Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Hmmm, color me mooaar interested but I dunno, GamePass or bust? lol :P

Anyway, the game's on my radar now. How about you SW?

Oh and I know, Ubibooby and all that jazz.

The Story.

Partial...

For full read, hit the link.

----

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/star-wars-outlaws-seems-like-the-other-side-of-mass-effect-s-coin/ar-BB1m1cr8?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=11a5cfa8a8fa4b6280432bb786be9af9&ei=12

Star Wars Outlaws Seems Like the Other Side of Mass Effect's Coin

Story by J. Scott Thurlow

• 1d • 4 min read

• Star Wars Outlaws is the first true open-world experience in the franchise, set for release on August 30, 2024.
  • Players will step into the shoes of smuggler and thief Kay Vess, who is focused on personal gain, instead of Commander Shepard and their goal to save humanity in Mass Effect.
  • This key difference in motivation should make for some largely different stories, even if Kay becomes more heroic as her narrative progresses.

Star Wars Outlaws, being developed by Ubisoft in conjunction with Massive Entertainment, is ready to arrive later this year as the latest game in the hugely popular IP. Though there have been dozens of entries under the banner over the years, Star Wars Outlaws will technically be the first truly open-world Star Wars experience. In this way, it shares an overarching connection to another epic sci-fi series with massive amounts of lore and history attached— BioWare's Mass Effect franchise.

BioWare itself is, of course, no stranger to Star Wars, as prior to Mass Effect, the studio's work on 2003's Knights of the Old Republic has since made it one of the most beloved and fascinating stories in Star Wars and beyond. KOTR is now regarded as a standout game of the era and a bonafide classic. Like it, Mass Effect incorporates heavily choice-driven narratives and factional reputation systems, along with third-person gameplay and RPG mechanics. Star Wars Outlaws is set to follow suit in many of these areas. However, there is an interesting contrast in a specific detail between the two, namely, the approach taken to their protagonists and their role in each's respective universe.

Currently set for an August 30, 2024, release date, Star Wars Outlaws experienced some controversy over its pre-order and deluxe editions.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22837 Posts

If outlaws was conceived to be a focused SP experience id be able to see the comparison.... The worry though is that because the game is so heavily built around micros and season passes etc, it's almost a shoe in that the sp experience is nowhere close to focused and is likely geared towards nickel and dimming consumers for paltry content.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

*sees Ubisoft*

No thanks.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

@TheEroica said:

If outlaws was conceived to be a focused SP experience id be able to see the comparison.... The worry though is that because the game is so heavily built around micros and season passes etc, it's almost a shoe in that the sp experience is nowhere close to focused and is likely geared towards nickel and dimming consumers for paltry content.

Ohhhh...

Hmm, okay, thanks for the info. ;)

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 951 Posts

Mark my words: the game will be a bust, commercially wise

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59204 Posts

Watching Tales Of The Empire, and then looking at the horrible mocap garbage they use on these games, it's quite funny.

Also Ubisoft, self-explanatory.

Get good reviews, play it, reality.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1336 Posts

This is the type of game that should sell well on playstation....

It's star wars ✅

It's a Unisoft game..Sony copy Unisoft.✅

And there's nothing to play on playstation.✅

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

Ubisoft+ or a bust😏

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9583 Posts

I still don't see the point of hiring a model if you aren't even going to use their likeness... and yes, I realize all the other woke talk bs and all that, but I'm hoping it turns out well. There are a lot of red flags, but I don't turn away from any game until I know for sure what to expect.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46495 Posts

I'm keeping my eye on this one but it's definitely not a day one.

I think it's dishonest to consumers to ask both 70 euro for a game and launch with day one DLC at the same time!! It's either one or the other.

