Should MS/Xbox go third party in your opinion?

• 89 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic

Poll Should MS/Xbox go third party in your opinion? (64 votes)

Yes 42%
No 58%

MS has said before that they don't care about where you play their games. To them, it's about reaching as many people as possible. And with all of these newly acquired companies, they're going to want to make their money back. After all, GamePass was the big idea, but it turns out subscriptions aren't for most people. So logically, it would make sense to go 3rd party. Even Phil admitted that Xbox couldn't compete with Sony/Nintendo in the console race. So what do you think, SW? Should MS go third party?

• 
GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2594 Posts

My vote is no. Competition brings innovation. I want more competition and innovation in the industry

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39482 Posts

I want them to put someone in charge that is competitive and has a strong backbone. Phil is the one that should go third party. The Xbox brand needs to be like they were during the 360 days, and if they don't, Sony has no competitition and will release TLOU remaster of the remake in 2025.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Saint-George  Online
Member since 2023 • 1344 Posts

How about starting a poll aimed at Cows and Ps5 owners asking if they are disappointed at the lack of third party,a shit road map and being behind xbox in gaming revenue rendering any talk of console sales irrelevant.

Or does that mean you would have to be critical of a favourite company.Bu bu but xbox

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70059 Posts

Sony should be the only console on the market. 🤭

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44198 Posts

If they did then at least BS Jive would get some new games. lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pedro  Online

@SecretPolice: Isn't their competition relying on third party all year?🙃

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45350 Posts

@saint-george said:

How about starting a poll aimed at Cows and Ps5 owners asking if they are disappointed at the lack of third party,a shit road map and being behind xbox in gaming revenue rendering any talk of console sales irrelevant.

Or does that mean you would have to be critical of a favourite company.Bu bu but xbox

Because what you said made no sense lol. They are beating Xbox by a big margin and have huge third party support.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice

@Pedro said:

@SecretPolice: Isn't their competition relying on third party all year?🙃

lol :P

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Saint-George  Online
@SecretPolice said:

If they did then at least BS Jive would get some new games. lol :P

While they are waiting for games they could still enjoy giving MS money by continuing playing Xbox studio's 3rd party Call of duty,Minecraft and the regularly updated Skyrim and Fallout 76 online..Cha Ching 💵💵💵

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39482 Posts

Now that i think of it, since MS is investing all their efforts into AI, the only way to save the Xbox brand is for them to develop chatgpt6, and ask it how to save the brand. This is your only hope, lems.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Saint-George  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@saint-george said:

Because what you said made no sense lol. They are beating Xbox by a big margin and have huge third party support.

Beating xbox at what?

Newsflash..

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

I'd miss them the least, but then I'd be stuck with Sony. And the PS5 is like the Ps3 without the comeback.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41566 Posts

Same answer I have with Nintendo: No!

MS seriously needs to get their collective heads out their asses though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46506 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I'd miss them the least, but then I'd be stuck with Sony. And the PS5 is like the Ps3 without the comeback.

it's the just wait without the satisfying conclusion.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Yup. Sony had to get their shit together with the Ps3, and they really did. Nothing with Ps5. Third party deals and remasters of remasters.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Yes, don't want to see MS fold and go out of business.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5274 Posts

Microsoft should go third party as do Sony and Nintendo for the same reasons. In fact, home consoles should be outlawed as they reinforced platform tribalism and anti-competitive behavior (e.g. console exclusitivity) among participating companies.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

I don’t get the question. MS have been 3rd party for years. Jim Ryan was moaning that the purchase of ABK would be unfair, MS assured the bodies that games would be released on other platforms and Spencer stated ages ago that games would be released on ps5 and Nintendo on a “case by case basis”.

Are we asking if MS should do as they are already doing?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15968 Posts

Sony leading is the worst possible outcome honestly. I like Sony competing its when they really focus 100% to make better products (games) than their competitors like how we used to see in PS1,PS2, PSP and PS4. I mean dude PS3 PS4 era exclusive was really awesome and decimates xbox releases.

Sony haven't been fun in PS5 era but they dont really have to go out of their way either cause Xbox kept on fumbling one way or another. I dont care about nintendo those losers can go bankrupt for all I care.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22857 Posts
@ghostofgolden said:

My vote is no. Competition brings innovation. I want more competition and innovation in the industry

The timeless line of, "competition breeds innovation..."

Except in gaming where we are playing on identically powerful consoles, that provide the exact same games and features and game budgets are 300+ million dollars and take zero risks.... GtaV, an Xbox 360 game is still the biggest open world game ever made with millions of online players and it's more than a decade old...

I don't believe the sentiment that competition breeds innovation in gaming. I see an industry that has painted themselves in a corner where risking innovation is to risk the entire house of cards falling in on itself.

