dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@robertos: You all use the same tired links. It's like there is a forum somewhere that is labeled " links you can use to try and convince people EVs are great".

Those studies studues don't ont take into account the dirty process of making the battery, the dirty process of disposing of the battery, that real-life conditions are proving the batteries only last a decade, and that mist power is coming from coal.

Not to mention that we'd be surrendering a good portion our future to China, where mist batteries are made.

Electric cars are better for the environment than strict ICE cars, but their advantage over hybrids is minimal at best.

We should be sticking to hybrids until we can figure out hydrogen or synthetic fuels.

I would say "nice try", but it seems like you literally cut-and-pasted out of the "agrue for green" handbook.

2/10

Try again.

Oh, and CA,can't avoid brownouts now. What are they going to do as more EVs plug into the grid? Nuclear plants... coal?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

@dabear: Yea let's not be dependent on China for battery dependency.

Let's instead be dependent on Saudi Arabia for oil dependency.

Ahh, much better.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1023 Posts
@dabear said:

@robertos: You all use the same tired links.

If almost every study on the topic says you're wrong I'm going to use a the links showing this.

@dabear said:

Those studies studues don't ont take into account the dirty process of making the battery, the dirty process of disposing of the battery, that real-life conditions are proving the batteries only last a decade, and that mist power is coming from coal.

"One source of EV emissions is the creation of their large lithium-ion batteries. The use of minerals including lithium, cobalt, and nickel, which are crucial for modern EV batteries, requires using fossil fuels to mine those materials and heat them to high temperatures."

This is taken into account in all three articles.

@dabear said:

10/10

Thanks. Your original claim:

@dabearsaid:

@robertos: The carbon footprint payoff is False.

Most studies disagree with this opinion,

Are electric vehicles definitely better for the climate than gas-powered cars? | MIT Climate Portal

In fact, Paltsev says, it’s difficult to find a comparison in which EVs fare worse than internal combustion.

All studies agree that electric vehicles save between 50 to 70 percent CO2 equivalents and that the time needed to recoup the additional emissions caused by battery production is one to two years. The more you drive, the faster you'll recoup.”

E.V.s Start With a Bigger Carbon Footprint. But That Doesn’t Last. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Currently 65 percent in emissions compared with a similar internal combustion vehicle. With expected improvements in battery manufacturing and the further decarbonization of the British electrical grid, B.E.V.s are predicted to generate a 76 percent reduction in greenhouse gases by 2030 and a potential 81 percent decrease by 2050.

Factcheck: How electric vehicles help to tackle climate change (carbonbrief.org)

One study found that emissions from EVs have emissions up to 43% lower than diesel vehicles. Another detailed that “in all cases examined, electric cars have lower lifetime climate impacts than those with internal combustion engines”.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@dabear said:

@mrbojangles25: Not banning, huh?

I'll just leave this right here...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/states-banning-new-gas-powered-cars/

i guess people will have to do with ICE cars that women are being forced to do with reproductive care. travel to another state

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1023 Posts
@comp_atkins said:
@dabear said:

i guess people will have to do with ICE cars that women are being forced to do with reproductive care. travel to another state

I think most of those start in 10+ years, and just the banning the sale of. By then I'd be interested to see if anyone even give a shit. Much like crying about coal or asbestos products.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@robertos said:
@comp_atkins said:
@dabear said:

I think most of those start in 10+ years, and just the banning the sale of. By then I'd be interested to see if anyone even give a shit. Much like crying about coal or asbestos products.

I'm sure the whale oil salesman cried foul when we moved on to gas lanterns, but such is the cost of progress 😋

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@dabear said:

I have argued several times that EVs were the wrong choice, and the tech just keep proving me right.

EVs in cities like Chicago (where I live) are essentially street art right now because EVs can't handle brutal winters. You can read about it here. Or, you can watch it here.

Doesn't happen in Australia mate...

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1138 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I think the problem is that we haven't kept all industries alive in perpetuity. Don't we owe it to them?

