Are Wii developers sloppy? GCN's unchallenged technology-pusher, Factor 5, says

This topic is locked from further discussion.

venture00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 venture00
Member since 2004 • 1060 Posts
 Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

venture00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 venture00
bump :S
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.
venture00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 venture00
developers are now just porting games to the wii, and some of them are so lazys.. factor 5 says that they could do a lot of stuff with the wii
Keibo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Keibo
Member since 2003 • 1488 Posts
I believe they could do amazing things with the Wii tbh... I mean its true that rogue leader on the GC(the launch title) easily had one of most amazing graphics of that generation even comparing to the end of the consoles lifecycle. It would be great for them to do another game for Nintendo and set the bar up there as most games are ports at the moment...not nice, at least games like dewys adventure and battalion wars 2 use bump and normal mapping. hopefully we'll see some great looking games on the wii soon enough
venture00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 venture00
I believe they could do amazing things with the Wii tbh... I mean its true that rogue leader on the GC(the launch title) easily had one of most amazing graphics of that generation even comparing to the end of the consoles lifecycle. It would be great for them to do another game for Nintendo and set the bar up there as most games are ports at the moment...not nice, at least games like dewys adventure and battalion wars 2 use bump and normal mapping. hopefully we'll see some great looking games on the wii soon enoughKeibo

I hope that :)
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

venture00
At the time, the GCN was really powerful compared to what was out. Now the Wii is the least powerful this generation. So developers will be dissappointed, no? After the beating of GCN by PS2 and the introduction of motion sensing, developers must surely be wary of how the Wii would have turned out. This lack of confidence and unproven ground in gaming may have caused the 3rd party developers to be 'lazy'.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
thank you. my thughts exactly. developers are trying to cash in easy money
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Boba_Fett_3710
I just think this is a phase in the Wii's life. Does anybody remember all the shovel ware that the DS got? Ping Pals? Sprung? Elf Bowling? Whack-a-Mole? The Wii is leagues ahead of where the DS was and I think N and 3rd parties are focusing more on what the controller will be able to do, instead of how good the graphics look. Remember, last gen was just a graphics race (funny how the PS2 ended up winning).
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts

It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.Boba_Fett_3710

:lol:Better than 360 games?  No way.  Nothing compares to hd

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Boba_Fett_3710

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.ironwarrior2

:lol:Better than 360 games? No way. Nothing compares to hd

I've seen HD and I am sincerely unimpressed...But that's just me.
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ironwarrior2
[QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.Boba_Fett_3710

You should see 1080p, nothing else even compares.  I've got a 360 via VGA in 1080p, a PS3 via HDMI in 1080p, and a Wii via componet in 480p, and it looks like trash, the Wii does.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Boba_Fett_3710
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.ironwarrior2

You should see 1080p, nothing else even compares. I've got a 360 via VGA in 1080p, a PS3 via HDMI in 1080p, and a Wii via componet in 480p, and it looks like trash, the Wii does.

Graphics don't interest me all that much. I still play PSONE and N64 games. Say what you will but it all looks the same to me. Would you believe I don't even have cable :o
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danneswegman
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]

You should see 1080p, nothing else even compares.  I've got a 360 via VGA in 1080p, a PS3 via HDMI in 1080p, and a Wii via componet in 480p, and it looks like trash, the Wii does.

yes, 720P compares.. you do realize you are playing 720P games in 1080P... no detail is added..... just upscaled.
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ironwarrior2
[QUOTE="ironwarrior2"][QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.danneswegman

yes, 720P compares.. you do realize you are playing 720P games in 1080P... no detail is added..... just upscaled.

Yes, I know.  True 1080p games are being developed and will soon release on both consoles.  Lost Planet supports 1080p, but I haven't played it yet.

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 danneswegman
[QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="ironwarrior2"][QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]

Yes, I know.  True 1080p games are being developed and will soon release on both consoles.  Lost Planet supports 1080p, but I haven't played it yet.

lost planet is also 720P upscaled. not true 1080P . The new tennis game will be 1080P native. Lost planet is a beautifull game though. loved it. The problem with 1080p is that it requires a lot of processing power. in many cases it will lead to slower framrate o less detailed textures... Almost every developer says that 720P is the sweetspot for now.
sdelaney86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 sdelaney86
Member since 2005 • 4190 Posts
[QUOTE="venture00"] Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Pangster007
At the time, the GCN was really powerful compared to what was out. Now the Wii is the least powerful this generation. So developers will be dissappointed, no? After the beating of GCN by PS2 and the introduction of motion sensing, developers must surely be wary of how the Wii would have turned out. This lack of confidence and unproven ground in gaming may have caused the 3rd party developers to be 'lazy'.

The problem is not that the Wii isn't as impressive as PS3 and XBOX360, it's that the Wii games aren't as impressive as some GameCube games.
TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
I think we won't really see what the Wii is capable of until MP3 is released. It will be sweet sailing from then on.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
i dont think they have been sloppy with the wii at all what you see is what you get with specs like the wii!
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
I knew this would happen, ever since the Wiimote was announced. Developers would get lazy on the visual front and just try and push out more party styled games, or spend too much time on controls instead of gameplay and visuals. Although niche developers like Factor 5 push every system to its limits, other companies like EA and Ubisoft just suck, and are plain lazy.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 danneswegman
i dont think they have been sloppy with the wii at all what you see is what you get with specs like the wii!daveg1
no, that's their point. They know that MUCH more is possible. They DID much more even in the beginning of gamecube.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Twiddle. I bet Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles looks pretty fantastic. I'm waiting for it, MP3, and SMG to decide what the Wii can really do.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?venture00

I would give that answer an absolute yes...but it's not all that surprising.   First of all, nobody expected another Nintendo console to do well at all.  Not even close.  Developers had all but written off Nintendo after the N64 and GC.  And as we all know, there are quotes from developers saying they were taken off guard by the potential of teh Wii and are jumping onto the bandwagon late.

