I have to leave this...sorry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-64a053ed12419
deactivated-64a053ed12419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-64a053ed12419
Member since 2023 • 161 Posts

I have to leave this forum.

I have been gaming for over 30 years. I am not interested in gaming anymore, I have no gaming stamina, and I want to leave all gaming behind me. The last game that I played a month ago was 'Starcraft 2'.

I had a good history with gaming. Sometimes, I thought that gaming prevented me from socializing and was a waste of time in general. But today, I dont think that. I think that there were times when gaming was a painkiller to coping with life. I suffered from a game addiction once in my life when CODMW and ETQW were popular. Still I think it was worth having that addiction than having a drug or other destructive addiction.

Have you thought about quitting or did you quit?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

Last year I thought about quitting gaming. It's becoming a more expensive hobby with each passing generation. I prayed about it and I felt like God was putting it on my heart to keep gaming. With that said, I have to renounce games that have a lot of swearing, sexuality/nudity, blood & gore. That's based on what I have thought about and prayed about.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44542 Posts

Been an avid gamer for 45+ years, have always enjoyed it and continue to enjoy it. Never considered quitting gaming and don’t foresee myself ever doing so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-64a053ed12419

@Archangel3371: Interesting, what games do you play now?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371

@plasticpie: Currently playing Final Fantasy XVI and Street Fighter 6. Recently played The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Spider-Man Remastered. Have recently really enjoyed Elden Ring and a bunch of others. There’s a ton of games that I’m looking forward to coming out soon like:

- Armored Core 6

- Starfield

- Tekken 8

- Mortal Kombat 1

- Alan Wake 2

- Super Mario RPG Remake

- Super Mario Bros. Wonder

- Forza Motorsport

- Spider-Man 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-64a053ed12419

@Archangel3371: Elden ring was so disappointing for me. I liked Nioh, though, but didnt play it for long enough. I do have some belief in 'Alan Awake 2' since the first one was one of my most favorite horror games.

How much time a week do you play?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

honestly, was in a lull for a while with been busy with life and adulting. had some kids and now that they're a little older and can actually operating a controller i've been getting more into it so i can play with my kids.

solution? have kids.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371

@plasticpie: On average I play about 3 hours on weekdays and 5 hours on weekends.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44681 Posts

I've pondered what I'd do if I gave up gaming and honestly I would just take on another unhealthy obsession to escape.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23055 Posts

@comp_atkins: Gaming with my son was such a joy. We're starting to leave that phase, but it really was a great bonding opportunity.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

For me gaming is part of my life I've been playing since the mega drive. The thing is I've never had an addiction it's always been an escape from the hard times. If it's taking over your life then there lies the problem you have to treat it as any drug.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17693 Posts

Quitting gaming, entirely, is odd to me. It’s like saying I’ll quit movies or literature. I enjoy absorbing any creative endeavor from another. While there is an element of subjective enjoyment that I suppose fades with time and maturity, there’s always the aspect of appreciation for the craft that never will, and in fact, grows with it.

I love film, I love music, art. I’ll forever love gaming, like any other creative medium.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

I go back and forth with how many games I play, but I dont see myself ever leaving it behind entirely. Sometimes I don't play much for a couple weeks, but I always find something to pull me back in. Recently that was the ROG Ally and the Steam Summer sale that started today was fun to dig through. I'm taking it with me on my trip, and I leave tonight.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

I'm 43 and have been playing since 5 or 6 years old. I always liked different genres but also had other interests outside gaming too. Variety is the spice of life.

Like Mirko said, it always strikes me as odd when people say they're over videogames. It's like telling me you're done with music or movies. Makes no sense to me... but, I imagine it's related with some addictive impulses that generates negative feelings towards the medium. I can't relate with but I think I understand.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3497 Posts

Been gaming for over 20 years and this year my love for gaming has dwindled. Ever since I had a bad month in May, I have lost my hunger to play video games - I play it here and there. I discovered that I no longer want to stay indoors all the time, so I decided to hit the gym 3 times a week and seeing friends whenever. I try to minimise gaming and try a new hobby to develop myself

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

I've had stretches when I've been away from gaming for months or even years at a time. Sometimes because my interest in gaming is down, but it's usually that I'm finding more interest in something else.

