curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

Methinks, being in my late 30's that system wars was a thing of the past. Mostly fueled by nintendo vs sega/nintendo vs ps. I don't feel the need to have the discussion over which console is better or to which console am I faithful to. I have nintendo and playstation consoles and also play on steam. I get the games I want, consoles are just a medium to get there.

Well... do you care about console wars, or are you out of that adversity interest?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6205 Posts

@curono said:

Methinks, being in my late 30's that system wars was a thing of the past. Mostly fueled by nintendo vs sega/nintendo vs ps. I don't feel the need to have the discussion over which console is better or to which console am I faithful to. I have nintendo and playstation consoles and also play on steam. I get the games I want, consoles are just a medium to get there.

Well... do you care about console wars, or are you out of that adversity interest?

Don't think I was ever in systems wars for its truest sense.

I originally came to get quick updates on developments and I still use it for that I suppsose althought there is less of it these days.

Besides that its for shits and giggles.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

I don't care as much as I used to (from the years 2005-2008). It's not what it used to be. SW has some positive aspects, though. SW presents new articles that come out, so I'm always up to date on what's going on in the video game industry/community. I'll probably stay here for a few more years. Right now I don't have a job, nor am I in a relationship. I have lots of free time, so I might as well come here to keep myself busy.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Having real emotional feeling for a company you buy tech and software from is not normal,I 100% get the emotional attachment to sports teams,,I'm a big Newcastle United supporter but a plastic box 🤣,and hatred towards a company that makes a similar plastic box you won't buy because of brand loyalty 🤣🤣.

On the plus side,it's funny to wind the sad bastads up 🤣

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

They were good for competition. Drives people to do better. Nowadays, Xbox is a joke, Nintendo is mostly kid games and Sony is the only all around video game company. Unless they get some of these 'people' out of the video game industry and really all industry's things will be the same.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

There's nothing to fight about anymore. It was fun when everyone was doing something different, but now PlayStation and Xbox is the same thing. The few exclusives PS has suck ass and everything on Xbox is on PC. Nintendo is on hiatus. PC is the only good option for a true gamer.

We could fight about which console manufacturer sucks more I guess, but I'm not very interested. If console gaming started to not suck so much balls, it might ignite the SW spirit.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

@Litchie said:

There's nothing to fight about anymore. It was fun when everyone was doing something different, but now PlayStation and Xbox is the same thing. The few exclusives PS has suck ass and everything on Xbox is on PC. Nintendo is on hiatus. PC is the only good option for a true gamer.

We could fight about which console manufacturer sucks more I guess, but I'm not very interested. If console gaming started to not suck so much balls, it might ignite the SW spirit.

I agree with that. It's the gamers own fault as well. Xbox One with Kinect 2.0 (which was far more advanced than the first one), could have made the console differ a bit. But gamers wanted the console to be the exact same as the PS4 (minus the movie games) and now PS, Xbox and the PC largly share the exact same experience.

MS won't even go near any other gimmick now, like VR, because it's not really worth it with gamers.

We could have had the PC with it's own type of games, PS with it's own type of games, Xbox with it's own type of games and Switch with it's own type of games.

Now all you really need is the PC and Switch to be honest and you're pretty much good to go.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

Uhh does anyone actually care about this stuff? I thought we were here for the entertainment lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Never did. Just here for the lulz.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

System wars died in its legacy form... Game libraries, services, and industry approach has been pretty level among the companies for a while. The advent of the console exlusive and timed exclusive really nerfed the power of unique libraries that could be argued about.

Not sure if there is as compelling a fight anymore. It's really a lot of people arguing why they justified their purchase ignoring the fact that people who made the other console purchase are having the same amount of fun. 🤷

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

I don’t care about the arguments for or against video game companies, even as a kid I thought it was unintelligent and immature to make it a competition between fellow consumers. I come here just for news and updates on gaming in general, I don’t participate in the arguments of why X is better than X.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8410 Posts

"Nintendo vs Sega" was a fun topic when i was a kid and that eventually evolved into "Nintendo vs PlayStation vs Xbox" around the time i discovered this forum..

But once Nintendo started doing their own thing with the Wii and Xbox implemented Xbox Play Anywhere on PC, the "console war" was over in my eyes.. PlayStation was the clear winner with the PS4..

