Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20239 Posts

@Macutchi said:

people scoff at tlou's gameplay but i defy you to name a game that has better plank placing mechanics. bin moving too. go ahead, try, you won't find one.

but even more seriously, one problem i have with tlou 1 and 2 is you don't get the chance to really soak in the environments and atmosphere because in every non action segment you're forced to scour every single nook and cranny to scavenge supplies. you don't do it by choice, or by curiosity to explore, or to examine the little details dotted about to understand more about the lore, you do it because you need some more sticky tape and scissors. apparently nd can't figure out a better way to equip you. let's hope the tv show isn't too faithful in that regard.

on topic im looking forward to the hbo show. it's from the same guy who wrote chernobyl the mini series which is one of my favourite shows. i'd say it's a bad thing theyre encouraging hiring based on whether or not they played the game. lets not forget when 343 started halo 4 and went out of their way to hire people who disliked halo or hadn't played it to try and bring new ideas to the series. that ended well didn't it

Scrounging for supplies in a post-apocalyptic world is exactly what they were going for. If you want more supplies all over then lower the difficulty to easy and you'll be fully stocked all the time. It ruins the game though.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

@thedork_knight said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I don't think you're a real person. I'm pretty sure you're an AI that was coded to say the most asinine things for the sole purpose of annoying PlayStation fans. That's the only explanation we have for any of this.

"I think this is genius, we need a fresh take on The Last of Us story, i always felt the story kinda sucked and was boring at times"

There's hot takes but then there's this statement which is on a whole other level

What's so great about the TLOU story?

TLOU's story is generally considered to be the best aspect of the game. The sequel created so much controversy because they pretty much shit all over the first game's story and what made that game so memorable.

But to answer your question.... while TLOU had a generic "zombie apocalypse, we must find a cure" plotline, the actual storyline is about Joel's grief and the effects of it. The game connected with so many people because he was a father in anguish still mourning the loss of his daughter decades later and learning to love not only others, but himself, again through Ellie. And while this isn't a super original idea by any stretch of the imagination, the game was brought to life by some of the best writers, animators and voice actors the industry had to offer at the time.

How can they be some of the best writers when all they can come up with is something that isn't a super original idea?

What your saying is that Joel has a good story arc and character development.

Those two components are also makeups of a good story. Of course, we also have to separate story and storytelling. Great stories can be told poorly. Average stories can be told greatly. I believe TLoU is the latter. The story wasn't great, but the storytelling from guiding us through Joel's perspective was more than efficiently told to us to feel for the character, understand his motivations, know why he is doing what he does, and supports the over-arching theme of the story being told. This, all of course, using some of the most generic overplayed tropes in story and storytelling----E.g. Joel changes his mind about Ellie after Ellie "saves" him.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10554 Posts

@Zero_epyon: if scrounging for supplies is all they were going for then job done. but clearly it's not.

yes, at heart it's a survival game, and a heavily scripted survival game. but there's a a balance to be had between creating a survive-using-anything-you-can-get-your-hands-on atmosphere, and making the act of scavenging so repetitive and chore-like that you're seriously weighing up what's worse, being bitten by a clicker or being forced to spend so much time huggin every wall, counter top, table and garbage bag waiting for that "you can interact with me" icon only to find a rag, brick or something similarly mundane to craft an equally mundane weapon.

wouldn't go so far as using your phrasing saying it ruins the game, but it certainly doesn't help the atmosphere or immersion. it's pulling you away from the scripted story and progression. the characters you're with are trying to lead you to the next area, talking to you to build on the story and characterisation, and you're like hold up there's a decrepit toilet over here i need to explore first in case there's some nuts and bolts in the bowl.

it's not that i want more supplies, it's that i want more variety and imagination in ways to get equipped

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#54 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I bet it’s better than the halo show.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

well as the games director said, its supposed to have simple story, complex characters which it achieved very well

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#56 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

@cainetao11: The catalogue reading half an hour of go with pictures of Legos while sitting on the shitter is better than the Halo TV show.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17693 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Now this might make butthurt fans upset, " Yes, don’t do any research on the game that millions of people love so we can make it completely different and the only thing that’s the same is the name. "

Well yeah, duh.

