy Taxi

Streets of Rage is my overall favorite, because it's the one series that I can enjoy by myself or play with someone that's familiar with it, or not, and always have a good time. They're just fun to play no matter what the situation, and that's what I value most in a game.

So what's your favorite(s)?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The Sega games that I had the most fun with were the Super Monkey Ball games on Gamecube. Sadly, the series has been downhill since then, but the Monkey Ball games on Gamecube were amazing games to play alone or with friends.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

You're asking too much! I can't settle on one...

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts
@Exceed20XX said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to edit the poll to let users have multiple votes, but gamespot is going to gamespot. You can list more than one though. :P

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Sonic, but honorable mention goes to Nights. To be honest I sort of view Nights as a Sonic title, especially since Saturn never got a real one. And I always wished there was a 3D Sonic using inertia physics similar to Nights, but it never happened. I guess it would be weird since players would feel like Sonic is running on ice.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

Curious, wouldn't Gunstar and Guardian Heroes not be Sega IPs directly? To my understanding those were Treasure's doing unlike the rest of the list which ties back to Sega directly in one form or another.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Renegade_Fury

@Exceed20XX: I checked before making the thread, and I believe SEGA owns Gunstar Heroes similarly to how they own Bayonetta even though Platinum is the one that developed it. Guardian Heroes, I have no idea, but I decided to put it down since SEGA was still the one that published the remake for the 360 and PS3.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renegade_Fury

@final_lap said:

Sonic, but honorable mention goes to Nights. To be honest I sort of view Nights as a Sonic title, especially since Saturn never got a real one. And I always wished there was a 3D Sonic using inertia physics similar to Nights, but it never happened. I guess it would be weird since players would feel like Sonic is running on ice.

NiGHTS and Sonic definitely share a lot of similarities for sure, and it makes sense since Yuji Naka was the main developer behind both of them. Have you played Rodea the Sky Soldier? It's basically a Sonic X NiGHTS 3D platformer that just came out, and it was also made by Yuji Naka.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

@Exceed20XX said:

Yeah...so much this.. lol. I always have a hard time narrowing genres down to top 10 lists, let alone this.

Of the games listed, my favorites are

Streets of Rage

Panzer Dragoon

Shining Force

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

urgh can't pick!

Of the list, I can cull down these top 5... (but won't even stand by the order :-P )

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
  2. Skies of Arcadia
  3. Valkyria Chronicles
  4. Ristar
  5. Crazy Taxi

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

The Sega games that I had the most fun with were the Super Monkey Ball games on Gamecube. Sadly, the series has been downhill since then, but the Monkey Ball games on Gamecube were amazing games to play alone or with friends.

This and F-Zero GX. Man I miss Amusement Vision.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Valkyria has a special place for me, but streets of rage right behind it.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

1. Sonic
2. Shining
3. Panzer Dragoon
4. Shinobi
5. Streets of Rage
6. Gunstar Heroes
7. Valkyria Chronicles
8. Super Monkey Ball
9. Phantasy Star
10. Wonder Boy
11. Puyo Puyo
12. Virtua Fighter
13. NiGHTS
14. Dragon Force
15. Out Run
16. Virtual On
17. House of the Dead
18. Shenmue
19. Golden Axe
20. Fantasy Zone

I think that's about right for my top 20. Some games just missed the list that I liked that would have been higher had their been more than one game in the series(Ristar, Skies of Arcadia, Gain Ground).

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Eikichi-Onizuka: Great list! Have you heard of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom? It's an "official" spiritual successor to the Wonder Boy/Monster World games, and is coming out next year.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

That´s a really though one for me to choose,I´d say among my very favourites are the Phantasy Star series(the single player games),Shenmue 1&2,Panzer Dragoon Saga,Shining Force(especially 3 with all the scenarios),Streets of Rage(I play the remake all the time lol),the Shinobi mega drive games,Skies of Arcadia,both Super Monaco GP games,Dragon Force, and obviously Sonic.

I also always really liked Last Battle on the mega drive,maybe because it was the first game I owned for the system,even though its pretty average. We got the censored version though,the japanese version is better.

Edit: A Wonder Boy sequel of sorts is coming next year? That´s pretty cool,I always liked that series.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eikichi-Onizuka

@Renegade_Fury Yeah, I didn't help fund it but will be looking out around release. I haven't played all the games in the series yet, still need to play a couple of them.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Arach666: Yeah, and Ryuichi Nishizawa, the creator of the series, is involved, as well as other famous SEGA guys, such as Yuzo Koshiro, are doing the soundtrack and so on. Here's a trailer:

Loading Video...

@Eikichi-Onizuka: Same here. I didn't help fund it either, but I'll definitely be interested in buying the game when it comes out.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Eikichi-Onizuka

It looks like Wonder Boy in Monster World which is probably my second favorite one so that's good. (I like Monster World IV the most)
The Dragon's Trap on Master System is also fun, didn't like Monster Lair much(the run n gun one).

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Streets of rage is the clear winner for me, picking 2nd best would be tough as most of those franchises are pretty solid.

