Moon Studios CEO - Renting on Game Pass Doesnt Help Moon - Phil Spencer Keeping Ori Off PlayStation

• 66 results
GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39419 Posts

Holy shit how much clearer do you want it? Again, Gamepass is only good for shitty games that the developer themselves know that their game has no chance of being successful (perfect example that we've seen as of late is Exoprimal. Next games that you will see on it is Suicide Squad and Skull and Bones. In other words, sub 5/10 trash tier dogwater titles), games with zero marketing budget while also looking plain jane (if it doesn't look impressive to the eye, being noticed without a good marketing budget is difficult) and MS exclusives, and that's only because Phil is forcing them to be there.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

Do they get a cut from Ori games? I thought they just devved on it strictly. Unless MS offered them a commission of some sort.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen

And i gotta say, thank f*ck MS didn't acquire Moon Studios. Top 5 best indie studios around.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6435 Posts

@ghostofgolden: MS owns the IP that's why it doesn't help Moon it being on GP as all the money goes to MS.

Same as Bloodborne being on PS+ doesn't help Fromsoft because Sony owns the IP.

Critical thinking on your part goes out the window when its about Xbox doesn't it golden.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GhostOfGolden

@last_lap said:

@ghostofgolden: MS owns the IP that's why it doesn't help Moon it being on GP as all the money goes to MS.

Same as Bloodborne being on PS+ doesn't help Fromsoft because Sony owns the IP.

Critical thinking on your part goes out the window when its about Xbox doesn't it golden.

Read your post, and then understand what the CEO of Moon is asking. Then try to come to the same conclusion again.

Talking about my critical thinking? lol

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Last_Lap

@ghostofgolden: Look, I know what you're trying to imply here. Your hate boner for everything Xbox is very clear.

I posted what I did to clarify why they wouldn't make any money from GP because you wouldn't.

Also with the Phil is keeping Ori off PS, well Sony is keeping its games off of Xbox, it's a non issue, but you keep trying mate, you may get there one day lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

And this is why I like buying my games to the right people/developers if its a game that looks fun, I'll gladly buy it. Own Ori games on Steam, that's the best I can do but hopefully my contribution helps Moon studios in the long run.

Game Pass is good and all, but it rarely helps developers getting those diminishing returns but buying games does in fact helps developers at the end of the day.

Edit: Speaking off, I might reinstalled Ori and the Will of the Wisps this weekend. I've been meaning to replay it as it's been 3yrs since I've played it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@ghostofgolden: Look, I know what you're trying to imply here. Your hate boner for everything Xbox is very clear.

I posted what I did to clarify why they wouldn't make any money from GP because you wouldn't.

Also with the Phil is keeping Ori off PS, well Sony is keeping its games off of Xbox, it's a non issue, but you keep trying mate, you may get there one day lol.

He doesn't have a hate boner toward MS. He owns at least 7 X's and like 3 S's. All he does is spreading unadulterated truth, truth almost every single Xbox owner on this forum has trouble accepting. Grow up😎

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: His hate boner is only surpassed by yours lol.

He does a better job at hating on Xbox than 99.9% of cows do, you're the 0.01% that he doesn't beat, but he's getting better and will surpass you soon. Heck we may have to declare him king cow soon.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

He does a better job at hating on Xbox than 99.9% of cows do, you're the 0.01% that he doesn't beat, but he's getting better and will surpass you soon. Heck we may have to declare him king cow soon.

We don't hate anything. Our goal on System Wars is to spread as much truth as humanly possible.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1176 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

We don't hate anything. Our goal on System Wars is to spread as much truth as humanly possible.

Truth for Xbox fandom? Naaah .Check these ones :

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

Lmao

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts
@davillain said:

[...]

Game Pass is good and all, but it rarely helps developers getting those diminishing returns but buying games does in fact helps developers at the end of the day.

