DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

Just been watching this video. I live near tsunami zone territory. Don't really have a plan. In my car I have a sleeping bag, a tent, flashlight, work gloves, and a saw. Someone asked me what I'd use it for. The answer is I don't know. But it would suck to be stuck somewhere in the cold.

Do you have a contingency plan or plans for anything?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

while everyone else is sitting around going "do doo do-do do-do-doo-do-dooo" i'll be taking the only bridge out of town! meanwhile everyone else will still be sitting around going "do-do doo doo-doo do"

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

None at all.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4274 Posts

I do. But I don’t need a sleeping bag or tent. Just my trusty hat to fend off the elements of weather, + a flashlight to see at night. I have it covered.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts
One tablet
One tablet

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

@SOedipus: Nice.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Not if a tsunami hit - I'd get soaked.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

Nope. I do want to make a "go bag" with basic essential like clothes, blanket, cash, water, protein bars, and a medkit...but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I live in a really good area. Never too cold, never too hot, plenty of water and far enough away from large cities but close enough to modestly sized towns. I'm also in a semi-rural area and we take care of our eachother out here. Need water? Food? Housing? No problem.

California get's a terrible earthquake every few years but our infrastructure is generally good enough these days it's not as bad as how it used to be, or how it is in other countries.

With that said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely unworried by the massive fault line two miles from me that is allegedly 50 years overdo for a massive, region-crushing release.

*stares out the window into the distance*

Also wildfires are getting bad.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 outworld222

@mrbojangles25: say…I agree with your basic items stuff, but would you be concerned if the emergence was prolonged?? Then medical stuff would run out?? It’s something I constantly think about.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts
@outworld222 said:

@mrbojangles25: say…I agree with your basic items stuff, but would you be concerned if the emergence was prolonged?? Then medical stuff would run out?? It’s something I constantly think about.

Nah, I'd only pack enough stuff for a week. And honestly, at that point, the water in your body, the clothes are your back, that's enough to last you a week.

The go bag is more just so you don't have nothing, you know? Like I don't really want to go two or three weeks with one pair of underwear and socks, I'd rather have like three pairs so I can have one or two washed while I'm wearing one.

The biggest issue with survivalists and hoarders is they think that society will flat-out collapse. It won't. People will still grow crops. People will craft items. We just won't have abundance. But nobody is going to starve.

The only reason people starve in this modern era is because of resource hoarding, corruption, and an unwillingness or inability to distribute. There's more than enough food to go around; the problem is there's also more than enough greedy warlords, exploitive capitalists, and average people who are afraid their shit will run out.

Read up on the potato famine. There was literally no reason all those Irish people should have died. There was so much food within a boat ride of Ireland, we should almost classify it as genocide what happened to the Irish. It wasn't a natural disaster. Fun fact: the Irish population, to this day, still has not recovered from the famine.

Woops went on a bit of a rant there. I just really don't like survivalist culture and crap like that. It's dumb and a self-fulfilling prophecy of shit. Remember the toilet paper shortage? There wasn't actually a shortage of TP, people just thought there would be and they bought all the TP so there wasn;t enough lol. Idiots.

*The only thing I would really worry about are people with really bad pre-existing conditions that require medication. Things like diabetes and asthma. And, again, you can actually make OK medicine in your basement with equipment we just settle for big pharma...but it'd certainly be a challenge. I've got a family member that's type 1 and I occasionally think "Man, would she even make it a month? A year? Or would it be a death sentence in a post-society world?"

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By outworld222

Wow! Can’t believe that about the Irish. That they haven’t recovered, even to this day!

I understand about hoarders, they’re very misguided IMV, but I would say…if a natural disaster happens, there’s a romantic notion of being this tough guy who can survive for weeks or even for months.

I don’t know I may be misguided myself, I think we’re very pampered as a society and we need, actually demand basic needs.

We need our TVs and clean cloth and video games on demand. First world problems and such.

Anyways. No need to think about something that’s not a current even. Cheers. 😎

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

@outworld222: most will survive through cooperation. Not by themselves.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59323 Posts

Had an anal fissure a year or two back. Outside of ripping my arm muscle when tripped over a hoover cord (very dramatic) it's probably the single most physical painful thing experience. Lit feels like someone broke a bottle and shoved a large shard of glass up your ass. So Always keep these on the window. Even a hint of a solid stool use them.