uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59185 Posts

Good news, Marathon, a game from the highly overrated Halo developers, or came from it or whatever, is now Overwatch, which itself is just an expensive boring Team Fortress 2.

Also bunch of idiots fired, working at Mcdonald's now where they belong.

Will this be as big a hit as Quake: Champions?

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-shakes-up-marathon-leadership-removes-chris-barrett-as-game-director

NEW: Marathon's creative direction has reportedly shifted under Ziegler's leadership, "moving away from custom player characters in favor of a selectable cast of heroes."

---------------------

Bungie Replaces Marathon Director Amid Leadership Shakeup, Fears of Layoffs

Former Valorant game director Joe Ziegler is replacing Christopher Barrett.

Amid ongoing anxiety within Bungie following layoffs last year, the studio is now preparing for another shakeup, this time on Marathon — its upcoming service game intended as its next step beyond Destiny.

According to multiple sources familiar with the matter, Bungie is in the midst of shifting around its creative leadership on Marathon, including removing long-time Bungie designer Christopher Barrett from the game director role. IGN learned he is being replaced by former Valorant game director Joe Ziegler, who left Riot Games for Bungie in 2022.

IGN has reached out to Bungie for comment on whether or not Barrett will remain with the company. Bungie has not yet responded to IGN's request for comment, but shortly after we reached out, Ziegler confirmed his appointment as game director on X/Twitter.

"For the last 9 Months I’ve been working on Marathon as the game director," he wrote. "We’re still baking, but I’m excited to share with you more info on the game as we get closer and closer to bringing it to all of you."

Marathon Over Matter

While upcoming Destiny 2 expansion The Final Shape is also being prioritized, there are growing fears and rumors that layoffs will immediately follow its release. One person with knowledge of budgets at Bungie told me that "nothing adds up" and "something will need to happen to curb costs unless The Final Shape does so well to cover the gap and people can move to Marathon."

When Sony acquired Bungie, the studio brought with it a number of other incubation projects, including a MOBA-like game codenamed Gummy Bears and a new IP known as Matter. According to sources, Matter was canceled back in 2020, but the team continued working on a similar project with slightly different direction until that too was canceled in late 2022. Gummy Bears, meanwhile, is currently in a holding pattern due to the ongoing company struggles.

Within the company, there is a growing expectation that senior company leadership will leave in droves in the summer of 2026 when the final payouts from Sony's acquisition of the company take effect. With this in mind, there is a strong push to get Marathon out the door before then, and let whoever takes the reins after that (be it Sony or Bungie) worry about how it's sustained.

A Marathon, and a Sprint

Bungie has found itself rocked by a number of major shake-ups in recent years that have tanked morale at the Destiny studio and left its future uncertain. Sony officially acquired the studio mid-2022, with the promise it would largely retain a semblance of freedom as an independent subsidiary. While sources say that's largely remained true, Bungie has struggled to meet key financial targets, Destiny 2 significantly underperformed last year.

In October, Bungie laid off roughly 100 of its then-1,200 employees amid greater cost-cutting measures that saw Marathon delayed to 2025 and employee benefits slashed, further damaging the mood internally. Notably, multiple sources at the time and since have shared that Sony has largely left the studio to sort out its own troubles and was not responsible for the layoffs, with CEO Pete Parsons taking responsibility.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46489 Posts

Too many talent is being wasted on lacklustre live service games right now.

We wished they would learn their lesson after Anthem

We wished they would learn their lesson after Suicide Squad

We were wrong.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46489 Posts

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2398450/Classic_Marathon/

Classic Marathon is free on Steam btw. Well worth checking out.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14500 Posts

I’m down

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39410 Posts

Removing custom characters for an extraction game?😆I really hope the game is a massive disaster that gets trolled into oblivion on the socials. This shitty company has been milking gamers and being ultra greedy with D2, and they deserve to get deleted by Sony. When they invited Tarkov players to try the game, and all of them said the game was shit and shallow, i hope this is the end product, but now with Overwatch characters lmao.

Bungie better be absorbed by Sony within 2025. Their $20 skins bullshit must stop.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

After watching Mandalore's videos on the original Marathon trilogy, I now wish this franchise stay dead instead of becoming... ...whatever this is.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

After watching Mandalore's videos on the original Marathon trilogy, I now wish this franchise stay dead instead of becoming... ...whatever this is.

Speaking of...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39410 Posts

I don't know how to say this, and i know for a fact its not healthy, but i hate a massive hate boner for Bungie (the current greedy af Bungie that is). They're in the Ubisoft territory.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

3.7 billion for the win.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

Yeah, people are too stupid to pick their own loadouts and stuff. Thanks Bungie.

Not sure who needs an extraction game that isn't Hunt: Showdown. Just play the best one already, **** these clownskin shooters. Especially if it comes from Bungie, one of the worst devs in the world.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2085 Posts

Honestly think Bungie has lost a lot of heart, regardless of what you think about their Halo titles or Destiny1/2 if you've actually played them you know the moment to moment gameplay was crafted by people genuinely passionate about games. As time has gone on Destiny in its' latest iteration has declined, not just from a content perspective but Bungie fell into this hole of seasonal focus which in many ways determines the manner in which people play not just what people are playing which is fine for a couple rotations but quickly loses its' novelty and then leaves you feeling hamstrung if you stray outside that seasonal focus, now Bungie have done great things delivered decent experiences etc. over the years but with the last expansion and numerous layoffs including some very key people they really do seem to be missing the mark. The reports around Marathons shift in direction indicate this is unlikely to change.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Bungie needs to make a new singleplayer game. Hell, give us Oni 2.