Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I've been thinking today about how people like to give homeless people food so that they know that they can't just go out and buy drugs and alcohol. I think that says more about the person giving than it does about the homeless person. I feel like it says that homeless people can't or shouldn't be trusted to buy what's right for themselves and that only we know what is truly the right thing for them. In all honesty though we rarely know the people we are giving to or their situation and we will never know what they need better than them.

Yes some of the money given may go to the wrong things, on the other hand homeless people will know ways to stretch the money that we likely don't think about. You may have bought them a combo meal for about 7-8 bucks, but that same money could have bought days worth of ramen or some other cheap food that goes to several meals. Plus food is not the only thing needed, some need a blanket or a cheap phone so they can get an employer to hire them, and on and on the list goes.

It almost seems judgemental and petty to only be willing to give food, and it basically shows that you are only willing to feed a man to fish as opposed to helping him buy the fishing pole he needs to feed himself. As always I'm curious as to what you guys think.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

MRW I'm homeless and people don't give me money or food.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178874 Posts

Eh there was a documentary done on the homeless around here a few years back....they said they money goes to drugs and alcohol. They scrounge food in dumpsters. That is their priority. Ask them when they ask for money if they'd like you to buy a burger for them and see how fast they leave.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Ahhh sooo true you hit the spot!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

When they ask for money and I offer them food/drink they look reluctant but sometimes accept. I don't give them money anymore because I'm in debt and my apartment had been robbed. It's best to donate money to a charity because it's tax deductible and they'll know what to do with the money.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14825 Posts

@Serraph105: I think that more goes to drugs than you would like to think. If someone asks me for money, I always say no. I'll tell them that I'll get them a burger or something (depends where I am) and it's usually a "go **** yourself" or similar type of response that I get from them.

@frank_castle:lol

TTLockerroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 TTLockerroom
Member since 2017 • 21 Posts

Neither, these people need to start working hard for themselves!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

When you look like you hadn't showered in months, it becomes pretty obvious where that money is going.

If they're honest about it and want drugs, I'll be more than happy to assist them with anything, such as clean syringes. Some are straight up and say they just want booze, which I'm ok with if I'm dropping by the drug store for some.

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts

ill give either if I'm in the mood

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

To the hell with them.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

I'll give them any change I have but I usually don't carry cash. I gave a guy some candy I'd just bought once and he seemed really happy to get it. A lot of homeless people have mental health issues that they can't get treatment for and illegal drugs and alcohol are the best they can hope for in the US at least.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17694 Posts

@michael_1234576: Mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle, and loveplay!! Not giving money to the homeless!

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Some on the train do specifically ask for food. So I may have a spare water bottle or snack bar I can give them if I feel ok doing so.

I'm pretty hesitant to give money. Although I did recently to a guy who had a dog. Actually get ticked off when someone tries a slick remark, or attempts to make me feel guilty for money. Its like they assume because I'm paying for gas, going into McDonalds, or a bank. That money just flows out my pocket. Fortunately there's barely any beggars where I live. So I only deal with them when I head downtown.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Don't know if this happens in the US, but I'm UK you get homeless you approach you and tell you a crazy story to get money from you.

Like there car broke down and they need 50p to use a payphone.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@playmynutz said:

When they ask for money and I offer them food/drink they look reluctant but sometimes accept. I don't give them money anymore because I'm in debt and my apartment had been robbed. It's best to donate money to a charity because it's tax deductible and they'll know what to do with the money.

You're making that up. According to some other guy, the homeless get their food from dumpsters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Serraph105: Isn't there a saying about beggars and choosers? Why is it petty to give to the homeless now just because it isn't money? The people who just walk by in disgust are doing them huge favours or something? I think this is the wrong thing to focus on.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

When I have cash on hand I do give homeless people money. If they want to use that money to buy some booze, who can blame them?

Have you ever had to live under a bridge or dumpster dive for breakfast? I don't worry about how they use the money. I just try to bless them with whatever I have on hand.

And for those of us who are either trolling or saying disparaging remarks about homeless people *cough*@frank_castle@ttlockerroom*cough* remember but by the grace of God there goes you.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Mrs. Deagle, it's Christmas

Now you know what to ask Santa for, don't you?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

I usually just give them money when I can. While I can understand the mentality of giving them food instead I just don't think that it's entirely practical. With money it's something that they can use when needed. Offering to buy them a burger or something may not be beneficial at that particular moment because they may not need it right at that time and it's not like they have some place where they can store their food at especially perishables. Money gives more security to know that one can purchase food when needed.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105

@korvus said:

@Serraph105: Isn't there a saying about beggars and choosers? Why is it petty to give to the homeless now just because it isn't money? The people who just walk by in disgust are doing them huge favours or something? I think this is the wrong thing to focus on.

My main point is that if you are capable of buying a homeless person a mean that the person you are trying to help would likely be better off if you just gave them the money that you were going to buy a meal with. On the other hand if you can't do this, but you have food and are willing to share it than that's a different story.

I do not mean to say that either is bad, just that the best way to help is to allow them to make choices for themselves.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105

@MrGeezer said:
@playmynutz said:

You're making that up. According to some other guy, the homeless get their food from dumpsters.