If they're going to eschew the fundamental core traits of what people love about the series, why bother calling it The Last of Us? People are fans for a good reason.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

If Uwe Boll isn't directing it, what's the point?

Loading Video...

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#59 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

@cdragon_88: I can't believe there is actually intelligent life on System Wars. It makes me want to cry.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MysticalDonut

@Zero_epyon said:
@Macutchi said:

people scoff at tlou's gameplay but i defy you to name a game that has better plank placing mechanics. bin moving too. go ahead, try, you won't find one.

but even more seriously, one problem i have with tlou 1 and 2 is you don't get the chance to really soak in the environments and atmosphere because in every non action segment you're forced to scour every single nook and cranny to scavenge supplies. you don't do it by choice, or by curiosity to explore, or to examine the little details dotted about to understand more about the lore, you do it because you need some more sticky tape and scissors. apparently nd can't figure out a better way to equip you. let's hope the tv show isn't too faithful in that regard.

on topic im looking forward to the hbo show. it's from the same guy who wrote chernobyl the mini series which is one of my favourite shows. i'd say it's a bad thing theyre encouraging hiring based on whether or not they played the game. lets not forget when 343 started halo 4 and went out of their way to hire people who disliked halo or hadn't played it to try and bring new ideas to the series. that ended well didn't it

Scrounging for supplies in a post-apocalyptic world is exactly what they were going for. If you want more supplies all over then lower the difficulty to easy and you'll be fully stocked all the time. It ruins the game though.

TLOU slow, methodic, strategic, tactical gameplay not only makes for intense moments in the single player campaign but it also is fantastic in the multiplayer. Almost ten years later and nothing has come close to emulating it.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MysticalDonut

@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I gave him the perfect answer but someone who was never gonna play the game and just wants to hate on it isn't gonna care either way lol

No, what you gave me was what you think a perfect answer is to DC its generic run of the mill story. So if the story is generic and well gameplay is sh*t and generic. What's then, oh yeah, it's just production values and acting. You lot wouldn't give it a second look if it didn't have those even with the same gameplay, same story and even same story telling. Oh and I did play it was was scratching my head all the way through the end wondering what's 'mature' or exceptional about it. Won't gonna do it for the sequel or any Sony title for that matter. All tries to pull the same sh*t with different coat of paint.

I'll post a picture of my hours played if you want but I am a little self conscious about it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

If the script is good and faithful to the story, there is no need for any of them to play the game.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8508 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I gave him the perfect answer but someone who was never gonna play the game and just wants to hate on it isn't gonna care either way lol

No, what you gave me was what you think a perfect answer is to DC its generic run of the mill story. So if the story is generic and well gameplay is sh*t and generic. What's then, oh yeah, it's just production values and acting. You lot wouldn't give it a second look if it didn't have those even with the same gameplay, same story and even same story telling. Oh and I did play it was was scratching my head all the way through the end wondering what's 'mature' or exceptional about it. Won't gonna do it for the sequel or any Sony title for that matter. All tries to pull the same sh*t with different coat of paint.

I'll post a picture of my hours played if you want but I am a little self conscious about it.

Why would I need that and what will it prove?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Macutchi

@mysticaldonut said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Macutchi said:

TLOU slow, methodic, strategic, tactical gameplay not only makes for intense moments in the single player campaign but it also is fantastic in the multiplayer. Almost ten years later and nothing has come close to emulating it.

what's that got to do with anything we were talking about?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MysticalDonut

@Macutchi said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Macutchi said:

what's that got to do with anything we were talking about?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MysticalDonut
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

That I highly enjoy the gameplay and have played for a very long time, lol

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

And in the end, that is all that matters.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MysticalDonut

@kvallyx said:
@mysticaldonut said:

And in the end, that is all that matters.

