What if Mass Effect had Blu Ray or HD DVD instead of DVD9?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 acekall
Member since 2003 • 3676 Posts
Would that make a difference. I read the interview that you can explore over 100 worlds in ME.
What if Bioware had HD DVD or Blu Ray. Do you think that would've effected the content. Maybe whe would've got more content. more space to explore.
I dont see how bioware can get over 100 world to explore on 1 dvd9.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
I guess we'll find out, eh.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.coolguy1111
He doesn't know. He is assuming. Fanboys like to predict things.....when they obviously have no idea.
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#5 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...
acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 acekall
dev costs are goin to be higher too
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Future downloads and updates as necessary.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
It would be just the same. Do you really except game devs to bust their arse adding tons of extra stuff in just because they have more space? When 500gb discs come out games would take to long to make there would only be 1 game on each console every 2 years.
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
There are no cutscenes in Mass Effect. So it will most likely only need one DVD9 disc.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
[QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

...and which console supports holographic discs? :?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

I thought PS3 was future-proof???? :|
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
There are no cutscenes in Mass Effect. So it will most likely only need one DVD9 disc. fatzombiepigeon

I think you mean there are no pre-rendered cut-scenes. If there are cut-scenes, they are most assuredly in real-time.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.coolguy1111
a) The cut scenes are in-engine so no. b) There are already over 100 places to visit so no again to varying enviroments. c) music? was that sarcasm:P d) movies? again, everything is "in-engine." e) Soo.....you are basing all 100+ enviroments on the 10 or so screens you've seen?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Less compression and more FMV.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

and when exactly are games going to start filling up 200 GB? :?
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

Kojima's already saying a 50GB Blu-Ray disc is not enough to store all the 7:1 HD sound...:?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

Next month.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts
even if it did affect the content, theyll just compensate with more downloadable stuff...
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

Kojima's already saying a 50GB Blu-Ray disc is not enough to store all the 7:1 HD sound...:?

I doubt storing all the 7.1 sound will take an additional 150 GB....but I'm done with this holographic discs discussion, this thread and the comment I (should not have) replied to were both irrelevant hypotheticals.
acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 acekall
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

I doubt storing all the 7.1 sound will take an additional 150 GB....but I'm done with this holographic discs discussion, this thread and the comment I (should not have) replied to were both irrelevant hypotheticals.

but you did bring up the holographic disc argument.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="acekall"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

No, Oemenia did.
acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 acekall
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="acekall"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="Oemenia"]What if MGS 4 came out on Holographic disc? The power of questioning...

No, Oemenia did.

O srry:P I need to get my eyes checked :P
solidsnakeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 solidsnakeo
Member since 2003 • 1559 Posts
they will just have multiple dvds it doesn't really matter
cecx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 cecx
Member since 2004 • 10568 Posts

The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.
FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
Nothing.

There is no need for more space on discs this generation. Microsoft was suppose to unveil there new system in 2010. Until then, I doubt games take up 20GB when developed correctly. Worst that could happen is multiple discs (swapping disc somewhere in the story, or a single and multiplayer disc) which isn't that big of a deal. But I seriously doubt it will effect graphics and things like that.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cakeorrdeath
The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.cecx

I don't know look at MotorStorm and Resistance they are both nearly 20 gb.

It is amazing though that only first party games seem to be braking the DVD space barrier and that they aren't just gradually edging over it to say 10gb. Nope overnight they just suddenly needed  tripple the storage space.

It must be all those tracks and vehicles in Motorstorm.

/end of sarcastic rant.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fuzzysquash
O srry:P I need to get my eyes checked :Pacekall
no worries
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#29 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
And is this because they said DVD9 was limiting them...
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts

No, I'm sick of this.  It'd have the same content.

It'd be the same game.

FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="cecx"]The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.cakeorrdeath

It is amazing though that only first party games seem to be braking the DVD space barrier and that they aren't just gradually edging over it to say 10gb. Nope overnight they just suddenly needed tripple the storage space.

/end of sarcastic rant.

I doubt they need to be. I think it's just an promotion to make people think more space on discs is needed right now. I have little knowledge of developing games but I bet allot of files on those game discs can be either removed or compressed making those games considerably smaller.

I just can't imagaine games like Resistance or Motorstorm needing that huge amount of space.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="cecx"]The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.FearlessSpirit

It is amazing though that only first party games seem to be braking the DVD space barrier and that they aren't just gradually edging over it to say 10gb. Nope overnight they just suddenly needed tripple the storage space.

/end of sarcastic rant.

I doubt they need to be. I think it's just an promotion to make people think more space on discs is needed right now. I have little knowledge of developing games but I bet allot of files on those game discs can be either removed or compressed making those games considerably smaller.

I just can't imagaine games like Resistance or Motorstorm needing that huge amount of space.

Did you read the whole of my post?:?
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Spock-

[QUOTE="cecx"]The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.cakeorrdeath

It is amazing though that only first party games seem to be braking the DVD space barrier and that they aren't just gradually edging over it to say 10gb. Nope overnight they just suddenly needed  tripple the storage space.

