Is the GBA the best Portable console of all time?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts
state your side.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

• It's essentially 3 handhelds-in-one: GBA, GBC, & Original Game Boy.

• Awesome library of original games, SNES ports, and Nintendo first-party titles. Plus the added back-catalogs of Game Boy & GBC games. Mario games, Zelda games, Metroid games, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic Advance, Tony Hawk, Castlevania's, Tetris, and on and on and on.

• The backlit feature is best the way to play the above mentioned's libraries. The original Game Boy and GBC games just look magnificent on the backlit screen. And I don't know about later models, but compared to my original Nintendo DS's screen, the GBA-SP's actually looks better for GBA games.

• The flip-feature protects that awesome screen from accidental scratching

• The rechargable battery makes it easier on the wallet than previous handhelds.

• Speaking of the rechargable battery, it gives the GBA-SP longer periods of playtime vs. the old AA batteries.
RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RTCWGR1SCRB6H2
Member since 2012 • 271 Posts
psp and i think you know the reason
thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

psp and i think you know the reasonRTCWGR1SCRB6H2

;) I was just thinking that myself but didn't have the guts to imply it.

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
In my opinion, yes. The system's library stands incredibly tall by itself, but the additional backwards compatibility with GB and GBC carts makes it even better. I would probably need to buy a PSP before I could give a definitive answer, though.
jefferyjosephh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jefferyjosephh
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

I would agree that it is the best portable of all time. I love the SP version......small clam shape that fits in pocket and goes anywhere. It has amazing ports, great originals, and backwards compatable. I own PSP and DS as well, and while those are great systems, it is the GBA that gets the most playtime.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Pretty much. I can't fault it at all.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

It's my favorite handheld for sure. Actually, I might be willing to call it my favorite console period, not just including handhelds. For starters, it has a bunch of great ports of old home console games but it's original library is what I really love. It kept old school 2D gaming alive and had lots of original titles in the 16-bit style when everything else was going 3D. Plus, you have bawkwards compatibility w/ GB/GBC and there are a lot of real classics there as well.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

yeh

actually portable

and got dem klonoa 1-2games

gota have that

too bad no rocket knight

or any good sonic games

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

Just library v. library (not including backwards compatibility, which if included I think helps the DS more than the GBA)? I think DS takes the cake.

A lot of GBA's best games are not original installments, and if we were to just take things objectively and go to GameRankings, the amount games that have at least 10 reviews or more that have an average of 80% or more, GBA has 83 and DS has 106. We can talk about personal preference, but we can't really have an actual discussion if you just argue that your game that you like that not many others do is "sooooo" much better than that one game everyone loves except you. Emerald_Warrior gave an excellent point-by-point explanation of why he likes the GBA so much and how it helped improve handhelds in general using objective reasoning.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I think the DS and PSP are better and I'm not a fan of the PSP.

Avatar image for CrazyGamingJohn
CrazyGamingJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrazyGamingJohn
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
The GBA was definitely my favorite handheld console at the time, however the PSP is also a really good contender.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

yes so many great games were on it and everyone had one to trade and use the cord and stuff to do a form of multiplayer

loved it alot.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Lol what?

It's two gens behind.

So no.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

It's pretty dang awesome. The backwards compatibility, along with the huge variety in it's library, the GBA is a hard system to beat.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

IMO, the GBASP stands on the highest pillar of handheld gaming. It is the most portable, has a huge library of games not even including the libraries of its older brothers in the GB line, and has no region lock. I have some Japanese and a game that is only sold in the UK and all of them work fine. Once you include the library of the GB and GBC, there is no other handheld that could match its ammount of games. The 3DS is slowly gaining on it since it is compatible with the DS Original titles.

The PSP however is great until you upgrade the firmware. Then you're screwed. Not to say the PSP is not great by itself though. Missing out on all the mods they have for it though is a major bummer.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 almasdeathchild

Lol what?

It's two gens behind.

So no.

