Square Enix announced they will abandon the production of previously greenlit HD games (console games).

• 76 results
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#51 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts
@st_monica said:

@texasgoldrush:

Except FF7Rebirth is the 4th best-selling game in the U.S. so far in 2024, despite being a single-platform exclusive.

Visions of Mana could be the best selling Mana game of all time due to the quality.

Yet Square Enix stock price has risen 6% after the "sad news" as investors saw growth potential.

I don't get why texasgoldrush keeps praying for the downfall of Square Enix? Even if he hates FF, he's a fan of Dragon Quest and Life is Strange. The fall of Square Enix would spell doom for those franchises.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

While personally not a fan of their titles as they fall into the stereotypical "Japanese game" aesthetic (which I just don't like, sorry not sorry), I feel for all the fans that do enjoy their games. Kind of shitty.

All this says to me (admittedly someone with no business experience) is that they need to make more games, with smaller budgets, and reasonable expectations. Not everything has to be "AAA" or a "banger". Good enough is good enough. Hell, sometimes good can be better than great (don't ask me how).

They also need to stop doing the exclusively on one console thing. They could have easily doubled their profits had they just done a bit more work and ported FF7 Rebirth to PC as well.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

@Jag85: Yeah, I don't get it either, haha.

Anyway, let's hope for his sake that the canceled games are not new DQ or LIS games, but something else like Eidos related as you speculated.

BTW, I recently read an interview with Kitase and he said that they made FF7Rebirth in only about 3 years. The current Square Enix has changed a lot from what they were when they spent 10 years on FF15 lol. That's another reason why I'm optimistic about their strategy of focusing on high quality games.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14926 Posts

@st_monica said:

@Jag85: Yeah, I don't get it either, haha.

Anyway, let's hope for his sake that the canceled games are not new DQ or LIS games, but something else like Eidos related as you speculated.

BTW, I recently read an interview with Kitase and he said that they made FF7Rebirth in only about 3 years. The current Square Enix has changed a lot from what they were when they spent 10 years on FF15 lol. That's another reason why I'm optimistic about their strategy of focusing on high quality games.

Some DQ games should have been cancelled actually, like the manga game.

LIS is not developed by SquareEnix directly, but by Deck Nine, and the franchise is still strong and the next game is being developed right now.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 texasgoldrush

@st_monica: Except the underlying numbers show a weak performance.

There has been no major release outside Helldivers II and Dragon's Dogma 2 this year, and both beat FFVII Rebirth, and comparing the sales to other FF games show a weaker launch.

Investors are wrong a lot of times.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1258 Posts

They should remake FF13, and split each one in the trilogy into 2 -3 titles .

Can't fail.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 texasgoldrush

@my_user_name said:

Can't fail.

FFXIII was already in three parts and it failed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#58 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@my_user_name said:

Can't fail.

FFXIII was already in three parts and it failed.

No, they need to make each part three parts.😏

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Dragon Quest remakes are the only games I cared about, so I'm actually not exactly upset to hear this. I'd rather they work on new IPs and existing franchises rather than an endless amount of games we've already played.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

@texasgoldrush:

However, Square Enix still owns the IP/publishing rights to the LIS franchise. In other words, they have the same right to cancel the LIS game in development as they have to cancel a DQ manga spin-off.

Except that an estimated sales of more than 2M in the first month or so is a pretty solid performance, and FF7Rebirth could already be profitable enough for the company. Never mind that it was made cost-effectively in less than half the development time of other recent FF titles, including FF7Remake.

Or maybe the investors are right and you are wrong. At the very least, the FF14 expansion alone, like previous expansions, is expected to be far more profitable in the long run than "major releases" like Hell Diver II or Dragon's Dogma 2.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Sony's money must taste really good for Square Enix

So good in fact that they completely stopped making games xD

they make more money on none ff ip in manga/anime dept.

issue is now sony vertical stack said market right near the monopoly line.

I care not for other people's fetishes.

lol. but that the reason they can make games is due to said dept. it funds them

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 texasgoldrush

@st_monica said:

@texasgoldrush:

However, Square Enix still owns the IP/publishing rights to the LIS franchise. In other words, they have the same right to cancel the LIS game in development as they have to cancel a DQ manga spin-off.

Except that an estimated sales of more than 2M in the first month or so is a pretty solid performance, and FF7Rebirth could already be profitable enough for the company. Never mind that it was made cost-effectively in less than half the development time of other recent FF titles, including FF7Remake.