[...]

if that's the case, 3rd party devs should stop puttng their games on Game Pass.. that's a simple solution..

yet, we see ever increasing support for Game Pass with 3rd party content.. 🤷‍♂️

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

if that's the case, 3rd party devs should stop puttng their games on Game Pass.. that's a simple solution..

Maybe not all 3rd-party developers are having a hard time recuperating the money if it goes to Game Pass. Some people are better at their jobs than others I guess.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: So you say Moon Studios are a top 5 Indie dev and say GP has nothing but "filler" and yet both Ori games are on there.

So which goal post will you be moving today hmmm 🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: So you say Moon Studios are a top 5 Indie dev and say GP has nothing but "filler" and yet both Ori games are on there.

And this is why me, someone with a superior IQ, needs to show you the path. So here it is, just for you.

Before Ori1 was released, this developer was a nobody. After Ori1 was successful, they had much more eyes on their upcoming product, Ori2, but they were still pretty niche, so a renting service that is GP is needed for them to be successful. Now that they're well known and respected, Welfare checks from MS aren't needed. They're confident in their product, and after seeing the marketing push they had by paying a bunch of popular streamers to stream the trial, they have the budget needed to release a feature complete title while not being bend over by another company. The developer has evolved, and they've used Microsoft to do so. Now that the butterfly is out of its cocoon, they say f*ck MS, and never again will we deal with your renting service.

Now that you got the full story, thank me.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen
@Antwan3K said:
@davillain said:

[...]

[...]

Name me one quality third party title that's there from day one.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Make sense. Gamepass/PS+ higher tiers is great for engagement metrics and introducing players to series but deals tend to be one off and not beneficial for long term revenue of games. No reason for Xbox or Sony to do additional payment for % player download why would u do bad deals like that.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

And this is why me, someone with a superior IQ, needs to show you the path. So here it is, just for you.

Before Ori1 was released, this developer was a nobody. After Ori1 was successful, they had much more eyes on their upcoming product, Ori2, but they were still pretty niche, so a renting service that is GP is needed for them to be successful. Now that they're well known and respected, Welfare checks from MS aren't needed. They're confident in their product, and after seeing the marketing push they had by paying a bunch of popular streamers to stream the trial, they have the budget needed to release a feature complete title while not being bend over by another company. The developer has evolved, and they've used Microsoft to do so. Now that the butterfly is out of its cocoon, they say f*ck MS, and never again will we deal with your renting service.

So that's the false narrative you're going with huh, well...

The Original Ori turned a profit within a week and reports put it at 2 million lifetime sales and released BEFORE Gamepass was a thing.

The second Ori game also sold over 2 million copies and was on Gamepass day 1.

So your fallacy that they need the exposure of Gamepass to establish themselves is BS.

Another wenzen troll busted.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

So that's the false narrative you're going with huh, well...

The Original Ori turned a profit within a week and reports put it at 2 million lifetime sales and released BEFORE Gamepass was a thing.

The second Ori game also sold over 2 million copies and was on Gamepass day 1.

So your fallacy that they need the exposure of Gamepass to establish themselves is BS.

Another wenzen troll busted.

Again, you refuse to accept reality. I can't help you anymore, Aussie.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Translation, I was proven wrong AGAIN by last lap so I'm gonna go.

I accept your defeat.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Antwan3K

@davillain said:
@Antwan3K said:

Maybe not all 3rd-party developers are having a hard time recuperating the money if it goes to Game Pass. Some people are better at their jobs than others I guess.

True..

All I'm saying is that any 3rd party developer who signs a Game Pass deal did so voluntarily.. It was a deal they agreed with..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Translation, I was proven wrong AGAIN by last lap so I'm gonna go.

I accept your defeat.

You don't know how to fight, so defeat against you is not something the humankind has ever witnessed.🤭

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

That ceo is a known pig who worked his employees to the bone with non stop crunch for an year. I believe in hardwork, but let's face it, when he says this doesn't help moon, what he meant to say is that it doesn't help him pad his own wallet and make millions of dollars while he works his serfs for pennies.