In more lighthearted news I started playing Episode I - Pod racing after seeing Phantom Menace in cinemas last weekend.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

I know all anyone could talk about in the trailer was the bad haircut, but it's the animations in general that have me worried. There's a scene where the character jumps and just sort of pops into the air, then lands with a very stiff tumble that looks straight out of gen 6. If the game was a year off, that would be fine, but this thing is supposed to release in a couple months. I'm not expecting a finished product. Hope I'm wrong, because I'd be down to futz around the Star Wars universe for a bit.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39436 Posts

Star Wars Outlaws Seems Like the Other Side of Mass Effect Andromeda Coin

I agree

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

Looks good, cautiously optimistic.

@speedfreak48t5p said:

*sees Ubisoft*

No thanks.

I mean, why? They've been putting out some great games these past few years. Some stinkers, and I will always loathe them as a business, but they've got some great talent and games under the belt.

I get wanting to hate them, but this is by a solid developer, Massive Entertainment:

• Ground Control: awesome RTS
  • World in Conflict: awesome RTS
  • The Division 1/2: arguably the best example of a game-as-a-service in the loot-n-shoot arena. Better than Destiny, just not as popular.
  • Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora: great story-driven FPS that nails the atmosphere of the films, really fun, great locomotion and combat.

As far as I am concerned, they have a 100% success rate of making some really neat, interesting games that hit the sweet spot of having mass appeal but also having integrity and being well-made.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

@mrbojangles25: You forgot Prince of Persia: Lost Crown this year as it was the best Prince game I've enjoyed yet. Great 2D side game I recommend you get if you haven't played it already.

Edit: At the time of posting this. The game is on sale at the Ubisoft store.

Edit 2: Also, I for one enjoy playing most of Ubisoft's games and they never disappoint me. I think the hate they get here is oversaturating.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

@davillain said:

@mrbojangles25: You forgot Prince of Persia: Lost Crown this year as it was the best Prince game I've enjoyed yet. Great 2D side game I recommend you get if you haven't played it already.

Prince of Persia: Lost Crown was pretty good. The challenges were a bit brutal.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6458 Posts

It's Star Wars so it's an easy pass for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

@Pedro said:
@davillain said:

Prince of Persia: Lost Crown was pretty good. The challenges were a bit brutal.

Yeah been wanting to check it out but, well...I'm a no good stinking casual, I don't know if I am up for any challenges, much less brutal ones

@uninspiredcup said:

Watching Tales Of The Empire, and then looking at the horrible mocap garbage they use on these games, it's quite funny.

Also Ubisoft, self-explanatory.

Get good reviews, play it, reality.

Playing through Battlefield V right now and I have to agree, good motion capture work can really add to the immersion factor of a game. The way soldiers hop in and out of tanks, the different prone animations, melee animations, running, how the bodies seem to have real weight and inertia to them as they run and turn...really just looks good.

IIRC they used the same mo-cap tech they use in the Madden games, and apparently that is top-of-the-line stuff (even if the game Madden is trash franchise milking). They also did this well in Hellblade, too.

I don't know if comparing a game's animation to an animation's animation is really fair, though. Plus, you shouldn't take everything before the game's release as how it will be. But yeah I agree, pretty rough looking.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59204 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't know if comparing a game's animation to an animation's animation is really fair, though. Plus, you shouldn't take everything before the game's release as how it will be. But yeah I agree, pretty rough looking.

It's absolutely fair.

Practically everything from Tales OF The Empire, art-direction, animations etc.. can be done in games.

They just choose, to make this ugly ass shit instead. Because they aren't trying to make a cartoon, they are trying to make their own blockbuster movie. And every time, without fail, it's shit.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

The Ultimate Edition is selling for $129.99 digitally 🤢🤮

I'll wait a few months for a substantial discount.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

The Ultimate Edition is selling for $129.99 digitally 🤢🤮

I'll wait a few months for a substantial discount.

But it is the ultimate edition.😏

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

I'm an absolute hater of this game.

Looks like shit.

Hope it fails and Ubi looses jabillions on it