/end of sarcastic rant.

Resistance maybe, but Motor Storm does not use the Blu-Ray disc to its highest potential. From the EDGE magazine preview in regards to Blu-Ray:

"Again, it's one of those things - it's a great opportunity like 1080p," says Southern when asked about Blu-Ray. "These things are all here to be exploited. But like PS2 development, as soon as you hit the barriers you've got to spend an awful lot of energy breaking down those barriers." With impeccable timing, programmer Scott Kirkland enters the room. "One of the things Blu-Ray lets us do is get every single version of the game on one disc," he says. "We're pretty set on having one version of the Motor Storm binary for all territories, though, so it's not really going to help us this time. We've got lots of ideas for future products, where we're looking at streaming texture and geometry data from the Blu-Ray into the hard-drive cache, but I don't think Motor Storm is going to push that."

acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 acekall

No, I'm sick of this. It'd have the same content.

It'd be the same game.

jvonrader
I was just asking myself if there was more space available, maybe there would be more space to explore and the immersion would be bigger. KOTOR was cool, but I found it disapointing that you could only visit 4 planets.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cakeorrdeath

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="cecx"]The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.-Spock-

/end of sarcastic rant.

Resistance maybe, but Motor Storm does not use the Blu-Ray disc to its highest potential. From the EDGE magazine preview in regards to Blu-Ray:

"Again, it's one of those things - it's a great opportunity like 1080p," says Southern when asked about Blu-Ray. "These things are all here to be exploited. But like PS2 development, as soon as you hit the barriers you've got to spend an awful lot of energy breaking down those barriers." With impeccable timing, programmer Scott Kirkland enters the room. "One of the things Blu-Ray lets us do is get every single version of the game on one disc," he says. "We're pretty set on having one version of the Motor Storm binary for all territories, though, so it's not really going to help us this time. We've got lots of ideas for future products, where we're looking at streaming texture and geometry data from the Blu-Ray into the hard-drive cache, but I don't think Motor Storm is going to push that."

Yet they claim "We use most of it, about 18GB if I remember correctly (and everything on the disk is actualy compressed at a 2:1 ratio too as the CELL is so powerful, that it can decompress the data faster than it can read it."

Also maybe I should have made the word Sarcastic bigger
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="cecx"]The cows seem to think that this could happen any day now. :| I think they fail to realize the development time a game that large would take.cakeorrdeath

/end of sarcastic rant.

Resistance maybe, but Motor Storm does not use the Blu-Ray disc to its highest potential. From the EDGE magazine preview in regards to Blu-Ray:

Yet they claim "We use most of it, about 18GB if I remember correctly (and everything on the disk is actualy compressed at a 2:1 ratio too as the CELL is so powerful, that it can decompress the data faster than it can read it."

Also maybe I should have made the word Sarcastic bigger

Well, I am agreeing with your sarcasm. These games aren't pushing the technology just yet like you say.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cakeorrdeath

Well, I am agreeing with your sarcasm. These games aren't pushing the technology just yet like you say.

-Spock-

OK. It just seemed like you thought I was saying the games were legitamately 20gb.

Sony I think clearly has told its developers to make sure to use as much disk sapce as possible.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]

cakeorrdeath

OK. It just seemed like you thought I was saying the games were legitamately 20gb.

Sony I think clearly has told its developers to make sure to use as much disk sapce as possible.

I heard in a 1UP report that much of the Resitance data is useless filler, used for pushing the actual game data close to the edge of the disc. This apparently shortens load times. Plus they have language tracks for many, many countries on there too. I think in a few years we will start to see the real advantages of it thpugh. Kojima, as you may have heard, is using 7:1 HD audio for MGS4. He is having doubts that it will even fit on a 50GB disc... this is just petty though, who needs or even wants 7:1 audio?
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.BioShockOwnz
He doesn't know. He is assuming. Fanboys like to predict things.....when they obviously have no idea.

How am i pedicting? It could have longer, more, and better looking CGI/FMV. Thats the point of blu-ray, as of now. Also it could have more sound. And show me a picture that disproves Mass Effect sint in-engine? And amount of stuff in the envorenments and level design, or here the lack of, doesnt have anything to do with blu-ray, this game just has boring environments that arnt detailed. Look at Crysis, then look at this.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.Oemenia
And is this because they said DVD9 was limiting them...

How does that have ANYTHING to do with what i said? DVD9 will limit a game dev if there using alot of music, FMV, or CGI. End of story lemming.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.coolguy1111

How am i pedicting? It could have longer, more, and better looking CGI/FMV. Thats the point of blu-ray, as of now. Also it could have more sound. And show me a picture that disproves Mass Effect sint in-engine? And amount of stuff in the envorenments and level design, or here the lack of, doesnt have anything to do with blu-ray, this game just has boring environments that arnt detailed. Look at Crysis, then look at this.

