Rumor: Sony working on a dedicated handheld!

• 68 results
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17830 Posts

The source of this rumour is pretty trash. I really wouldn't have my hopes up.

Assuming it's true though and the specs are correct: It would be pretty poky at least. The deck only has 8 RDNA2 CUs. 18CUs at 1.8GHz would be a similar gap to the PS5 as the XSS is to the XSX.

It would be a wasted venture if Sony don't properly back it though. That's what killed the Vita. Fab Hardware, Rubbish support (indie 3rd parties mostly carried it).

They may be thinking that it can just run PS4 and 5 games (probably making portable specific patches for the latter). That could be a good strategy. Get PS1, 2, 3, PSP and Vita games on there too (I really wish Sony would do more with their really old games).

However if it's a device that needs it's own dedicated development teams, a separate platform to the PS5, then I wouldn't have my hopes up.

Would I be interested? Not sure. If it is just a PS Deck then I'd be more inclined to just get a PS5. I'm not really interested in a PS5 at the moment though either. If it's more a PS Switch (as in it does actually have it's own games) AND those games are amazing AND there is 0 chance of them coming to the PC then I probably would bite the bullet alright.

As I say though, probably a nothing burger given the source.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1868 Posts

Yeah, I'm not interested in a Sony handheld. The market also promptly gave them the middle finger when they released the Vita. Song just needs to stop.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

I think things will be interesting in the next few years if companies like Sony enter the handheld market again. Back in the day there was a sega game gear.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39043 Posts

@luxuryheart said:

Yeah, I'm not interested in a Sony handheld. The market also promptly gave them the middle finger when they released the Vita. Song just needs to stop.

What a sheep thing to say. And i can tell you are afraid of them coming out, and absolutely dominating your little Switch 2 with 2013 specs.

Y'all are always mentioning the vita and the psp as the reason for Sony to not bother with handhelds, but if they release a new handheld in 2024 or next year, it won't be for handheld exclusive titles🤣It would be able to play the current ps4 and ps5 lineup, just like the Switch is able to play all its games in handheld mode or in the docked mode.

I say stop being afraid, and open up to the possibility that Nintendo stands no chance for a second round of handhelds.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3034 Posts

Vita 2? Hell yea!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#56 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26103 Posts

They can't even support their existing home console, they shouldn't be trying to add another platform unless its literally a portable PS4.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9565 Posts

Besides all the other debate if SONY doesn't make the handheld a device that can play and run pc launchers or intend to launch their own I don't see how this product has a chance on today's market. Then again that other streaming piece of crap they released is still selling well, so I guess brand name is all that matters to some, regardless of what the product actually offers or does.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8112 Posts

it would definitely be interesting if both Sony and Microsoft challenged Nintendo in the handheld market with portable PC hardware..

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22726 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@girlusocrazy said:

It will be cool if it's compatible with the console games. I would be interested if that was the case.

I hope they allow you to use the disc in a remote console as a key to authorize the game on the handheld, otherwise it's going to limit the games I can play. The only other option I would have is to repurchase games when/if they are on deep discount.

If you can play Bloodborne on it, it's an instant purchase for me, just for that game.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could put the disc into the handheld itself

The idea Sony would base their supposed handheld around disk based media is extremely far fetched. Physical media is disappearing and Sony knows that. To invest in dying tech that could need repairs and service over embracing the much preferred digital route would be a head scratcher...

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1085 Posts

@TheEroica: Physical media still makes sense for the consumer, but optical discs are cumbersome and have shortcomings.

Having a memory card would make more sense, especially one with a writable portion, kind of like the way Nintendo talked about doing 64DD disks. The game is on the read only part, and then there is a writable part for updates and saves.

It would be convenient. As an offline authentication method, as a way to authenticate with any profile on any device, as a way of storing patches permanently and keeping your game, as a way for those without internet access, with slow internet access, or with data caps, to get modern games.

But cards are not how past games were distributed and it would mean a new format and new purchases.

I think it would be effective and ideal as a companion to digital-only, but the greed of companies/investors would probably not allow this to happen.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts
Loading Video...

In early development, not confirmed specs or even properly greenlit for launch. Might be a Playstation 6 family product. Also the latest leaks on Playstation 5 Pro if you watch the rest of the video.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2140 Posts

If they were doing a portable why come out with the portal? That's freaking stupid.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

What would be really cool if someone came up with a handheld that plays games from every system that is currently in the market today.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2428 Posts

Who the hell wants to play movie games on a six inch screen? Sort out your unsustainable game philosophy first.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5261 Posts
@Atomic1977 said:

What would be really cool if someone came up with a handheld that plays games from every system that is currently in the market today.

Is there a need to "bump" a two-month old thread? If a thread has not been active for a least a month, it is best not to post on it and just create a new thread.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

@Pedro said:

Buying Sony's abandonware...😂

FastNslowww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FastNslowww
Member since 2024 • 19 Posts

Hope it lasts this time....the vita had a short lifespan. give it a ton of multiplatform support, much like the console counterpart.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1052 Posts

@pcgamerlaszlo: PSP had a healthy amount of support