Also super excited to see a new wonder boy game, that series was pretty fun, my favorite was the the one I played on turbografx 16, I think it was dragons curse but I may have the name wrong.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56410 Posts

Well I started off with Sonic during the golden age of games, so Sonic the Hedgehog it is.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Streets of Rage gets my vote. That series represents the very pinnacle of the brawler genre.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts
  • Golden Axe
  • Eternal Champions
  • Rad Mobile
  • Shenmue

Btw, Final Fight series > Streets of Rage series

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

Sonic even though SEGA has abused it in recent years. Sentimental favorite. Here's hoping they improve.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eikichi-Onizuka

@pimphand_gamer said:

Those can be fighting words, but I like both series. Final Fight 3 and Streets of Rage 2 are at the top of my beat em ups list.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renegade_Fury

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Those can be fighting words, but I like both series. Final Fight 3 and Streets of Rage 2 are at the top of my beat em ups list.

I personally don't like Final Fight very much, Final Fight CD included. To me it's Streets of Rage > Guardian Heroes > Chronicles of Mystara > Castle Crashers > everything else. I'd probably rank it higher than the Konami beat 'em ups though.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

So most people will say Sonic, which I love too. I went with Alex Kidd, such an awesome series...

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eikichi-Onizuka

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

I personally don't like Final Fight very much, Final Fight CD included. To me it's Streets of Rage > Guardian Heroes > Chronicles of Mystara > Castle Crashers > everything else. I'd probably rank it higher than the Konami beat 'em ups though.

I could never get into Guardian Heroes, looks like our opinions on those two are reversed. The D&D beat em' ups are great, they surpassed Knights of the Round for me once I got to play them.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

I could never get into Guardian Heroes, looks like our opinions on those two are reversed. The D&D beat em' ups are great, they surpassed Knights of the Round for me once I got to play them.

Yeah, I guess so, because I love everything about Guardian Heroes, including its wacky story, which surprisingly has a lot of moral ambiguity in regards to the choices that you can make. The reason I actually got into Chronicles of Mystara was because one of my friends told me it was similar to Guardian Heroes. He wasn't lying, because I can't count how many hours that I've spent playing these games, lol.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eikichi-Onizuka

I think for me it's the changing planes, don't care for it in Fatal Fury either.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Streets of rage seemed a little more generic though. Smaller sprites, background not really all that detailed. And what was up with Rage 2 with that ugly alien wall where these things popped out? I don't recall the details but all 3 just seemed so generic and bit much on the fighting clones. I know they all do quite a bit of clone enemies but seemed a bit much. Even back in the day I thought the series was generic.

But it's all preferences. My favorite Beat 'em ups are TMNT arcade, Knights of the Round, Rastan saga 3 and of course Mystara was great as well. Never played Guardian heroes, never had a Saturn but I might look into the BOR version if I can find a copy for PC, all I can find so far is xbox.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@pimphand_gamer:

Yeah, let's just chalk it up to preferences, because our opinions couldn't be any further apart. For one, I actually prefer the smaller sprites, because it lets me see more on screen, and it makes easier to navigate when I'm sliding or blitzing. :)

I wasn't aware that the Guardian Heroes remake was a 360 exclusive. If you can find a way to play it, I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

@Eikichi-Onizuka:

It does take some getting used to, for sure. Code of Princess is the only other beat 'em up that I know of that also has the plane changing, but that's because it was made by some of the same developers that made Guardian Heroes too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

No bayonetta or vanquish on your list? Tsk tsk...

Anyway bayonetta is my answer, followed by vanquish :p

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renegade_Fury
@Vatusus said:

No bayonetta or vanquish on your list? Tsk tsk...

Anyway bayonetta is my answer, followed by vanquish :p

There's a lot more I'm leaving off like Fantasy Zone, Out Run, Clockwork Knight, Sakura Wars, Dragon Force, SEGA Rally, Hang-On, Daytona, Hatsune Miku, Zaxxon, etc. The reason I left those two off in particular is because I think more people identify them with Platinum, and I'm not even sure if SEGA owns Vanquish to begin with. I absolutely love that game though.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

My top 5 in order:

Shenmue, Sonic (16 bit), Ecco, Streets of Rage, Comix Zone

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#34 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

I preferred the original Arcade version of Final Fight (and its faithful Sega CD conversion) over the SNES trilogy. I'd say Final Fight Arcade/CD is better than SOR1 and arguably as good as SOR3, though it falls short of SOR2. But the Final Fight SNES trilogy is weaker than the SOR trilogy.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Yeah, this was phenomonally hard. Sonic has quite a few strong games across its history. Yet Streets of Rage (1/2) and Gunstar Heroes are among my all time favourites. I decided not to go with Sonic as IMO SOR/Gunstar are better at their peak that Sonic was. After that I had to narrow it down further and went with SOR because it has two brilliant entries and one okay one (3 being the okay one) whereas Gunstar has one brilliant entry and one meh one (the meh one being Super Gunstar Heroes).

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

1. Yakuza

2. Virtua Fighter

3. Sonic

4. Crazy Taxi

5. Daytona USA

6. House of the Dead

7. Jet Set Radio

8. Valkyria Chronicles

9. Super Monkey Ball

10. After Burner

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

I can think of three: Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles and Shenmue. I cast my vote for Skies of Arcadia though.

Of course, if they were to make a Skies of Arcadia now, I can totally see them screwing it up.