Oblivion...Better on PS3, according to IGN.

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bizzy_bone16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bizzy_bone16
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts
IGN:
The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat. We'll have more on Oblivion soon, but for now, check out these new screens.
read more here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 watchcity
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts
Yup, you missed some points so here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html The PS3 version of Oblivion isn't a simple port of the game either, although players who have picked up the 360 version will be very familiar with the control scheme. For one thing, the PS3 version has been optimized to take advantage of the Cell processor and hardware that the system offers. As a result, the game runs a lot faster than the 360 build. Entering dungeons or buildings results in a load of 3-5 seconds, compared to the 7-10 seconds or longer for the 360 version of the game. Similarly, the amount of framerate drops or hitches that cropped up in the wilderness as you accessed a new area on the 360 have been substantially reduced on the PS3 version. There is a plan to completely eradicate these issues as the game nears release, as well as fixing a number of bugs that were present in the other builds. Kiss the item duplication glitch goodbye. The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat.
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
[QUOTE="bizzy_bone16"]IGN:
The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat. We'll have more on Oblivion soon, but for now, check out these new screens.
read more here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

I've been saying this for weeks but there was always someone that refused to believe this.
bizzy_bone16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bizzy_bone16
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts
might be harder to port...but in the end...PS3 version is gonna be way better.
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

I'm glad that Bethesda worked out the suppossed loading issues.

Anyways, can't wait for the final release, Oblivion was and is a great game, and I'm adding it to my PS3 collection to be able to play the game at its highest quality.

zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zhuojloh
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts

Now I confuse, 1up bash them and IGN praise them. Who to believe?

But seriously 1up report is skeptical, what kind of developers bad mouth their current machine working on right now. That's like anti-hype which is stupid. Well i'm not say 1up is false because i do recall Sony own engineer badmouthed PS3 before it was out but that guy did get himself a nice boot on the butt

unkosando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 unkosando
Member since 2004 • 37 Posts
what the...? Good news for a change?
Wii26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Wii26
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts

But seriously 1up report is skeptical, what kind of developers bad mouth their current machine working on right now. That's like anti-hype which is stupid. Well i'm not say 1up is false because i do recall Sony own engineer badmouthed PS3 before it was out but that guy did get himself a nice boot on the butt

zhuojloh

1UP isn't the best place to go for news. Have you seen what they rated certain games? They seem to be the anti-greatness. If it's hyped, they'll give it bad unless it's Gears.
Uzburacuz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Uzburacuz9
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts
[QUOTE="watchcity"]Yup, you missed some points so here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html The PS3 version of Oblivion isn't a simple port of the game either, although players who have picked up the 360 version will be very familiar with the control scheme. For one thing, the PS3 version has been optimized to take advantage of the Cell processor and hardware that the system offers. As a result, the game runs a lot faster than the 360 build. Entering dungeons or buildings results in a load of 3-5 seconds, compared to the 7-10 seconds or longer for the 360 version of the game. Similarly, the amount of framerate drops or hitches that cropped up in the wilderness as you accessed a new area on the 360 have been substantially reduced on the PS3 version. There is a plan to completely eradicate these issues as the game nears release, as well as fixing a number of bugs that were present in the other builds. Kiss the item duplication glitch goodbye. The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat.

I want it now!!
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
Oblivion was a awsome game. me and my friend played that all night long for months! but yeah the load times where killer. even tho the PS3 vertion sounds good i might just pick this up on my 360 again cuz i dont know if i really want to start all over again you know?
zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zhuojloh

for those that say we cant accept the fact that PS3 is techinical inferior,  not enough RAM, BD is too slow. This would shut them up too.  Techinical limitation? Guess not.

cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
I will still continue to get multiplatform games on my 360 and 1st and other exclusive games for my ps3. This won't change.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
I will still continue to get multiplatform games on my 360 and 1st and other exclusive games for my ps3. This won't change.cjnwo4life
that depends on the game for me. i think im gona get GTA for shore on PS3. i hate the controlles for GTA on xbox.
DoctorWan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DoctorWan
Member since 2007 • 463 Posts
Well, they say the loading time is slower due to the slower BD rom compare to Xbox's DVD rom, i was thinking this problem could be solved by installing part of the game onto the HDD, but i guess the real bottleneck of the data processing lie not on the speed of the rom but the speed of the processing power. Since ps3 had more processing power to run all these data in parallel, i guess they figured out a way to do this effectively.