@THUMPTABLE:Ask them to make more Kath & Kim

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@THUMPTABLE: Ask them to make more Kath & Kim

Who is "them"?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1138 Posts

@THUMPTABLE: I'm not sure. What I would do is scream it in the streets. That's my plan when I get there to visit my besty IPDaily, but I was hoping to get help with a head start. If not, sorry for the bother.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts
@comp_atkins said:
@dabear said:

True that and that's exactly what they will do, people will just have to buy real cars in Nevada or some shit, CA will only have overpriced EVs the majority of people not trying to buy anyway lol.

Car dealerships bordering CA State lines gonna be popping off

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

EVs will never be a thing... they can try all they want, but everybody in the know already knows they were doa. The future is hydrogen and renewable resource powered vehicles. As technology increases and natural resources deplenish things will become more clear to those sold the snake oil. Sustainability is the key to any long term business, which is why EVs have been pushed so hard in recent years.. they know the industry isn't sustainable, practical, or affordable on an average.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2147 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Aren't hybrids exempt from the ban? I thought I read something about "plug-in hybrids", not sure what the plug-in vs "non plug-in" means, though.

Plug-in hybrids have a bit bigger batteries (10-15kWh) and need to be charge from an outlet.

Regular hybrids have small batteries that assist the ICE engine and are continuously charged by the ICE engine (that's pretty much all of the Toyota and Lexus hybrids with a few high-end exceptions) and usually can't even drive on electric power alone.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23951 Posts

@adamadam said:

Read the opinions of the Swedes, Norwegians and Finns, in their case all the electric communication has gone down. The range of vehicles turned out to be 3 times less with this cold weather, when it comes to electric vehicles, and now the best news, in Iceland there will be a tax for electric cars for every kilometer driven. All this environmentalism, is nothing more than another not only invention, but also a limitation of man in normal daily functioning.

What are you talking about?

In Sweden adoption of EVs have been going up every year.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66  Edited By adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts
@WitIsWisdom said:

EVs will never be a thing... they can try all they want, but everybody in the know already knows they were doa. The future is hydrogen and renewable resource powered vehicles. As technology increases and natural resources deplenish things will become more clear to those sold the snake oil. Sustainability is the key to any long term business, which is why EVs have been pushed so hard in recent years.. they know the industry isn't sustainable, practical, or affordable on an average.

2 of the top 10 highest selling vehicles in America last year were EVs. That number will only grow. So um, your premise is instantly wrong and demonstrably false. EVs are already a thing. I'm looking forward to getting my Lotus EV later this year when it arrives in the US. Best vehicle I've ever driven, best interior I've experienced second only to our 2011 Rolls Royce Phantom.

That said, there are plenty of infastructure issues that still need to be tackled. Not enough commercial chargers and performance is inconsistent and suspect, making EVs still best for homeowners rather than renters. But it's only going to get better, for very obvious reasons. There is demand, which means there is capital to be made. Someone will go get it. Worry less.

If hydrogen is the future, we'll see it hit the market eventually and go through its necessary growing pains but it's at least a decade from any sort of market viability. You can worry about those products whenever the finally hit the market in like 2035. Between now and then? I'mma enjoy my 2.9s 0-60 in my electric SUV and laugh at ICE cars that have zero shoot of keeping up outside of supercars.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

@adrian1480 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

2 of the top 10 highest selling vehicles in America last year were EVs. That number will only grow. So um, your premise is instantly wrong and demonstrably false. EVs are already a thing. I'm looking forward to getting my Lotus EV later this year when it arrives in the US. Best vehicle I've ever driven, best interior I've experienced second only to our 2011 Rolls Royce Phantom.

That said, there are plenty of infastructure issues that still need to be tackled. Not enough commercial chargers and performance is inconsistent and suspect, making EVs still best for homeowners rather than renters. But it's only going to get better, for very obvious reasons. There is demand, which means there is capital to be made. Someone will go get it. Worry less.

If hydrogen is the future, we'll see it hit the market eventually and go through its necessary growing pains but it's at least a decade from any sort of market viability. You can worry about those products whenever the finally hit the market in like 2035. Between now and then? I'mma enjoy my 2.9s 0-60 in my electric SUV and laugh at ICE cars that have zero shoot of keeping up outside of supercars.