Gamepass or bust. F this loser.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: You don't put up much fight, all bark and no bite.

Your defeat was easy and predictable. Show just a smidgen of dignity and walk away, or not, I'm having fun either way 😁

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: You don't put up much fight, all bark and no bite.

Your defeat was easy and predictable. Show just a smidgen of dignity and walk away, or not, I'm having fun either way 😁

You're not having fun. That's why you're always posting that talk to my hand cart gif of yours. You're suffering every time you TRY to argue with me. This is sad, real sad.😥

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: You're so easy to poke fun of.

I mean one mention of you being a fakeboy and boom the I'm not a fakeboy as your sig pops up. It's just too easy.

The best part is that you being played while thinking you're playing others 🤣🤣🤣

PS...I know you hate it when I use that gif because you know I've ended the conversation. Poor wenzen always the fool.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: You're so easy to poke fun of.

I mean one mention of you being a fakeboy and boom the I'm not a fakeboy as your sig pops up. It's just too easy.

The best part is that you being played while thinking you're playing others 🤣🤣🤣

PS...I know you hate it when I use that gif because you know I've ended the conversation. Poor wenzen always the fool.

Its insane to think that you still haven't abandoned the convo with your cart gif. You're very strong today, i am impressed🤭

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Tryharderwenzen 🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Tryharderwenzen 🤣

I bet you want to use that gif so bad right now, but because i cought you in 4k before you were able to post it, now you can't.😅

D e m o l i s h e d

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

@Antwan3K said:
@davillain said:

[...]

[...]

Well it could be your best option for recurperating costs while simultaneously hurting your business. For example, you'll often hear people chirp in forums or comments on how "they'll wait for X to appear on gamepass" or "this game is perfect for gamepass!" so people that maybe used to buy games are just getting a sub, and the only way the dev can get any money eventually is to settle up and put it on gamepass.

The reason why this is terrible though, is it gives multi billion dollar companies a chance to expand margins at the expense of AA and indie developers. Maybe an indie game would have done pretty well in a pre subscription era, but if they have to just take scraps from Sony for a ps plus inclusion or gamepass inclusion, they can end up with less money and MS or Sony can take a larger percentage of gaming spending while not actually making the games.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: try and try as you might I'm running this conversation, tryharder wenzen.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

This is nothing to do with Gamepass. This is the contract THEY agreed to. Using twitter put pressure on the other party in order to change terms is cheap, he should have chosen his terms more carefully back then. Gamepass isn't a single type of agreement, everyone has a different one which suits them.

F**k em for that. No sympathy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: try and try as you might I'm running this conversation, tryharder wenzen.

Don't cover me with your frustrations. Its your problem, keep it🤡

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Oh no, he's bringing out the clown emoji 🤣🤣🤣

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

lol :P

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Antwan3K
@Naylord said:
@Antwan3K said:
@davillain said:

[...]

[...]

Well it could be your best option for recurperating costs while simultaneously hurting your business. For example, you'll often hear people chirp in forums or comments on how "they'll wait for X to appear on gamepass" or "this game is perfect for gamepass!" so people that maybe used to buy games are just getting a sub, and the only way the dev can get any money eventually is to settle up and put it on gamepass.

The reason why this is terrible though, is it gives multi billion dollar companies a chance to expand margins at the expense of AA and indie developers. Maybe an indie game would have done pretty well in a pre subscription era, but if they have to just take scraps from Sony for a ps plus inclusion or gamepass inclusion, they can end up with less money and MS or Sony can take a larger percentage of gaming spending while not actually making the games.

there are AA and indie devs who have nothing but praise for what Game Pass has done for their titles..

subscription services bring an extra focus on games that would have likely fallen through the cracks and (depending on the deal) some developers get the entire production cost of their game paid for..

so, at the end of the day, look at the results.. if 3rd party devs weren't benefiting from Game Pass, 3rd party support for the service would dry up.. its not.. arguably, 3rd party support for Game Pass continues to grow..