Good for them for trying to work it out instead of just porting it like ALL THE REST of the games we have seemed thus far, so far only this game and FNR3 have been re-coded to take advantage of the Cell right?? all the rest were just ports, which really angers me as a consumer sometimes.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
it was a awful game on the 360, and that is never going to change.
Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts
This is excellent news, although I won't be buying it because it consumed a good 5 months of my life last year, it's almost tempting enough to double dip. My hand just started shaking.... wierd.

I've been oblivion free for 4 months and I really need to keep it that way. I was simply letting too many other things slide that needed attention; laundry, personal hygene, friends, family, pets, work.... the list goes on.

But good for you guys and your patience, looks like things are gonna pay off, best version of the game seems likely. Good bye, it was nice knowing all of you. But maybe when you get sober too, we can discuss other ps3 games. sometime in 2008.
cheezy909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 cheezy909
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
Thanks very much for the information... My hopes for the PS3's capabilities remain. I think i will pick up this title for PS3 when its released, mainly because the game sounds impressive and i have not yet owned a RPG title and am eagre to give the genre a go.
chubear700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chubear700
Member since 2003 • 1945 Posts

and the PS3 gets all the stuff including DL items for the PC and 360 including more content. Yeeepeee! :D

d0uble0se7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 d0uble0se7en
Member since 2003 • 141 Posts
between this, blu-ray news lately, spider-man and james bond coming out on blu-ray, etc...I'm in Sony-fanboy heaven.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
 solid score for the PS3 camp there.....especially after all the bad things said about it on 1up.
jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts
Despite the improvements for the PS3 version I guarantee Gamepot will score it .5 or more lower than the 360 version....
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
sadly enough the 360 fanboys still probly wont believe it lol but its great newstho i cant wait i loved it for the 360 and ill love it again on the ps3
zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zhuojloh
Despite the improvements for the PS3 version I guarantee Gamepot will score it .5 or more lower than the 360 version....jdt532
because Gamespot think it's old games and they expect much better from PS3. "Bethesda only improve some textures and load times, you can't tell the differences therefore -.5."
chubear700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chubear700
Member since 2003 • 1945 Posts
Despite the improvements for the PS3 version I guarantee Gamepot will score it .5 or more lower than the 360 version....jdt532
YOU CAN BET YOUR ARSE THEY WILL :lol:  and look for Killzone 2 to score nothing more than a 8.2 :lol:
souldier_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 souldier_man
Member since 2005 • 1603 Posts
i think i may get oblivion again . i had it on 360 but it broke so i nver got very far in the game
jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts
[QUOTE="jdt532"]Despite the improvements for the PS3 version I guarantee Gamepot will score it .5 or more lower than the 360 version....zhuojloh
because Gamespot think it's old games and they expect much better from PS3. "Bethesda only improve some textures and load times, you can't tell the differences therefore -.5."

When they review this game they should compare it against other PS3 games and if it doesn't stack up and they want to knock of points because there are other PS3 games that are better than that's fine. I'm tired of the PS3 getting negative points just because it's new and we get games that were already out for awhile on other platforms. For allot of people the PS3 version will be the only version they ever play cause they don't own a 360 or a decent PC so the game should be reviewed with that in mind. Like I said it should be reviewed based on how it stacks up to other PS3 games....
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Ok so the Framerate, graphics, and Load times will be better for the PS3...there is still the issue of downloadable content not being able to be run on the PS3, or I should say that only some of it can run all at one time, not all of it. Still no word on bethesda clearing this up yet?
Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Truth01
Member since 2005 • 2732 Posts
Ok so the Framerate, graphics, and Load times will be better for the PS3...there is still the issue of downloadable content not being able to be run on the PS3, or I should say that only some of it can run all at one time, not all of it. Still no word on bethesda clearing this up yet?RabbidDawg
I don't think that will be cleared up, but I find that the downloadable stuff was more for the people who couldn't get enough of Oblivion and that the average user would be disappointed by the stuff.