These days, I just enjoy the games (though I do prefer Xbox's ecosystem approach).. At this point, I mostly just come to SW out of habit and for the lolz that inherently come from both fanboys and concern trolls..

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25061 Posts

@Litchie said:

Nintendo on hiatus because they never innovate. sticking in 80s kiddy games. now thier audience are 50 year olds who grew up playing zelda mario and think gaming is not beyond them colorful. kids today play PUBG and fortnite.

PC is only single gaming platform for true gamer. get everything from sony to microsoft.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2092 Posts

Think 360, PS3, Wii era was the last time it was relevant tbh (by relevant I mean worth discussing), Nintendo has basically broken away into its' own subset of gaming, Sony and MS are basically doing the same thing and offer the same experience, PC is offering the widest experience but also has its' own drawbacks. So yeah System wars as a concept is lacking because it doesn't really feel like there's a clear differential these days.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

System Wars, what is it good for? lolol :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

I care about @SecretPolice

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

@kvallyx:

lol :P

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

Never have cared about it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44545 Posts

I never did care about “system wars” in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Nope I don't care it's childish AF. I can understand if you are in your teens and maybe in your early 20's because your brain isn't fully developed yet but fighting for corporations makes me want to throw up.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

Nope! That died during the PS2 era.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

Since you are in your late 30s, I am in my late 40s, and I felt the "system wars" are childish in the first place. The same goes with fanatically supporting a sports team or a political party or faction. I am not partisan or a tribalist in heart and as a middle-age adult, I feel I am too old for being one. The real-world events and experiences of the last several years shaped my current attitude against factionism in all its forms.

However, I do read what other users think on this forum, but once the posts become too one-sided, irrelevant or immature, I stop reading them. It is a shame that System Wars is a shell of its former self and I do not like how social media has mostly replaced message boards and blogs.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts

If PlayStation still had their forums, I would be there still. Game Spot has offered me entertainment though. When I was a child I would probably have been involved in "system wars," but I'm a different man and couldn't care less about material things, much less a company who I have no investment in financially.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Always. It's the hate that fuels me! >:(. j/k.

I like the see how the different consoles/handhelds stack up. Given the constraints of a console/hanheld: it's interesting to see the solution each company comes up with. Sometimes they meet the gamecube standard....other times it's an N64 :S. But it's interesting.

But in terms of only buying one console..playing only games from one company and joining team green/red/blue/...er whatever colour the PC is (rainbow? Beer coloured?)...nah i don't plant my flag on those hills. I'll play what i want on the machine i want to play it on. I have preferences of course.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

I never cared, I will always buy all the platforms, it's always entertaining though 😁

This!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Don't really care for consoles like that and being a PC gamer just kills the mood for this place to be more fun but anyway, I still come here out of bad habit, and what makes this place fun is interacting with users here, talking about games and this is still the most active forums on GS but this isn't saying much.

Don't really take SW seriously either.

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Litchie said:

I agree with that. It's the gamers own fault as well. Xbox One with Kinect 2.0 (which was far more advanced than the first one), could have made the console differ a bit. But gamers wanted the console to be the exact same as the PS4 (minus the movie games) and now PS, Xbox and the PC largly share the exact same experience.

MS won't even go near any other gimmick now, like VR, because it's not really worth it with gamers.

We could have had the PC with it's own type of games, PS with it's own type of games, Xbox with it's own type of games and Switch with it's own type of games.

Now all you really need is the PC and Switch to be honest and you're pretty much good to go.

You are aware Kinect 2.0 technology just wasn't advanced enough to stick around right? Even MS admitted making Kinect 2.0 was a mistake and even gamers like myself knew it just wasn't ready as the tech wasn't advanced enough to make it work. Not to mention it raise the price of Xbox One $500 made it look bad and cutting corners making the One look weaker. And it doesn't help the fact developers didn't want to take time implanting any of their games within Kinect 2.0 so in the end, without developers using it, makes Kinect 2.0 is worthless to have. I will admit, I did like Kinect on 360 first time around with Star Wars version and Kinect did took the fun away from Sony's wand for that matter lol.

