Fire Drill - OT After Hours Discussion

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Thanks to everyone for participating in the fire drill in regards to the recent announcement about creating an Off Topic After Hours Board. It appears that there are a great deal of you that are passionate about this particular subject so we'll be democratic about it. We have created a poll allowing you to voice your opinions on this particular subject.

Just to be clear these are the things you will no longer be able to post in Off Topic:

The ability to mock other users while in OT.

Going off topic in a thread.

Posting content that could be considered grim or shocking.

Hot Chick Threads.

Tap that Threads.

[spoiler]

Original post: So we're seeing a lot of confusion about the After Hours board.

Comments like:"OH MY GOD ITS THE DEATH OF OFF TOPIC!!!" or"Its a board dedicated to sex." or"Why can't we keep it one forum?"
I'll go ahead and clear these points up:

1. I seriously doubt it being "the death of Off-Topic" as it is a community and its what you want to make of it.
2. Its NOT a board just about sex, those were just the majority of topics that got moved over in the beginning. The idea behind the board is to give people who want to troll, want to flame, want to have controversial opinions a place to post. You want to be rude to someone, feel free and post there. Why did we do that? Well after several of you wrote in through PM's, Unions, Customer Support and Forum posts we decided that this might be a solution to make everyone happy. The people who enjoyed the super relaxed rules would have a place they could say what they wanted (within reason) while those of you who desired the days of GameSpot Past and have the experienceof pleasant posting could have that as well.
3. Because you (the community) has expressed that you have different needs and this way your needs can be met.

Jody and I will be taking questions, comments and yes even suggestions about the new board.

[/spoiler]

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
So will the "old" OT go back to the rules that got poor old me sent to purgatory? After party here I come.
hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts
GREAT IDEA SYNTHIA!
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Way to completely ignor the fact that almost nobody wants the seperate forums. Explaining what OTAH is doesn't fix that.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrPraline
GREAT IDEA SYNTHIA!hadoken
Please go to after hours so I can call you a c- classy poster
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrPraline

Way to completely ignor the fact that almost nobody wants the seperate forums.

Pirate700
Yeah, I do understand the concept but all it will do is split up activity. And um, if after party becomes a cesspool of trolls and flame wars, I'm not sure we should move serious, but controversial debates like gay marriage there.
TheWZRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheWZRD
Member since 2012 • 605 Posts

Teh awesome sauce!

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Cool.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

This is such a terrible idea that Staff must have thought of it. Troll of the year, indeed. At least trolling OT will require skill again. (e.g., no more hadokens, more rawsavon-esque trolling)

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

Synthia, I'm sure you've seen the thread from yesterday about the new OTAH. I'm not sure exactly where the site got the idea this is what OT'ers wanted, but clearly the info you collected was inaccurate.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 digitaldame

Way to completely ignor the fact that almost nobody wants the seperate forums. Explaining what OTAH is doesn't fix that.

Pirate700
Which is why we're giving you a chance to voice that opinion/concern. If you have valid arguments about why it wont work or how it hurts the community that would be a suggestion and as stated in the original post, Jody and I are up to taking them.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Synthia

Which is why we're giving you a chance to voice that opinion/concern. If you have valid arguments about why it wont work or how it hurts the community that would be a suggestion and as stated in the original post, Jody and I are up to taking them.

Well the obvious negative is splitting up a forum that is already seeing declining activity isn't a prudent move.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 digitaldame

This is such a terrible idea that Staff must have thought of it. Troll of the year, indeed. At least trolling OT will require skill again. (e.g., no more hadokens, more rawsavon-esque trolling)

coolbeans90
So then is that your way of saying that you enjoy the new rules for Off Topic, but you simply see no need for a board to post flame-inducing topics?
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I want a firey fire drill, that'd be sweet. I'd drill all the meat and lick all the melted treats.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrPraline
"while those of you who desired the days of GameSpot Past and have the experienceof pleasant posting could have that as well." Or they can post about their pie, Pepsi and pizza in their unions. Favourite colours, candy and cookies. Hot seats and inane posting 101. But sure, let tears take over and drown OT from within. post tentatively reported
SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

Are you able to revive old OTers? Ackad (friend) never posted anything bad here.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Synthia

So then is that your way of saying that you enjoy the new rules for Off Topic, but you simply see no need for a board to post flame-inducing topics?

I won't speak for him, but I would rather have the more loose rules in one forum than two separate forums with separate rules, with neither getting much activity.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
What is the metric that will be used to determine whether or not after hours is a success? If it is a failure will it be struck down with the force of a thousand mods?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts
now i gotta visit 2 boards... grrr.
TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
Lets look at the options here 1) OT gets split in half,leading to less active forums and possibly less users because of this 2) OT is the only one used,leading to bans and people leaving due to the new TOU 3) OT goes dead as everyone goes to OTAH,making everything the same as before only with a new board
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrPraline
What is the metric that will be used to determine whether or not after hours is a success? If it is a failure will it be struck down with the force of a thousand mods? -Sun_Tzu-
The yield on the Kleenex shares Staff holds, probably.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Synthia"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Pirate700

I won't speak for him, but I would rather have the more loose rules in one forum than two separate forums with separate rules, with neither getting much activity.