This is why we are here

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Macutchi

@mysticaldonut: oh ok, was just me being silly. tbh i don't think tlou 1 has aged all that well when it comes to stealth based survival combat. i'm playing the remake at the minute and it's showing its age at times. feels a bit one dimensional, and the incessant need to scavenge gets in the way of the story and your ability to soak up the atmosphere, distraction free (tlou2 didn't improve much in that regard though either). i think days gone, despite its faults, had tighter stealth mechanics and gave you a few more combat options to play with. dying light 2 whilst similarly flawed also has its moments.

tlou2 though is close to god tier. but only the few times (mainly first few days in seattle) when you're in a wide open setting for long uninterrupted periods (i.e. little to no cinematics or narrative). crazy intense and absolutely nails the desperate, survive by any means necessary atmosphere that tlou 1 paved the way for

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 KvallyX

Hopefully the show looks better than The Last of Us Part 1 Remake. I was playing more last night, and it looked like...well....ass?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MysticalDonut

@Macutchi said:

@mysticaldonut: oh ok, was just me being silly. tbh i don't think tlou 1 has aged all that well when it comes to stealth based survival combat. i'm playing the remake at the minute and it's showing its age at times. feels a bit one dimensional, and the incessant need to scavenge gets in the way of the story and your ability to soak up the atmosphere, distraction free (tlou2 didn't improve much in that regard though either). i think days gone, despite its faults, had tighter stealth mechanics and gave you a few more combat options to play with. dying light 2 whilst similarly flawed also has its moments.

tlou2 though is close to god tier. but only the few times (mainly first few days in seattle) when you're in a wide open setting for long uninterrupted periods (i.e. little to no cinematics or narrative). crazy intense and absolutely nails the desperate, survive by any means necessary atmosphere that tlou 1 paved the way for

The second game's gameplay is so good that it ruins the experience of the first game to an extent.

All the more reason why it was extremely dumb and lazy to not put Part II's gameplay mechanics fully into the Part 1 remake.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3504 Posts

Would rather have a game in the same universe with different characters.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

And how that relates to what I said?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MysticalDonut
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Wow....you said "you lot wouldn't give it a second look" if the game had lower production values and acting but still the same gameplay. I have been telling you in multiple responses now that I have thousands of hours in this game that prove otherwise because the gameplay is addicting. That is all.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Wow....you said "you lot wouldn't give it a second look" if the game had lower production values and acting but still the same gameplay. I have been telling you in multiple responses now that I have thousands of hours in this game that prove otherwise because the gameplay is addicting. That is all.

And I'm right. You didn't disprove me. You're still playing the game with the same production values. And that thousands of hours of gameplay is probably in the MP, if I were to guess. If that's the case you just proved my point.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MysticalDonut

@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

And I'm right. You didn't disprove me. You're still playing the game with the same production values. And that thousands of hours of gameplay is probably in the MP, if I were to guess. If that's the case you just proved my point.

But yet there's no highly produced cutscenes or anything in the MP

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:

Also not the sh*t tier AI and scripted, boring encounters. BTW, MP has a story?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MysticalDonut

@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:

Sort of, there's a meta game to it where you do specific challenges to grow your survivor clan. If you ignore the challenges or don't do well consistently in matches, your survivors get hungry, sick and eventually die. There used to be a feature back in the day to link your Facebook account to it and you would see the names of people you actually know scrolling by lol "John Smith is out hunting for deer meat"

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:

Sort of, there's a meta game to it where you do specific challenges to grow your survivor clan. If you ignore the challenges or don't do well consistently in matches, your survivors get hungry, sick and eventually die. There used to be a feature back in the day to link your Facebook account to it and you would see the names of people you actually know scrolling by lol "John Smith is out hunting for deer meat"

I won't comment on MP because I never played it. I was talking about the SP.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MysticalDonut

@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:

