Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

God of War Ragnarok Breaks Series Sales Record

"Santa Monica Studio's God of War Ragnarok is one of this year's biggest launches, and now the highly-rated title breaks a series sales record.

God of War Ragnarok is Santa Monica Studio's latest entry from the franchise, and now it has broken a series sales record. God of War Ragnarok has received widespread critical acclaim since its launch, and fans love the newly launched action-adventure game. Fans eagerly awaited this game after being highly impressed with its predecessor, 2018's God of War. Naturally, experts in the gaming community expected God of War Ragnarok to have a spectacular launch.

Still, the action-adventure title from Santa Monica Studio has surpassed many expectations from fans and critics alike in only a couple of days since its release. God of War Ragnarok is one of the trending games on Twitch, as hundreds of thousands of fans are tuning in to watch streamers play the game. The Santa Monica release has now broken another milestone as it achieved the biggest launch in the UK in the franchise's history.

God of War games has a history of performing commercially well in the United Kingdom as numerous titles from the franchise have debuted at the top spot. Out of the 12 God of War games released in the UK, four managed to reach the number one spot while others also performed adequately. God of War Ragnarok joins the club of highly successful games from the franchise to top the UK sales chart, and that is based only on physical sales. Furthermore, the latest God of War title sold more copies in a single day than any other game from the franchise did in an entire week.

However, the most successful game from the God of War franchise was the 2018 action-adventure title, among the best-selling games of that year. Ragnarok's predecessor was behind only a handful of notable video games like Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Marvel's Spider-Man, FIFA 19, and Red Dead Redemption 2. Moreover, the reports also say that 55% of the game's PS5 sales came from the God of War hardware bundle, and fans are expecting God of War Ragnarok to break many more records as time progresses.

Fans have already watched more than 16 million hours of gameplay from God of War Ragnarok in only a few days of its release. The hype surrounding the latest God of War franchise is understandable, as fans have waited for years to see the series finale in the Norse era. The story of the game covers Ragnarok, an important event in Norse mythology, which was foretold in the previous title."

https://gamerant.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-uk-launch-sales-record/

Pretty impressive. Have you picked the game up yet? What do you think?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Kudos to Santa Monica Studios. 👍

I haven’t picked up my copy of the game yet but do look forward to doing so in the future.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19600 Posts

Where are the sales numbers?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

Ragnarok is a perfect example of why Sony exclusives are far far superior to anything Nintendo can offer, and MS isn't even comperable.

Playing the game, and its a 9.5/10 in my book.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts

That's fine and dandy, but I'm not hearing about it as much as I did Elden Ring. In fact, this is the only real thing I've seen Ragnarok related. Not even my YouTube "recommended" is recommending any of that to me, despite me watching mostly game and movie related stuff. I haven't changed my Internet habits at all for this to be the case. With that said, I realize that it doesn't mean that it's not shouted upon the rooftops simply because I haven't been hearing anything. Congrats to the Devs though. It was impressive to see them not fade into obscurity after the Greek era ended.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MysticalDonut

@Planeforger said:

I would expect sales figures to be publicly posted after the weekend is over. Sometime next week.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

Playing it now. It's not that exciting. An hour into it and meh

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

If I were a Lem right now, I’d take a long hard look at myself in the mirror, and wonder what wrong with my life.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Solid game, and I genuinely like a lot of the extra content. I think the best feature of both these games is the constant convos about the mythology and previous games.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

@mycatismilk: Ragnarok has averaged about the same number of viewers on Twitch as Modern Warefare 2 and, there are several videos on YouTube that are the top trending in gaming.

I do think Elden Ring was more talked about for a number of reasons but, GoW is without a doubt a big deal.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MysticalDonut

@tjandmia said:

Playing it now. It's not that exciting. An hour into it and meh

Considering in the first couple hours you get into a minifight with Freya, meet Thor AND Odin, and also fight The Huntress, you're lying

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

This is why Sony can charge $70. And also why it's a horrible idea to put high budget games on a day one subscription service. This will end up on PS Plus premium probably within a year if people wanna wait. I'm glad gamers are supporting these high budget games, even at $70. Means more to come.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MysticalDonut

@joshrmeyer said:

This is why Sony can charge $70. And also why it's a horrible idea to put high budget games on a day one subscription service. This will end up on PS Plus premium probably within a year if people wanna wait. I'm glad gamers are supporting these high budget games, even at $70. Means more to come.

Yes. High quality games oftentimes have high budgets and require the consumer to drop some dough on them.

Indies can still rock it though.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic  Online

@mysticaldonut said:
@Planeforger said:

I would expect sales figures to be publicly posted after the weekend is over. Sometime next week.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/11/11/god-of-war-ragnarok-sold-more-on-day-one-than-2018-god-of-war-did-in-a-week/

sold more on day one than 2018 GoW sold in a week!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

I am sure Sony gonna wait till the sequel to surpass sales of GoW 2018 (23 million) before putting it on any sub service. Better just pick up the game on sale if you gonna wait Sony not like Nintendo milking their fans, Sony and MS actually reduce prices.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

@tjandmia: " Playing it now. It's not that exciting. An hour into it and meh"

Are you doing more watching cutscenes or actual meaningful gameplay?

