How Do You Play Retro Games? (read post first)

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How Do You Play Retro Games? (read post first) (39 votes)

Authentic (original hardware) 51%
Digital Download (Steam, XBLA, Virtual Console, etc.) 15%
Emulation (assuming you own the games legally of course) 33%

It's obvious that we all play retro games here, but it's come to my understanding that there are several different ways to obtain and run them. I have listed in the poll options the three main methods of doing this, and I'll elaborate on each in this first post to clear confusion and ask for details. My second post will just be me responding to the poll. This is a one-answer-only so just pick your favorite, but you can mention if you use other methods below as well.

1. Authentic: This option is for those of us who like to track down original, physical copies of games and the primitive hardware they run on. While this option has it's benefits such as nostalgic value or collect ability, it also has it's drawbacks, such as the high price and aging technology.This option has a lot of details you could mention: do you keep your consoles genuine, or mod them for optimal video/audio performance? Do you play reproduction games, and if so, to what extent?
  2. Digital Download: Choose this option if you prefer to game on official emulators, such as PSN or Steam. This is a much more cost-effective method, but a lot of people don't trust the digital nature of these games. Aside from price, these emulators often have benefits such as better video quality. This option is also the best way to support the developers since they don't make money on the old stuff you can buy on ebay. If this is your go, which services do you use?
  3. Emulation: This option is for the many emulators you can find on the web, and is one of the cheaper methods (or free, if it doesn't bother you). These emulators make it possible to play all your games on one machine, which you need for work anyways. Besides that, it may also be the only cost-effective way to play some games like those only found on arcade cabinets. These emulators are not as accurate as official ones however, and using them illegally really doesn't help out the developers.
 • 
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

I always like to play whatever games I can on original hardware, not just for collecting but also for the authentic experience. I also play reproductions, but only of games not released in my region such as Alien Soldier on Genesis or Star Fox 2 on SNES. I would like to have some of my consoles modded for better video eventually, but I haven't found the time or money just yet.

Aside from that I also have games on Steam that I don't care to buy the original console of, and I play some "programmable series" NES games like excite bike or wrecking crew on Virtual Console because they actually save custom levels, which you can't do in other emulators or even on the original North American release, because you need the Famicom tape recorder thing to save tracks on the cartridge games..

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56413 Posts

I usually play my Retro games digital downloads cause I find it easier to do then tracking the original copy [Authentic] and I honestly don't know jack about Emulations so won't comment about it. Digital Downloads also do help the developers getting there money back so they can continue to support future retro games. Rare Replay comes to mind when I bought it on XBL.

Voted: Digital Download.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

There´s one option missing:

All of them.

That´s how I play my retro games. I do prefer physical possession ( cartridge/ disc ) but most of my games are digital copies.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I always try and do physical possession of the original or a port of some kind. I just like having physical copies of games best. Although I have downloaded older games I had no other way of playing like Super Metroid or the Thief games. Legally, of course. I'm not a thief.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Authentic, usually.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

All of the above

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I use the original hardware and cartridges for Retro games. I have a NES and NES 2 top loader, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis model 1 and Sega Mega Drive model 1, The original Gameboy, and Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance.

While these games can be played on a Retron 5 console. I would rather use the original Hardware. Retron 5 is like a Emulation console. It is good in the fact you can play on modern Televisions. But for me I use an old fashioned SD Television with my retro console.

I have a HD TV for the modern PlayStation 4 and Xbox one, But I did bother to track down a SD TV and all of the original Hardware. Even though you could just buy a Retron 5.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Mostly authentic, but I like buying older games digitally sometimes. I've never really bothered with emulators, other than a few times where I played Mario Party with a friend.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#9 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Always go for original when possible. I've never messed around with emulators, the first time I've really used them has been on the 3DS with the virtual console.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I cast for "authentic", but the truth is many of my games are digital downloads too. I chose authentic because that's my preference. I'm a gamer first and a collector second, so if there's a good deal on a digital port or whatever on a game that's hard to find I'll go for it, but in an ideal world I prefer using the original hardware

theretroraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theretroraider
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

It all depends... I would rather play every game I want on it's original console. Nothing can ever describe that nostalgic feeling you get when you're blowing one of your SNES carts. But for the games that I REALLY want to play but don't have the money for the actual cart or CD, I would use an emulator or download them digitally.

gallienb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By gallienb
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

I mostly like to buy Authentic, but of course some games out there are either to hard to find or very expensive. So on those occasions Id buy it digitally.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

emulation all the way, I have boxes and boxes of games and no space in my apartment to display them all. Having to go through tons of boxes, then go grab my console out of storage and hook it up is just way to much trouble. Additonally, emulators let me save anywhere, I generally do not abuse this system because of my old school gamer pride but I simply do not have the time to sit there all day and play through ghosts n goblins twice in a row like I did when I was young.

unknownuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 unknownuser
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Mostly Emulation on my pc. Used to own more older games got rid of some because of limited space and not looking good on my hdtv still have about 50 ps2 and 35 wii games.

Use official Gamecube adapter (wii u) for gamecube games, Dolphin bar for wii games, ps4 controllers for ps1,ps2 , Xbox 360 controllers for n64, and buffalo Classic usb Game pad for nes,snes, sega genesis.

Vanguardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 Vanguardian
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

It's tricky... I like playing it on the original hardware whenever I can, but when it comes to a game like Earthbound, I'd much rather pay $8.00 on the Nintendo E-shop and play it on Wii U, as opposed to paying $300 on Ebay for an actual cartridge. Plus, like you said, if you download it, the money goes to the developers.

rifian_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rifian_one
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

Authentic way i own now. PS1.PS2 NDS lite. And game's are way better than current gen's. And now i can buy any game i wan't. Back in the day's i was kid, and didn't get to play any K18 games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19682 Posts

In terms of video quality, playing retro games on authentic hardware with an older CRT TV usually gives the best picture quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

It is not a pefect world, I emulate games if I can't afford them or isn't translated into english. No regrets.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178876 Posts

Authentic all the way.…..

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Option 4, all the above.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

I go for an authentic experience while still maintaining the quality of life in modern gaming I've become used to.

This means I prefer:

• FPGA hardware emulation with near 100% accuracy (Super NT, Mister FPGA)
  • Original Hardware, modded to output a digital signal via HDMI, modded to bypass a disc drive.

I'm not opposed to other methods.

• I just picked up a Wii U as my next retro platform project. WiiU's are cheap AF right now.
  • I like to try each iteration of the Raspberry Pi with RetroPi. The Rpi4 is a lot faster than the 3. I'm looking forward to trying that out.

I chose authentic. However that doesn't always mean I try to use the original controllers :)

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 292 Posts

all of the above

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7288 Posts

I usually pick the mini console as I prefer using the og hardware connected to hdmi.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

I tent to prefer original hardware, but I'm not against using digital downloads such as the Ps3's PS classics and Nintendo's E-shop.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7288 Posts

The only classic game I own digitally on Xbox one is guardian heroes as my Saturn broke last year.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#26 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Original hardware whenever possible for me. Even newer games, I'll only do digital downloads under certain circumstances.

RetroG4ming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RetroG4ming
Member since 2020 • 3 Posts

Original hardware whenever possible, but unfortunately most of the time I need to emulate it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Poll needed an all of the above option - possibly other option too. I play older consoles, older consoles that play older console/arcade games (Atari Anniversary, Namco Museum on Xbox), downloads, and the occasional online emulator.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

Original systems and digital downloads.