SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45326 Posts

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2024/03/11/ps2-games-ps-plus-premium-sony-emulation-partnership/

Emulation company Implicit Conversions is apparently working with Sony to bring PS2 games to PS Plus Premium. Implicit Conversions was co-founded by former Ubisoft and Sony employees, the latter of whom also worked on PS2 emulator PCSX2 before joining the PlayStation maker.

New PS2 games among top demands by PS Plus subscribers

Implicit Conversions’ case is a curious one. The studio’s work on PS2 games was thrust into the limelight over the weekend following an interview with TimeExtension. The website has since retracted the statement regarding Implicit bringing PS2 games to PS5, calling it a “mistake” and issuing an apology. However, Redditors have found Implicit’s official LinkedIn page, in which the company explicity stated that it’s “working with Sony Interactive Entertainment / PlayStation to bring PS1, PS2, and PSP games to the PS4 and PS5.”

It’s unclear why TimeExtension edited its feature. Interestingly, the aforementioned section has also been amended on Implicit’s LinkedIn page, which now has a more generic statement claiming that it’s “working with clients to bring NES, PS1, PSP, and PS2 games to the PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox.”

Whatever the case, PS Plus subscribers are hoping to see new PS2 games on the service — a recurring demand since the revamp.

Thoughts, SW? Would this be a compelling feature of the service for you? It would be cool if they can bring games like Viewtiful Joe and God Hand onboard.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

So Sony can't emulate the PS2?😂 To make matters worse they don't even want you to be able to buy the game. 🤭

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44361 Posts

Hopefully they make it so the games are able to be purchased on their own as I don’t want them locked into a service. Have bought a number of PS1 games already and would definitely like to get some PS2 ones as well. Not going to subscribe to a higher tier service in order to play them though.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

Yeah should have started figuring this shit out like 10 years ago Sony lol...

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

Let me guess. 20 bucks a pop.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6435 Posts

And the price of PS+ will go up, but that's ok because cows love it when Sony raises its prices.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

Will they make people's digital entitlements from PS3 days when they had PS1/PS2 classics available again? And bring that old catalog over? That'd be awesome, but also a bit rage inducing like "what took them soooooo fucking long!"

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1262 Posts

Ps2 games should just run on the ps4/ ps5 but ofcouse they don't b/c Sony is scum.

That being said ....if they were to release a handheld and I could take PS2 games on the go ... then I might consider subscribing ( intermittently)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46489 Posts

Nice to hear that sony needs help emulating PS2, I set it up in five minutes on Retroid Pocket:

Finished Killzone, going through Manhunt 2 at the moment and next up will be Star Wars Force Unleashed.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

lol :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

@Pedro said:

So Sony can't emulate the PS2?😂 To make matters worse they don't even want you to be able to buy the game. 🤭

Machines (PS2 and 3) so powerful not even their own creators can tame them...

....Or just so badly designed that Sony don't want to relive the trauma of working on that hardware. :P. The poor programmers at Guerilla and Naughty Dog...

Anywho hopefully there is also an option to buy. It would also be very nice if, as mentioned above, they also carried over previous purchases on the PS Store. A great way to boost confidence in spending money on the PS Store.

...Could this also be a prelude to Sony setting up a PS Store on the PC too. Or maybe they plan to make PSN+ available on the PC too. Launch with the full catalogue of PS1, 2, 3, PSP and Vita along with the existing and future ported PS4 and 5 games. Could be tempting for some.

Interesting one if true though.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9582 Posts

I don't really care unless we get a few handfuls of games with online functionality. I've been hearing a out this since the PS3 so I'll believe it when I see it. Either way if it means that it could possibly revitalize SOCOM then I'm excited for it, but that would still likely be years out at this point.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

I still have my PS2 with a free mcboot memory card and OPL hooked up to a CRT via component. No need for any emulation. Newer dualshocks don't even have pressure sensitive buttons and lots of ps2 games used that to cool effect. It's great for toggling map size in Ace Combat 4. Intuitively zooming out with pressure beats just tapping repeatedly to cycle through map sizes.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1142 Posts

I am not interested in a service, but it is nice for some. If they make the emulation available for PSN purchases of PS2 games and to support original discs then that will be interesting to me.

@Naylord: Yeah that is an issue, but maybe they will let you use PS3 controllers or a PS2 USB adapter.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7247 Posts

sony just give me a warhawk remake. all I ask.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

The thing is, it sounds exciting and a big deal because people have been chasing it for a long time. But I think only going to appeal to a few people. Back in the 7th gen was when this should have been done, but now it's kind of too late.

I love retro gaming, but I can't get into PS2 gaming. The PS2 was primitive, even for the gen. I have no problem with any 5th gen consoles and I'll play Xbox and GC games, but I just can't with PS2 games.

