EA or Ascendant studios, easy chose right?

• 60 results
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Last_Lap  Online

Poll EA or Ascendant studios, easy chose right? (9 votes)

EA 56%
Ascendant Studios 44%

Now for the context. It seems that 100% of the revenue from the sales of Immortal of Aveum will go to the developer of the game Ascendant Studios from this day forth.

It seems that the dev cut a deal with EA and may have had to forgo any money from downloads on Gamepass. While it hasn't been reported how this deal came about, we know how EA is, they wouldn't have done this unless there was something in it for them.

So, the question is would you side with the publisher and by play it on GP and giving EA money or side with the dev and actually buy the game?

This could start and unfavorable trend between devs and publishers when it comes to Gamepass.

Not so much of an easy question for some, but an easy one for me.

• 
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6717 Posts

Damn can't edit, if a mod could add an extra o the word chose that would be nice lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Easy choice for me. I’ll be playing the game on Game Pass.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

Immortals of Eveum is in the top 5 worst games made in the last 20 years. The fact that nobody said anything, and they kept developing it for years tells me everything i need to do about this dev and its publisher.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

Already bought the game but I will also be playing it on GamePass PC.🤷🏽‍♂️

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Last_Lap  Online

@Archangel3371 said:

I'm not surprised that you would give your money to a publisher over a developer.

#welcometogamepass

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@Archangel3371 said:

You are not concerned about the inner dealings between the publisher and developer?😏

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371

@Pedro: Very concerned. It keeps me up at night. 😅

@last_lap: I give my money to developers lots of times. Just not to this one in particular for this particular game. 🤷‍♂️

#DiscerningGamer

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Last_Lap  Online

@hardwenzen said:

Immortals of Eveum is in the top 5 worst games made in the last 20 years. The fact that nobody said anything, and they kept developing it for years tells me everything i need to do about this dev and its publisher.

And yet the guy who you swear by (an Aussie by the way) recommends it.

Loading Video...

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Last_Lap  Online
@Archangel3371 said:

@last_lap: I give my money to developers lots of times. Just not to this one in particular for this particular game. 🤷‍♂️

#DiscerningGamer

That's not what this is all about, if you play it on GP you're giving your money to EA, whereas if you buy the game you're giving it to the developers of the game.

Buying any other game of course gives money to the developer and the publisher, here there is a clear-cut line where the money is going and you're choosing to give the multi-billion dollar company money instead of the creators of the game, but like I said it doesn't surprise me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@Archangel3371 said:

@Pedro: Very concerned. It keeps me up at night. 😅

#DiscerningGamer

It is deeply concerning, but playing on Gamepass would ease the restless nights.😂

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Archangel3371

@last_lap: Um, yeah I kind of figured on it meaning exactly that. Not my problem. Don’t want to buy this game. Just playing it via Game Pass works for me though. 🤷‍♂️

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371

@Pedro: May have to play some of it tonight. Could be a restless night. 😅

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@last_lap: At the time, we couldn't edit polls but now, it seems we can. What do you want to add?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Last_Lap  Online

@davillain: Doesn't matter as I was spelling choose in the title but came out as chose, so no big deal, people know what I meant by it.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap  Online

@Archangel3371: Don't want to buy it yet wants to play it. Sums up the mentality of a Gamepass subscriber nicely 👍

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro
@last_lap said:

@Archangel3371: Don't want to buy it yet wants to play it. Sums up the mentality of a Gamepass subscriber nicely 👍

That is how renting works. 😂

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Archangel3371

@last_lap: Yep. That’s exactly what I said. Should be an easy enough concept to grasp. 🤷‍♂️

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

I'll definitely give the money to EA then. My recommendation. Make better games and better deals.

But if the game is incredible I'll buy a copy.

When you buy a used game you also feel guilty? Do you transfer a sum of money to the developer too?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Last_Lap  Online

@kathaariancode: Do you honestly think that when a dev and a publisher go to the negotiating table to make a game they discuss gamepass at that stage?

Also do you think that a small developer has any bargaining power with a multi billion dollar company that is putting up all the money?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1410 Posts

I'll play it guilt free on game pass

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Last_Lap  Online

@saint-george said:

I'll play it guilt free on game pass

I knew poor-george wouldn't be buying the game, I mean you don't even pay cash for Gamepass.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I liked the game, I feel they are a bit slacking on updates for PC (still no HDR) but I wouldn't mind more money going to the devs.

Honestly there aren't that many singleplayer FPS campaigns anymore, I don't really see why not more people are getting this.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap  Online

@R4gn4r0k: When it comes to Xbox gamers, it looks like they just want to wait for games to come to Gamepass.

Gamepass is slowly killing Xbox because developers are reluctant to put their games on Xbox unless they have some sort of Gamepass deal because of low sales, and I can't blame them.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KathaarianCode

@last_lap: If they are negotiating with a publisher like it's 2010... I mean, they are dealing with EA, which not only has a subscription service but also has ties with gamepass, yet negotiate terms as if subscription services don't exist, then they should do better.