The single player and multiplayer game are both great and worth the price of admission. The production values, cutscenes, voice acting, etc. are just added bonuses

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

The single player and multiplayer game are both great and worth the price of admission. The production values, cutscenes, voice acting, etc. are just added bonuses

Yeah, no! Ask your fellow cows themselves about that. Forget cows, ask Sony about that. They abandoned MP a long time ago and the remake didn't have it. Unlike you they know what their audience spends most of their time in and for what.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#82 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@uninspiredcup: yo mama

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MysticalDonut

@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Yeah, no! Ask your fellow cows themselves about that. Forget cows, ask Sony about that. They abandoned MP a long time ago and the remake didn't have it. Unlike you they know what their audience spends most of their time in and for what.

TLOU MP is still alive and well on PS4 (and now PS5) almost ten years later. Plenty of people enjoy the multiplayer and are excited for more information about the sequel next year. You dunno what you are talking about.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

The show isn't written or directed by the actors; the script is their source material.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

The show isn't written or directed by the actors; the script is their source material.

This. OP, is a doofus. Or a kid.

The actors not playing the game does not mean the show will stay away from the source material.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

This. OP, is a doofus. Or a kid.

The actors not playing the game does not mean the show will stay away from the source material.

He builds castles with cardboard (Nintendo Labo), so ill let you guess😊

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@shellcase86: It could be it. It means they don’t want them to try to be like the characters in the game. And no need to insult people here, your better than that mate.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:

TLOU MP is still alive and well on PS4 (and now PS5) almost ten years later. Plenty of people enjoy the multiplayer and are excited for more information about the sequel next year. You dunno what you are talking about.

Apparently, those aren't plenty or Sony wouldn't have abandoned the MP. Majority plays the SP once and never looks back again.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 KvallyX

Finished The Last of Us Part 1 Remake. Nicely improved over the PS4 remaster. I must say it sucks that we don’t unlock all the skins until the game is finished. I’m not gonna play it AGAIN. They didn’t put much thought into that.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:

What's so great about the TLOU story?

I don't know and I have played and enjoyed the game.

come on for a video game it has a great story. maybe not legacy of kain story but a great one.

would you rather save the princess over and over again?

or shoot and ask questions later lol?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Gifford38

@mesome713 said:

It appears the actors were asked to not play the games as they prepared for their roles for the tv show. Actress Bella Ramsey recalls "after my first audition, they asked me, 'have you played it?' And I said 'nope', and they said, 'keep it that way'". I think this is genius, we need a fresh take on The Last of Us story, i always felt the story kinda sucked and was boring at times. But since they arent being bound by the source, they can actually turn The Last of Us into a great Walking Dead and start Game of Thronesing characters left and right. I want to see them bodies dropping like flies.

Now this might make butthurt fans upset, " Yes, don’t do any research on the game that millions of people love so we can make it completely different and the only thing that’s the same is the name. " Them weirdos arent gonna watch it anyway, theyre gonna post 1/10 reviews on media sites and call it a day. So no sense in even trying to cater to them, they wouldnt know a good story even it was written by Ernest Hemingway himself.

What say you system warriors, are yall ready to turn the batched story around and await greatness?

Source

not a great story? ok go save the princess over and over again. man fanboys are so not smart sometimes.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Gifford38

@kvallyx said:

Finished The Last of Us Part 1 Remake. Nicely improved over the PS4 remaster. I must say it sucks that we don’t unlock all the skins until the game is finished. I’m not gonna play it AGAIN. They didn’t put much thought into that.

lol do you have split personality lol? above you said it looks like ass. then say improved over the ps4 remaster.

just saying lmao.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

The trailers all baiting fans of the games with familiar scenes.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 KvallyX

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:

lol do you have split personality lol? above you said it looks like ass. then say improved over the ps4 remaster.

just saying lmao.

It was a joke because the picture I took of Joel had his body and head in the horses ass 🤦‍♂️

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By KvallyX

I took these during a cutscene