Nintendo News: Switch 141.3m units, new Direct in June, and Switch 2 to be announced this year!

• 71 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45324 Posts

Nice, the end is finally near for Switch lol. Wonder if the Switch will get a big game before the end of the year.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A GAMECUBE!!!

almijack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By almijack
Member since 2024 • 2 Posts

Nintendo plans to announce the successor to the Nintendo Switch by March 2025, marking over nine years since the initial announcement of the Switch's existence. However, this announcement won't be made during the upcoming June Nintendo Direct.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I must admit I didn't see the switch succeeding after the reveal how wrong I was.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

lol :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17852 Posts

Good to keep expectations in check on Announcement dates at least. Man the switch still keeps on trucking. A bit like the PS2, I suspect Nintendo will continue to produce the switch for quite a while after the 2 releases. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few games are also cross gen for the next few years.

Also great to see Pikmin 4 trucking along. Almost 4 million for Pikmin is great. Also a great game and very much recommended.

As for the Switch 2:

The facts:

1. Nintendo is the designer of the Switch 2.
  2. ......I got nothin.

Wild speculation:

1. It's probably a hybrid like the Switch. More than likely is.
  2. It will probably be similar to the Steam Deck in raster but with around 2X the RT performance (still not great) and with access to the best upscaler in the business in the form of DLSS. It could end up putting out a nicer image than the Xbox series S on 4K tellys despite being less powerful.
  3. It's probably using the T239, or a slight variant of it. I suspect the CPU core count will be 8 instead of 12 and the shader count will be closer to 1500 instead of 2000 (just saw an old DF article and I think they are on the money there). This will improve yields
  4. Overall power management strategy will be similar to the switch:
    1. CPU clocks will be the same regardless of docked or portable. Like the switch, I think they will be quite below what the CPU is actually capable of.
    2. In portable mode I suspect Nintendo are going to completely bottom out the GPU in terms of clocks to save the battery. It will be to a point where going any lower makes no difference to power draw.
    3. Following from ^^^^: I think it will be a 720P Screen: Again, reduces the workload and helps with battery life.
  5. 6GB of ram with 1GB reserved for the OS. Hopefully they do splash out a bit and get the fastest portable ram they can get their mitts on. It can always be downclocked for portable mode but memory bandwidth was the biggest bottleneck for many games on the Switch. I'd prefer to see 6GB of faster ram instead of 8GB of slower ram.

Hopes:

1. Better build quality. Especially with the new Joycons. Ideally Hall effect sticks will be standard but that's probably a fools hope.
  2. 3D screen. I was just playing my 3DS a bit over the weekend and, yknow what? I'm going to say it: i miss 3D. For portable devices especially: it's great.
  3. A surprise. Something that sets it apart more from the switch 1. I'll be a bit disappointed if it really is just a switch 2.0.
  4. Metroid Prime 4 is a launch title.
  5. Robust BC where it not only plays Switch games but also improves them where possible. Plays them at higher resolutions etc.
  6. I hope Nintendo can find some other interesting uses for the tensor cores in the GPU. DLSS is cool n all, but what else could they be used for in a game?
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@SecretPolice said:

Aren't you excited to buy all your favourite games all over again?

Only for Nintendo to eventually close their store/servers and losing all access to them?

Again?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Not really excited for Nintendo's next-gen console nor do I care about rumors as they never pay off. Until Nintendo announced whatever comes next, I'll remain less excited.

Just to be clear, do not set your expectations high, keep'em in check.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Only for Nintendo to eventually close their store/servers and losing all access to them?

Again?

Don't forget to pick up some indies for double the price! Also extra controllers, they'll only last a couple months.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Again?

Don't forget to pick up some indies for double the price! Also extra controllers, they'll only last a couple months.

Remember the Wavebird? Well forget about it, we have these new controllers with built in batteries that will die after 2 years for $70

Throw it on the garbage pile!

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7223 Posts

A new console that plays Nintendo games. Sold.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 62 million copies. That should be the headline. 9 titles over 20 million. These would be wildly successful numbers for 3rd party multiplatform titles. Whew…

But Nintendo is behind the times and needs to adopt the multiplatform/subscription service model 😂🤣😂🤣😂

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

I have contributed to those numbers for Nintendo at least twice during its life cycle. LOL, but sadly true. Nintendo doesn't have any games on their systems anymore that make it worth buying their consoles, personally. Unless they make a good Pokémon game that has any replay value, my money will remain with me. Or at least an MMORPG Pokémon game. As it stands, I'll be playing retro Pokemon.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39411 Posts

Simply put, the Switch isn't made for gaming, and it has sold over 140M. Milking nostalgic millennials must be so incredibly easy.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

Nintendo DOMINATED gen 9. HOLY CRAP.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: What about all those record breaking game sales? 67+ games have sold over 1 million copies.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: What about all those record breaking game sales? 67+ games have sold over 1 million copies.

