SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45494 Posts

https://kotaku.com/gta-6-gtavi-grand-theft-auto-price-70-take-two-ceo-t2-1851489239

It’s only been about two years or so since the video game industry began charging $70 for big games instead of the usual $60, due to game development costs increasing (and greed). This shift, understandably, didn’t go over well with players as the cost to stay up-to-date with modern gaming continues to rise, but that might not stop Take-Two Interactive (the parent company of Rockstar Games) from trying to push it further with Grand Theft Auto VI—one of the few upcoming games that could probably sell for $80.

In 2022, the era of $70 video games began. Since then we’ve seen WB Games, Activision, Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation, and other companies begin selling their biggest, fanciest games for $10 more than the $60 price tag that had been in place for years. The reaction to these increased prices wasn’t great, but games like Call of Duty and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sold well even with the higher price tag. And in Take-Two’s latest earnings call, CEO Strauss Zelnick seemed to set the groundwork for prices going up.

As reported by Gamespot, when Zelnick was asked about how Take-Two decides what to charge for games like Grand Theft Auto VI and Borderlands, he didn’t provide any specific prices and instead shared the publisher’s pricing philosophy.

“Look, there’s more content constantly being made available, and we really aim to deliver great value at any given time,” said Zelnick. “We’re so focused on delivering more value than what we charge. And that’s sort of the rubric.”

He further added that whenever Take-Two establishes a game’s price, the company wants to make sure that it’s “good news” for players and that “the experience vastly over delivers” compared to the price point. “ That’s the goal,” added Zelnick.

Oh snap! Do you think there’s a good chance this will happen, SW? I think so.. people go nuts for GTA. Isn’t GTA V the best selling at this point? Would you pay more than $70 for GTA 6?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39709 Posts

If there's one game that could do it its GTA6. The backlash is gonna get rolled over by the hype. So yea, i do believe it will happen, actually. When it does, what i want to see is Ubishop to be the second ones to release a $80 game. Ah nvm their asscreed and star wars games are already $130 if you want the full game🤦‍♂️

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44549 Posts

Zelnick is totally laying the groundwork for this to happen. Upset folks about it now so that everyone is ready for it when it happens. Of all the games that struggle to make money Grand Theft Auto is at the top of my list.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

I don't think so. They'll just sell at full price for much longer. They already know it will sell an absurd amount of copies.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1298 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, and I'm sure they could get away with it, especially if GTA 6 has online like the previous game did. Rockstar also seems to pump out quality product, particularly with GTA, and of course Red Dead Redemption. If anyone can do it, it's Rockstar.

Let's say they don't. I'm sure they could be one of the few live service games that gets people hooked.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18829 Posts

I didn't even pay for $60 games.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6723 Posts

Yeah they'll go $80 and Sony will follow when they eventually release a game of their own 🤣

I haven't bought a game from crockstar since GTA4 on the 360, and that game was horrendous (but reviewers gave it 9's & 10's go figure 🙄) so it's an easy pass for me, but for the rest of ya, pay up suckers, crockstar needs your help to fund their ceo's helicopter pad and boat launcher 🤣

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

Honestly, given how much GTAV has made over the years from MTX and the online component, GTA6 should be free to play or at least severely discounted. Maybe give folks that bought GTAV a discount.

But we don't live in that world, where publishers appreciate their success by acknowledging that success is only due to their consumers. Instead we get raised prices because they know they can exploit their customers, and likely more predatory MTX practices, and an end-product that (assuming industry trends continue) will probably be a lower quality product than its predecessor.

Boy I'm in a mood today. Usually more optimistic. But this is Take Two we are talking about so...deserved I guess.

Anyway, GTAV was disappointing. I'll buy GTA6, but at a serious discount in a few years. I waited for GTAV, I waited for RDR2, I'll wait for GTA6

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

I wouldn't put it past them. They could make it $100 and it will still top charts for years.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70414 Posts

@fedor said:

I wouldn't put it past them. They could make it $100 and it will still top charts for years.

I hope it is $100.😈

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8911 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I wouldn't buy it at $29.95. So, if you GTA suckers want to pay $100 for it, more power to you.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 297

#12 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Sounds like theft.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1274 Posts

I'll get it for 20 (or less)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56413 Posts

Not like I was gonna buy it day one anyway since the PC version won't be out till 2026 and by then, it should cost $50...me hope.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

@last_lap: Should we care what CEOs do with the money they earn?