Its time to singularly think of gamers first! End exclusivity and drop the redundancy of owning multiple plastic boxes that do the exact same thing....

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GhostOfGolden

@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Except in gaming where we are playing on identically powerful consoles, that provide the exact same features and budgets are 300+ million dollars and take zero risks.... GtaV, an Xbox 360 game is still the biggest open world game ever made with millions of online players and it's more than a decade old...

I don't believe the sentiment that competition breeds innovation in gaming. I see an industry that has painted themselves in a corner where risking innovation is to risk the entire house of cards falling in on itself.

We wouldn’t have the Nintendo Switch if it weren‘t true. The PS5 and Xbox Series X are only identical because of cost. But again, the Series S only exists because Xbox saw releasing a more affordable sku as a competitive advantage.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SecretPolice

@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Except in gaming where we are playing on identically powerful consoles, that provide the exact same games and features and game budgets are 300+ million dollars and take zero risks.... GtaV, an Xbox 360 game is still the biggest open world game ever made with millions of online players and it's more than a decade old...

Its time to singularly think of gamers first! End exclusivity and drop the redundancy of owning multiple plastic boxes that do the exact same thing....

Trip Hawkins many moons ago quit as founder and CEO of EA because he had a dream....

Many manufactures, one unified OS.

I was one of the first onboard. lol :P

The 3DO Interactive Multiplayer, also referred to as simply 3DO, isa home video game console developed by The 3DO Company. Conceived by entrepreneur and Electronic Arts founder Trip Hawkins, the 3DO was not a console manufactured by the company itself, but a set of specifications, originally designed by Dave …See more

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Sony is already barely putting any effort in... It is AMAZING how much cows can not see past the sales success to see the reality of the PS5.

So these special cows want the competition to vanish. Then maybe Sony will bring out one game every few years if you're lucky, if you beg hard enough?

The cows ironically hope for the N64Station 5?

This is already p4p the worst PlayStation console Sony has made with most games being PS4 games. It's struggling to reach PS3 levels. And the cows think ending competition completely will help? :-0

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11203 Posts

They won't do it. A fat cash warchest and too much tech bro pride is a hell of a mix. Xbox is a vanity project for MS. The only way MS would even consider it is if MS profits started declining. But investors keeping dump-trucking them money at every announcement they make, so that's not going to change soon.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1144 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea. If anything I would like one more entry into the console space with Valve and a Steam Deck-like console, but I don't want less competition.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GhostOfGolden

@SecretPolice: I own a Panasonic 3DO right now. There were variants of the Sega CD back in the day too. I had a JVC X’eye Genesis/Sega CD. The industry was nuts in the 90’s

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice

@ghostofgolden:

Yup, Panasonic here as well and still have it and the games in the original boxes. ;)

Although the original box has the barcode cut out. I bought day one for $699.99. Sometime later they reduced the price to $399.99 and let me and others recover the cost by sending the barcode in for proof and got some $$$ back. lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro  Online

@onesiphorus said:

Microsoft should go third party as do Sony and Nintendo for the same reasons. In fact, home consoles should be outlawed as they reinforced platform tribalism and anti-competitive behavior (e.g. console exclusitivity) among participating companies.

Don't rile up the crazed fanboys. They don't like it when games are not exclusive.😂

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1144 Posts

@ghostofgolden: The X'Eye is cool. There was also the LaserActive which could play Genesis and TG16 games, also special Laserdisc games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HalcyonScarlet
@ghostofgolden said:

@SecretPolice: I own a Panasonic 3DO right now. There were variants of the Sega CD back in the day too. I had a JVC X’eye Genesis/Sega CD. The industry was nuts in the 90’s

I actually like the look of that first Panasonic 3DO.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pedro  Online
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

You are speaking into the void. The industry is changing and the old farts are clinging onto the past with their lives.😂

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GhostOfGolden

@girlusocrazy said:

@ghostofgolden: The X'Eye is cool. There was also the LaserActive which could play Genesis and TG16 games, also special Laserdisc games.

One of these years I’m gonna get back to collecting retro consoles. I’ve seen the LaserActive at a retro shop. It was like $800. I checked eBay and it wasn’t much better there. The X’eye is a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GhostOfGolden
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

You are speaking into the void. The industry is changing and the old farts are clinging onto the past with their lives.😂

I look forward to some sort of metrics or data that support your “the industry is changing” claim. Because Nintendo and PlayStation are staying put is paying off more than Xbox’s gamble. A gamble that is soon entering its 7th year.

Lemme guess, you were out there calling people “old farts” that spoke out against NFTs too weren’t you? 🤣 The future… 🤣😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro  Online

@ghostofgolden said:

I look forward to some sort of metrics or data that support your “the industry is changing” claim. Because Nintendo and PlayStation are staying put is paying off more than Xbox’s gamble. A gamble that is soon entering its 7th year.

