Nintendo files lawsuit over 1 million pirated copies of Tears of the Kingdom UPDATE: Yuzu agrees to pay, end service

• 84 results
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

Obligatory "I am not a lawyer".

It will be interesting to watch but, as is already pretty well established, Emulators themselves are not illegal. Yuzu don't distribute the key needed to actually break the copy protection as I understand it. You need a separate key, either from your own Switch or....ahem.

They also don't distribute the games themselves. As for the talk....it's just that. Talk. Talking about games piracy is not against the law in the same way that talking about stealing something is not against the law.

They seem to be approaching it from a DMCA Copy protection breach angle though....that could have some weight. However lockpicks are not illegal sooo......

In saying that I doubt this will get to trial. Chances are the project is going to scatter as they wont be able to raise the money needed to cover the legal costs of a defence. Chances are it will raise again under a different name instead (and maybe next time be a bit smarter about what they put on their site and discord).

Where do I stand on this? Kinda in the middle.

I think people should pay for their games. Anyone who played, say, TOTK on the PC (and especially if they enjoyed it) should still buy a copy...even if they have no intention of playing it on the Switch.

However do I think Nintendo (or any publisher) should have the right to outright dictate where you can play it? No....they can get F*&^%d. I don't expect them to support it on anything outside their official platform of course, but to make playing it on anything but an official platform a criminal offence? That's complete nonsense. Anyone who supports such an idea is really in corporate simp territory.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#52 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

@girlusocrazy: How long has the NES been around exactly? Pretty sure official support for it DIED as soon as the SNES came out, at least in the US and EU.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1142 Posts

@nintendoboy16: If you mean when Nintendo stopped services for the NES, it was in 2007. I do know that people are still releasing NES games, and Nintendo is using NES games to sell their online subscription as well as peripherals for the Switch. Third parties are also selling their NES games. It's very cool. Nintendo even sold the NES Classic recently.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By nintendoboy16

Richard Hoeg has his take on this:

Loading Video...

The Verge has a shortened version of his take here.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

Such a waste of resources. Would they be able to shut Yuzu down, people would just use Ryujinx. Would they shut that down too, people would make another way to play Switch games outside Nintendo hardware. The ****'s the point? Nintendo should try to make people want to play their games on their hardware instead.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45326 Posts

@BassMan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:

... or Nintendo can just release their games on PC and profit directly from PC gamers who have no interest in owning shit Switch hardware and just want their games.

Pirates are pirates, doubt that would solve it

I don't agree with that. When PC gamers are not being presented with an option to buy the game and run it natively on PC, you can't blame people for seeking alternative ways of playing it on PC. Sure, there are pirates that will pirate regardless, but I think those are a small percentage. When people are presented with a reasonable option that they can afford and is convenient for them, they are most likely going to go down that path. Nintendo complaining without giving people the option is just dumb. A good company tailors their products for their customers and doesn't try to force them to do things they don't want to do, like wasting money on shit proprietary hardware that doesn't even run games at an acceptable standard.

They pirated the game before it came out, of course they don’t care!

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7224 Posts
@Litchie said:

Such a waste of resources. Would they be able to shut Yuzu down, people would just use Ryujinx. Would they shut that down too, people would make another way to play Switch games outside Nintendo hardware. The ****'s the point? Nintendo should try to make people want to play their games on their hardware instead.

They going after them Clowns Ryujinx next after they win. Ryujinx promoted being able to run TotK before it released. Nintendo will bleed these Clowns dry, these clowns are just scum of the earth who feed on the copyrighted art of creators. They belong in hell for eternity.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Interesting, did not know of this company.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#59  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@Litchie said:

They going after them Clowns Ryujinx next after they win. Ryujinx promoted being able to run TotK before it released. Nintendo will bleed these Clowns dry, these clowns are just scum of the earth who feed on the copyrighted art of creators. They belong in hell for eternity.

They can't do anything to stop emulation.😂

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#60  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

If it weren't for the millions of pirated copies, Zelda TOTK could've beaten Hogwarts Legacy as the year's best-selling game... No wonder Nintendo is so mad at pirates.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46489 Posts

@Jag85 said:

If it weren't for the millions of pirated copies, Nintendo could've beaten Hogwarts Legacy as the year's best-selling game... No wonder Nintendo is so mad at pirates.

How's Nintendo gonna turn $0 spent into $60 spent? Magic?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I am normally 100% against piracy as I truly believe in supporting the industry (I have even double dipped into so many Sony games and other games in general by double dipping on PC)

But.. Nintendo is a shitty company that refuses to live in the 21st century. I'm never going to buy their archaic console and have no interest in playing TOTK in 720p at 15 fps.

They deserve every single pirated copy.

I'll play it in 4K/120 on PC, thanks Nintendo. I'll happily send you guys the $70 bill.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SolidGame_basic  Online

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SolidGame_basic  Online
@Mozelleple112 said:

I am normally 100% against piracy as I truly believe in supporting the industry (I have even double dipped into so many Sony games and other games in general by double dipping on PC)

But.. Nintendo is a shitty company that refuses to live in the 21st century. I'm never going to buy their archaic console and have no interest in playing TOTK in 720p at 15 fps.

I'll play it in 4K/120 on PC, thanks Nintendo. I'll happily send you guys the $70 bill.