For some reason even the games were slow. Go back and play WIpeout or GT4 or whatever. They're really slow for some reason. And this will impact a lot of gameplay in general.

Unless you grew up playing PS2 games, I think anyone else will struggle to get into it.

And because the graphics were foggy/blurry like they were on the N64, it's difficult to upscale and improve visually using devices like the mClassic, because the image isn't clean enough to improve.

The only interest will be a handful of the big games and genres of the day. RPGs will probably do well.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

The thing is, it sounds exciting and a big deal because people have been chasing it for a long time. But I think only going to appeal to a few people. Back in the 7th gen was when this should have been done, but now it's kind of too late.

I love retro gaming, but I can't get into PS2 gaming. The PS2 was primitive, even for the gen. I have no problem with any 5th gen consoles and I'll play Xbox and GC games, but I just can't with PS2 games.

For some reason even the games were slow. Go back and play WIpeout or GT4 or whatever. They're really slow for some reason. And this will impact a lot of gameplay in general.

Unless you grew up playing PS2 games, I think anyone else will struggle to get into it.

And because the graphics were foggy/blurry like they were on the N64, it's difficult to upscale and improve visually using devices like the mClassic, because the image isn't clean enough to improve.

The only interest will be a handful of the big games and genres of the day. RPGs will probably do well.

Can u stomach PS1 games?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@sakaixx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Can u stomach PS1 games?

As a retro gamer, I'm quite into the 5th gen, because there's more fascination there for me. Especially the Sega Saturn which I never got to experience much. Also, for me it was one of the most exciting gens. After that my excitement for new consoles gradually went lower and lower. Now I'd have very little excitement for any new console.

I'm actually building a 90s PC for the PC side of those games. My main problem is getting the right PSU for the case I have. The PSU that came with it is just so loud, I think there's something wrong with it and it doesn't post. My rule is, no parts past 1999. I tried to get hold of a Geforce 256 64MB I think, but they're rare and go for a lot on ebay, like £200 if I remember. So I got an Ati Rage 128 Ultra and a Geforce 2Ti. My PC has one of those CREATIVE CD-ROM Drives too, six speed I think.

It's really just the 6th gen I have the least interest in. Though there is 10 - 20 Xbox and Gamecube games I'll play and a few PS2 games. While I was interested in the Geforce 3Ti 500 back in the day, now I just don't want anything to do with the gen. Which is why none of the PC parts I have for my retro PC came out after 1999.

The disappointing thing about the 5th and 6th gen, was that outside of the Sega Saturn, there was a lot less 2D games. I think they thought "we're 3D now, no one wants 2D games".

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sakaiXx
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@sakaixx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Can u stomach PS1 games?

As a retro gamer, I'm quite into the 5th gen, because there's more fascination there for me. Especially the Sega Saturn which I never got to experience much. Also, for me it was one of the most exciting gens. After that my excitement for new consoles gradually went lower and lower. Now I'd have very little excitement for any new console.

I think u just have a certain style that u like for these old games. PS1 do have a lot of isometric 2d jrpg if u into those.

Unfortunate as there a lot of gems stuck in PS1/PS2 era where there just huge library (most of it exclusive) for most genres. Since u like 2D sprites, do check out Stella Deus on the PS2. Its sort of a hidden gem that I really loved. The artsyle is really memorable for me I sometimes gets the urge to play it every few years just to enjoy the art.

There is a huge population that emulates and pirate these old games its why there is a vibrant scene for it especially for PlayStation/ Nintendo products.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@sakaixx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@sakaixx said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Can u stomach PS1 games?

I think u just have a certain style that u like for these old games. PS1 do have a lot of isometric 2d jrpg if u into those.

Unfortunate as there a lot of gems stuck in PS1/PS2 era where there just huge library (most of it exclusive) for most genres. Since u like 2D sprites, do check out Stella Deus on the PS2. Its sort of a hidden gem that I really loved. The artsyle is really memorable for me I sometimes gets the urge to play it every few years just to enjoy the art.

There is a huge population that emulates and pirate these old games its why there is a vibrant scene for it especially for PlayStation/ Nintendo products.

You're right actually. I do love isometric games. Maybe why I like the old Resident Evil games so much.

I'm not so much into RPGs, but wouldn't mind getting into them. The art style looks good in Stella Deus. Is it good for beginners?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sakaiXx

@HalcyonScarlet: there few curveball levels like in a scenario when u overlevel the enemy somehow is 1 or 2 level above u. Generally its a very basic old school tactical rpg where u grind levels to overpower the enemy.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#23 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

PS2 games... you mean the library of classic hits that have been ported, remastered, remade 100x over?

Not completely serious but kind of.