GreekGameManiac

oh joy now you're in legacy platforms.....

also cause it's two gens behind doesn't mean it doesnt hold up well today.

just cause it's new doesnt always=better

same applies with music,movies,tv

shocker isnt it?

jefferyjosephh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jefferyjosephh

Yeah, I actually think it holds up quite well with what the other handhelds are putting out today. I enjoy my PSP and DS, but honestly the GBA is the system that I absolutely LOVE! Other systems may be technically superior, but that is where I think they lose out in the handheld department. The handhelds are getting far too technical today. The GBA was as simple as it got, and you could even do minor repairs on it. To me.......nothing beats the 2D games.... Metroids, Zeldas, and the GBA Castlevanias.....and don't even get me started on the 2D Fire Emblems. They were Fire Emblem peak in my book. Throw in there the 2D FF ports and you have RPG goodness. And of course......GOLDEN SUN series are simply the best it gets in RPG on the GBA!

Sure it is 2 systems behind, but it is still tops in my book. Love the fact people are dumping their stuff on craigslist now and people like me who love legacy are able to snatch them up.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Yeah, I actually think it holds up quite well with what the other handhelds are putting out today. I enjoy my PSP and DS, but honestly the GBA is the system that I absolutely LOVE! Other systems may be technically superior, but that is where I think they lose out in the handheld department. The handhelds are getting far too technical today. The GBA was as simple as it got, and you could even do minor repairs on it. To me.......nothing beats the 2D games.... Metroids, Zeldas, and the GBA Castlevanias.....and don't even get me started on the 2D Fire Emblems. They were Fire Emblem peak in my book. Throw in there the 2D FF ports and you have RPG goodness. And of course......GOLDEN SUN series are simply the best it gets in RPG on the GBA!

Sure it is 2 systems behind, but it is still tops in my book. Love the fact people are dumping their stuff on craigslist now and people like me who love legacy are able to snatch them up.

jefferyjosephh
Yeah, its sad that people are dumping them but its beautiful for people like us who love collecting them. I like collecting Gameboys. I have a Gameboy Original, Light, Advance, 2 SP's (Backlit models) and 1 Gameboy Micro. Missing the Pocket, Color, and Frontlit GBASP. I'll have them eventually though.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreekGameManiac

shocker isnt it?

almasdeathchild

Lol i'm on Legacy Platforms everyday.:)

Contrary to what you think,i do like old games.

And no,you're wrong.

Videogames are a totally different format than music.

You can't say something like that.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

To me it was! Compared to the original GameBoy and PSP, I owned the GBA for the longest period of time. The games were awesome (and visually impressive for its time) and the backwards compatibilty just made it that much more awesome. I also remember having this light attachement mounted to the screen. Now that was badass...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Maybe so far. But 'all time' is still sort of going on...

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#24 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Yes it is the best.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

shocker isnt it?

GreekGameManiac

And no,you're wrong.

No, there is a certain similarity, though I will concede significantly less so in music. As technology increases, things like music and movies actually do become "technically" better. Music (as in, recorded works, not compositions): the sound quality increases, the amount of editing that can be done, etc. Movies: Film quality, special effects (CGI and the sort), etc. If an old game can be really good, it can dwarf its technological short-comings. Movies like Sunset Boulevard and Psycho are much better than most movies today, despite their technical shortcomings. In every medium, there are works that hold up, and works that don't. I don't feel The 39 Steps holds up well today, but Godfather does (and don't say something as ridiculous as "Godfather is different, it's timeless!" That's just an opinion). Zelda II, while a great game, doesn't hold up like Super Mario Bros. 3.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I'd have to say the DS because it has bc with the GBA, and it beats the crap out of the Gameboy line in terms of variety of games. The DS can also play all 5 generations of Pokemon thanks to the remakes of gens 1 and 2 along with all of those awesome GBA games. Losing out on GBC/GB BC sucks, but the DS's library is better to me.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

shocker isnt it?

homegirl2180

And no,you're wrong.

No, there is a certain similarity, though I will concede significantly less so in music. As technology increases, things like music and movies actually do become "technically" better. Music (as in, recorded works, not compositions): the sound quality increases, the amount of editing that can be done, etc. Movies: Film quality, special effects (CGI and the sort), etc. If an old game can be really good, it can dwarf its technological short-comings. Movies like Sunset Boulevard and Psycho are much better than most movies today, despite their technical shortcomings. In every medium, there are works that hold up, and works that don't. I don't feel The 39 Steps holds up well today, but Godfather does (and don't say something as ridiculous as "Godfather is different, it's timeless!" That's just an opinion). Zelda II, while a great game, doesn't hold up like Super Mario Bros. 3.

yeah what andre 3000 just said

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts

To me it was! Compared to the original GameBoy and PSP, I owned the GBA for the longest period of time. The games were awesome (and visually impressive for its time) and the backwards compatibilty just made it that much more awesome. I also remember having this light attachement mounted to the screen. Now that was badass...