To all of you said that 1up lied, you're wrong. They were saying that the hardware limitations/ differences didn't allow for the downloadable stuff to all work at once, they never said the game played worse.
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
[QUOTE="RabbidDawg"]Ok so the Framerate, graphics, and Load times will be better for the PS3...there is still the issue of downloadable content not being able to be run on the PS3, or I should say that only some of it can run all at one time, not all of it. Still no word on bethesda clearing this up yet?Truth01
I don't think that will be cleared up, but I find that the downloadable stuff was more for the people who couldn't get enough of Oblivion and that the average user would be disappointed by the stuff.

To all of you said that 1up lied, you're wrong. They were saying that the hardware limitations/ differences didn't allow for the downloadable stuff to all work at once, they never said the game played worse.

actually, i believe the term "long load times" was used. Debunked by IGN :) IMO, that makes their other claims uncredible as well.
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
[QUOTE="Truth01"][QUOTE="RabbidDawg"]Ok so the Framerate, graphics, and Load times will be better for the PS3...there is still the issue of downloadable content not being able to be run on the PS3, or I should say that only some of it can run all at one time, not all of it. Still no word on bethesda clearing this up yet?0rin

actually, i believe the term "long load times" was used. Debunked by IGN :) IMO, that makes their other claims uncredible as well.

Actually that was debunked as well- the article says that they decided to release those as downloads on the playstation store on a later date, not because they couldnt run it all on the ps3 consecutively...the way they made it sound is that they made that decision for the $$$$
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="RabbidDawg"]Ok so the Framerate, graphics, and Load times will be better for the PS3...there is still the issue of downloadable content not being able to be run on the PS3, or I should say that only some of it can run all at one time, not all of it. Still no word on bethesda clearing this up yet?Truth01

lol that still isn't true. Just think about it for a second.
SirRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SirRaven
Member since 2005 • 934 Posts
that IGN article pretty much contradicts everything I've read so far about Oblivion on the ps3, unless it was intentionally vague. The main story as of late has been Bethseda whining about the PS3's RAM and how it forced them to remove certain things like armor on horses. Did they fix this? Are the better load times/frame rates because of similar removals for RAM-benefit? We'll find out later.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
The infamous 1Up story apprently said that you couldnt have downloadable content or atleast that they'd have to pick and choose what you could include in the game. This of course is retarded because you have a hard drive. these things can be stored their until necessary which would be the case anyway with downloaded content. You dont have to have ram hold on to the placement of 12 dozen dead bodies on one side of the world whileyou're on the other, just stare that on the HD untill you need it and keep it moving if this is the problem they're talking about. There are ways around problems on these new systems and a developer that isnt lazy WILL find them. Also I'm not really happy about the thought that they wont be including more things on the main disk. It's a Bluray disk why only put the Knights of the Nine expansion on it?? There's certain to be more room to store more of the downloadable things so that you dont have to shell out more cash to buy them online. Frankly this one thing alone would be enough to make me not want to buy it because I now know they expect me to buy more crap when it could have easily been included in the package.
ehacala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ehacala
Member since 2003 • 314 Posts
Enjoy your game that has already been out for over a year on the XBOX360......I would hope in this time they could do something to justify waiting that long for the game.

I will wait to see what an exclusive looks like that has the proper time to develop before I run around like a school girl. The games coming in the next year will be awesome and I will buy a PS3 then. In the meantime a game that has been out for over a year on another console does nothing for me and is not exciting in the least.....
demented2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 demented2001
Member since 2004 • 105 Posts
Oblivion better on ps3? well snap my C*** and call me sally
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
oh man let see what it get on the PS3....... 9.9 lqtm I wish
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
Enjoy your game that has already been out for over a year on the XBOX360......I would hope in this time they could do something to justify waiting that long for the game.

