Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
@silentchief said:

@br0kenrabbit: That seems to have more to do with their " efficiency program " than anything to do with a Union? Boeing needs to be hiring the best people for the job. Does a Union help with that? I know not all Unions are created equal but in my experience they help bad employees keep their job.

Yes, it does. My father (retired) was in the Machinists Union and worked at Boeing in Oak Ridge, so I have some pretty deep insight into what was going on.

The Union has their own QC. Several levels of it, actually, before passing it off to corporate QC. Not only that, they constantly train and retrain their members above and beyond what Boeing required. I remember some shops my father had to take being like wielding, sealants and adhesives, alloys and cathodic protection and so on that the non-union members never took.

The Union treats you as a career employee, not someone just moving through jobs. Because of their extra training, Union employees are often promoted far more often than non-union.

It does take the Union a little extra time because they are there to do the job right, not run out the clock. The multi-level QC controls don't happen in an instant.

Something tells me you've never looked into what Unions actually are, how they empower the worker, and the benefits offered for the employer.

Wonder why?

Unions were a major driver in making America a manufacturing powerhouse. As their power has dwindled, so has our manufacturing sector.

Hell, to hear people actually from the 1950's tell it, Unions are what makes us American.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 br0kenrabbit

I can't edit in the video so I'm double-posting. Fix your shit, Gamespot.

Loading Video...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By br0kenrabbit

A little bit of a tangent but this seems the perfect spot to bring this up. Yeah three posts in a row, ban me.

People have forgotten that quality is profitable. People used to pay more for GM because it was quality. People used to pay more for Craftsman because it was quality. People used to pay more for Tonka toys because they were made out of pure fucking metal. Also, quality.

You don't have to race to be the cheapest or to have the most market share to be the most profitable. Look at Apple: their market share is pretty piddling but they're the richest company in history. It's because whether you like the Apple ecosystem or not, you gotta give props to the quality of their products.

We've got these business majors running everything down to the lowest cost, and quality products have disappeared from many consumer products. Everyone is offering the cheapest parts with the highest margins. So they're all the same, and no one stands out.

Quality sells. It may not conquer the market share, but you build a strong brand base and you'll actually make more money with a smaller market share.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3482 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: Quality sells but it's only profitable if over expensive. Apple being a good example for the worst reasons. Apple is more of a marketing phenomena built upon their legacy, am idea of quality and prestige that less and less translates to reality.

But I do generally agree and I even made a comment yesterday tangentially similar, how Activision or Bungee's acquisition being guided not by making high quality games but by their ability to squeeze money from their users. As I've said I think there comes a point in capitalism when the costumer stops being at the centre and becomes just cattle because we "need" perpetual growth.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#55 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59264 Posts

The bin got in 8th place of 17.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

Sorry Brits, this thread is about America now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59264 Posts

We should have ended you when we had the chance.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Sincerest apologies.

We don't send our best Americans to Gamespot forums. We send the arrogant and disruptive ones that love to derail threads and make it all about America. Half of the time, they're too full of themselves to realize they're trampling over other people's flowers.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@horgen said:

UK media has deep need to blame all the UK problems on everyone else than their own politicians?

i wouldn't say that, although i dont really read newspapers. outlets tend to diffuse or excuse blame rather than explicitly point the finger elsewhere, but there's a lot of doom and gloom in the news. and political corruption and incompetency, and negative brexit induced consequences are reported on often.

there are a few rabble rousers - daily mail being the main culprit - but cup has hit the nail on the head, british political culture is one where people are generally mistrusting of politicians, without having immovable affiliations, which is why we look on bemusingly at certain americans when they get so deeply entrenched in their "side" winning that any attempt at open debate is pointless

It's the daily mail headlines I've seen. Ehr front page I guess is more accurate to say.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 7024 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@silentchief said:

@br0kenrabbit: That seems to have more to do with their " efficiency program " than anything to do with a Union? Boeing needs to be hiring the best people for the job. Does a Union help with that? I know not all Unions are created equal but in my experience they help bad employees keep their job.

Yes, it does. My father (retired) was in the Machinists Union and worked at Boeing in Oak Ridge, so I have some pretty deep insight into what was going on.

The Union has their own QC. Several levels of it, actually, before passing it off to corporate QC. Not only that, they constantly train and retrain their members above and beyond what Boeing required. I remember some shops my father had to take being like wielding, sealants and adhesives, alloys and cathodic protection and so on that the non-union members never took.