Amster_G
Lol wut?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Amster_G"]

StatusShuffle

Lol wut?

What's wrong with that? It was visually impressive for a handheld, until PSP came out. Which was a few years down the road.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="Amster_G"]

Emerald_Warrior

Lol wut?

What's wrong with that? It was visually impressive for a handheld, until PSP came out. Which was a few years down the road.

No...... There were other handhelds than the GBA...
jefferyjosephh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jefferyjosephh

Gosh, I don't know......I still prefer great GBA 2D graphics to some of the stuff today. The 2D stuff is timeless.

I quite agree that the graphs are/were impressive.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] Lol wut?StatusShuffle

Neo-Geo Pocket Color? It didn't look better. N-Gage? Like the PSP, it came out a couple years down the road. Game.Com? No way. Game Boy Color? Again, no way.

As it aged, like any other system, yeah, it got stale. But when it came out, I can't think of another handheld that looked as good.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Neo-Geo Pocket Color? It didn't look better. N-Gage? Like the PSP, it came out a couple years down the road. Game.Com? No way. Game Boy Color? Again, no way.

As it aged, like any other system, yeah, it got stale. But when it came out, I can't think of another handheld that looked as good.

GP32? Wonderswan color/Crystal? leapster?(Yeah I went that far.) Off the top of my head.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] No...... There were other handhelds than the GBA...StatusShuffle

GP32? Wonderswan color/Crystal? leapster?(Yeah I went that far.) Off the top of my head.

The Wonderswan Crystal was very impressive when it came out. But not as impressive as GBA. From what I've read, it was the GBA that helped retire the WonderSwan.

I never even heard of the GP32 until you just mentioned it. And Googling it tells me it was released in Korea...really? That's your shining example. And Leapster? Come on.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StatusShuffle

Emerald_Warrior

The Wonderswan Crystal was very impressive when it came out. But not as impressive as GBA. From what I've read, it was the GBA that helped retire the WonderSwan.

I never even heard of the GP32 until you just mentioned it. And Googling it tells me it was released in Korea...really? That's your shining example. And Leapster? Come on.

It was RELEASED in Korea you had to ORDER it to get the system but it was not KOREAN only and thousands had it. Also yes, Leapster, YES LEAPSTER HAD A LIBRARY OF GAMES. Which is embarrasing since they put terrible effort in that thing. Also, Swancrystal was pretty much on par with GBA, I have no idea how the GBA retiring it made it less powerful, and to be honest, that's also not the real reason it dropped out, but the first point remains the same. using your logic the Vita is weaker than the 3DS at the moment.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] GP32? Wonderswan color/Crystal? leapster?(Yeah I went that far.) Off the top of my head.StatusShuffle

It was RELEASED in Korea you had to ORDER it to get the system but it was not KOREAN only and thousands had it. Also yes, Leapster, YES LEAPSTER HAD A LIBRARY OF GAMES. Which is embarrasing since they put terrible effort in that thing. Also, Swancrystal was pretty much on par with GBA, I have no idea how the GBA retiring it made it less powerful, and to be honest, that's also not the real reason it dropped out, but the first point remains the same. using your logic the Vita is weaker than the 3DS at the moment.

Like I said, the Wonderswan Color was very impressive. But the GBA could do things that the WonderSwan Color could not, such as pre-rendered CGI. And 3D. It wasn't great looking, but it was there. Clearly a mark that GBA has better graphics.

And yeah, I'm not even responding to the completely obscure Korean system and Leapster. That's freaking funny!

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StatusShuffle

Emerald_Warrior

Like I said, the Wonderswan Color was very impressive. But the GBA could do things that the WonderSwan Color could not, such as pre-rendered CGI. And 3D. It wasn't great looking, but it was there. Clearly a mark that GBA has better graphics.