When you funnel your whole non gamer playerbase into one or two titles a year because there's literally zero third party support, this happens🤢

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2953 Posts

The new Switch 2 hardware will be so mega powerful that it will easily outmatch PlayStation... The PS2 that is...

My bad jokes aside, I am already pretty convinced that the Switch 2 will be another hit for Nintendo. That mighty powah on PS5, Xsex and PC isn't everything. 140+ million gamers have spoken.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: 67+ games is a lot more than 1-2 games a year.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: 67+ games is a lot more than 1-2 games a year.

Way more than half of it is shovelware that people buy simply because it says Mario on the box.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: At least they get a cool and fun game to play unlike the 1-2 games a year that release on PS5 that basically play themselves. And it gets worst, Sony is working on a feature where you can put the controller down and AI will play the game for you.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

The power of Nintendo first party is insane 60+ million mk 8 copies sold a Wii u game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Those are some incredibly impressive numbers indeed. Nintendo hit a grand slam home run with the Switch. Can’t wait for the Switch 2.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GhostOfGolden

Just in case some of y’all are doubting or having trouble comprehending what Nintendo has done

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts
@ghostofgolden said:

But Nintendo is behind the times and needs to adopt the multiplatform/subscription service model 😂🤣😂🤣😂

With everything going on the last few years, I'm pretty convinced Nintendo is the only game company that has their shit together right now (I suppose Capcom too). If anything, the whole industry should come to a truce and target gen 7 visuals, but with higher resolution and better lighting. Would go a long way to help most of our current problems.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1140 Posts

Congrats to Nintendo, looking forward to seeing what they do with Switch 2

I hope the hardware holds up the entire life cycle for games, games are released day and date with other platforms, the bottom face button is to Confirm and the right face button is to Cancel, and that the entire game is on the cart.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 judaspete

@ghostofgolden said:

Just in case some of y’all are doubting or having trouble comprehending what Nintendo has done

Seriously, that is nuts. And they didn't even have to shut studios and lay off thousands to get there. Weird.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mesome713

@judaspete: I know right, Nintendo out here hiring people and increasing everyone pay by 10%.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

81% of Nintendo's software sales came from first-party in the last fiscal year

that's pretty nutty and with those software sales, that's also pretty damn good money

Monikhan867

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Monikhan867
Member since 2024 • 1 Posts

Exciting news for Nintendo fans! The Nintendo Switch continues its remarkable success, with sales reaching a staggering 141.3 million units. This milestone underscores the enduring popularity and appeal of Nintendo's innovative gaming console.

But that's not all—rumors abound of a new Nintendo Direct presentation slated for June. These Direct showcases are always eagerly anticipated, offering a glimpse into upcoming games, updates, and announcements that ignite the imaginations of players worldwide using Jazz Balance Share Code.

And perhaps most thrilling of all, whispers in the gaming community suggest that Nintendo may be gearing up to unveil the highly anticipated Switch 2 later this year. With speculation swirling and anticipation building, fans eagerly await confirmation and details about this potential successor to the beloved Switch.

Stay tuned for more updates as the Nintendo saga continues to unfold, promising new adventures, experiences, and innovations for gamers of all ages.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GhostOfGolden

@howmakewood said:

81% of Nintendo's software sales came from first-party in the last fiscal year

that's pretty nutty and with those software sales, that's also pretty damn good money

This way they keep 100% of the revenue vs the 30% the competition keeps with their 3rd party/multiplat heavy strategy.

Again, Nintendo is doing things the right way.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1261 Posts

@judaspete:

I think it would be a good idea for more of the big publishers to develop games primarily for the Switch and then port them to the stronger systems with better resolution and FPS. Basically the Monster Hunter Rise approach.

Smaller budget, less risk and hopefully more games.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 judaspete

@my_user_name: This idea makes so much damn sense, that the fact no one will do it is severely frustrating.

Maybe if developers can sell it as Switch 2/Steam Deck focused, they will convince some publishers to go along. Wenzen would shit a brick 😆

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

@judaspete: @my_user_name: If 81% of Nintendo's software revenue comes from Nintendo games, why would third party devs prioritize the Switch?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 judaspete

@Pedro: Unlike the last few Nintendo consoles, third party actually sells well on Switch. But the point is, Switch would give developers an excuse to spend less of their budget just on graphics. Then they could port the game to the other consoles with higher resolution and frame rates, maybe even ray tracing.