I will wait to see what an exclusive looks like that has the proper time to develop before I run around like a school girl. The games coming in the next year will be awesome and I will buy a PS3 then. In the meantime a game that has been out for over a year on another console does nothing for me and is not exciting in the least.....
ehacala

prehaps it's not the newest game to come down the pipe but I think the excitement right now is more over the fact that it's likely to be as good or better than atleast one of the previous versions of the game rather than instantly being the worst. Dispite being old it is an highly rated game and one that many people (myself included) have barely even seen any of. Honestly I've never seen more than a few screenshots dispite half my co-workers having the game and having a friend that actually works for bethesda. Why? probably because I dont have a 360 and my computer isnt high enough spec to run it so the PS3 would litterally be the only way I'd ever experiance it, a year after it's release or not.

Gamefisher86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Gamefisher86
Member since 2004 • 588 Posts

Oblivion better on ps3? well snap my C*** and call me sallydemented2001

lol.........im sorry when i read that i started to fart cuz i was laughing so hard...

Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts
R.I.P. dupe glitch.  Oh God, how I loved you so................:cry:
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts

But seriously 1up report is skeptical, what kind of developers bad mouth their current machine working on right now. That's like anti-hype which is stupid. Well i'm not say 1up is false because i do recall Sony own engineer badmouthed PS3 before it was out but that guy did get himself a nice boot on the butt

zhuojloh

lets just believe ign, if this news is newer then the chances are its more truer

more truer? wth i better get back to school

Avatar image for ParasiteEveLust
ParasiteEveLust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ParasiteEveLust
Member since 2005 • 1545 Posts
GS will probably find a reason to give a it a lower score than Xbox's version.
thestickman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thestickman
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
The improvements for the PS3 version sound nice but I hate to lose all my data from the 360 version, and lack of rumble still frightens me (unless Sony addresses that by then, of course). Honestly, I believe that if Bethesda had made the 360's version of the game more specific to the platform many of the PS3 version's features would have already been implemented. Only thing I've been wondering about is the extra content/expansions for the PS3 version. Has any solid word been spoken of Shimmering Isles coming to the system?? I suppose this could ultimately determine whether I purchase this version or not...
sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
Gamespot should add oblivion to the 360 vs PS3 graphic comparison article lol . well reason why it's performing better because they are fully utilizing the cell. lets hope future developers all do the same.
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Gamespot should add oblivion to the 360 vs PS3 graphic comparison article lol . well reason why it's performing better because they are fully utilizing the cell. lets hope future developers all do the same. sxs_alex
not to be a correction nazi but they are far from "fully utilizing" the Cell. A year from now, I doubt ANY designers, let alone third party's, will be "fully utilizing" the Cell. It will be at least a year or two before anyone comes close to maxing out this system (same as any other system. the PS2 is STILL getting better, but not by much anymore). It takes a while for games to show the consoles true full potential.
sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
woops i meant they take advantage of the cell. thanks for correcting me.
RJ2000_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RJ2000_24
Member since 2003 • 195 Posts
GS will probably find a reason to give a it a lower score than Xbox's version.ParasiteEveLust
ha you are actually questioning that? Even if every user that has it on both says its better they will still come up with some load of crap to say how its bad. They make me laugh sometimes... So why do I always post here.. Its cause i love you guys.. O!
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="Alpha2"]You dont have to have ram hold on to the placement of 12 dozen dead bodies on one side of the world whileyou're on the other, just stare that on the HD untill you need it and keep it moving if this is the problem they're talking about. There are ways around problems on these new systems and a developer that isnt lazy WILL find them.

LOL! Yep! I was asking my PC gamer friend the same thing. I used the example: Why would you need to store in RAM a crown jewel, in some crate, in the basement, of some castle, surrounded by angry skeletons, on the other side of the realm?
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts

Well, a lot of xbot fanboy automatically think that if it can't be done the way it's been done before. Then it can never be done. Therefore, they assume that the PS3's hardware that hinders the game. And Xbox propaganda blogs are fast to propagate this idea.
BIGDEE06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BIGDEE06
Member since 2006 • 2322 Posts
Gamespot should add oblivion to the 360 vs PS3 graphic comparison article lol . well reason why it's performing better because they are fully utilizing the cell. lets hope future developers all do the same. sxs_alex
How can you "FAIRLY" compare a game that's been out 1 year longer than it's PS3 counterpart?  One would hope that the PS3 version will be better in everyway, considering the amount of time Bethesda's had since the 360 version.