Eighting with their Hunter x Hunter game is taking us back to a prior era of their work.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41544 Posts

How that is taken is YMMV, but I myself have had a bit of fondness for their era (PS2, GameCube, Wii) of anime licensed titles (like Naruto: Clash of Ninja and Zatch Bell! Mamodo Battles being my favorites), especially when devs like Netherrealm (MK 2011 and how X-Ray works) and even Bandai Namco's internal devs, like from Harada for instance, borrow from them to get newbies into Tekken (and SoulCalibur, but Bandai higher ups HATE that IP). Even developed a Pokemon fighting game feeling like it despite the title being a portmanteau of it's most popular IP.

Anyway...

I just wonder how it will be received, in a post-DBFZ world and with mainline fighting IPs (Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat) actually working hard to make their IP accessible after many gens of not being so even DURING the PS2/GCN/Xbox era. At least it's not an Arena fighter, which had been synonymous with anime licensed games since DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi and Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46405 Posts

I like this new visual style where they can make 3D models look like 2D sprites.

But yeah I suck at fighting games so I'm staying the hell away from them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nintendoboy16

@R4gn4r0k said:

I like this new visual style where they can make 3D models look like 2D sprites.

But yeah I suck at fighting games so I'm staying the hell away from them.

With Eighting's games, you don't need to worry about that. And I say this as someone who had SoulCalibur II and playing that as much as I did Naruto: CON, Zatch Bell! and even DBZ: Budokai (not Eighting, but Dimps) on GCN.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7299 Posts

I hope your right about them targeting gen 6 style. I've been playing through some games of that era I didn't put much time into back in the day, and really having a good time. Stuff like Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, and One Piece: Grand Adventure. Both were considered kinda mid then, but playing them now is like a breath of fresh air. Complete out of the box, with nothing to keep you coming back other than fun gameplay.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nintendoboy16

@judaspete said:

I hope your right about them targeting gen 6 style. I've been playing through some games of that era I didn't put much time into back in the day, and really having a good time. Stuff like Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, and One Piece: Grand Adventure. Both were considered kinda mid then, but playing them now is like a breath of fresh air. Complete out of the box, with nothing to keep you coming back other than fun gameplay.

Yup! They may not be EVO friendly, but man, do I like them. They played well enough to be pretty casual friendly (especially given they were considered "for the fans"). I even still like Dimps' DBZ Budokai (especially on GameCube for it's cel-shading not found on the PS2 version).

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7299 Posts

@nintendoboy16: First Budokai is a bit rough, but they put so much work into recreating the charm of the show. Clearly a labor of love. Sequels were better games overall, but never quite felt the same in that regard.

And yes, GC version looks great.