Why go by ratings over sales?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ScalIywag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ScalIywag
Member since 2006 • 946 Posts

That would be like saying VCRs are better than DVD players

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
This is a strange thread to me.

I go by ratings over sales as they are generally a better indicator of whether I will like a game.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]So we are going to judge the quality of a game by its advertising budget now?cakeorrdeath
Movies and the Music industry does it. Why can't video games?

No they don't

Oscars aren't dependant on ticket sales neither are 90% of music awards.

Not talking about award shows. Award shows don't count for the masses. How many times you disagreed with a award show? Does that make them right and you wrong?
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Why we see ratings over sales?

50 Cent Bulletproof... critically poor but sold crazy

Okami... critically acclaimed game but sold poor

Thats why :|

A_zombie

Well if more people enjoy 50 cent than Okami who is to say they are wrong? I used it as example of why we should use review at the beginning of the thread but now I'm starting to think it's kind of arrogant and elitist to say such things. Also I haven't even played 50 cent bulletproof so for all I know I might be one of those people who prefer it to Okami... although given the theme and the fact I don't like the GTA series at all i doubt it.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
And in other news, Nickleback is the best rock band ever and The Messengers is the best movie of the year.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 shungokustasu
I'm not talking about what would you go by to buy a game. I'm saying to settle a dispute on which is better.
natrone06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 natrone06
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
How do you feel about food critics, movie critics, music critics? The same?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"] Not talking about award shows. Award shows don't count for the masses. How many times you disagreed with a award show? Does that make them right and you wrong?

What is the point of your thread, here? What are you trying to prove? I'm confused.

Me too! What are you talking about? Who determins the quality of movies and music by sales? I garuntee the people who really into either don't.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 cakeorrdeath
I'm not talking about what would you go by to buy a game. I'm saying to settle a dispute on which is better.shungokustasu

Because bad games sell well and good games sell poorly much more often than bad games get good reviews or vice versa.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]So 50 Cent: Bulletproof is a better game than Ninja Gaiden?shungokustasu
like I said it's not the best system to judge, but Someone might think 50 cent is better than Ninja Gaiden. I mean it sold more than Ninja Gaiden than obviously it had something Ninja Gaiden didn't.

no it didnt, your just dumb.
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

Man if I went by sales rather than ratings I would have bought every single Madden game, NBA Street, GTA, and 50 Cent.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#64 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
More people bought Jaws Unleashed than Dreamfall (got this off the best and worst of 2006 :P).

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]So 50 Cent: Bulletproof is a better game than Ninja Gaiden?shungokustasu
like I said it's not the best system to judge, but Someone might think 50 cent is better than Ninja Gaiden. I mean it sold more than Ninja Gaiden than obviously it had something Ninja Gaiden didn't.

It did! 50 cents name on the box.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 shungokustasu
Ok an example. Lemmings say Gear of Wars is the best game ever. Cows say Final Fantasy XII is the best ever. how would you settle this? ratings or sales?
natrone06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 natrone06
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
Ok an example. Lemmings say Gear of Wars is the best game ever. Cows say Final Fantasy XII is the best ever. how would you settle this? ratings or sales? shungokustasu
There is no way to settle it
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#68 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts
Ok an example. Lemmings say Gear of Wars is the best game ever. Cows say Final Fantasy XII is the best ever. how would you settle this? ratings or sales? shungokustasu
They use both...or anything that will make their game look uber.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 cakeorrdeath

Neither. When you are moving beyond Excellent it all becomes too subjective.
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

So 50 Cent: Bulletproof is a better game than Ninja Gaiden?Spartan070

Too a lot of people, yes

I see the topic starters point..and agree...

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"]Ok an example. Lemmings say Gear of Wars is the best game ever. Cows say Final Fantasy XII is the best ever. how would you settle this? ratings or sales? natrone06
There is no way to settle it

I'll take that. My honest opinion is no way to settle it. However, if I had to say which is better how would an opinionated rating justify that?
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
Here's the point. Many people buy games that they see advertised on TV or games that have brand name recognition. I believe the majority of people don't look to Gamespot, IGN, or other gaming sites for feedback on a particular game. Red Steel sold well because of their TV commercials. I can't recall seeing an Okami or Viva Pinata commercial. 50 Cent: Bulletproof has name recognition. 50 Cent fans bought the game. This also explains Happy Feet, Cars, Open Season, and the numerous games based on animated movies. People see the movie and loved it so the game must be just as good, right? No, but some people think that way. Sales isn't a good indicator of quality.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"]Ok an example. Lemmings say Gear of Wars is the best game ever. Cows say Final Fantasy XII is the best ever. how would you settle this? ratings or sales? cakeorrdeath