The game didn't exactly reviewed very well. I guess we should blame gamepass for that to.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Last_Lap  Online

@kathaariancode said:

@last_lap: If they are negotiating with a publisher like it's 2010... I mean, they are dealing with EA, which not only has a subscription service but also has ties with gamepass, yet negotiate terms as if subscription services don't exist, then they should do better.

The game didn't exactly reviewed very well. I guess we should blame gamepass for that to.

Its an unknown developer an EA are paying so they hold all the cards. In the end EA could just walk away from the deal without so much as blinking, a small developer can't, are you just going to pretend a small developer has much of a say as they can't afford to walk away from the deal.

Not only that but it wasn't a day 1 Gamepass game, so unless it was going to be a day 1 Gamepass game then why would they even talk about it.

As for its reviews, well a quick Google search shows it got an 8 from the biggest gaming site on the planet in IGN, so it did get some good reviews, it wasn't panned across the board.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KathaarianCode

@last_lap: Again, considering the times we live in and that EA puts many if their games on gamepass, they should definitely have accounted for that. If whoever was negotiating forgot gamepass existed they should be fired.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pedro

@last_lap: Did you buy the game?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@kathaariancode: In addition EA paid for the development of the game according to TC.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@last_lap: everyone is concerned about money. Putting publishers vs developers.. just because one has less money doesn't make developers better people. Money is very important but its just paper beyond a certain point, and a lot of people have their heads up their ass about it to understand that. They dedicate their whole lives to earning money while neglecting everything and everyone else. Frankly its pathetic. Money is very important for sure, but I wouldn't say it's the most important thing. Health is the number 1 thing.

Bottom line. Many developers are just like any other person, wanting money. At some point many of them would probably apply to a job at EA anyways, or some other publisher. Get your heads out of your ass lol. I'd play the game on gamepass or wherever I can get it cheap.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#30  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17908 Posts

The game is now on EA Play and EA Play is part of Game Pass. That is the reason this game is now on Game Pass. As games come to EA Play, they come to Game Pass. There is no separate deal for this game on Game Pass as EA and MS most likely negotiate an annual deal for EA Play as a whole.

As for EA giving 100% of sales of the game to the developer from here on out.... It is because the developer is on life support and this is a way to keep the doors open. EA did not market and push the game much around launch and the developer was not happy about the release window. This seems like a deal in good faith as they are probably prototyping and pitching new ideas to EA. Whether that be a sequel to the game or something else, I am not sure. EA sees value in the relationship with the developer and that is why they are doing this. Either that or EA probably violated some terms of their agreement and this is the settlement that the developer and publisher have now agreed upon.

The developer knew that the game was going to EA Play and Game Pass from the get go and the terms for that were agreed upon long ago. If you want to support the developer more, buy the game.

BTW, I already bought the game before and it is decent. I give it a 6/10. We need more traditional FPS campaigns.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

As @BassMan sums it up perfectly, EA PlayPro & Game Pass are mostly one in the same, Immortals of Avenum is a good FPS game with magic I enjoy as it is an UE5, and while EA marketing was weak, I think the game could have done better had it been released around Fall 2023 and not in August which is a slow month. I'd give Immortals of Avenum a 7/10.

But I'm curious as to why all of a sudden you care about Immortals of Avenum since this is a FPS game and you don't like FPS but in this case, this game doesn't use guns, it uses magic.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Last_Lap  Online

@kathaariancode said:

@last_lap: Again, considering the times we live in and that EA puts many if their games on gamepass, they should definitely have accounted for that. If whoever was negotiating forgot gamepass existed they should be fired.

Not every game goes to Gamepass and we're talking about a no name dev, not a well established one who has some pull.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap  Online

@davillain: I don't hate FPS, that's your assumption. I play them rarely sure, but hate them nah. My tastes have changed over time, I used to play Doom, Duke nukem, Quake etc back in the day. These days a FPS needs to be awesome for me to consider it.

I just prefer TPS now.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Last_Lap  Online
@BassMan said:

The game is now on EA Play and EA Play is part of Game Pass. That is the reason this game is now on Game Pass. As games come to EA Play, they come to Game Pass. There is no separate deal for this game on Game Pass as EA and MS most likely negotiate an annual deal for EA Play as a whole.

As for EA giving 100% of sales of the game to the developer from here on out.... It is because the developer is on life support and this is a way to keep the doors open. EA did not market and push the game much around launch and the developer was not happy about the release window. This seems like a deal in good faith as they are probably prototyping and pitching new ideas to EA. Whether that be a sequel to the game or something else, I am not sure. EA sees value in the relationship with the developer and that is why they are doing this. Either that or EA probably violated some terms of their agreement and this is the settlement that the developer and publisher have now agreed upon.

The developer knew that the game was going to EA Play and Game Pass from the get go and the terms for that were agreed upon long ago. If you want to support the developer more, buy the game.

BTW, I already bought the game before and it is decent. I give it a 6/10. We need more traditional FPS campaigns.

A sensible post from you, colour me shocked, not really, well maybe just a little bit lol.

You do bring up some decent points.