Second, anyone rushing to get a Wii game out will either fall into two categories.  They will either (1) over focus on the remote and make a game that isn't very good but has a lot of remote actions in it, or (2) they will dump a half-assed port on the console with some remote actions tacked on.    In fact, this is pretty much what a lot of the games are.

Where second and third gen console like the 360 and PS3 will see developers advance the graphics, the same for Wii will advance the gameplay by combining graphics and the Wiimote.  In other words, while with regular consoles it takes a couple waves of games before you see the true graphical potential...the same is true of the wii and it's own unique style of games.

So yes, developers WERE sloppy as they rushed to release a game on the Wii as soon as they could.  However, by the end of the year there will be a stream of titles that are way better and showcase what the Wii can do.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.Boba_Fett_3710

Rogue Squadron 2 : Rogue Leader was the launch title Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike came out later and your crazy to think it compares to 360 launch titles except for stuff like Gun.

dcoope3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dcoope3
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts
It's pretty sad that GC launch titles looks loads better than Wii launch titles. Rebel Strike and Luigi's Mansion looked way better than most of the stuff out on the Wii currently. I wish Factor 5 would license their graphics engine to third parties
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Are some devs lazy yes but I don't think that can be used a s blanket statement for th Nintendo Wii. Truth is that a LOT of devs had written off Nintendo's next console after the N64 and Game Cube didn't sell in great numbers. Keep in mind it isn't that Nintendo lost money on these consoles either so they weren't in any financial trouble, just didn't sell that many. However as a result they changed direction and realized keeping up this graphics race wasn't the best thing for them since they as a company don't have the backing that Sony's and Microsoft's gaming divisions have. Nintendo is it's own company the same way Sega was. Doesn't mean they didn't improve where they could, just that their focus was different. Like said, developers were surprised at E3 06 and basically had to scramble to get on board. Some already had seen the potential from the start. Anyone that was paying attention to the success of the Nintendo DS could possibly assume the Wii would head in the same direction. So you have a combination of different things. Companies jumping on the Wii late and then trying to get out games around the launch. Which is why you see ports. Then there was the development kits (which again goes back to the late interest so games were done on modified GC development kits). They were rush jobs. Zelda is a huge exception since it is a Game Cube game that was held back to come out on both the GC and Wii and it really pushes the GC cause it's one of Nintendo's flagship titles. Devs can be lazy yes however one has to look at what is going on with the Wii in proper context. Look at the initial line up and the games coming out soon, starting with Sonic and SSX Blur. There is a difference between Wii developed games and those that were ports. Sure they won't be at 360 levels but they don't need to be unless one is a "graphics, graphics, graphics, etc" person. Sony paying Factor 5 a LOT of money to make games with them was left out in that interview I agree. Sure I'd praise a console too at the expense of another if they payed me a LOT of cash to make games particular for one console.
beinss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 beinss
Member since 2004 • 1838 Posts
it takes time for the real good games to begin showing in the light. They're in development but atm the only ones that can be rushed are the sloppy games, which is why you mostly see ports and crap right now. In the near future more hits will be comming out. If you didnt notice the 360 and Ps3 launch was the same way, the only difference is neither had as great a launch line up as the Wii. (Yes im talking about Zelda mostly)
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
It's no secret that developers are throwing sloppy ports at the Wii to make easy profit, at the moment.
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
Don't worry, the more success the Wii has the more games being developed, and the more games being developed the more competition, and that will make developers do their best, or if not they will fail because someone else is going to do what they didn't!
mylastduchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mylastduchess
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]I knew this would happen, ever since the Wiimote was announced. Developers would get lazy on the visual front and just try and push out more party styled games, or spend too much time on controls instead of gameplay and visuals. Although niche developers like Factor 5 push every system to its limits, other companies like EA and Ubisoft just suck, and are plain lazy.

Well aren't the fanboys the ones who always say graphics doesn't matter cause you guys have a superior controller? Why should devs spend time and money on the graphics when fanboys doesn't seem to care about it?
jwcyclone15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jwcyclone15
Member since 2005 • 1149 Posts
[QUOTE="ironwarrior2"][QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]It's been posted but I agree. Wasn't Rebel Strike a launch game? Some say it still looks better than alot of 360 launch titles.danneswegman

You should see 1080p, nothing else even compares. I've got a 360 via VGA in 1080p, a PS3 via HDMI in 1080p, and a Wii via componet in 480p, and it looks like trash, the Wii does.

It funny...but many xbox 360 gamers tend to forget that. It just scaled to fit the screen. The PC isn't like that it actually does render all the pixel on the screen, doesn't "upscale" them.
downPlayDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 downPlayDemon
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
why are people blaming devs for crappy looking games. if zelda is the only game that can even compare to a GC game, its a problem with the hardware. dont call me biased(although i hate wii) Cuz it is the same thing when PS3 is compared to 360 graphically.
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts
I thought Luigi's Mansion looked better, and as for HD, I just want VGA cable support.