Ideally this would lead to shorter development cycles, fewer studio closures, and a wider variety of games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hardwenzen
@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: At least they get a cool and fun game to play unlike the 1-2 games a year that release on PS5 that basically play themselves. And it gets worst, Sony is working on a feature where you can put the controller down and AI will play the game for you.

Eve's ass has more pixels than every 2024 switch titles combined. The standards of your system are so incredibly behind that you should be comparing your system to a phone, not a real console.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22400 Posts

Sounds good, bring it on!!

Hopefully we get some decent games to close out the Switch's life.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic  Online

Welp, I guess it’ll be called Switch 2 lol

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

When Switch first released, I was predicting it would surpass 100M when most were predicting it wouldn't even hit 50M... Yet even I didn't think it would come close to 140M. It's almost closing-in on the PS2.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6435 Posts

141 million pieces of overpriced junk sold, 61 million copies of a remaster, just proves there's a sucker born every minute.

Each generation of gamers keeps on getting dumber and dumber 🤦‍♂️

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GhostOfGolden

@SolidGame_basic said:

It’s incredibly important that they nail the naming of the system. A repeat of the Wii/WiiU or even the issues Xbox has had with Xbox One S/X Xbox Series X/S, needs to be avoided at all costs. Consumers aren’t always the brightest. “Super Switch” probably wouldn’t even get it done. Switch 2 might be the only way to get across that this thing is NEW and the successor to the incredibly popular Switch system.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic  Online

@ghostofgolden said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

It’s incredibly important that they nail the naming of the system. A repeat of the Wii/WiiU or even the issues Xbox has had with Xbox One S/X Xbox Series X/S, needs to be avoided at all costs. Consumers aren’t always the brightest. “Super Switch” probably wouldn’t even get it done. Switch 2 might be the only way to get across that this thing is NEW and the successor to the incredibly popular Switch system.

You’re right, it needs to be Switch 2 haha

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

@last_lap said:

141 million pieces of overpriced junk sold, 61 million copies of a remaster, just proves there's a sucker born every minute.

You're forgetting the Wii U sold 13 millions consoles WW. So many people missed out on a lot of Wii U games so it makes sense to re-lease some Wii U games to the Switch, like MK 8.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6435 Posts

@p3anut: I'm not forgetting anything, t's a stupid karting game with the most whored out character in gaming. They didn't miss much.

And if the game is so great that it sold 60 million copies why didn't people buy a Wii U for it then?

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1261 Posts

@judaspete said:

@Pedro: But the point is, Switch would give developers an excuse to spend less of their budget just on graphics. Then they could port the game to the other consoles with higher resolution and frame rates, maybe even ray tracing.

Ideally this would lead to shorter development cycles, fewer studio closures, and a wider variety of games.

Yep exactly this.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1904 Posts

@last_lap said:

@p3anut: I'm not forgetting anything, t's a stupid karting game with the most whored out character in gaming. They didn't miss much.

And if the game is so great that it sold 60 million copies why didn't people buy a Wii U for it then?

Because of the 3DS. The 3DS had Mario Kart on it. The Wii U and the 3DS combined for 89.5 million units. Mario Kart on both sold for a combined for 27.45 million units. Most of that was from the 3DS.

No one talks about it, but the 3DS is partially responsible for the Wii U's failure. The Wii U and 3DS shared the same games, but the 3DS was a lot cheaper. If you want Mario Kart, which system are you going to buy? The one that's $299.99 or the one that's $169.99. Take in mind, the cheaper system ironically has more third party support. Really, the only advantage for the Wii U is a few more exclusives from Nintendo and graphics. And most Nintendo fans don't GAF about graphics (these guys literally played on the DS Lite when the Xbox 360 was out). So unless you're a hardcore Nintendo fan (so you wanted EVERY Nintendo exclusive), or you're the rare Nintendo fan that's a graphic whore, you'd likely buy the 3DS over the Wii U.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Can't wait

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

@last_lap said:

It is this type of elitist thinking is a reason why hardcore gamers get a bad reputation.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

@last_lap said:

This type of thought is disconcerting, personally. Most people seem to have the idea that if anyone enjoys something that they don't, somehow everyone else is the moron. There are so many factors to take into consideration, such as kids never having played any Nintendo game from times past. Many people also enjoy playing retro games, or remakes to their beloved franchises. I see nothing wrong with this. It effects me not, and more power to those who find enjoyment out of it.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

@davillain said:

Not really excited for Nintendo's next-gen console nor do I care about rumors as they never pay off. Until Nintendo announced whatever comes next, I'll remain less excited.

Just to be clear, do not set your expectations high, keep'em in check.

For most part, I agree.