deactivated-64a053ed12419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-64a053ed12419
Member since 2023 • 161 Posts

I cant tolerate that windows os. It gives me 'Blue Screen of death' phenomena.

Who migrated too?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17908 Posts

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Lynux is a good OS and it's free so no biggie.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3497 Posts

Get on the Mac OS bandwagon, mate.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I'm running both Windows and Linux, the latter for work purposes. Outside of that though, I'm all in favor of Windows and can't see that changing any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-64a053ed12419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-64a053ed12419

@johnd13: I didnt like windows. It has all kind of bloatware that comes with it. It violates your privacy,

it requires a restart to make an update, it is less secure and as I said before it crashes when used over time.

I am learning how to master Linux. It would take time, but it would be worth it.

Windows users are for old people that are bad with technology and gamers. I am neither of these.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

I've been using Linux as my main desktop OS for a few years now.

https://endeavouros.com/

I use regular Arch on my laptop.

I still maintain Windows on another drive as well for SolidWorks.

And, of course, all my servers run Linux. Right tool for the job.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-64a053ed12419

Well, I installed it, and I am happy with it.

It has no bloatware like that microsoft's 'OneDrive.'

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

@plasticpie: What version did you do with?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-64a053ed12419

@pyro1245: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@plasticpie: You're not wrong. Personally I neither get crashes nor care enough about all those things to permanently migrate to Linux. But it is safer, more lightweight and allows you to customize the OS on a deeper level though at the cost of user-friendliness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-64a053ed12419

@johnd13: Do you know why the majority of the servers in cloud providers use linux?

It is because it is stable, lighter, there are a lot of distros to choose from and doesnt require a restart after an update.

I love my Linux. **** windows, for all the problems it caused me over the years!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

i tried once or twice to make the switch over. problem is shit just doesn't work right out of the box like it does in windows. want to add some peripheral or maybe a second monitor or something simple? ok, you need to download and compile new libraries from a repository. but do download and compile the new libraries you first need to download and compile libraries from a separate repository. that repository not working? well, you can try to get help online, of which there lots of, but it is shit quality and seldom will give you the answer you're actually looking for.

"hi, i'm running <insert one of 50 distros here>, i'd like to do <insert trivial thing that works under windows here>

response 1: "why are you running <insert one of 50 distros here>?? it's shit, you should be running <insert different one of 50 distros here>

response 2: "**** you, <insert different one of 50 distros here> is crap, you should be using <insert second different one of 50 distros here>"

response 3: "you dummy, don't you know <insert second different one of 50 distros here> is terrible every since the update to v1.2.3.211.221.13.33. v1.2.3.211.221.13.32 was SOOO much better"

response 3: "oh, you can't do that unless you recompile your kernel and add these 1200 patches, here's a 25 step guide on how to do that, but it's for a different distro than you're running, so it probably won't work"

desktop, gui based linux is like 3d printing. it's not something that just works out of the box. you need to look at it as a hobby you're going to be spending hours on trying to get it working. if you have the time, drive, and patience for that, you can usually get what you need done. some of us just need a pc that just fucking works right now.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

Best of luck to you. I've always been curious about Linux (or any other OS that isn't Windows or Mac), but they are just sound terrible if you just want things to work out of the box.

If you're a programmer, tinkerer, do-it-yourself'er...I'm sure Linux is good for you.

@comp_atkins said:

...some of us just need a pc that just works right now.

Pretty much this.

I've got my personal issues with MS and Windows isn't perfect, but a lot of the problems OP said are problems can be resolved by uninstalling the bloatware, disabling certain services, and some other stuff.

Is it a pain? Sure. Is it as bad as trying to get Linux to run 50% as well as Windows does? Not even close.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Best of luck to you. I've always been curious about Linux (or any other OS that isn't Windows or Mac), but they are just sound terrible if you just want things to work out of the box.

If you're a programmer, tinkerer, do-it-yourself'er...I'm sure Linux is good for you.

@comp_atkins said:

Pretty much this.

I've got my personal issues with MS and Windows isn't perfect, but a lot of the problems OP said are problems can be resolved by uninstalling the bloatware, disabling certain services, and some other stuff.

Is it a pain? Sure. Is it as bad as trying to get Linux to run 50% as well as Windows does? Not even close.

I finally migrated to Windows 11 yesterday. And when I say migrated I mean I have to format and start the install all over 3 times to get it right.

Apparently, you want to keep running Windows Updates right after an fresh install and let it install a bunch of old drivers. You know, before you install the newer drivers you've download onto a stick. If you install the newer drivers before it installs the old drivers, it's gonna install the old drivers over your new drivers. Then you are fucked.

Install Windows 11. Update. Restart. Update. Restart. Update. Restart. Update. Restart. Keep doing that till it gets nothing. Then you can install the new stuff.

What a pain in the ass.

Edit: Dem Win 95/98 days when all you had to do was make a batch installer on a floppy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25

@br0kenrabbit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@comp_atkins said:

Pretty much this.

I finally migrated to Windows 11 yesterday. And when I say migrated I mean I have to format and start the install all over 3 times to get it right.