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

@PSP107: Meh. Haven't really had any meaningful gameplay yet. Just got to svartleheim, looking for tyr. The combat is boring in this game so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@hardwenzen: 'Ragnarok is a perfect example of why Sony exclusives are far far superior to anything Nintendo can offer, and MS isn't even comperable'

But after you bear it in 12 hours, what next? Coming to SW and arguing over sales numbers again until the 3rd one releases?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

@theam0g said:

@hardwenzen: 'Ragnarok is a perfect example of why Sony exclusives are far far superior to anything Nintendo can offer, and MS isn't even comperable'

But after you bear it in 12 hours, what next? Coming to SW and arguing over sales numbers again until the 3rd one releases?

Are new to SW or something? I will be talking about Halo Infinite of course. Its a very easy and obvious answer.

Btw if you think that i will 100% gow on the highest difficulty in 12h, you're on drugs. I played the original for over 150h, and i hear Ragnarok is bigger. I am set for a while with this game, then there's callisto, atomic heart and ER dlc.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Helps when you only leave the GoW bundle available forcing gamers to buy the game. Same thing they did with Horizon.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MysticalDonut

@mesome713 said:

Helps when you only leave the GoW bundle available forcing gamers to buy the game. Same thing they did with Horizon.

Lol wat

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@mysticaldonut: Yeah, in the UK you can only get a GoW bundle. Forcing people who want to buy a PS5 to also buy the game.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

What % of PlayStation gamers on PS4/pro/ps5 haven't bought it?

The answer is "that's why it's coming to pc"

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

Im ok to pay 70 bucks for a really good game. Just few hours into the game it starded quite slow but its nicely picking up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

This game saw heavy advertising starting around early October this year and marketing can really push a game further leading to more sales and God of War: Ragnarok sure had much anticipation for gamers. The question is, will Ragnarok have lags to go by? I'd be surprised if the new Pokemon games will overtake Ragnarok in a matter of speaking.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshRMeyer

@mesome713: If you're buying a PS5 right now, more than likely it's for GOW. Weird timing if you just decided 2 years into the lifespan to buy one right now if not for that reason. I bought one last week with the COD bundle. GOW wasn't offered.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@joshrmeyer said:

I'm not $70 dollars is ridiculous for a video game I don't care how good it is. This also gives these gaming companies more incentive to raise the price even higher in the future knowing they can get away with it.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@mysticaldonut: the cows were desperate and lacking any real games until this point. So it's not surprising. Meanwhile, us lems were shattering sales records. 20 million played halo infinite at launch, 15 million for forza horizon 5.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@warmblur said:
@joshrmeyer said:

I'm not $70 dollars is ridiculous for a video game I don't care how good it is. This also gives these gaming companies more incentive to raise the price even higher in the future knowing they can get away with it.

Let's be real about this whole $70, even back during SNES era, (and depending on where you live of course) $60-$90 was a thing in the past and $70 is no different either. Not every game is worth the same price, but if you feel you got your money's worth $70 isn't too bad for what you got out of the game. Developers put lots of effort into making games and that all falls down to who you know. I'm not saying all games are worth full price, but games like Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, RDR2, The Last of Us 2, and even God of War: Ragnarok were well worth it. I can clearly see all the effort the studios put into these games and that doesn't mean they are worthy of earning $70. There are AAA games that still goes by $60 such as Callisto Protocol on Steam but sucks to see console version paying $70 for it which I find ironic I'm paying less for the superior version PC vs current-gen console version. I'm still a PC gamer and there are lots of deals to get AAA games for even less if you know where to look😉😎

All in all, vote with your wallet.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@davillain said:
@warmblur said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Let's be real about this whole $70, even back during SNES era, (and depending on where you live of course) $60-$90 was a thing in the past and $70 is no different either. Not every game is worth the same price, but if you feel you got your money's worth $70 isn't too bad for what you got out of the game. Developers put lots of effort into making games and that all falls down to who you know. I'm not saying all games are worth full price, but games like Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, RDR2, The Last of Us 2, and even God of War: Ragnarok were well worth it. I can clearly see all the effort the studios put into these games and that doesn't mean they are worthy of earning $70. There are AAA games that still goes by $60 such as Callisto Protocol on Steam but sucks to see console version paying $70 for it which I find ironic I'm paying less for the superior version PC vs current-gen console version. I'm still a PC gamer and there are lots of deals to get AAA games for even less if you know where to look😉😎

Well said. Game Development is an extremely risky endeavor, and developers deserve to be rewarded when they make a great product.

As for PC games being superior - can you sell PC games? Don’t think so 😎

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@mysticaldonut: the cows were desperate and lacking any real games until this point. So it's not surprising. Meanwhile, us lems were shattering sales records. 20 million played halo infinite at launch, 15 million for forza horizon 5.

