Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39410 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Returnal has more aim assist than cod, destiny or Halo. Hit boxes are also massive so aiming down sight is completely worthless, and the best thing to do is free aim so you have a max field of view at all times.

Doesn't matter.

Metal Gear Solid 1 to 3, Resident Evil series even in the Gamecube/PS2 gen, Devil May Cry series and God of War trilogy had fixed/cinematic cameras. Even RE4 still assigned aiming the gun to the navigation stick, and I don't think it was just to maintain tension or because the Gamecube controller had such a crappy nub (C-stick, expanded from N64's C-buttons); I think it was because the designers disliked using both sticks so much.

Metroid Prime, Rayman 2, Everything or Nothing and Grand Theft Auto before IV were built around auto-aim.

Because the developers at that time heeded the limitations of analog sticks. Aim-assist doesn't solve the problem. Only a fusion of mouse-type and a device in the left hand made for games, with analog navigation, would solve it. But the console designers and their users are too comfortable with the same old. Mouse and keyboard just feel better with games like this.

git gud. the game is so generous with its aiming that a 4y old would be able to play it.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2471 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Returnal has more aim assist than cod, destiny or Halo. Hit boxes are also massive so aiming down sight is completely worthless, and the best thing to do is free aim so you have a max field of view at all times.

Doesn't matter.

Metal Gear Solid 1 to 3, Resident Evil series even in the Gamecube/PS2 gen, Devil May Cry series and God of War trilogy had fixed/cinematic cameras. Even RE4 still assigned aiming the gun to the navigation stick, and I don't think it was just to maintain tension or because the Gamecube controller had such a crappy nub (C-stick, expanded from N64's C-buttons); I think it was because the designers disliked using both sticks so much.

Metroid Prime, Rayman 2, Everything or Nothing and Grand Theft Auto before IV were built around auto-aim.

Because the developers at that time heeded the limitations of analog sticks. Aim-assist doesn't solve the problem. Only a fusion of mouse-type and a device in the left hand made for games, with analog navigation, would solve it. But the console designers and their users are too comfortable with the same old. Mouse and keyboard just feel better with games like this.

git gud. the game is so generous with its aiming that a 4y old would be able to play it.

That's cope. Challenge should come from the design of the game, not because the peripheral is hampered by bad engineering (for games such as this) or because the peripheral's basic design is from a time when free-aim shooting games were mostly a PC thing. What are you saying, that I should git gud with a controller? Why bother when the mouse and keyboard crush controllers in shooting games?

Waiting absolutely pays off with modern PlayStation games, most of which heavily use the right stick. At least Until Dawn had it right with the cinematic camera.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Doesn't matter.

That's cope. Challenge should come from the design of the game, not because the peripheral is hampered by bad engineering (for games such as this) or because the peripheral's basic design is from a time when free-aim shooting games were mostly a PC thing. What are you saying, that I should git gud with a controller? Why bother when the mouse and keyboard crush controllers in shooting games?

Waiting absolutely pays off with modern PlayStation games, most of which heavily use the right stick. At least Until Dawn had it right with the cinematic camera.

Its nobody's fault that you can't control a video game with a controller. This is why console gamers are far more experienced than hermits.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Warm_Gun

@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Doesn't matter.

Its nobody's fault that you can't control a video game with a controller. This is why console gamers are far more experienced than hermits.

I do okay, I think.

Loading Video...

But notice how I move left and right with navigation (left stick) to help line up my shots? You see that all over Twitch, YouTube, wherever, whatever the game. Almost nobody solely uses the right stick to aim because getting the precision down feels awful.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Warm_Gun

RE4 doesn't have aim-assist like Uncharted. I think it's the only other third-person shooter that I played with a controller and uploaded. But aiming is with only one stick, so doesn't feel as bad as modern twin-stick stuff.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

Doesn't matter.

I do okay, I think.

Loading Video...

But notice how I move left and right with navigation (left stick) to help line up my shots? You see that all over Twitch, YouTube, wherever, whatever the game. Almost nobody solely uses the right stick to aim because getting the precision down feels awful.

That was 5 years ago. You lost your aim.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10503 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@Macutchi said:

every single case isn't accurate. not all ports are created equally. we all know plenty suffer technical issues. returnal might not be one of them, but we're talking every single one here.

and what does better mean exactly? what's so much better that's it's worth trading off years of waiting for?

Returnal with a controller feels bad, man. Do want analog movement, disappointed about the lack of a walk key, but the aiming? Yuck.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Walk is a toggle.

God of War - Steam users say no walk button.

Returnal - No walk button.

Days Gone - Walk is a toggle.

Spider-Man - Don't know if it's toggle or hold. Already have on PS4, not buying on/for Steam.