Or maybe the investors are right and you are wrong. At the very least, the FF14 expansion alone, like previous expansions, is expected to be far more profitable in the long run than "major releases" like Hell Diver II or Dragon's Dogma 2.

Yeah, they have publishing rights and they are killing the franchise because they do not know how to handle it. They have already drive Don't Nod from the franchise and now they are competing against the franchise they created.

That is simply not solid for a Final Fantasy game, it is atrocious. The series is losing it's audience and it shows. That is not good.

Or that investors can be wrong as they often are. The next report could be brutal.

SquareEnix needs to be making major changes to their business, not just cut and refocus games. Their games simply put, are not gaining audience.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jag85
@texasgoldrush said:
@st_monica said:

@texasgoldrush:

Yeah, they have publishing rights and they are killing the franchise because they do not know how to handle it. They have already drive Don't Nod from the franchise and now they are competing against the franchise they created.

That is simply not solid for a Final Fantasy game, it is atrocious. The series is losing it's audience and it shows. That is not good.

Or that investors can be wrong as they often are. The next report could be brutal.

SquareEnix needs to be making major changes to their business, not just cut and refocus games. Their games simply put, are not gaining audience.

Let's be real, Don't Nod were nobodies before Square Enix discovered them. Without Square Enix, they'd probably end up irrelevant just like Eidos after Square Enix sold them off... Also, how can they be "competing against" their own franchise?

Her point still stands that Rebirth is profitable, regardless of whether it under-performed.

Investors wouldn't just waste money investing shares in a company they didn't have confidence in.

But those Square Enix games include Dragon Quest and Life is Strange, two IPs that you yourself are a fan of. If Square Enix falls, two of your favourite IPs fall along with them. Wishing for their downfall is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Jag85
@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

The biggest Square Enix manga is Full Metal Alchemist... So a metal fetish?!

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@st_monica said:

@texasgoldrush:

Let's be real, Don't Nod were nobodies before Square Enix discovered them. Without Square Enix, they'd probably end up irrelevant just like Eidos after Square Enix sold them off... Also, how can they be "competing against" their own franchise?

Her point still stands that Rebirth is profitable, regardless of whether it under-performed.

Investors wouldn't just waste money investing shares in a company they didn't have confidence in.

But those Square Enix games include Dragon Quest and Life is Strange, two IPs that you yourself are a fan of. If Square Enix falls, two of your favourite IPs fall along with them. Wishing for their downfall is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Except Square does not own Dragon Quest, Horii does. And Life is Strange could easily be sold, and it should. And really if SquareEnix collapses, others would get the franchises anyway. And Don't Nod is releasing a successor franchise, Lost Records, that could compete with Life is Strange.

Profitable, but not profitable enough.

And many times, investors are overconfident and they pay for it. They overinflated CDPR stock for example.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 firedrakes

@Jag85 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

yes. but they also do a lot of manga pub to in japan.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46484 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Since people were in love with the twins, I'd actually believe that :p

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 firedrakes

how do you know my gfs?

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Jag85 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jag85
@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@st_monica said:

@texasgoldrush:

Except Square does not own Dragon Quest, Horii does. And Life is Strange could easily be sold, and it should. And really if SquareEnix collapses, others would get the franchises anyway. And Don't Nod is releasing a successor franchise, Lost Records, that could compete with Life is Strange.

And many times, investors are overconfident and they pay for it. They overinflated CDPR stock for example.

When Square Enix sold off Eidos to Embracer, I'm sure you must've been celebrating... Yet that backfired. Embracer mismanaged Eidos, leading to the collapse of Eidos and now its franchises are dead in the water.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jag85

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Jag85 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

All I know about Atomic Heart is metal waifus.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 firedrakes

@Jag85 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Jag85 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@firedrakes said:

All I know about Atomic Heart is metal waifus.

dam straight

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

The ship is about to sink

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 texasgoldrush

@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@st_monica said:

@texasgoldrush:

When Square Enix sold off Eidos to Embracer, I'm sure you must've been celebrating... Yet that backfired. Embracer mismanaged Eidos, leading to the collapse of Eidos and now its franchises are dead in the water.

Yet SquareEnix helped lead to Deus Ex's downfall. It wasn't just Embracer.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Jag85

@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:

Yet SquareEnix helped lead to Deus Ex's downfall. It wasn't just Embracer.

How so?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 texasgoldrush

@Jag85: By how the release of Mankind Divided was treated.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jag85

@texasgoldrush: How was it treated?