What's the hardest game you ever played?

• 55 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

For me it's this old NES game, Cobra Triangle. That shit has this one level with rapidly rising icebergs in it that ruined my childhood.

Childhood ruining iceberg
Childhood ruining iceberg

What about you guys?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Battletoads. That game was freaking hard.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

Impossible to tell cuz it must've been something when i was a kid. In the last 5 or so years, it might've been gow2018 on gmgow. The first DLC in Doom Eternal before they nerfed it, it was super brutal on nightmare as well. Can't think of anything that surpasses these two.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

Nethack. All these years and I've never come close to beating it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

Megaman 1 is pretty hard.

It's also shit. Almost put me of playing 2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Could probably list a number of NES games such as:

- Ninja Gaiden

- Castlevania

- Mega Man

- Gradius

- The Adventures of Bayou Billy

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6718 Posts

Only 1 game has bested me on the hardest difficulty and that game shall remain nameless. All I will say is that Lok can go die in a hole sonewhere lol.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

Ninja Gaiden (on the NES). There are people who can actually beat it, but that is beyond me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

Idunno, one of the Dark Souls or Elden Ring type games?

I don't really enjoy difficult games, I'm a filthy casual.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master System)

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

Kid Icarus

Ghosts & Goblins

Gradius and other shumps

As far as complexity goes, the old Spectrum Holobyte flight sim games came with 300-500 page manuals.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

Gunna be Elden Ring for me. I went into it with zero experience in those types of games, I just don’t think it’s my kind of game. Gave it a few good attempts and just wasn’t having fun with the difficulty.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1281 Posts

I played dota 2 and csgo at a pro level, so I guess that.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Last I can remember, it was Bloodborne.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Pac Man, I can only get to level 4!

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3258 Posts

Pretty much a lot of NES games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@mrbojangles25 said:

Never understood this mindset ever since i was a teenager. Easy games don't make you think. You're on autopilot from the beginning until the very end. Might as well watch the game being played instead of playing it by yourself.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

Mario Maker 1 and 2 super expert kaizo levels... nothing else even gets relatively close (on some of the hardest levels). On some levels you could try 10,000 times and have about as good of a chance of beating that level as simultaneously getting struck by lighting while in the midst of solving perpetual motion and gaining true enlightenment upon solving the mystery of the meaning of life. Don't believe me? I'll give you a list of levels to beat. Post a video, I'd love to eat crow on this.. it always blows me away what some people can do on the game and I'm not half bad (still have a couple undefeated levels). Some people make me look like an absolute amateur though.. These levels make games like Dark Souls, Hardcore RTS games, and early NES/SNES/GEN games seem like a fun excursion.

The very vast majority of levels are player made (like Meet your maker). They don't pull punches like devs will to make a game fair and balanced. Good luck pulling off pixel perfect jumps, midairs, shell jumps, insane clear conditions, never touching the ground, never pressing left, collecting every coin, and everything from 10 second speed runs to 15 to 20 minute long epic adventures, etc.

The games have a low floor (entry level) but the sky is the limit from there and it never stops. Which is probably why I feel as though those 2 games and Rocket League are such great games. No matter how good you get someone will be better, and no matter hard you try it's one of the few games that you just need to hang up the gloves and accept defeat sometimes (at least for the time, being...)

Funny that of the thousands of games I've played I would put their skill ceiling at the very top. I'm not sure which is more weird, the fact that Nintendo has the hardest two games or the fact it's a Mario game.. lol

Even players like Pan

PangaeaPanga have been outdone recently.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

I could put a lot of old arcade games on the list. How many of us have completed an arcade game WITHOUT using extra coins? I beat Street Fighter 2, but that is only because I practised the hell out of it on SNES.

Green Beret on C64 is absolutely ridiculously hard and unfair. I think I made it to level 3 once.

Ghost'n'Goblins on C64 only has 4 stages but no continues. Probably the hardest game which I have completed.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Hardest game I ever played is probably God of War on Give me God of War difficulty. I beat the story and 4/9 valkyries but I do not think I will ever be able to beat the last 5 valkyries. Those Muspelheim trials and that poisonous gas valkyrie doesn't seem relastic nor does beating Sigrun, arguably the hardest boss in modern gaming.

Then there's DMC5 on DMD/H&H, which are 6-7 difficulties down the road and if you consider you need S rank for platinum I would say that is harder than GOW on GMG, but you can technically buy yourself to victory in DMD and use super characters for H&H...