Never a conscious decision to start or stop though, just whatever I'm into at the time.

Currently all in, been a pretty great year.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

@plasticpie: don't let the door hit you on the way out!

No, but seriously, if you are leaving Gamespot, farewell and good luck out there.

Still though, not exactly sure why you are giving up games.

@kathaariancode said:

I'm 43 and have been playing since 5 or 6 years old. I always liked different genres but also had other interests outside gaming too. Variety is the spice of life.

Like Mirko said, it always strikes me as odd when people say they're over videogames. It's like telling me you're done with music or movies. Makes no sense to me... but, I imagine it's related with some addictive impulses that generates negative feelings towards the medium. I can't relate with but I think I understand.

Yup, could not agree more.

It's why I don't identify myself as a "gamer" any more than enjoying music makes me a "listener" or someone that watches movies is a "viewer". It's just part of who I am, someone that likes video games just like he enjoys music and books and stuff like that.

For me I think I associate video games as a "waste of time" and "non-productive". But...that's also the point. Too many people are obsessed with self-improvement and being productive and having side hustles. At some point, you need to stop.

The irony about the modern, settled world is that we have far less time to ourselves than our hunter-gather ancestors. One of the amazing things we've learned about ancient cultures is just how much they played. I mean, think about it: you have a tribe, you spend a few hours hunting and gathering, you got enough food for the week. What else do you do? YOU PLAY!

The ability for people, adults included (especially adults, I would argue), to play is super important. I pity anyone that can't unwind and relax and do nothing for some time.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4274 Posts

Quitting gaming…..no, not quite. But I will admit I’m a retro gamer. Sure every once in a while I’m wowed at a newer platform game. But I won’t go ahead and purchase a ps5. I’m a retro gamer.

I would say don’t make a decision yet. But if your mind is made up, then good luck on your journeys.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

I was getting bored for awhile too with gaming. VR has helped spark that a bit. Sometimes it's nice to just sit/stand there and look around in VR games. FFXVI has me hooked right now, as did FFXIV for a while. If you don't enjoy playing games anymore, move on to something else and maybe come back to it later.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10553 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Quitting gaming, entirely, is odd to me. It’s like saying I’ll quit movies or literature. I enjoy absorbing any creative endeavor from another. While there is an element of subjective enjoyment that I suppose fades with time and maturity, there’s always the aspect of appreciation for the craft that never will, and in fact, grows with it.

I love film, I love music, art. I’ll forever love gaming, like any other creative medium.

what mirko said

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-64a053ed12419
@kathaariancode said:

I am done with movies, tv shows,news, writing, bjj and games.

In my free time I am going to read only Russian literature books. Probably, I will keep doing so until the day I die.

The ability for people, adults included (especially adults, I would argue), to play is super important. I pity anyone that can't unwind and relax and do nothing for some time.

I have played enough, it has become sickening.

Back when I was a gamer, there was a lot of innovation. 3D graphics were introduced, for example. Some games such as MGS, Doom, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, silent hill, fallout 3, Starcraft, TotalWar, Civilization were innovative that they were appealing to stick to gaming. Today, there isnt much innovation. Game producers started to remastering the past. This is another reason why it is better to quit gaming.

I am going to watch a few gameplay videos on youtube of games, that I used to play, and thats it, the hobby is going to be buried.

I am out.

Avatar image for deactivated-64a05f6eb779b
deactivated-64a05f6eb779b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-64a05f6eb779b
Member since 2023 • 3 Posts

Nobody cares what you do.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3878 Posts

I have been gamming so long I forget what year I started. Sometime in the late 70s. My first real computer was an Apple 2C. That used 5 &1\4 inch floppy disks. My first IBM format computer had two meg of ram, a 100 meg hard drive used dos as an operating system. I will be 77 in September and retired for three and a half years and I am still gamming. I hope there is gamming in the after life.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56406 Posts

Since TC self-deactivate. No point in having a thread open for further discussion without TC around for conversation.