Apparently, you want to keep running Windows Updates right after an fresh install and let it install a bunch of old drivers. You know, before you install the newer drivers you've download onto a stick. If you install the newer drivers before it installs the old drivers, it's gonna install the old drivers over your new drivers. Then you are fucked.

Install Windows 11. Update. Restart. Update. Restart. Update. Restart. Update. Restart. Keep doing that till it gets nothing. Then you can install the new stuff.

What a pain in the ass.

Edit: Dem Win 95/98 days when all you had to do was make a batch installer on a floppy.

Were you restarting automatically or when prompted?

Have just reinstalled Windows 10 myself, I had to go through a similar ordeal, but I just waited until all the updates were downloaded before restarting.

But yes, there were about 4-5 updates, all requiring restarts. But you can get away with just one restart if you wait for them to download and install.

Might be different for Windows 11 though, I don't know. My parts are "Windows 11 compatible" (whatever that means...) but I'm sticking with Win 10 for a little while longer.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By br0kenrabbit
@mrbojangles25 said:

Were you restarting automatically or when prompted?

Have just reinstalled Windows 10 myself, I had to go through a similar ordeal, but I just waited until all the updates were downloaded before restarting.

But yes, there were about 4-5 updates, all requiring restarts. But you can get away with just one restart if you wait for them to download and install.

Might be different for Windows 11 though, I don't know. My parts are "Windows 11 compatible" (whatever that means...) but I'm sticking with Win 10 for a little while longer.

That's the thing, it would say I'm all up to date UNLESS I clicked on CHECK FOR UPDATES. Right after a clean install. So I was going ahead and installing new drivers, at which point it would trigger the Updates and install them automatically.

I had to fresh install, and manually click Check for Updates and let it do all its stuff. A few times. I finally managed to reboot three times in a row clicking Check for Updates in between without it finding any drivers or .net updates or whatever.

Also, half the Windows 11 install is ad pitches. No joke.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By br0kenrabbit

Figured I'd add and addendum.

I've been thinking this may be my last high(ish)-end PC. I'm at that age where I really want to reduce complexities in my life. A Chromebook and a Console are starting to sound more and more appealing.

Hardware prices have gone nuts. Especially videocards. And this OS-as-a-service system just makes everything more complicated. Some games want the latest drivers, some games want earlier drivers because those games aren't updated anymore. Yeah I can work through it, but I'm getting too old and grumpy to actually want to.

Consoles are there, now. For a long time they were way behind PCs in features and ability. Sure, you can have a few extra graphical features and framerate on a high-end PC, but in this day is the difference really all that much?

I dunno. I'd hate to lose my Steam library, but it's becoming a pain-in-the-ass. I hate when my OS does things all by itself. Stahp.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

@br0kenrabbit: well you have to do what's best for you. Sorry you experienced these hardships. I can't say I have experienced a fraction of them.

Maybe sleep on it? Would hate to lose you to the dark side (consoles) because of a little inconvenience you experienced during a fresh install. I mean, the worst is behind you at this point now that you're up and running.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 br0kenrabbit

@mrbojangles25 said:

@br0kenrabbit: well you have to do what's best for you. Sorry you experienced these hardships. I can't say I have experienced a fraction of them.

Maybe sleep on it? Would hate to lose you to the dark side (consoles) because of a little inconvenience you experienced during a fresh install. I mean, the worst is behind you at this point now that you're up and running.

Oh no it's not just that one thing. Have you seen the prices for GPUs? They're not coming back down. Gone are the days of decent GPUs starting at $299.

I'm sitting further and further back from my screen as my eyes slowly decay in my head. Pretty soon I'm gonna need a big-screen TV and a couch.

Sitting in a chair for hours on end during gaming is taking its toll. I've got a good expensive desk chair and have tried many others, it's just the sitting posture in general that's getting to me.

And there's the fact that I am not a regular gamer, anymore. Sometimes I'll get hooked on a game and pump 100 hours into in a flash, but then I can go weeks or months doing nothing more than piddling around in a game or two if any.

It seems games these days are focusing too much on integrating as many systems as they can instead of letting the game play out. I'm honestly finding myself on my NES Mini as much as I am the PC. Nothing wrong with that, though, sometimes I just want to game and not have to feel like I'm working while playing.

I dunno. I'm not happy where I see the PC market going on several fronts. AMD and nVidia are both being greedy WHORES, Asus and Gigabyte were my two favorite brands and now they've both betrayed us. I heard about a GPU board company the other day that was refusing the honor their warranty when their video cards cracked, can't remember which it was.

The PC market as we know it is going away. PCs killer app was The Internet, and now you can get that on an underwater potato. Anyone that needs to do a little light office work can spend a $500+ on a laptop or a flat $200 on a Chromebook.

The PC has lost its niche, is what I'm saying. There's gaming, and creators, and professionals, but Joe Public doesn't need a PC anymore.

Which means prices will continue to rise as demand falls, because they will produce less hardware and need to make their margins.

I've not yet given up on PC gaming, but I'm not following it off a cliff, either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-64a053ed12419

I dont know if I mentioned it, but if you choose Linux, you can choose to buy a really weak pc.

A lot of distros are capable on running on a weak hardware.