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Cup head

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mozelleple112

@hardwenzen: I was like him from 1998 (Tekken 3 on PS1) down to November 2020.

I played every single game on easy or very easy. The only exceptions were DMC1, DMC5 MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 and a few select others that I beat 3+ times, obviously I worked myself up from easy to normal to hard to The Boss Extreme / Dante Must Die difficulties cause I beat them so many times anyways. but for every other game I only played once, I always picked easy

Then I played Demon's Souls in November 2020 and 7 souls games and 1000 hours between them later now I always pick hard lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

Played some utterly broken shit that I'm not gonna list, because they're just shit.

• Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES)
  • Rush'n'Attack (NES)
  • Lolo (NES)
  • Zelda II (NES)
  • Battletoads (NES)
  • Snake Rattle 'n' Roll (NES)
  • Gradius (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
  • Punch-Out!! (NES)
  • Faxanadu (NES)
  • Battle of Olympus (NES)
  • Super Star Wars (SNES)
  • Ikaruga (GC)

Those games don't **** around, and I played them all when I was a kid. Souls games are easy in comparison, which makes me believe anyone who thinks Souls games are too hard started gaming pretty late and definitely missed out on the NES.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@Mozelleple112 said:

@hardwenzen: I was like him from 1998 (Tekken 3 on PS1) down to November 2020.

I played every single game on easy or very easy. The only exceptions were DMC1, DMC5 MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 and a few select others that I beat 3+ times, obviously I worked myself up from easy to normal to hard to The Boss Extreme / Dante Must Die difficulties cause I beat them so many times anyways. but for every other game I only played once, I always picked easy

Then I played Demon's Souls in November 2020 and 7 souls games and 1000 hours between them later now I always pick hard lol.

What made you choose easy and EVEN very easy?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10554 Posts

im going to discount all the late 80s early 90s arcade / console games or ports, most were notoriously difficult, particularly those with their 3 lives and youre done style. im going to say x3 reunion (space trading sim) on pc from the mid noughties, remember struggling like fck with it.

@mrbojangles25 said:

did you ever try following any of the advice people gave you in your elden ring thread a while back?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mozelleple112

@hardwenzen: going to school/work (and both during college days) then going to the gym/sports activities, the one thing I want to do when I play games is almost lie down flat in the sofa, feet on the table headphones on and relax. I also really hate having to do something again. Back then when I died I would pretty much turn off the console cause no way was I going to go through a level I almost beat all over again. Tedious.

I only bothered doing that with the games I loved i.e. MGS4 doing Boss Extreme no death / perfect stealth runs etc.

for games like RDR2 I wanted to be half asleep and peacefully ride my horse as I immersive myself in the world.

Demon's Souls and FromSoft's games changed that.

Now if I can tank more than 2-3 hits in a game I get pissed lol. even after beating TLOU 1 remake on PS5 4 times and getting the platinum trophy I did a grounded run just for the challenge. when the original came out I *hated* playing on normal, hard, and couldn't imagine survivor, let alone Grounded. (even though I beat it 3-4 times on PS3 and 3-4 times on PS4)

I still hate games where enemies are tanky. Souls games aren't hard because of stupid bullet sponge enemies, they are hard because of complex move sets.

in The Last of Us and The Last of Us 2, 1 headshot kills pretty much every enemy even on grounded. What makes them hard are the lack of resources and advanced AI (best AI of anygame)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@Mozelleple112 said:

@hardwenzen: going to school/work (and both during college days) then going to the gym/sports activities, the one thing I want to do when I play games is almost lie down flat in the sofa, feet on the table headphones on and relax. I also really hate having to do something again. Back then when I died I would pretty much turn off the console cause no way was I going to go through a level I almost beat all over again. Tedious.

I only bothered doing that with the games I loved i.e. MGS4 doing Boss Extreme no death / perfect stealth runs etc.

for games like RDR2 I wanted to be half asleep and peacefully ride my horse as I immersive myself in the world.

Demon's Souls and FromSoft's games changed that.

Now if I can tank more than 2-3 hits in a game I get pissed lol. even after beating TLOU 1 remake on PS5 4 times and getting the platinum trophy I did a grounded run just for the challenge. when the original came out I *hated* playing on normal, hard, and couldn't imagine survivor, let alone Grounded. (even though I beat it 3-4 times on PS3 and 3-4 times on PS4)

I still hate games where enemies are tanky. Souls games aren't hard because of stupid bullet sponge enemies, they are hard because of complex move sets.

in The Last of Us and The Last of Us 2, 1 headshot kills pretty much every enemy even on grounded. What makes them hard are the lack of resources and advanced AI (best AI of anygame)

And i guess this is what i simply don't understand. Its as if everyone is in a hurry to be done with a game they just spent $60 on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Donkey Kong Country 2&3 secret levels

But they are oh so much fun!!