Players don't equal sales and is a meaningless metric. Halo and Forza did trash numbers at retail. And you can't blame it on Game Pass since it's only about 10 to 13 percent of Xbox's business

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

I don't think a sequel to a popular game sells less than the original very often. Couple that with the fact that GoW R is the only game PS5 owners currently looked forward to. If it didn't sell well I'd be very surprised.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I don't like selling my games after I beat it and their are times I like replaying my old games. I never understood why a gamer should feel the need to sell his/her games when it can be saved for generations to come. PC still stands if you aren't the kind of person who doesn't care for selling games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
@davillain said:

@SolidGame_basic: I don't like selling my games after I beat it and their are times I like replaying my old games. I never understood why a gamer should feel the need to sell his/her games when it can be saved for generations to come. PC still stands if you aren't the kind of person who doesn't care for selling games.

We like having options. Sell if you want to. Lend or borrow too. I usually do not replay games I’ve played already unless it’s a GOAT like MGS 2. Also, I still buy digital too. I just like having options. But I understand where you’re coming from. Also, in rare cases, your game can become rare and valuable 😮

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MysticalDonut

@davillain said:
@warmblur said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Games should not have jumped from $60 to $70

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

This game would have decapitated Halo Infinite sales like it was nothing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@davillain said:
@warmblur said:
@joshrmeyer said:

I see what you're saying and I get it but you can't convinced me that $70 dollars isn't out of greed because lets be honest it is. And I agree that you should vote with your wallet but the problem is that the majority of gamers don't so in the end it doesn't even matter. But for me personally I will never buy a game for $70 because I think it's a scam I just don't want to see people complaining when they raise the price again because the ones that payed full price you did this. I can guarantee this is going to happen in the future these greedy publishers never have enough money for their nose candy habbit.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JoshRMeyer

@warmblur: @mysticaldonut: Maybe I'm old school, but do you guys not realize games have actually gotten cheaper to buy but more expensive to make the last 30+ years? A Nintendo game back in 1985 would cost $165.21 based on inflation. That's on the high end, but even budget games would be more expensive than the $70 new games are today. Grocery prices have gone up 24% in the last 2 years(the stuff we actually need). Why is it surprising that games would go up 16%? You can call it greed, but these gaming companies aren't in the charity business. I personally rarely ever buy games at full price, maybe once or twice a year, so this isn't that big of a deal for me.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3542 Posts

GOTY EZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@joshrmeyer said:

@warmblur: @mysticaldonut: Maybe I'm old school, but do you guys not realize games have actually gotten cheaper to buy but more expensive to make the last 30+ years? A Nintendo game back in 1985 would cost $165.21 based on inflation. That's on the high end, but even budget games would be more expensive than the $70 new games are today. Grocery prices have gone up 24% in the last 2 years(the stuff we actually need). Why is it surprising that games would go up 16%? You can call it greed, but these gaming companies aren't in the charity business. I personally rarely ever buy games at full price, maybe once or twice a year, so this isn't that big of a deal for me.

Of course their not but there's a different between fair price and greed. Most games back in the 90's cost more because they where cartridge base and harder to produce it had to do with the chipset. There was a legit reason I just don't buy the inflation argument for video games these days. I also don't know why people defend these companies that are charging them more and just accept it.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@joshrmeyer:

This game along with horizon and gt aren't even true PS5 titles. I think later on down the line we will get PS5 titles exclusively from those series and it will warrant a 70$ price point.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MysticalDonut

@warmblur said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Of course their not but there's a different between fair price and greed. Most games back in the 90's cost more because they where cartridge base and harder to produce it had to do with the chipset. There was a legit reason I just don't buy the inflation argument for video games these days. I also don't know why people defend these companies that are charging them more and just accept it.

I remember some N64 games being $70-80. It was always said the cost of developing for cartridges is what drove the high game prices up. Things were at a steady $50-60 thanks to games being on disc for the last 25 years.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#45 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3664 Posts

Need to beat God of War and probably get Ragnarok when the Deluxe Edition is $60.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Miyomatic: haven’t finished it yet, but I’m starting to think it may be!

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MysticalDonut

God of War Ragnarok’s Physical Launch Sales Beat Call Of Duty, Pokemon, And Elden Ring In The UK

God of War Ragnarok is seeing tremendous success, and its physical launch sales beat Call Of Duty, Pokemon, and Elden Ring in the UK.

https://gamerant.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-physical-launch-sales-uk/#:~:text=The%20game%20sold%20more%20boxed,remaining%2018%25%20were%20on%20PS4.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidGame_basic  Online

@mysticaldonut: game is fantastic! I’m about 15 hours in.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

The cows have been starving for new games so a new $70.00 movie to watch is better than nothing, I guess. lol :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic  Online

@SecretPolice said:

The cows have been starving for new games so a new $70.00 movie to watch is better than nothing, I guess. lol :P

You’re so sad lol. Just accept that Sony has a great year, Xbox didn’t 😇