Coincidence? I wanna read Sony's PC port requirements.

returnal's uses haptic feedback probably better than any other game i've played. no issues with the controller for me. a walk button or lack of one's never crossed my mind

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Warm_Gun
@Macutchi said:

a walk button or lack of one's never crossed my mind

You don't understand. I am saying that you can't walk in Returnal with a mouse and keyboard, with digital navigation. You can with a controller, with analog navigation. Normally PC games have keys that you can hold to slow the navigation of WASD, but more and more games don't have it.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Warm_Gun

Returnal gains 360 degree movement with a controller, but would gain nothing in terms of degrees of movement with a walk key. It has only two speeds: walk and run. Zelda has like four. FromSoftware's games only have two.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10503 Posts

@warm_gun: ah ok, i see what you're saying, i thought you'd walk by default and hold a key down to run

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Warm_Gun
@warm_gun said:

Aim-assist doesn't solve the problem. Only a fusion of mouse-type and a device in the left hand made for games, with analog navigation, would solve it. But the console designers and their users are too comfortable with the same old. Mouse and keyboard just feel better with games like this.

I know console players don't want to play at desks. If they want to make a controller that's made for these modern games that are all about aiming cameras and which keeps the hands in a relaxed resting position (with buttons made for playing and analog navigation, unlike a keyboard), the furniture is already there. My table rolls to the side of my chair, acting as a long table when I'm not computing with the TV.

Alternatively, a lap pad, but I don't like the idea of having stuff on me, so options!

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Warm_Gun
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I do okay, I think.

Loading Video...

I still do okay, I think. Recorded this just for you.

Loading Video...
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I do okay, I think.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

what the hell is this, bro. even ghost aims better.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Warm_Gun
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I do okay, I think.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Ghost doesn't use a controller, ever. He only plays two kinds of games, mostly one.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 276 Posts

Fun but flawed. Incomplete. Like a nice built home without the sheet rock and carpets.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 hardwenzen

@shadyacshuns said:

Fun but flawed. Incomplete. Like a nice built home without the sheet rock and carpets.

If it was a Nintendo game, you would've never called the game flawed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 hardwenzen
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I do okay, I think.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Ghost doesn't use a controller, ever. He only plays two kinds of games, mostly one.

I know, and he would still out skill you. This zelda vid has clearly showed me why you're complaining about Returnal.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Warm_Gun

@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Loading Video...

I know, and he would still out skill you. This zelda vid has clearly showed me why you're complaining about Returnal.

I remember that you posted like ninety seconds after my post, meaning that you only watched the beginning before criticizing, when I was getting used to the sensitivity. You were just itching to hate. Ocarina doesn't have the best analog aim sensitivity, and my controller has to emulate Gamecube's, but I got fairly close to 2000.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Warm_Gun

And my point stands, the videos out there prove it. Almost everyone, including probably you, lines up shots in part by moving left and right because getting the precision down feels so bad.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

Loading Video...

I remember that you posted like ninety seconds after my post, meaning that you only watched the beginning before criticizing, when I was getting used to the sensitivity. You were just itching to hate. Ocarina doesn't have the best analog aim sensitivity, and my controller has to emulate Gamecube's, but I got fairly close to 2000.

I ain't hating. Just reminding you that Returnal is the last game you'd have trouble aiming in if you don't use your feet to control the granny you're playing as.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Warm_Gun
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I ain't hating. Just reminding you that Returnal is the last game you'd have trouble aiming in if you don't use your feet to control the granny you're playing as.

I never talked about having trouble aiming. That was all you, because you can't conceive of disliking something while also being able to do it. That was the whole point of my Arkham skill videos with the inflammatory titles. I said that playing (twin-stick third- and first-person) shooters with a controller FEELS bad.

"Returnal with a controller feels bad, man. Do want analog movement, disappointed about the lack of a walk key, but the aiming? Yuck."

You can be good at Returnal with a controller, but anyone who has spent a good deal of time practicing with both will play better with a mouse. It's way more efficient, with your wrist and forearm offering far more range and speed than the dinky little stick.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Warm_Gun

Either you increase the sensitivity of the stick, which lets you whip the camera around faster, but makes it harder to then hone in, making you overshoot even if you are as careful as possible.

Or you reduce the sensitivity of the stick, which means you have to drag the camera longer to get to your target.

The stick severely lacks range.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I never talked about having trouble aiming. That was all you, because you can't conceive of disliking something while also being able to do it. That was the whole point of my Arkham skill videos with the inflammatory titles. I said that playing (twin-stick third- and first-person) shooters with a controller FEELS bad.

"Returnal with a controller feels bad, man. Do want analog movement, disappointed about the lack of a walk key, but the aiming? Yuck."