Also Ikaruga, me and my mates could barely get past the third level.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Ghouls and Ghosts, I guess.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

Ghosts and goblins, but that's mostly due to being so young back then,same with NES Ninja Gaiden

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#36 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

Some old game that I can't remember.😂

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Marble Madness. Game drove me frickin nuts. Dam YOU Mark CERNY!!!!!! (Yes the lead architect on the PS4/5 made marble madness...grrr).

Fzero GX. The story mode was a tough old beast. 1 single mistake and you would fail basically.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Probably some indie game notorious for being difficult, can't remember which one.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@nod_calypse: Battletoads, Ghosts and Goblins, Ikari Warriors (if you didn't cheat), Contra (if you didn't cheat).

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6204 Posts

Sensible Soccer when playing a mate from college.

He was a genius at it on the old Amiga.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

The Adventures of Bayou Billy NES

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I liked it

Elec beam + select let you beat the two annoying parts, orange guy and clone

The hardest game I beat is probably some shmup or just a janky game where I learned to deal with the bad controls

I beat mega man 1,2 and 3.... I had ever stage memorized and basically could beat the game with my eyes closed when I was a kid.... Gotta know what to use on each boss.... Then it's cake.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

Perfect Dark on perfect agent was also difficult from what i remember. No checkpoints, shit controls on the N64, and a bunch of timed objectives. PDZ on Dark Agent was at least as difficult as well.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 492 Posts

I think there was this exact same thread a week or 2 ago and I'll say the same thing I said there.

Total Recall on NES.

I hated that game as a kid and it was one of the first games I got for my NES when I was younger. I don't know why my parents bought it for me. Probably I loved the movie.

I find the souls games to be easier than a lot of NES games to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@girlusocrazy said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I liked it

The hardest game I beat is probably some shmup or just a janky game where I learned to deal with the bad controls

I beat mega man 1,2 and 3.... I had ever stage memorized and basically could beat the game with my eyes closed when I was a kid.... Gotta know what to use on each boss.... Then it's cake.

Yeah, it becomes ridiculously easy once you have the patterns memorized, as well as the right weapons to use. The fun was in figuring that out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Never understood this mindset ever since i was a teenager. Easy games don't make you think. You're on autopilot from the beginning until the very end. Might as well watch the game being played instead of playing it by yourself.

I think that's the point. They're meditative. I can turn off my brain and just build, make something from the creative part of my brain, maybe turn on a podcast if I want to educate myself while still having some fun. It's all about reaching that flowstate, looking up at the clock, and going "Woh where did the last two hours go?"

And I think there are different kinds of difficulty. There are things that are hard difficult (in my connation, these are games like Elden Ring) and there are challenging difficult (these are things like easy sandbox games where you have set certain challenges for yourself).

Building a giant world-spanning factory with transportation hubs and making sure everything is balanced and efficient isn't particularly hard, but it is challenging to accomplish.

Plus, it makes me feel special 😁 Not everyone has a logistics-based mindset and the creativity to start from a blank canvas and build a functional city that runs on 95% public transportation.

I choose to not play Elden Ring because I don't want to, not because I can't (says the filthy casual...😉) My time is better spent being [fake] productive in a sandbox game. I don't want to get into that loop of "frustration-effort/time-reward", I want to just....play a game.

In either case, I won't make excuses nor apologize: I don't like hard games 😋

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#47 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

Elden Ring recently,G&G in the arcade or console. I’m a casual gamer who doesn’t like really complex, complicated or difficult games. Been a gamer since the very early 80’s but never been a very skilled game player. I’m a better gamer now than I was decades before. Go figure?lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#48 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

@nod_calypse said:
@TheEroica said:
@girlusocrazy said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I liked it

Yeah, it becomes ridiculously easy once you have the patterns memorized, as well as the right weapons to use. The fun was in figuring that out.

I didn't grow up with Megaman and didn't play it on a loop. But as a first time playthrough I thought it was bad just full of bullshit design. With a padded boss rush.

Megaman 2 I liked better. Big improvement.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 923 Posts

I second Battletoads