It's actually a fair point about giving to charities.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@playmynutz said:

Yeah and the homeless are part of a secret society.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Yes some of the money given may go to the wrong things, on the other hand homeless people will know ways to stretch the money that we likely don't think about. You may have bought them a combo meal for about 7-8 bucks, but that same money could have bought days worth of ramen or some other cheap food that goes to several meals. Plus food is not the only thing needed, some need a blanket or a cheap phone so they can get an employer to hire them, and on and on the list goes.

These people do not have a home or anywhere stable in which to dwell but they have cooking facilities or fires to cook ramen noodles?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56410 Posts

Old saying: People are so poor, all they have is Money.

But anyways, if I have spare cash, I don't mind giving out to those who really need it for mainly food but if it's for drugs or whatever, I'll still pass it on cause well, we all could die tomorrow and if you wanna have fun, then I'll gladly give you some cash.

@Gaming-Planet said:

When you look like you hadn't showered in months, it becomes pretty obvious where that money is going.

If they're honest about it and want drugs, I'll be more than happy to assist them with anything, such as clean syringes. Some are straight up and say they just want booze, which I'm ok with if I'm dropping by the drug store for some.

This right here I also agree. I dealt with homeless folks who just ask me cash for cigarettes which by the way, I'm okay with that. If you got'em, smoke'em.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

@eliminatorpaige said:

Some of these answers make me sick. No wonder the USA is a worldwide joke.

And yet not all these answers are from Americans.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105

@Solaryellow said:
@Serraph105 said:

These people do not have a home or anywhere stable in which to dwell but they have cooking facilities or fires to cook ramen noodles?

Loading Video...

A little dumpster diving and some ingenuity and yeah, you could find a homeless person with the ability to cook for themselves. Or perhap just a garbage can fire could provide the heat needed as well.

Image result for trash can fire

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56410 Posts

@eliminatorpaige said:

Some of these answers make me sick. No wonder the USA is a worldwide joke.

Joke or not, I like to help people as much as I could give.

And it has nothing to do with being an American, I'm Human, I like to help other Humans in the world if I can.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@eliminatorpaige: Always love when someone uses a gif rather than make a point. Kind of demonstrates they can't make one.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@eliminatorpaige said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@eliminatorpaige: Always love when someone uses a gif rather than make a point. Kind of demonstrates they can't make one.

I love it when people can't read, then take the moral high ground. Now what did I underline that you refuse to comment on?

I read it. You whined.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@eliminatorpaige said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I read it. You whined.

Insults and dodging questions. You be you white knight.

You didn't ask any question....you posted a gif. keep trying though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@eliminatorpaige said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You didn't ask any question....you posted a gif. keep trying though.

LMAO!! Shine on you crazy diamond.

@eliminatorpaige said:

I love it when people can't read, then take the moral high ground. Now what did I underline that you refuse to comment on?

I

Are you having difficulties? You made a comment on Americans and I said not everyone who commented was American....which you posted a gif after. That IS the extent. Period.

VRex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VRex7
Member since 2017 • 49 Posts

I'll usually give them money, I don't always have time to go out of my way to get them food. I know it may not go to that but if it'll get them through another day then cool.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Why cant more people be like you..

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

And by the way, I don't give them money either. I'm not gonna pretend that I'm doing them a favor by not giving them money, I just plain don't want to give them any money.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

I've had a homeless person in Atlanta get really angry with me for giving him a bag of fruit.

I will only help a homeless person out if they specifically ask for food, preferably with a sign - and only if I actually have some extra food on me.

We really need a better government system to take care of homeless people - it's gotta be relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other programs, and dealing with beggars fucking sucks because you never know if they're the crazy type.

I bet most of them are just lazy or have substance abuse problems anyway - probably only a handful with circumstances beyond their control.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

they need rehabilitation not your spare change.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

I don't care what anyone says, there's major inherent laziness involved with the majority of the homeless.

I don't care if I had to flip burgers for minimum wage 80+ hours a week. If that's what it takes to surround myself with 4 walls, a roof and a bed every night and not have to live on the streets like some gutter rat...then may I take your order please?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

When I was down in New Orleans, there was this dude with a sign reading:

"B*&%tch won't suck my D*&^K, need money for a hooker".

I gave him 5 bucks.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@eliminatorpaige said:
@frank_castle said:

I don't care what anyone says, there's major inherent laziness involved with the majority of the homeless.

I don't care if I had to flip burgers for minimum wage 80+ hours a week. If that's what it takes to surround myself with 4 walls, a roof and a bed every night and not have to live on the streets like some gutter rat...then may I take your order please?

How old are you? Do you really think getting a job is easy, much less finding one with a living wage? Your idea of the homeless is outdated and evil.

I'm 34

And yes, getting a job at the local Mickey D's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Hardees, Wendy's, etc is extremely easy. It doesn't even require a HS diploma/GED or any useful skill. Just show up on time and do your job. That's it. There are millions of 16 year old high school kids who do it every day. It's nothing lavish or highly respectable...but at least it's something.

As I said, I don't give a shit if I had to take two fast food jobs on minimum wage and work 80 hours a week. It beats the hell out of living on the street like some stray dog.

What are the homeless doing all day anyway? Scrounging through dumpsters and begging on the corner? So go ahead and invest that time in standing in front of a grill and actually be able to provide a human existence for yourself, no matter how meager it may be.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@frank_castle: If you were a manager at McDonalds, would you hire the fresh faced 16 year old kid? Or the sketchy looking homeless guy?