Xbox Pro inbound? New dev kit certified.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

To recap:

During the ABK approvals, documents leaked showing a Series X/S refresh was coming, but no “Pro” model.

Phil Spencer stated that no “Pro” model was coming.

Sarah Bond stated new hardware was coming this winter and that Xbox would see the greatest technological leap. But was she talking about next gen or a Pro model?

Now: South Korea just approved a new Xbox dev kit, with many on Twitter claiming it’s gotta be a Pro model, not the mid gen refresh of the Series X/S.

https://insider-gaming.com/new-xbox-dev-kit-rated-in-south-korea/

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1336 Posts
The ps5 pro will be the most powe......oh shiit
The ps5 pro will be the most powe......oh shiit

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

I thought MS specifically said they wouldn't do a Pro. But I guess Sony's latest move forces them to react.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: or did Phil just say they weren’t when he knew they were? Or is this really the mid gen refresh but hopium is making people believe it’s a Pro?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39421 Posts

Its the new digital version, specially made for @last_lap and other digital gamers. Laughable release.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6438 Posts

@hardwenzen: Aww the fakeboy is trying to hurt my feelings 🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Aww the fakeboy is trying to hurt my feelings 🤣

Why would i do that? I am simply reminding you like a good friend.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Failure has a name, hardwenzen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Failure has a name, hardwenzen.

Asked chatgpt and googled it. Never saw my name as the definition of failure. Sorry but Turd10 lovers won't get me this easily.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

Phil said they weren’t doing a midgen refresh, so they are 100% doing a midgen refresh

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1142 Posts

Maybe it's a portable?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: The fact you had to ask chatgp only confirms it further, great job 🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: The fact you had to ask chatgp only confirms it further, great job 🤣

Don't be disrepectful toward me.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Telling the truth is disrespectful to you?

You must feel disrespected a LOT on here.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap

@ghostofgolden: Phil says a lot of things. When it comes to Phils interviews it's a case of half of what you reads all bull and the other half's all 💩

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44361 Posts

I’ll probably just wait for their next system instead of getting a “Pro” model.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Not buying a Pro model this gen.

Worst gen ever in terms of blockbuster games.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

No point in a pro model. Hard pass.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Telling the truth is disrespectful to you?

You must feel disrespected a LOT on here.

I have never heard any truth coming out from your mouth. Never.

@kuu2 said:

Not buying a Pro model this gen.

Worst gen ever in terms of blockbuster games.

For the first time ever, Playstation was lowered to Microsoft standards. Its pathetic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

Just like the PS5 Pro, meh.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

Phil said they weren’t doing a midgen refresh, so they are 100% doing a midgen refresh

Ah. I see you are proficient in executive speak.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1262 Posts

With all the layoffs we're probably going to see fewer big releases .... why bother with more powerful hardware.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: The truth hurt you, that's why you felt disrespected, so you proved by your own words that I tell the truth.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: The truth hurt you, that's why you felt disrespected, so you proved by your own words that I tell the truth.

Only a cow can say the truth. So unless you have a ps5, i can't take anything you say seriously, and instead, i will take it as disrespect toward superior gamers such as myself.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

having 5 (3 xbox/ 2 PS) different SKU with very big differences in power only benefits the last gen Series S as it probably will be the base mode for devs.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: I called you a fakeboy and you put it in your sig they you're not, again your own words have proven you wrong again. You take what I seriously.

Poor wenzen lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: I called you a fakeboy and you put it in your sig they you're not, again your own words have proven you wrong again. You take what I seriously.

Poor wenzen lol.

I usually ignore Aussies completely, unless its a fit women that nolifes the beach. Sorry.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: More lies lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: More lies lol.

Why would i lie about stuff like that? Its just not my personality.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Sony releasing a pro would extend the generation so would be surprised if ms release a new system in 2026 like speculated.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9582 Posts

You're probably getting hints at their next gen console. They already said no mid gen refresh and they are going to have a shortened dev cycle this gen to start next gen earlier than normal. I expect the next Xbox console to release in mid-late 2026 and SONY not to release until 2027 or possibly even 2028.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1336 Posts

If there is to be an Xbox pro one thing i'll say before seeing its specs is it will have games the Ps5 pro dust collecting upgrade won't...i mean who needs games if the Ps5 pro sells more right?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Nah, strangest generation ever where console prices never saw that launch day price falling fast even after many years now.

Crazy, and it hardly felt like we got anything much better than what we had the previous gen. Just one weird gen altogether.

No new refresh needed just wait until they have something really special before launching any new consoles, thank you very much. :P

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

The OneX felt like a nice upgrade because the base XOne was a terrible console. On the other hand, the PS4 Pro is probably the worst console I've ever owned and felt unnecessary.

This gen I'm very satisfied with SeriesX. I skipped the PS but I imagine it's equally good. So unless there's a big upgrade I won't be buying any new console that isn't Nintendo.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

I'm sure this PS5 Pro is Jim Ryan's doing because it doesn't make much sense this gen.