You can be good at Returnal with a controller, but anyone who has spent a good deal of time practicing with both will play better with a mouse. It's way more efficient, with your wrist and forearm offering far more range and speed than the dinky little stick.

There was no issues with aiming of any kind in that game, so complaining about it is just weird. Your "mouse is always better than controller" is a very foolish statment. Games with high aim assist like cod, apex and halo, keyboard pros are literally forced to use the controller if they want to compete at close to mid ranges with good controller users. And guess what? Returnal has higher aim assist than all of those games🤷‍♂️So as i said it before, git gud.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Warm_Gun

@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

There was no issues with aiming of any kind in that game, so complaining about it is just weird. Your "mouse is always better than controller" is a very foolish statment. Games with high aim assist like cod, apex and halo, keyboard pros are literally forced to use the controller if they want to compete at close to mid ranges with good controller users. And guess what? Returnal has higher aim assist than all of those games🤷‍♂️So as i said it before, git gud.

Returnal lets you turn aim assist all the way off. I have it off. Some of the weapons have seeking projectiles, but that by itself is significantly less than you want to have us believe.

Either you increase the sensitivity of the stick, which lets you whip the camera around faster, but makes it harder to then hone in, making you overshoot even if you are as careful as possible.

Or you reduce the sensitivity of the stick, which means you have to drag the camera longer to get to your target.

You didn't quote this and can't refute it logically because it's just engineering. The problem is built in. Returnal feels better with a mouse and keyboard. I laugh at the idea of dashing and performing melees with shit buttons L3 and R3.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

Returnal lets you turn aim assist all the way off. I have it off. Some of the weapons have seeking projectiles, but that by itself is significantly less than you want to have us believe.

You didn't quote this and can't refute it logically because it's just engineering. The problem is built in. Returnal feels better with a mouse and keyboard. I laugh at the idea of dashing and performing melees with shit buttons L3 and R3.

You turn the aim assist off, and complain about aiming on a controller?🤭Did ghost hack your account or what?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Warm_Gun
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

You turn the aim assist off, and complain about aiming on a controller?🤭Did ghost hack your account or what?

A non-response. Unable to deal with the facts. You can turn around, because the argument is settled. Mouse and keyboard combo wins.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Warm_Gun

Dashing and sprinting with L3 is so common in games now, and when someone complains about it it's usually a console player. Imagine thinking that pressing the stick down immediately before or while pushing it to the radius feels good. Clearly, the developers want more buttons, if they keep using those shit buttons (L3 and R3) for important actions, but still the controller engineers stick to this four button diamond that takes up the whole thumb and put the only two other buttons for that side at the top of the controller (R1 and R2). A flat pad would make more sense, since it wouldn't waste all those digits just being carried.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

A non-response. Unable to deal with the facts. You can turn around, because the argument is settled. Mouse and keyboard combo wins.

Mouse and keyboard wins vs titles that has no aim assist or weak aim assist. It also wins at long rangers because even in high aim assist titles, its weaker at long rangers. Keyboard and mouse doesn't win ain't high aim assist and the proof to you is esports in all shooters with strong aim assist. So the truth is, you're the one unable to deal with facts, and accept controllers superiority when aim assist is doing the job for you.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Warm_Gun
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

Mouse and keyboard wins vs titles that has no aim assist or weak aim assist. It also wins at long rangers because even in high aim assist titles, its weaker at long rangers. Keyboard and mouse doesn't win ain't high aim assist and the proof to you is esports in all shooters with strong aim assist. So the truth is, you're the one unable to deal with facts, and accept controllers superiority when aim assist is doing the job for you.

Why would you give any legitimacy to shooters with heavy aim assist by bringing them into this discussion? (Returnal is not one of them, since it's not competitive and the option can be turned off.) If it's auto-aim in a game that isn't so much about the shooting, that's fine, but heavy aim assist in a shooter? Do you want to play the game or do you want it playing you? Stop enabling the decline. In a GREAT third or first person shooter, mouse prevails, keyboard potentially too if the devs want many actions. Which gets into cycling through only a few weapons or items or having the game pause/slow as you choose from a fucking radial menu. Yours truly, the FromSoftware games, are affected. Waste all that time cycling one way through consumables (up to ten after Dark Souls II, if I remember correctly) and three weapons/items in each hand because the controller doesn't have something like a number row, number pad or mouse wheel. NINE button presses to get back to the consumable you wanted. Even four is too much.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Warm_Gun

And, ironically, the aim-assist is there BECAUSE sticks are bad for aiming.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Warm_Gun

Underwater world is cool and makes me again want a good Little Mermaid game.

Protagonist is embarrassing. So much cringe coming from her mouth.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#82  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

@warm_gun said:

Underwater world is cool and makes me again want a good Little Mermaid game.

Protagonist is embarrassing. So much cringe coming from her mouth.

Which one was good?