And for the other posters on this thread: why care what other gamers (whom most you will never know or meet in person) will pay for this game? You do not have to agree with them or follow them. If you feel that $70 is not the price for the game, do not buy it at that price and ignore others who choose to buy it at that price.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3118 Posts

I paid $70 something for Spear of Destiny, and $80 for MK2 on SNES in the 90s. Am I missing something with this "first $80 game" nonsense?

@mrbojangles25: Right. Haven't they made billions off the mtx? How much more do they need? If that extra money went into making other cool games, that would be something. But even then, that doesn't guarantee a good game. RDR2 had production through the roof, and the game was absolutely not fun.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Now that's quadruple Ay.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Last_Lap

@onesiphorus: Why do you care about why I care about ceo's and their money?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2150 Posts

SE already selling FF7R for 80€ in Europe.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 725 Posts

I never pay new games prices so I couldn't care less.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59338 Posts

This does not surprise me in the slightest.

Said months back they would try pull some greedy shit.

Multiplayer will also most likely ,make Diablo 4 looks reasonable.

Once again, giving up on AAA is paying off.

Sociopathic CEOs, sheep like gamers, limp gaming media, and the hottest game sure to break records.

Le surprise.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@PSP107 said:

I didn't even pay for $60 games.

Yeah I'm still stuck in that "PC games used to cost $50" mindset.

And there is a very good reason that they used to cost that much: PC is an open system so there are no royalties that need to be paid to Nintendo, Sony, MS or the likes.

Which is also why it amazes me when MS says they want Steam running on their Xbox...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

Ring Fit Adventure cost 80 dollars. Worth the price.

That said... I wouldnt pay even 20 dollars for a GTA game. Hell, I didnt even bother installing GTA5 for free on Gamepass.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1411 Posts

Cows...more than 70...Booooo

Sony if they charge cows more than 70 in the future....take my money sony..we love you.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3508 Posts

I'm pretty sure of it. And imo if there's a game that justifies being more expensive GTA is the one.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9161 Posts

Inflation is a thing and the fact that games haven't or barely raised their prices in 30 years is remarkable. case in point:

Price for new SNES games at release in 1994: $50 to $70

Adjusted for inflation (in other words, in today's dollars): $107 to $150

So games essentially cost twice as much 30 years ago compared to today.

This is a hobby we enjoy, so what's another $10 here and there? $10 is nothing nowadays.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

@ogvampire: Yeah, games nowadays are dirt cheap compared to what they used to be. GTA6 should be able to charge $120+ for itself comparatively.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9161 Posts

@Willy105: exactly. conversely, props to my parents who bought these games for me back in the day. it cost so much more and we had so much less

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

I really hate this train of thought where people think gaming publishers are being reasonable rather than having an entire team of suited weasels in a room thinking of ways to **** you.

Deluded.

Enjoy being porked.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371

@uninspiredcup: I somewhat think that a number CEO’s draw suggestions from a bowl on how to screw over consumers. Probably do it on their yacht parties after snorting coke off a hooker’s ass.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Archangel3371: B..b...b...but gaming a cheapy hobby wobby! We should be reasonable with the American Phyco men who want to get kiddies into gambling.

We're so entitled. It's a luxury, which means we think about them. (the real heroes)

If you can't buy a boat and snort some coke of a prostitutes asshole, what is even the point of life? Have a cost of living crisis and some bozos are literally just thinking about themselves.

Production cost for cutscenes have gone up. Even though, it will be the best selling game of all time, the best selling product in all of media, ever, and be used as way to normalize increased pricing for the other American Phyco men who have games that are less hot but can use this as an excuse.

I for one, think, something something. Dribble. Dribble.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371

@uninspiredcup: And here we thought that Rockstar was doing parody in their GTA games. Turns out they were doing real life documentary. 😂

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34778 Posts

Of course. Hundreds of dollars of microtransactions on top of that too.

@SolidGame_basic said:

Would you pay more than $70 for GTA 6?

I would pay around $0 for GTA 6. That's what I did with GTA 5. Still didn't play it.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2154 Posts

I'm really can't wait to see how the online has evolved. Don't really care much about the single player.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3508 Posts

@ogvampire: yeah but... What was the install base and how many copies were sold? What about microtransactions? How long did it take you to beat an old SNES game? How big was supply and demand? How expensive was the physical support and manuals?