Lemme guess, you were out there calling people “old farts” that spoke out against NFTs too weren’t you? 🤣 The future… 🤣😂

I understand that you are triggered by my comment and in absolute desperation, went for the jar of straws.🤭

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GhostOfGolden

@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

I understand that you are triggered by my comment and in absolute desperation, went for the jar of straws.🤭

I think you need to look up the words, "triggered," and "desperation." Because those words don't apply here.

Here, I'll give you a couple of real world examples of how those words should be used.

- Pedro is "triggered" by the negative financial performance and media coverage of Xbox as of late.

- In an act of "desperation," Pedro is trying to ignore all market performance and consumer spending metrics in order to paint the Xbox strategy in a positive light. Pedro is doing so by creating a fictional reality where this Xbox strategy is showing promise and potential.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@ghostofgolden said:
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

How has Nintendo "stayed put"? :-S

Right now their popularity is because they capitalised on the handheld market. They literally left the home console market because it wasn't working for them.

The closest they are getting to the home console market is by marketing their handheld as a "hybrid" console. Nintendo had to find their own way, and they've been trying since the Wii.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HalcyonScarlet
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Yeah, while competition is good for the consumer, with improvements to games, services and prices... I'm not sure it brings out "innovation".

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8879 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: You cows can't make up your mind.

• One day "Xbox has no games!:
  • Next day "XBox, let us have your games!"

Microsoft is the most valuable company in the world right now (yes, that is true). They don't need to go 3rd party.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheEroica  Moderator

@ghostofgolden said:
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Except in gaming where we are playing on identically powerful consoles, that provide the exact same features and budgets are 300+ million dollars and take zero risks.... GtaV, an Xbox 360 game is still the biggest open world game ever made with millions of online players and it's more than a decade old...

We wouldn’t have the Nintendo Switch if it weren‘t true. The PS5 and Xbox Series X are only identical because of cost. But again, the Series S only exists because Xbox saw releasing a more affordable sku as a competitive advantage.

Sony and Microsoft have been offering indendical hardware for three generations.... Nintendo innovates... I even mentioned it in the podcast that without switch there is no steam deck, but on a whole, billions of development dollars are being spent to create platforms that emulate eachother rather than innovate. Nintendo is part of it as well... Games cost way too much to make and don't provide unique gameplay experiences and hardware is designed only for more power to detail textures but not actually innovate gameplay.... I'm done propping that approach up.... It's not innovation.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8279 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

well said..

personally, i think Microsoft would like to go 3rd party.. Microsoft, as a whole, is all about bringing their software and services to as many end points as possible (Windows, Office, Azure, etc).. i think they'd really like for gaming to be no different..

unfortuntely, that isn't the reality (and therefore isn't going to happen).. Satya Nadella has stated that the gaming market is defined as competition via exclusives.. those are the rules that the current home console market leader is playing by and Microsoft is going to have to play by the same rules for as long as they are in the console hardware business..

ideally, exclusives would be a thing of the past and competition would be defined by direct comparisons on better hardware, services, pricing, and etc... actual end-user metrics instead which company can exclude the most software from others..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Antwan3K  Online
@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

the guy continually ignores the fact that Xbox is generating more gaming revenue than Nintendo and will soon be within striking distance of PlayStation in revenue after ABK.. ("revenue" used to be his favorite measurement of success)

Xbox has more monthly active users than both PlayStation and Nintendo as well..

he's asking for metrics and data but is ignoring MAU and Revenue.. 🙄

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

Yes and no.

I'd love all games to be on as many platforms as possible. If i could get by with a PC and Steam Deck i would be happy out. I love the content business, service business and hardware business to be a lot more separate with a much lower barrier to entry to get in the console market. As it is currently set up: the console market is one very toxic market.

So would i like to see MS games on PS and Nintendo? Sure. Same as i would like to see Mario on Xbox, GOW on switch and Forza on PS.

Do I want MS to stop making hardware? No. The console market is what it is at the moment. I want there to at least be some competition. But I would also like to see the hardware do a better job of selling on it's own merits too. To add something to the game in some way. I'd like to see MS do better on that front. I mean the Series X is fine. It doesn't do anything particularly wrong. It's well engineered. It's reliable. It does the job of being the 4th iteration of the OG xbox. But that's all it is...it's fine. It's not exciting. There is nothing particularly interesting about it.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Antwan3K  Online
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

[....]

[...]

Right now their popularity is because they capitalised on the handheld market. They literally left the home console market because it wasn't working for them.