I don’t know about you, but I like to get paid for my work LOL

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#65 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

I don’t know about you, but I like to get paid for my work LOL

The fact is that they have gotten paid for their work.😮

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

@hardwenzen: lol, and this is the one thing we agree on. How sloppy can Nintendo be to make such shitty hardware that it's so easily emulated. And the funny thing is, Nintendo is going with the same arm Nvidia cpu for switch 2, instead of going for the AMD cpu like everyone else. And I heard AMD went super hard and tried giving them amazing deals to get Nintendo to switch over.

But honestly Nintendo loves to milk people with their garbage hardware, and they deserve to be emulated.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#67 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59189 Posts

That poor multi-billionaire company who raised the price of the game because they could get away with.

Hopefully de no cry.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Mozelleple112

@SolidGame_basic:

It 100% serves Nintendo right for gatekeeping their games on dogshit hardware.

Just release it on PC and I'll pay them $70. I could even throw in an extra $30 for the inconvenience.

$100 for something I technically could get for free. Sounds fair to me.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nintendoboy16

@Mozelleple112: I doubt you would buy them on PC period.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mozelleple112

@nintendoboy16: Why's that?

I have over 300 PS4/PS5 games, and since getting my 4090 fueled monster last spring I have bought multiple games on PC that I either own on PS5, or have since been handed out for free on PS+ (which I still pay for even though I haven't used my PS5 since June last year).

The most recent example of this I can think of Shadow of the Tomb Raider (free on PS5, bought on PC) and Callisto Protocol (Free for PS5, still bought it on PC because I want the vastly superior PC version in 4K/100fps.)

Why wouldn't I buy Zelda:TOTK if Nintendo released it on Steam, Nintendoboy16?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

@Mozelleple112: just curious, but what is your low bar standard for dog shit hardware? The 4090 makes everything look crap in comparison, and sony also gatekeeps their games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 nintendoboy16

@Mozelleple112: You in particular have a notorious anti-Nintendo record, for one. Downplay even when they do well.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Mozelleple112

@blaznwiipspman1: it really does lol. but at least Sony has as modern of a console as you can get, especially considering the €400 price tag.

Nintendo is 2 generations behind them still.

And the 4090 is basically PS5 graphics (30 fps) but in 120 fps with either higher resolution, more RT or other effects. The latter two I don't really mind.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Mozelleple112

@nintendoboy16:

Yeah Nintendo certainly has a lot of overrated rubbish that I am surprised anyone grown man in 2024 enjoys.

but BOTW was great (own it on PC in 4K/120, which looked and felt amazing to play) and I wouldn't mind getting TOTK either.

Metroid Dread and Bayonetta 3 also somewhat interesting. There's many Nintendo games I'd buy on PC.

My bar for buying games is incredibly low. I had a discussion in another thread where a couple of users (my friend Ragnarok was one of them) commented on how it was weird I could have 50 hours in a game I didn't particularly enjoy.

I'd probably buy those Mario games, play them and wonder how a game with 1980s gameplay gets 9/10 scores.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By nintendoboy16
@Mozelleple112 said:

@nintendoboy16:

Yeah Nintendo certainly has a lot of overrated rubbish that I am surprised anyone grown man in 2024 enjoys.

So, you only want Nintendo games on PC for brownie points and nothing else? Just like any other port beggar.

Again, might as well give Nintendo a Beretta 92 and call it Russian Roulette.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Mesome713

@Pedro said:
@mesome713 said:
@Litchie said:

Nintendo isn't trying to stop emulation. Dem boys laying the smack down on filthy pirates.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@Pedro said:
@mesome713 said:
@Litchie said:

Nintendo isn't trying to stop emulation. Dem boys laying the smack down on filthy pirates.

But they're going after people who make emulators. :-S

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Litchie

Would be fun to know Nintendo's success ratio with battling piracy. How much has it cost them, and how much piracy have they stopped?

My guess:
It has cost Nintendo a shitload of money. They have stopped nothing.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Mesome713

@Litchie: Nintendo has made an insane amount of money suing these clowns. They made just one leaker pay them 10 million dollars. And they own 30% of his income for the rest of his life 😂

The next clown will think twice to act like they own the creators content.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Litchie

@mesome713 said:

@Litchie: Nintendo has made an insane amount of money suing these clowns. They made just one leaker pay them 10 million dollars. And they own 30% of his income for the rest of his life 😂

The next clown will think twice to act like they own the creators content.

Without numbers and coming from you, that means nothing. Unless you know how much Nintendo have spent on chasing pirates, why even speak?

10 million? I assume you talk about Gary Bowser. He doesn't have 10 million, lol. And again, how much have Nintendo spent on this shit?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Mesome713

@Litchie: He has an income, and Nintendo takes 30% of his income every month. Slapping these low life scums for the rest of their life is priceless. Nintendo will make a lot of money of Yuzu too. They’ll sue them for 100 million at the minimum. 10 million is enough to pay for Nintendo lawyers for life.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SolidGame_basic  Online

Wow

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2471 Posts

Ryujinx is still up and can't be targeted by Nintendo because they don't paywall certain builds on Patreon.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Ryujinx next

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Mesome713

What a shady and corrupt company. No wonder they didn't want to fight Nintendo, Nintendo would have cleaned their clock.