MS isn't afraid of VR, the tech still has a long way to go which is why they aren't working VR and I do agree with MS not going Sony's route with VR. Even though I'm a PC gamer to heart, I still ended up purchasing XSS just to play old games and my kids use it more than me.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

All system warring is done on twitter nowadays.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Why won't you not care when a mad gamer is pure comedy? Free entertainment.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#30 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

nope, but its fun messing with people who do still care for some reason

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

Never did, you would just find some interesting news from certain posters.

The ideology of a game is what matters, NOT the system(s) it is playable on. I tend to buy a console after it has 5 games that interest me. If I enjoy all 5 games, that is money well spent on the system. Everything that comes after is just a bonus.

My tastes have been consistant: I like games that emphasize gameplay and mechanics, games with strong emergent gameplay, video game stories don't impress me since even the best are pale shadows compared to even a mediocre novel. Simulationy gameplay or Arcade? Honestly I love them both. Dwarf Fortress is one of my all time faves, but so is Super Mario. Both focus on doing what they set out to do and do it really well. Just give a game a clear vision, and stick to that.

Edit: All in all, my tastes align with games like this potential 2023 GOTY candidate,

Not current day AAA games.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

Nah, never 'cared' as such, I'm just here for 'shits and giggles'!

Like others have said, it's not the same as used to be, and I've been on here since probably the early noughties. That was back when exclusives were far more common and there were are lot more differences between the platforms.

Kinda reminds me of the banter I had with my friends in the school playground back when the C64 and the ZX Spectrum were the kings of video games! 😂

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@curono: yes my friend, of course I care. I shill for the big X 24/7. On top of that, I don't just believe xbox is better than ps5, I simply KNOW its better, its a fact at this point. We got gamepass, and we got bethesda, soon to be AB. There is no denying it, its a complete fact, and its funny watching cows get butthurt and flopping around. Another fact is 12 tflop > 9 tflop. Let this sink in deeply.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@Maroxad said:

Never did, you would just find some interesting news from certain posters.

The ideology of a game is what matters, NOT the system(s) it is playable on. I tend to buy a console after it has 5 games that interest me. If I enjoy all 5 games, that is money well spent on the system. Everything that comes after is just a bonus.

My tastes have been consistant: I like games that emphasize gameplay and mechanics, games with strong emergent gameplay, video game stories don't impress me since even the best are pale shadows compared to even a mediocre novel. Simulationy gameplay or Arcade? Honestly I love them both. Dwarf Fortress is one of my all time faves, but so is Super Mario. Both focus on doing what they set out to do and do it really well. Just give a game a clear vision, and stick to that.

Edit: All in all, my tastes align with games like this potential 2023 GOTY candidate,

Not current day AAA games.

I like this philosophy. You buy a system when it has 5 games that interest you. Imagine cows buying ps5 for crotchety and crank, demon souls remaster verions 2, tlou1 remaster version 4, horizon forgotten west and finally at the very very end of last year GoW. Ooff. Isn't this just sad?

With the xbox we got gamepass, theres 1000 reasons to buy the system. Nintendo? Its enough said, they've been pumping out quality since the beginning. Heck PC even has some great stuff with the steam deck (regular pc is trash though).

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blaznwiipspman1

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Nintendo on hiatus because they never innovate. sticking in 80s kiddy games. now thier audience are 50 year olds who grew up playing zelda mario and think gaming is not beyond them colorful. kids today play PUBG and fortnite.

PC is only single gaming platform for true gamer. get everything from sony to microsoft.

PC gaming is trash my friend, non stop bsod, driver issues, messing around with regedit, hackers and viruses. GPU that cost $4k lol. PC gaming is done, its trash period. On top of that CP flopped, did you forget 5/10?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

So true.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I like this philosophy. You buy a system when it has 5 games that interest you. Imagine cows buying ps5 for crotchety and crank, demon souls remaster verions 2, tlou1 remaster version 4, horizon forgotten west and finally at the very very end of last year GoW. Ooff. Isn't this just sad?

With the xbox we got gamepass, theres 1000 reasons to buy the system. Nintendo? Its enough said, they've been pumping out quality since the beginning. Heck PC even has some great stuff with the steam deck (regular pc is trash though).

I even wait a year or 2 before getting Nintendo systems. Even though they tend to be safe bets for me.