But I have yet to see that be put to use. Sure Resistance uses up a lot of space, but it is definitley either filler or uncompressed, because there is nothing in that game I haven't seen in another game. The extra space on Blu-Ray will NOT be put to use this early in the console cycle, because it will cost even more to dev. If it does happen....it'll take a few years. Also not everything will run better on the PS3 because of the split 256/256 RAM, and the 2x's Blu-Ray Drive. Sure it will help if the game has an option to download a portion of the game to the HDD, but that just shows it is a little crippled. 
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="-Spock-"] I heard in a 1UP report that much of the Resitance data is useless filler, used for pushing the actual game data close to the edge of the disc. This apparently shortens load times. Plus they have language tracks for many, many countries on there too. I think in a few years we will start to see the real advantages of it thpugh. Kojima, as you may have heard, is using 7:1 HD audio for MGS4. He is having doubts that it will even fit on a 50GB disc... this is just petty though, who needs or even wants 7:1 audio?

Which is only an issue due to the read speed of blu-ray drives.

I'm not whether or not we will. I think it is a race between compresion technology and developers abilities to push more out of the systems.

MGS has 10 times as much audio as your average movie so it is not surprising that it would be one of the games to first push the limits. Though because it is completely linear multiple disks would be no issue.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.BioShockOwnz

But I have yet to see that be put to use. Sure Resistance uses up a lot of space, but it is definitley either filler or uncompressed, because there is nothing in that game I haven't seen in another game. The extra space on Blu-Ray will NOT be put to used this early in the console cycle, because it will cost even more to dev. If it does happen....it'll take a few years. Also not everything will run better on the PS3 because of the split 256/256 RAM, and the 2x's Blu-Ray Drive. Sure it will help if the game has an option to download a portion of the game to the HDD, but that just shows it is a little crippled.

No FPS will fill a DVD in atleast 3 years, its the RPGs and games with alot of music/cgi/fmv. Which the Sony consoles usually have alot of. MGS, FF, all those other crazy jrpgs.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
Would that make a difference. I read the interview that you can explore over 100 worlds in ME.
What if Bioware had HD DVD or Blu Ray. Do you think that would've effected the content. Maybe whe would've got more content. more space to explore.
acekall
I think there is a fatal flaw with your Blu-Ray logic. You assume that storage space is the limitation on the 100 worlds in ME. While a more logical view is that development cost and design time are the limitations on the amount of worlds in ME. Just because you could fit 1000 worlds on a Blu-Ray disc does not mean that the developers WOULD make 1000 worlds.

The fact is RPG's aren't going to be any longer simply because they're on Blu-Ray as opposed to DVD9. If it takes JRPG developers 3+ years to make a solid game that takes 50 hours to beat, how long would it take them to make a RPG that takes 150 hours to beat (I'm not talking about open ended exploring RPG's like Oblivion)? 9 years?

Remember, KOTOR only really had 3 worlds to explore, yet it's considered a HIGHLY, HIGHLY good RPG. I don't see ME having over 100 worlds as a problem.
XYZVector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XYZVector
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts

You are a bunch of young whipersnappers, I remeber the days that games came on floppy disks, and 150KB was considered huge. I doubt you will see a game that requires 50gb of data anytime soon. The technoligy behind making the artwork, and meshes for the games will have to improve before we see a game of that size. 50gb is a huge amount of data and it will take some time before it happens, plus you wont see untill the XB has a simular size disk, no developer wants to corner themsevels into an island, that requires BR. Don't belive sony's hype the inclusion of blue ray was so they could try and bury HD-DVD, by claiming every PS3 sold is a blue ray player sold, nothing more nothing less. Could it be used to make a large game, yes, but don't think all that space will goto meshes, and in game engine data, it will be used for FMV's, and demos. We might see the PS3 blue ray's extended storage used in game for latter releases. It already take 2+ years for a game to be made, if they make em any bigger using today's technoligy it would take them another 4+ years to make a game, and that my friend's is probably too risky for most software dev's right now. 

XYZVector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XYZVector
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.coolguy1111

If I wanted to watch a movie I would buy a movie not a game. I don't like the FMV it is only good for one view if that then It just gets in the way.

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coolguy1111
You just said what will hapen, 20 years ago pc games were 150KB, now there 4-8gbs average. What would anotehr 3 years bring?
LaiGaiGeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LaiGaiGeng
Member since 2004 • 180 Posts
acekall
Nothing, with the compressions technology now a days, it comes down to the developers. Space isn't a factor as most companies would allow you to believe.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolguy1111

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Better cut scenes, more music, maybe more detailed, varying environments, more movies. From what ive seen, the cut scenes look like there gonna be in engine, so it probably wont benefit. But the environments, from the screens ive seen, look boring and empty. Needs more stuff in it.XYZVector

If I wanted to watch a movie I would buy a movie not a game. I don't like the FMV it is only good for one view if that then It just gets in the way.

Yea but CGI is very popular in jrpgs, and FMVs might make a come back, C+C3 is doin it, NFS did it. Who knows.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="acekall"]Would that make a difference. I read the interview that you can explore over 100 worlds in ME.
LaiGaiGeng
Nothing, with the compressions technology now a days, it comes down to the developers. Space isn't a factor as most companies would allow you to believe.

Space is a factor. Why is every game well over 2gbs now? Why is a RTS demo over a gb?