The Union treats you as a career employee, not someone just moving through jobs. Because of their extra training, Union employees are often promoted far more often than non-union.

It does take the Union a little extra time because they are there to do the job right, not run out the clock. The multi-level QC controls don't happen in an instant.

Something tells me you've never looked into what Unions actually are, how they empower the worker, and the benefits offered for the employer.

Wonder why?

Unions were a major driver in making America a manufacturing powerhouse. As their power has dwindled, so has our manufacturing sector.

Hell, to hear people actually from the 1950's tell it, Unions are what makes us American.

Notice how I said not all Unions are created equal. In the case of Boeing it seems that may have been a Union that was actually offering benefits to both the employees and the customers( through better safety regulation). In designing aircrafts that is absolutely necessary.

However my experience with a Union was quite different. I used to work for AT&T several years ago. Essentially what it did was allowed some of the most worthless and laziest people keep their jobs for far longer than they should have. I'll never forget there was a manager who would come in every day in a wheelchair who would randomly go on leave for a physical disability. She would take 3 week vacations at a time. We all suspected she knew someone that was filling out her medical forms to get away with it but nobody could prove anything. Until one week one of the employees saw her at a club dancing while she was on leave and took a picture of it. He held on to the picture for several months and when she wrote him up for some BS reason he turned in the picture to a regional manager who was finally able to get her fired. These scenarios are all to common.

I don't know perhaps they can find a balance between the two. But I've had bad experiences with them. A friend of mine who worked for the post office had similar stories.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178863 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Tried it twice, couldn't do it. 😁

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@silentchief said:

It's amazing how our leftwing posters get simple facts wrong. You said the" US is largely a service industry" ... so I didn't think you were actually talking about just " service industry jobs. A large portion of Americans still work in customer service and even manufacturing.

Most of those jobs can be outsourced or completely done away with. I had a robot bring me food the other day. I was able to order without ever talking to a person. So back to the original point. Why the **** would anyone hire an overpaid union worker?

Why don't you ask Boeing?

They've moved a lot of their plants around (including closing the one here in Tennessee so they could move to North Charleston, South Carolina, a 'right to work' state) to avoid the unions. Shit went downhill from there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/05/07/more-bad-news-for-boeing-sc/

Production issues at Boeing’s North Charleston facility are obviously no secret. They have been detailed on multiple occasions in the past. But as Wren’s report noted, this was “the first time such private criticism from Boeing’s customers has been made public.”

Our guess is it won’t be the last …

____________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/08/04/report-boeing-customers-complain-about-shoddy-work-at-south-carolina-plant/

The latest developments? A report in The (Charleston, S.C.) Post and Courier – which is typically a cheerleader for Boeing – alleging that a controversial efficiency program that allows mechanics to inspect their own work is “leading to repeated mistakes.”

“Some of the mistakes are serious safety hazards, like debris being left in the sensors that measure air speed while a plane is in flight,” reporters David Wren and Glenn Smith noted. “More common problems, workers say, range from surplus rags and bolts left in planes to loose cabin seats and unsecured galley equipment.”

According to Boeing workers who spoke with the reporters on condition of anonymity, “the self-inspection program puts production speed ahead of passenger safety and that problems are often ignored to meet deadlines.”

“It’s an everyday thing – every single day,” one employee told the reporters.

https://www.defenseone.com/business/2019/03/boeing-has-severe-situation-after-parts-left-tankers-top-air-force-official/155543

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/faa-says-new-boeing-production-problem-found-undelivered-787-dreamliners-2021-07-13/

https://samchui.com/2019/08/09/airlines-reveal-shocking-boeing-787-production-issues/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/11/how-boeing-lost-its-bearings/602188/

In the next four years, Boeing’s detail-oriented, conservative culture became embroiled in a series of scandals. Its rocket division was found to be in possession of 25,000 pages of stolen Lockheed Martin documents. Its CFO (ex-McDonnell) was caught violating government procurement laws and went to jail. With ethics now front and center, Condit was forced out and replaced with Stonecipher, who promptly affirmed: “When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so that it’s run like a business rather than a great engineering firm.”

self inspection? good lord that's terrifying.

I design computers for a living and if ( when ) I **** up, if it's not caught maybe my employer loses money or their clients do. The point is, nobody dies. This is a fucking airplane ffs.

And we have teams of other people inspecting our work to make sure we've done our jobs correctly. There are countless times I'd swear something was correct only to have the problem be found by someone else's eyes.