He wasn't speaking for me, but he took the words out of my mouth.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 digitaldame

What is the metric that will be used to determine whether or not after hours is a success? If it is a failure will it be struck down with the force of a thousand mods? -Sun_Tzu-
We'll be monitoring the analytics of the pages pretty heavily over the next few weeks to see what the traffic looks like, yes. What effect this will have on the fate of OTAH that is at this moment is undetermined.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
I don't really like it.:(
SeventhEntity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SeventhEntity
Member since 2011 • 378 Posts
>The idea behind the board is to give people who want to troll, want to flame, want to have controversial opinions a place to post Isn't that why OT exists?
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

The rules here have been changed so much that almost nothing qualifies as trolling anymore. If someone still can't express themselves properly under these circumstances, do you really want them on your forum at all? Is there at all a desire for meaningful discussion, or do you just want poop flinging?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pirate700

>The idea behind the board is to give people who want to troll, want to flame, want to have controversial opinions a place to post Isn't that why OT exists?SeventhEntity
No, it's not...

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrPraline
Will After Hours at least have working html coding?
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
this is a horrible idea synthia, you should feel ashamed of yourself.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pirate700

this is a horrible idea synthia, you should feel ashamed of yourself.ZumaJones07
:lol: Wow...I actually have to agree with you here. Everyone in charge of this decision should be ashamed. It's just beyond idiotic.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Why not simply have more Mods around OT to supervise activity here and simple merge the rules from both forums... Seriously having 2 forums for the same thing is not a good idea.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Jody and I will be taking questions, comments and yes even suggestions about the new board.

Synthia

What do you mean by NSFW is allowed?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Is OT back to the old rule set? B/c the OT rules faq still says that you "mostly moderate offensive, illegal, and advertising content".
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Can't you keep but forbidding anyone from making an RC over there? I mean we already got one right? And 2 RCs may confuse the regulars that go there.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 digitaldame
this is a horrible idea synthia, you should feel ashamed of yourself.ZumaJones07
For taking questions and being concerned about the OT community? Or for trying to give trolls a place to post? Or perhaps both?
Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
Am sad.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pirate700

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]this is a horrible idea synthia, you should feel ashamed of yourself.Synthia
For taking questions and being concerned about the OT community? Or for trying to give trolls a place to post? Or perhaps both?

Certainly the latter and for splitting the forums. Why should trolls (actually trolls, not people joking around) have a place to post?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 digitaldame
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Is OT back to the old rule set? B/c the OT rules faq still says that you "mostly moderate offensive, illegal, and advertising content".

We've added a few pieces about being respectful and keeping topics SFW since many users seemed to be confused on both of those principles.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]Can't you keep but forbidding anyone from making an RC over there? I mean we already got one right? And 2 RCs may confuse the regulars that go there.

Aw, but I'm so proud of my sticky thread.:(
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pirate700

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Is OT back to the old rule set? B/c the OT rules faq still says that you "mostly moderate offensive, illegal, and advertising content".Synthia
We've added a few pieces about being respectful and keeping topics SFW since many users seemed to be confused on both of those principles.

Can you still call people names and swear in normal OT?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
So there's an Off-topic for Off-Topic?
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 digitaldame

[QUOTE="Synthia"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]Is OT back to the old rule set? B/c the OT rules faq still says that you "mostly moderate offensive, illegal, and advertising content".Pirate700

Here's what is posted in the updated rules for OT: But I need some tips I don't think I know how to be respectful? Well we didn't think we'd have to define what it means to "respect others" but apparently we do. So TO BE CLEAR: *Refrain from needlessly mocking users (If you can't say something nice, go to After Hours) *Stay on topic * Use appropriate language (if you want to swear profusely, go to the After Hours Board) * Avoid being disruptive (Posting in all capital letters, or large images)
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrPraline
When do we get clear rules for this "OT"? I'd rather not get modded over inane sh*t (s***?) again.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 digitaldame
When do we get clear rules for this "OT"? I'd rather not get modded over inane sh*t (s***?) again.MrPraline
There right here.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Synthia"] We've added a few pieces about being respectful and keeping topics SFW since many users seemed to be confused on both of those principles. Synthia

Here's what is posted in the updated rules for OT: But I need some tips I don't think I know how to be respectful? Well we didn't think we'd have to define what it means to "respect others" but apparently we do. So TO BE CLEAR: *Refrain from needlessly mocking users (If you can't say something nice, go to After Hours) *Stay on topic * Use appropriate language (if you want to swear profusely, go to the After Hours Board) * Avoid being disruptive (Posting in all capital letters, or large images)

Meh...did you guys merge OT back to one forum yet? :P

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
So regarding sig content, has that changed? For example girls in underwear being allowed.
SeventhEntity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SeventhEntity
Member since 2011 • 378 Posts
Who came up with this idea?
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrPraline
"*Offensive Language / Profanity (unless properly censored - Example: B****, F***, A**)." Pathetic....
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pirate700

Can you at least give us a time frame for when the fate of OTAH will be reached?

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
So there's an Off-topic for Off-Topic?Nuck81
that's a good way of putting it. but all i see it doing is splitting up the people who come here regularly. then there will be invasions of people from one board to the other and both will become the same thing. :P