The only one I think your off on is the Gamepass one, not every one of EA's games has gone to Gamepass, so I just don't see that as a talking point right at the start of negotiating the deal . But I guess none of us really know.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KathaarianCode

@last_lap: cool

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Last_Lap  Online

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@last_lap: everyone is concerned about money. Putting publishers vs developers.. just because one has less money doesn't make developers better people. Money is very important but its just paper beyond a certain point, and a lot of people have their heads up their ass about it to understand that. They dedicate their whole lives to earning money while neglecting everything and everyone else. Frankly its pathetic. Money is very important for sure, but I wouldn't say it's the most important thing. Health is the number 1 thing.

Bottom line. Many developers are just like any other person, wanting money. At some point many of them would probably apply to a job at EA anyways, or some other publisher. Get your heads out of your ass lol. I'd play the game on gamepass or wherever I can get it cheap.

Geez dude who are you trying to lecture here me or yourself?

You go on and ramble about how everyone only cares about money and health is number one, then contradict yourself right at the end lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@last_lap said:

@davillain: I don't hate FPS, that's your assumption. I play them rarely sure, but hate them nah. My tastes have changed over time, I used to play Doom, Duke nukem, Quake etc back in the day. These days a FPS needs to be awesome for me to consider it.

I just prefer TPS now.

Then I didn't use the word 'hate' That's your assumption there buddy! Hate is a strong word, I clearly said 'you don't like' meaning you rarely play FPS but don't hate them to dismiss them.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Last_Lap  Online

@davillain: Fair enough. I guess we both made assumptions.

But yeah I just outgrew them as I got older and just play them rarely now, but if you know of one that is great let me know.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22972 Posts

@last_lap said:

Damn can't edit, if a mod could add an extra o the word chose that would be nice lol.

Why can't you edit? Just curious.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap  Online

@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

I wanted to edit the title, because I spelt chose, thought I spelt choose, but there's no edit button, the pop down in the top right just has delete, either that or i'm not seeing it, but like I said to dav it's no big deal.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@last_lap: I didn't contradict anything. You assigned some kind of morality to money, like it even means anything. Money is very important to me, just not the most important thing. I will absolutely shit on everyone to get the cheapest deal. Like I said you don't need to feel sorry for any of these people. Take a good look at any of these developers. They all seem to be eating good unlike lots of people out there that are starving who truly do need our help.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last_Lap  Online

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@last_lap: I didn't contradict anything. You assigned some kind of morality to money, like it even means anything. Money is very important to me, just not the most important thing. I will absolutely shit on everyone to get the cheapest deal. Like I said you don't need to feel sorry for any of these people. Take a good look at any of these developers. They all seem to be eating good unlike lots of people out there that are starving who truly do need our help.

Please stop, we're on a gaming forum. If you wanna talk about feeding the needy you're on the wrong site. And you're preaching about money and how it's not the most important thing and yet you will either play it on Gamepass or on the cheap, thus destroying your own argument that money isn't the most important thing.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blaznwiipspman1

@last_lap: well, whatever lol. We each think we're right, and that's fine. There's probably no right or wrong answer to this anyways.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Last_Lap  Online

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@last_lap: well, whatever lol. We each think we're right, and that's fine. There's probably no right or wrong answer to this anyways.

It's not a matter of wrong or right answer as such. I'm just letting people know that if they want to play the game the money from purchasing the game (currently 65% off on the Xbox store right now, still you can find a cheaper copy on Ebay) will go to the makers of the game and not to EA who already have enough money.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

It's not a game I'm super interested in, so Gamepass for me , If I end up liking it alot might buy it down the line.

EDIT

Off to a bad start... unskippable cutscene at the beginning and highly scripted intro. Vomit. Cows might like this ...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22972 Posts

@last_lap said:
@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

I wanted to edit the title, because I spelt chose, thought I spelt choose, but there's no edit button, the pop down in the top right just has delete, either that or i'm not seeing it, but like I said to dav it's no big deal.

No edit... Hmmm. Do u post using desktop mode on mobile? That's the solution for most. I don't use the mobile version of Gamespot on my phone. Chrome auto switches it for me on my pixel. Desktop mode in browser should give you full editing/posting features.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Last_Lap  Online

@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:
@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

No edit... Hmmm. Do u post using desktop mode on mobile? That's the solution for most. I don't use the mobile version of Gamespot on my phone. Chrome auto switches it for me on my pixel. Desktop mode in browser should give you full editing/posting features.

I don't use desktop on my mobile as everything is too small.

I used my laptop, and yeah the pop down just has delete.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blaznwiipspman1

@last_lap: the workers get paid either way...so what exactly is your point? Seems you have a hate boner for EA. Though, I agree they do deserve it for milking their shitty franchises.

End of the day, things don't matter. People are people. The same people who are working at the small publisher would love to work at EA and double their income. In fact many of the workers at EA cut their teeth as indie developers. So if it's all the same gamepass or bust.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blaznwiipspman1

@BassMan: when you're not making shitty anti woke posts or dumb posts about steam deck / handheld pc or the dumb pc master race nonsense, your posts are actually insightful.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts

Yeah EA wants their money back fast and cut support. EA put the game both on PS+ and Gamepass in space of a month. The studio need to rely on PC sales as console sales evaporated with these subscription offers.