And yeah, I'm not even responding to the completely obscure Korean system and Leapster. That's freaking funny!

yeah obscure. leapster sold millions, and uh, you don;t know what is is, so because you are wrong you can't reply. i understand. Has to be over 40 million to be good, regular millions like 15ish or so, is unsuccessful :roll: G32 sold hundreds of thousands, i know this because I have one. Hey but the TG-16 is Obscure, to most people in the U.S., so I laugh at your wife for buying you a sh!tty present! That's freaking funny! Because everything must sell over 50 million to be relevant! I would get an immediate divorce. Come back later when you stop spinning things because you never heard of them personally!
Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts
Is the GBA less powerful than the Turbografx-16 or around just a powerful or more?
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StatusShuffle
Is the GBA less powerful than the Turbografx-16 or around just a powerful or more?Dj-Dampleaf
The GBA is a low-end, but still 32-bit.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] It was RELEASED in Korea you had to ORDER it to get the system but it was not KOREAN only and thousands had it. Also yes, Leapster, YES LEAPSTER HAD A LIBRARY OF GAMES. Which is embarrasing since they put terrible effort in that thing. Also, Swancrystal was pretty much on par with GBA, I have no idea how the GBA retiring it made it less powerful, and to be honest, that's also not the real reason it dropped out, but the first point remains the same. using your logic the Vita is weaker than the 3DS at the moment.StatusShuffle

yeah obscure. leapster sold millions, and uh, you don;t know what is is, so because you are wrong you can't reply. i understand. Has to be over 40 million to be good, regular millions like 15ish or so, is unsuccessful :roll: G32 sold hundreds of thousands, i know this because I have one. Hey but the TG-16 is Obscure, to most people in the U.S., so I laugh at your wife for buying you a sh!tty present! That's freaking funny! Because everything must sell over 50 million to be relevant! I would get an immediate divorce. Come back later when you stop spinning things because you never heard of them personally!

Attacking my wife, completely over the line. Reported.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StatusShuffle

Emerald_Warrior

It wasn't an attack, learn to read in context. False reports are not allowed on Gamespot. No insult or anything was directed toward her in anyway, i used your own logic against you and used her as an example of what you would think using your own logic proving your logic is flawed, but nothing was directed. or any other definition of "Attack" Mods aren't stupid they can read. Thanks for trying though. Next time try not to brush things aside and think the whole world doesn't know about it because you as a person, do not. Doesn't work that way.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
I prefer DS honestly. Don't get me wrong, GB series is great, but I like the DS family (Lite is the best model) a hell of a lot more.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] yeah obscure. leapster sold millions, and uh, you don;t know what is is, so because you are wrong you can't reply. i understand. Has to be over 40 million to be good, regular millions like 15ish or so, is unsuccessful :roll: G32 sold hundreds of thousands, i know this because I have one. Hey but the TG-16 is Obscure, to most people in the U.S., so I laugh at your wife for buying you a sh!tty present! That's freaking funny! Because everything must sell over 50 million to be relevant! I would get an immediate divorce. Come back later when you stop spinning things because you never heard of them personally!StatusShuffle

It wasn't an attack, learn to read in context. False reports are not allowed on Gamespot. No insult or anything was directed toward her in anyway, i used your own logic against you and used her as an example of what you would think using your own logic proving your logic is flawed, but nothing was directed. or any other definition of "Attack" Mods aren't stupid they can read. Thanks for trying though. Next time try not to brush things aside and think the whole world doesn't know about it because you as a person, do not. Doesn't work that way.

This is pathetic.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

Ragnarok1051

This is pathetic.

Statusshuffle did someone piss in your cheerios? :lol:
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GreekGameManiac

>_>

Can we just go back to the point of this thread like civilised persons?

Thank you.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#48 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

>_>

Thank you.

GreekGameManiac

Yes. GBA is the best handheld of all time. :P

Graphically, I don't think it's that impressive then or now. SNES graphics in 2001? I mean, come on... Good for a handheld, maybe. I don't really care about graphics from a technical standpoint anyway. Graphics either work for the games or they don't. GBA couldn't do the realistic graphics of the home consoles at the time but in my opinion more than made up for it w/ unique 2D games that often offer refinement over the classic 16-bit era games that are (justifiably) so well respected around here.

FeiYenKen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 FeiYenKen
Member since 2010 • 247 Posts

no u got it all wrong 41fVkY8kuQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg(trollface)

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#50 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

>_>

Thank you.

GreekGameManiac
Yes please! It used to be mine for more than half a decade. Now it's the PSP, but the GBA is still really close :D