lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

So after I start to load a page and it starts filling out it still continues to load ads into the page, which I'm fine I'm not anti-ad or anything, but I am when the functionality of the pages prioritizes loading these stupid things first, I'm unable to scroll down the pages to read the forums because it's still loading ads, and when I issue commands to scroll down the page that go unresponsive, then the inputs start kicking in several seconds too late which results in overshooting where I'm trying to navigate to.

This became an issue years ago, I said something, you guys fixed it by the snap of your fingers, not sure what it was, but please do it again.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

GS website is not well optimised. I leave it a minute or more before I start using it. It requires waiting, otherwise you will be left staring at a frozen screen for ages as the javascript and ads all load in each time a new page loads.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9740 Posts

They have to fix this site on Chrome. I have the same problem. On Firefox it loads fast.

Madness808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Madness808
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

I have the same problem. My uBlock Origin has caused all web pages of both this site and IGN to lose functionality and become a broken white screen. I had to disable uBlock Origin so that the website would function again. And it's on Google Chrome too. Somebody should please fix the ads and adblock issues ASAP.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

So after I start to load a page and it starts filling out it still continues to load ads into the page, which I'm fine I'm not anti-ad or anything, but I am when the functionality of the pages prioritizes loading these stupid things first, I'm unable to scroll down the pages to read the forums because it's still loading ads, and when I issue commands to scroll down the page that go unresponsive, then the inputs start kicking in several seconds too late which results in overshooting where I'm trying to navigate to.

This became an issue years ago, I said something, you guys fixed it by the snap of your fingers, not sure what it was, but please do it again.

it's not that they prioritize loading the ads over the standard "fuc-tionality" - great unintentional pun btw, it's simply the volume of shit - trackers, ads, other bloat etc. - they're attempting to load is too much for your browser to handle in a performant manner.

hypothetically they could possibly optimise page load a little by deferring the loading of those things until the page has loaded and the user can interact, but the likelihood is the gs dev team have very little if any control over how those things are loaded.

in another thread, one of their devs said they are constantly battling with the marketing team over this stuff. clearly the marketing dept give zero fucks about your experience as a user. i feel for the devs