This is where I go and you people are now on my level of thinking. You say it's too subjective, but you don't want to think deeper into the matter. Of course we can set a standard on what is best. Do we not say the best horse is the fastest? Do we not say the best mule is the strongest?
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="TDLlama"]Here's the point. Many people buy games that they see advertised on TV or games that have brand name recognition. I believe the majority of people don't look to Gamespot, IGN, or other gaming sites for feedback on a particular game. Red Steel sold well because of their TV commercials. I can't recall seeing an Okami or Viva Pinata commercial. 50 Cent: Bulletproof has name recognition. 50 Cent fans bought the game. This also explains Happy Feet, Cars, Open Season, and the numerous games based on animated movies. People see the movie and loved it so the game must be just as good, right? No, but some people think that way. Sales isn't a good indicator of quality.

no quality is determine by it's price.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]Ok an example. Lemmings say Gear of Wars is the best game ever. Cows say Final Fantasy XII is the best ever. how would you settle this? ratings or sales? shungokustasu

This is where I go and you people are now on my level of thinking. You say it's too subjective, but you don't want to think deeper into the matter. Of course we can set a standard on what is best. Do we not say the best horse is the fastest? Do we not say the best mule is the strongest?

Do we have a way of saying which song is the greatest? which painting is the best?

Your comparisons involve things with a specific task they are not subjective at all.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"] This is where I go and you people are now on my level of thinking. You say it's too subjective, but you don't want to think deeper into the matter. Of course we can set a standard on what is best. Do we not say the best horse is the fastest? Do we not say the best mule is the strongest?

So... you want to develop a way of making games... compete? Like, not from a person's point of view, but an actual competition? How could you possibly do that?

I think sales is the best indicator for that. What is the purpose of a video game? enjoyment. How can we determine which game is more enjoyment than others? If 3 million people bought A, and 1 million people bought B, then A has to be the most enjoyed game. Now, like Casey said earlier Not all 3 million people will like the A game, but can't you say the same for the 1 million people who got B game too?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"] This is where I go and you people are now on my level of thinking. You say it's too subjective, but you don't want to think deeper into the matter. Of course we can set a standard on what is best. Do we not say the best horse is the fastest? Do we not say the best mule is the strongest?

So... you want to develop a way of making games... compete? Like, not from a person's point of view, but an actual competition? How could you possibly do that?

I think sales is the best indicator for that. What is the purpose of a video game? enjoyment. How can we determine which game is more enjoyment than others? If 3 million people bought A, and 1 million people bought B, then A has to be the most enjoyed game. Now, like Casey said earlier Not all 3 million people will like the A game, but can't you say the same for the 1 million people who got B game too?

What if people enjoyed game B in less numbers but greater levels than game A?
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"] This is where I go and you people are now on my level of thinking. You say it's too subjective, but you don't want to think deeper into the matter. Of course we can set a standard on what is best. Do we not say the best horse is the fastest? Do we not say the best mule is the strongest?

What if people enjoyed game B in less numbers but greater levels than game A?

This is where the flaw of the system comes in. However, it's a flaw that made the masses win instead of 1 man's opinion. See what I mean?
Killermonkey97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#82 Killermonkey97
Member since 2005 • 2120 Posts
Well, why tune out the games that were amazing, but lacked the sells, such as Psychonauts, Gunstar Super Heroes, Okami, etc.? No way should those game get tuned out for games that aren't even that good, such as Red Steel or Jaws Unleashed; it's simply injustice for games like that. Sometimes, sales can be covered by movie or entertainment licenses, just trying to make a few dollars to make a quickie game. It's simply not fair for the games that try a new innovation and license be not noticed as well. Which is why people should start reading reviews. Games are like books and movies: they might be good, but you want to hear what critics have to say. It's their job, they professionalize at this sort of thing. Opinions should be heard because, frankly, the majority could think wrong about a game. Don't opinions sometimes help with sales, anyways? Â