Gotta stop you with your first statement champ.

EVs are still niche and the brand leading the EV market is Tesla.

If your in the market for a new EV, 95% are going to go for the top brand of the niche market, which is Tesla. That's why those cars are at the top, it's the main brand of a smaller niche market. Tesla dominates that market and there are only a few models to choose from.

Compare that to ICE which has EVERY car manufacture making thousands of different models.. the market for ICE is extremely competive and has way more options.

Just saying.. your point don't make sense off the bat

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By adrian1480
@sargentd said:
@adrian1480 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Gotta stop you with your first statement champ.

EVs are still niche and the brand leading the EV market is Tesla.

If your in the market for a new EV, 95% are going to go for the top brand of the niche market, which is Tesla. That's why those cars are at the top, it's the main brand of a smaller niche market. Tesla dominates that market and there are only a few models to choose from.

Compare that to ICE which has EVERY car manufacture making thousands of different models.. the market for ICE is extremely competive and has way more options.

Just saying.. your point don't make sense off the bat

I'm not super intersted in debating semantics.

Were 2 of the top selling vehicles of 2023 EVs? Yes? Then they aren't so niche, are they. To me, "niche" is Maserati. It's Lotus. It's Subaru. Porsche. Fiat. Alfa Romero. I see 2 Teslas/Ioinic's/etc. at every stop light here in south Florida (never mind the regular Taycan's, Rivian SUVs and trucks, Genesis', etc.), so about as "Niche" as idunno...a Dodge or Buick. More common than those brands combined, really. YMMV wherever in the country you are.

Furthermore, EVs have an annual growth rate of 18% and are expected to maintain that pace through 2028. They certainly won't fall in popularity as charging performance and battery range increase and prices decrease.

So again, if you define that as "niche" presently, okay. That's your personal phraseology and maybe EVs are a rare sight in your neck of the woods. In my neck of the woods, they extremely common and only growing more common as traditional brands finally have caught up and can compete. Remember, it's their fault they are only now competitive in the first place as they tried to lobby Congress in the early 2000s to kill EV efforts to preserve their cash cow. Tesla forced their hand.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

Oh no my sister's kids cars battery died in the cold weather. We need to not produce ICE cars..🙄

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By adrian1480
@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh no my sister's kids cars battery died in the cold weather. We need to not produce ICE cars..🙄

Her battery didn't "die" because of the cold weather. What you mean to say is that she ran out of juice because she didn't charge her car in time for whatever reason. Words matter. 180,000 posts in, you should have learned that by now.

And keep that same energy for all the people with frozen gas tank lines. an issue that EVs do not have.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
@adrian1480 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Her battery didn't "die" because of the cold weather. What you mean to say is that she ran out of juice because she didn't charge her car in time for whatever reason. Words matter. 180,000 posts in, you should have learned that by now.

And keep that same energy for all the people with frozen gas tank lines. an issue that EVs do not have.

Hello, cold weather can kill batteries.

Edit: Then I guess you're not saying winter is rough on EV since you know, they're batteries.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

@adrian1480: You sound like someone that's mad they bought a crappy EV...lmao. they are extremely niche whether you like it or not (mostly a bunch of morons who always buy into the doom and gloom until they realize it's just as bad if not worse), and economists and realists already understand its not a sustainable market. Technology is moving past EVs and providing cleaner more cost efficient methods as we have this debate. I'm sorry if this upsets you. EVs are not and never will be the future for the fact that better alternatives have already been found. This isn't a guess by the way.

Even if the market raises 18 percent a year until 2028 thats still around 10 percent of cars sold in the country (not including any other kinds of vehicles, and when averaging them in the number is closer to 1 percent) that is home to the most popular EV manufacturer... give me a break.

The industry is already moving past EVs even if the market is slowly rising.

If you enjoy yours then all the power in the world to you, but the industry will (for the most part) move on from them sooner than you think, and they may never catch on at all outside of bigger cities since it's not just an individual cost.