My only exception to this rule might be Steam Deck, since the utiltly from the thing might be worth it, especially if my gaming PC ends up falling apart. Gonna see if Thermal Paste will save my 1070 (series 40XX is a waste of money).

That said PC gaming is ace.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#38 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59330 Posts

Of course, wish ill on most of you.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

No, not after SONY won everything for so long, kinda gets boring.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

PC gaming is trash my friend, non stop bsod, driver issues, messing around with regedit, hackers and viruses. GPU that cost $4k lol. PC gaming is done, its trash period. On top of that CP flopped, did you forget 5/10?

See this is why System wars is such a draw to me I read this kind of bollox. The only thing there that is even remotely correct (and that's a tall order) is the cost of GPU's. Yes, currently GPU's are expensive, but not $4K expensive.

All the other crap is just pure bull. Even during the horrid Win9x period in the 90's did I ever need to open Regedit. Can't remember the last time I opened it, because I've never needed to open it. In the same way I've never needed to open the event viewer either.

Hackers? What type of 'hacking' are you referring to? If you're talking about online game cheating, well it's a bit of problem on consoles now too. As for viruses, can't think of the last time I had one. Don't download dodgy software, or view certain websites, no problem.

Windows is now a really solid OS. You should generally only get a BSOD with faulty hardware. Again, can't remember last time I've encountered a BSOD.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

PC mustard race, better luck next gen console plebs.

Nah, only time I was ever really about the system war, arguing about SNES and Genesis in elementary/middle school. But even back then, we all played both lol.

The forum was always about the fun, the metagame, riling up the few who did take it seriously. Even if it was a system I liked, even if it was my favorite system of the time, would still go after its fanboys for laughs.

These days, don't really engage in it. Metagame is dead. Forum is a relative ghost town, everyone knows everyone. Makes it impossible to flip into a different act and bait a different faction every day. And really just the nature of todays industry, these machines and their libraries, not all that interesting to argue about. Bickering over scraps, pretending any minor difference is a huge deal. Forum gets stuck on loop, arguing the same topic for months at a time.

Coming here is just a habit at this point. Shoot the shit, discuss games, dunk on the occasional fanboy take.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

So in other words, you don't know how PC gaming works? Gotcha.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

@davillain: Kinect 2.0 was fine. It didn't have much of a chance out the gate before it was dumped to complete with the price of the PS4.

It wasn't really explored much. The sales of the Xbox One was low, so, the incentives to develop with it were also low.

It was far more advanced than the first one. It could theoretically read emotions and stress levels too.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

I once did, I was young and stupid. 😅

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Of course, wish ill on most of you.

Never knew someone cared about me that much ♥

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10555 Posts

nope, never did.

when i first joined gs i was an enthusiast pc gamer, used to spend most my time swinging my dick around the pc forum with my pc spec loud and proud in my sig with the other pc nerds. i used to believe high end pc gaming was the best way to game but was always much more about the games, rather than the systems.

plus there was the required use of cow, sheep, lemming and hermit terms to describe the factions in sw. never, ever been able to bring myself to use them. they're just too cringe

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

LMAO

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Since you are in your late 30s, I am in my late 40s, and I felt the "system wars" are childish in the first place. The same goes with fanatically supporting a sports team or a political party or faction. I am not partisan or a tribalist in heart and as a middle-age adult, I feel I am too old for being one. The real-world events and experiences of the last several years shaped my current attitude against factionism in all its forms.

However, I do read what other users think on this forum, but once the posts become too one-sided, irrelevant or immature, I stop reading them. It is a shame that System Wars is a shell of its former self and I do not like how social media has mostly replaced message boards and blogs.

I had a N64. My friends came to play Smash Bros. I went to their house to play PS1. It was legit cool. We wanted some of each other's games from time to time. Specially me.

Sabertooth91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sabertooth91
Member since 2022 • 13 Posts

The gap between consoles today is so little. If you have a Microsoft console/ PC and a Switch youre pretty much covered. Never cared for PS anything tbh.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

I cared much more about it back in the 360/PS3 era; those SW threads were brutal.

Nowadays people just say nonsense, don't back it up and, then just move onto the next thread. lol

---

That being said, a ton of "ammunition" has been striped away so things are much less interesting.