Back in the 90s buying a game felt like doing a long time investment. I had to be sure about what to buy because I would be stuck with it for some time. Nowadays games have little push back and for the most part feel disposable. There's absolutely no reason for games to be comparatively as expensive as they were in the 90s because product characteristics and market dynamics changed dramatically.

That being said if there's a game that can get away with it us GTA because what they deliver is so above what everyone else does. BUT with the insane money they do with online stuff, even that I feel hard to justify.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44280 Posts

GamePass or bust!! lol :P

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts

@last_lap said:

Yeah they'll go $80 and Sony will follow when they eventually release a game of their own 🤣

I haven't bought a game from crockstar since GTA4 on the 360, and that game was horrendous (but reviewers gave it 9's & 10's go figure 🙄) so it's an easy pass for me, but for the rest of ya, pay up suckers, crockstar needs your help to fund their ceo's helicopter pad and boat launcher 🤣

Or maybe, just maybe not everyone else shares your opinion the GTA franchise. Mind boggling huh?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7288 Posts

They could charge £100 and it will still sell millions.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap

@ermacness: I don't care if you or anyone else shares it or not., we're all allowed to have our own opinion on it.

I hope they charge a hundred for it just to see people like you bend over backwards to defend them lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Maybe a first for the modern industry, spent way more than that for some games in the 90s. Not even talking inflation, something like Phantasy Star 4 was straight up 100 bucks in the US. Plenty of other games hitting the 70, 80, 90 mark back then.

Anyways, no interest in GTA, but they could obviously pull it off.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371

Remember paying $100 and $115 for Street Fighter II and Chrono Trigger respectively for the SNES. Worth every penny of course.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ermacness

@last_lap said:

@ermacness: I don't care if you or anyone else shares it or not., we're all allowed to have our own opinion on it.

I hope they charge a hundred for it just to see people like you bend over backwards to defend them lol

Apparently not if you’re calling the one’s who are buying it “suckers“.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Last_Lap

@ermacness: By me calling them suckers is my opinion and we're all allowed to have one. If you don't think people paying a higher price for GTA makes you a sucker then that's your opinion. See we both are allowed and have an opinion on it.

Pretty simple really, not sure how you're not catching on 🤷‍♂️

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44686 Posts

I don't believe it, but I can see some pricey special editions. I think it's any potential online mode they have planned that will be the big money maker.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ermacness

@last_lap said:

@ermacness: By me calling them suckers is my opinion and we're all allowed to have one. If you don't think people paying a higher price for GTA makes you a sucker then that's your opinion. See we both are allowed and have an opinion on it.

Pretty simple really, not sure how you're not catching on 🤷‍♂️

Having a derogatory outlook on a group of people because they don’t agree or see the world the way you do means that you’re not ok with them having a different opinion than yours, no matter if it’s your opinion on the matter or not.

I don’t know why such concept is hard to grasp.

🤷‍♂️

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1274 Posts

And then they can release an enhanced edition for $90 in a couple years . Hooray for corporate profits

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Last_Lap

@ermacness: Geez dude trying to take some moral high ground here.

You're a cow on here and have had opinions that one could say is derogatory against an entire fanbase (lems) but now you want to cry about being called a sucker for buying a game at a inflated price (that we don't know is real or not yet) that's crazy.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

@Litchie said:

I would pay around $0 for GTA 6. That's what I did with GTA 5. Still didn't play it.

You couldn't pay me to play GTA.

Maybe I am being harsh. Fool me once with San Andreas, Shame on you, fool me twice with GTA 4 and shame on me. After Red Dead Redemption. I don't even trust Rockstar with a new IP.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ermacness

@last_lap said:

@ermacness: Geez dude trying to take some moral high ground here.

You're a cow on here and have had opinions that one could say is derogatory against an entire fanbase (lems) but now you want to cry about being called a sucker for buying a game at a inflated price (that we don't know is real or not yet) that's crazy.

I only made derogatory remarks “IN RESPONSE TO“ a derogatory claim or sentence that was already made. I don’t make a derogatory claim towards someone just because they prefer a particular console over another, it’s when they make a derogatory comment about a faction, company, or console.