Past gen, consoles had tablet CPUs and devs were vocal about it. The generation felt boring out of the gate and production costs were down and allowed the console makers to cut costs of the launch consoles and launch the Pro consoles above it.

This generation, they have actually increased prices due to costs and we still don't have any price cuts this far into the generation, add to that production costs are up.

Where are you going to price these consoles? Lower base console prices and lose money? Price them high and make it a niche product?

Doesn't seem smart to launch pro consoles this generation unless you don't intend to make any money on them and don't care if you lose money to be the most powerful. With such thin margins, that's not what Sony should be focused on

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pedro

@navyguy21 said:

I'm sure this PS5 Pro is Jim Ryan's doing because it doesn't make much sense this gen.

Past gen, consoles had tablet CPUs and devs were vocal about it. The generation felt boring out of the gate and production costs were down and allowed the console makers to cut costs of the launch consoles and launch the Pro consoles above it.

This generation, they have actually increased prices due to costs and we still don't have any price cuts this far into the generation, add to that production costs are up.

Where are you going to price these consoles? Lower base console prices and lose money? Price them high and make it a niche product?

Doesn't seem smart to launch pro consoles this generation unless you don't intend to make any money on them and don't care if you lose money to be the most powerful. With such thin margins, that's not what Sony should be focused on

Not only that, they are launching it with no first party exclusive games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@Pedro said:
@navyguy21 said:

From my understanding, Sony wants to launch PS5 Pro whenever GTA6 is released.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8500 Posts

I don't see what's the difference between mid gen refresh or next-gen anymore. Devs have only now stopped supporting last gen so what difference does it make? They can easily market it as next-gen or mid gen. Nothing really will change, gone are the days of substantial jumps in performance so at this point in time it's basically whatever the marketing department will come up with.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

@Pedro said:
@navyguy21 said:

Its confusing (and almost frustrating if it wasn't hilarious at the same time) that fanboys just want their "team" to win, no matter the cost.

There's no money to be made in hardware unless you're Apple. Even TV manufacturers barely break even on hardware and make money selling their panels to cheaper brands.

As you said, traditionally you rely on software to drive the hardware, but they aren't even launching with that this year. Its almost like they are choosing propaganda over profits. Sure, you'll sell the most consoles and have more market share (and your fanboys will rejoice), but you BOUGHT that win with your profits and shady deals.

This is why I like Hiroki Totoki coming in when I usually prefer gaming guys to run the consoles. He knows that the numbers have to work at the end of the day and not just winning the console war.

I would imagine that launching the hardware is good for the gaming media cycle, but lets see if they also write articles when Sony's margins get even thinner and they start to close more studios.

Hopefully the rumors are true and the new Xbox is just a refresh and not a Pro, MS needs to be significantly cheaper than Sony if they hope to gain any ground this generation.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Poor wenzen lol.

I usually ignore Aussies completely, unless its a fit women that nolifes the beach. Sorry.

With great feet too!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

Could be this rumoured handheld. Apparently MS want in on the Switch/Deck action so perhaps that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@osan0 said:

Could be this rumoured handheld. Apparently MS want in on the Switch/Deck action so perhaps that.

Series S spec'ed handheld would be a good move.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osan0

@Pedro said:
@osan0 said:

Series S spec'ed handheld would be a good move.

Yeah it could be quite interesting. If they can get it up to XSS level of performance then that would be a nice win. It could be difficult to cool and pricey though. Also battery life....a tough technical challenge. Gaming handhelds are always very tough to get right.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@osan0 said:

Yeah it could be quite interesting. If they can get it up to XSS level of performance then that would be a nice win. It could be difficult to cool and pricey though. Also battery life....a tough technical challenge. Gaming handhelds are always very tough to get right.

If they can do a great job with x86 on ARM, it might be able to address the concerns you mentioned.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0

@Pedro said:
@osan0 said:

If they can do a great job with x86 on ARM, it might be able to address the concerns you mentioned.

It would be interesting to see them (or anyone) try.

At the moment though I reckon the overhead of emulating X86 on ARM would more than offset any advantage an ARM CPU would bring.

The last I heard of such an attempt was with Apple and their Rosetta layer when they transitioned to ARM and, even with the limited app support needed for Apple, it was janky.

In terms of raw performance, i think the likes of the ROG ally is right up there with the XSS. But if they were to put that chip in an Xbox handheld (and setting aside cost concerns for a sec) it could mean a significant retesting and shader recompilation effort for all xbox games. Doable but not cheap.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1176 Posts

@Pedro said:
@navyguy21 said:

I think that you are aware there can't be a PS5 Pro exclusive game only, yes.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2085 Posts

I am incredibly ambivalent to either of the supposed pro-models.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45326 Posts

Wasn’t this already leaked with the Xbox Brooklyn concept?