The closest they are getting to the home console market is by marketing their handheld as a "hybrid" console. Nintendo had to find their own way, and they've been trying since the Wii.

Nintendo exited direct home console market competition ages ago and Nintendo themselves have stated as much several times..

the reality is that all 3 major players have differing strategies now and each of those strategies is working by playing to the individual strengths of the companies..

there are no true "apples to apples" comparisons anymore.. fanboys don't want to hear that because they want to keep worshipping plastic boxes but that's just the current reality of the industry..

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GhostOfGolden

@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Sony and Microsoft have been offering indendical hardware for three generations.... Nintendo innovates... I even mentioned it in the podcast that without switch there is no steam deck, but on a whole, billions of development dollars are being spent to create platforms that emulate eachother rather than innovate. Nintendo is part of it as well... Games cost way too much to make and don't provide unique gameplay experiences and hardware is designed only for more power to detail textures but not actually innovate gameplay.... I'm done propping that approach up.... It's not innovation.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 were quite different hardware-wise. But I get your point. But like I said, that has much more to do with cost. Meaning Xbox and PlayStation have to chase this $500 price point which totally handcuffs what they're able to bring to the market. Nvidia isn't going to bother making a chipset at that price point. AMD takes razor thin margins just to win those bids. And that's why we get 2 boxes that are basically the same thing.

As for the competition brings innovation debate. Without competition, what motivation would PlayStation have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on their first party games? Why would Xbox buy Activision and Blizzard? You may not care for those narrative heave AAA games. I don't. And you may not care for the current direction of the industry. But consumer spending is what is sending it in this direction. Folks here act like its the other way around. PlayStation and Nintendo are just following the money. Xbox is trying to change their position in the market. Without competition, we would have fewer games and services than we have now.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GhostOfGolden

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Their business model has "stayed put." They charge us full price for games at launch. And they aren't discounted substantially for some time if ever. They do have a online subscription service but it's mostly for online multiplayer. There are a few NSO exclusives though like access to DLC and retor games. But for the most part, Nintendo has not adopted the subscription service model that Xbox has. They have "stayed put."

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@ghostofgolden said:
@TheEroica said:
@ghostofgolden said:

The PS3 and Xbox 360 were quite different hardware-wise. But I get your point. But like I said, that has much more to do with cost. Meaning Xbox and PlayStation have to chase this $500 price point which totally handcuffs what they're able to bring to the market. Nvidia isn't going to bother making a chipset at that price point. AMD takes razor thin margins just to win those bids. And that's why we get 2 boxes that are basically the same thing.

As for the competition brings innovation debate. Without competition, what motivation would PlayStation have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on their first party games? Why would Xbox buy Activision and Blizzard? You may not care for those narrative heave AAA games. I don't. And you may not care for the current direction of the industry. But consumer spending is what is sending it in this direction. Folks here act like its the other way around. PlayStation and Nintendo are just following the money. Xbox is trying to change their position in the market. Without competition, we would have fewer games and services than we have now.

They would operate like steam... Epic store.... Services making profits off of their games and traffic. They would compete in the same way they do now.... Winning customers with better games and services found uniquely on their offerings....

The reason Sony and Nintendo won't is because owning the box also determines install base.... By eliminating the box and relying on competing digital storefronta, they have automatically put Xbox in as many homes as Playstation and Sony wouldn't want that.... To sell a Playstation console (even though it's identical to an xsx) creates a larger customer base than the competition. Corporations win, gamers lose.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GhostOfGolden

@TheEroica said:

Corporations win, gamers lose.

These are businesses... They are trying to make money. If they didn't think they could make money off this stuff they wouldn't be in business.

Your scenario would require a HUGE shift in consumer spending. And consumers are currently voting with their wallets to keep things the way they currently are. This isn't some "old fart clinging to the past" thing. It's the reality of the situation. The financials released today support this. Again. 5 console exclusives in the top 10 for December. 3 of the top 10 for the entirety of 2023. Software spending is up. Hardware spending is up. Subscription spending is flat.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro  Online
@ghostofgolden said:

I think you need to look up the words, "triggered," and "desperation." Because those words don't apply here.

Here, I'll give you a couple of real world examples of how those words should be used.

- Pedro is "triggered" by the negative financial performance and media coverage of Xbox as of late.

- In an act of "desperation," Pedro is trying to ignore all market performance and consumer spending metrics in order to paint the Xbox strategy in a positive light. Pedro is doing so by creating a fictional reality where this Xbox strategy is showing promise and potential.

I am not sure why you are so riled up over my comment.🤭

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

@Pedro said:

That is right bc when Play Station and Nintendo is only one hardware Xbox is every where and this way is the future! Xbox every where and GamePass every where and more money for Microsoft and more games for players. Every body wins thank you Phil!!