People are typically pretty blind to their own ****-ups. Just a natural human thing I guess.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@silentchief said:

It's amazing how our leftwing posters get simple facts wrong. You said the" US is largely a service industry" ... so I didn't think you were actually talking about just " service industry jobs. A large portion of Americans still work in customer service and even manufacturing.

Most of those jobs can be outsourced or completely done away with. I had a robot bring me food the other day. I was able to order without ever talking to a person. So back to the original point. Why the **** would anyone hire an overpaid union worker?

Why don't you ask Boeing?

They've moved a lot of their plants around (including closing the one here in Tennessee so they could move to North Charleston, South Carolina, a 'right to work' state) to avoid the unions. Shit went downhill from there.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/05/07/more-bad-news-for-boeing-sc/

Production issues at Boeing’s North Charleston facility are obviously no secret. They have been detailed on multiple occasions in the past. But as Wren’s report noted, this was “the first time such private criticism from Boeing’s customers has been made public.”

Our guess is it won’t be the last …

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/08/04/report-boeing-customers-complain-about-shoddy-work-at-south-carolina-plant/

The latest developments? A report in The (Charleston, S.C.) Post and Courier – which is typically a cheerleader for Boeing – alleging that a controversial efficiency program that allows mechanics to inspect their own work is “leading to repeated mistakes.”

“Some of the mistakes are serious safety hazards, like debris being left in the sensors that measure air speed while a plane is in flight,” reporters David Wren and Glenn Smith noted. “More common problems, workers say, range from surplus rags and bolts left in planes to loose cabin seats and unsecured galley equipment.”

According to Boeing workers who spoke with the reporters on condition of anonymity, “the self-inspection program puts production speed ahead of passenger safety and that problems are often ignored to meet deadlines.”

“It’s an everyday thing – every single day,” one employee told the reporters.

https://www.defenseone.com/business/2019/03/boeing-has-severe-situation-after-parts-left-tankers-top-air-force-official/155543

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/faa-says-new-boeing-production-problem-found-undelivered-787-dreamliners-2021-07-13/

https://samchui.com/2019/08/09/airlines-reveal-shocking-boeing-787-production-issues/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/11/how-boeing-lost-its-bearings/602188/

In the next four years, Boeing’s detail-oriented, conservative culture became embroiled in a series of scandals. Its rocket division was found to be in possession of 25,000 pages of stolen Lockheed Martin documents. Its CFO (ex-McDonnell) was caught violating government procurement laws and went to jail. With ethics now front and center, Condit was forced out and replaced with Stonecipher, who promptly affirmed: “When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so that it’s run like a business rather than a great engineering firm.”

self inspection? good lord that's terrifying.

I design computers for a living and if ( when ) I **** up, if it's not caught maybe my employer loses money or their clients do. The point is, nobody dies. This is a fucking airplane ffs.

And we have teams of other people inspecting our work to make sure we've done our jobs correctly. There are countless times I'd swear something was correct only to have the problem be found by someone else's eyes.

People are typically pretty blind to their own ****-ups. Just a natural human thing I guess.

Dead people don't complain and yo're not backed by the US government, are you?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23976 Posts

Not surprising.

Populist ideas sound really nice in theory*. But in practice, they tend to oversimplify reality and fall flat on their face once put into practice.

*To people who don't know any better. Anyone who has even the faintest grasp of modern economics could see Brexit for the disaster it was.

Edit: lol at the responses from a certain someone in this thread. Immigration is not the prevailing political issules in the UK, it was for a brief period of time with fearmongering from certain actors. But by and large, britain's most impacrful issue, alongside the rest of europe, is that we never really truly got out of the recession. As well as a crumbling and underfunded NHS.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#65 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

@Maroxad: Yep. Anyone with a bit of education knew exactly what would happen with Brexit, it was all downsides with no real positives.

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgAOFM3HN0

It's pretty much that simple.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2149 Posts

Oh, but it succeeded in doing exactly what every reasonable person said would happen. The fuckers who voted to leave are just too dumb to admit it.

ipahmmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ipahmmer
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

Brexit never happened in the first place. There was a vote and the majority voted for a clean break away from the EU. That never happened!

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3482 Posts

It was pretty obvious. And when you have MAGAs and their rapist leader plus Putin's fanboys cheering for it, you can be sure who it will serve. But alas, the last 10 years have been defined by the rise of the western morons so whatever. Might as well let things burn to the ground.