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@hardwenzen: How's that green monster on your shoulder? Seems heavy.

If GP didn't work, why did Moon come back for more with a sequel on GP as well?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

You all do realize that the reason No Rest For Thr Wicked is on PS is because Microsoft refused to fund the game after they found out Moon Studios has a workplace environment more toxic then what was going on at ABK... right?

This while tweet snub is about MS cutting Moon's funding? That Moon liked Game Pass while MS was cutting them a check?

You all know that... right?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

Let's add more context...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: How's that green monster on your shoulder? Seems heavy.

If GP didn't work, why did Moon come back for more with a sequel on GP as well?

Because after the first game, they were still very niche AND 2d side scrollers as a genre is pretty niche nowdays🤷‍♂️Because No Rest For The Wicked is aiming at Souls fans, and have a much more pleasing approach to the genre, they don't need the welfare checks from microsoft to succeed.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GhostOfGolden
@Antwan3K said:
@Naylord said:
@Antwan3K said:
@davillain said:

[...]

[...]

there are AA and indie devs who have nothing but praise for what Game Pass has done for their titles..

subscription services bring an extra focus on games that would have likely fallen through the cracks and (depending on the deal) some developers get the entire production cost of their game paid for..

so, at the end of the day, look at the results.. if 3rd party devs weren't benefiting from Game Pass, 3rd party support for the service would dry up.. its not.. arguably, 3rd party support for Game Pass continues to grow..

Loading Video...

2:53:22 - The Game Pass deals are drying up. Devs that have been a part of the program are being offered substantially less money now. But it’s “growing” says Antwan 🙄

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GhostOfGolden

@kvallyx: The context basically breaks down to “let me sell my games everywhere.” And that makes sense. The game being part of a stalled subscription service where they a) can’t renegotiate a deal for their game and b) the guy with the numbers tells you the sales of the game aren’t increasing because of Game Pass, does Moon studios no favors.

The guy isn’t into the fanboy console war nonsense. He just wants his studio to be compensated for their game the way he feels it deserves. And more folks playing it on Game Pass doesn’t help. He wants more people to BUY the game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

wow geat find from Jeff G. This is really damaging to our local lemmings.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

@dabear: yep moon studios is crazy toxic. I heard tons about how they crunch from start to end. Their ceo is a moron too...playing the victim on Twitter. What a bum. And probably worse than kotick. If this bum could get a MS paycheque and leave town, he would in a heart beat.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KvallyX

@ghostofgolden said:

@kvallyx: The context basically breaks down to “let me sell my games everywhere.” And that makes sense. The game being part of a stalled subscription service where they a) can’t renegotiate a deal for their game and b) the guy with the numbers tells you the sales of the game aren’t increasing because of Game Pass, does Moon studios no favors.

The guy isn’t into the fanboy console war nonsense. He just wants his studio to be compensated for their game the way he feels it deserves. And more folks playing it on Game Pass doesn’t help. He wants more people to BUY the game.

He also mentions that he is also happy when people buy the game on the Xbox Store, which was conveniently left out.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Antwan3K
@ghostofgolden said:
[...]
Loading Video...

2:53:22 - The Game Pass deals are drying up. Devs that have been a part of the program are being offered substantially less money now. But it’s “growing” says Antwan 🙄

cool, story bro..

let me know when the "drying up" actually starts because 3rd party games are continually being announced for the service.. 🙄

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#49 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

But Nintendo gets Ori fine! Did Phil forget that half of the namesake that inspired Metroidvania (*wretches*) STARTED on PlayStation?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KvallyX

@Antwan3K said:
@ghostofgolden said:
[...]
Loading Video...

cool, story bro..

let me know when the "drying up" actually starts because 3rd party games are continually being announced for the service.. 🙄

And 3rd party devs continue to praise Game Pass. Even Sony is nervous about Game Pass.