Its not arguable. Games are not art. Not on the same level as movies/books.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TidusIsBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TidusIsBest
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts
Listen, I love games. i have been playing for 15 years. I am 23 Now. Not an older generation who doesnt understand games. I probably play games more than 95 percent of the people on this site. Now that thats out of the way: It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not. The huge difference between movies, books, and games, is that games degrade in time in some form. Movies and books dont. Movies and books are the same quality the day they came out. With games, they degrade in some form, although in most cases, they age very badly, especially 3d games. Go back and play a lot of psone,n64, ps2 games. They are not the same quality they were on release. A lot of games are heart breaking to see how bad they are now, compared to when you were a kid. Graphics get worse. Gameplay in most cases degrades. Even the games considered the greatest of all time, their age has dminished their quality. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye....etc. They are not the mind blowing quality they were on release. It so sad that the way games work, it has to be this way. They Re based on technology, and technology becomes outdated. It does break my heart that games degrade by default. I wish this didnt happen. The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me. I would like you all to share your feelings as well please. Thanks.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It is my opinion video games are a form of artistic expression. Just because future games will feature better mechanics and graphics than games of today does not mean they lose value.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

hi

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Huh? Of course films and books age. Things that seemed like great special effects when they came out way back when don't seem so great nowadays. Cultural attitudes and values change. Pop in West Side Story and listen to all the dated lingo. Crack open Frankenstein and read all the extraordinarily flowery "nobody talks like this" dialogue. Look up the old Star Trek and see how cheap the special effects look.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Clearly it is arguable, since you bothered posting about it...
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Also, the idea that "it degrades, therefore it isn't art" is absolutely silly. What about art forms like live performance or dance? Those certainly don't "last" in that once it's performed, it's done unless it's performed again, and every performance (or at least production) is going to be different. By that standard is live theatre not art?
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
games are art they fit somewhere well below film/literature and well above things like dance
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is 10 years old and it hasn't aged a day. Games that put priority on art direction over raw graphical power do that.

Firmaments

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Firmaments
Member since 2013 • 83 Posts

Yes, because black and white movies alongside early color movies haven't aged in a similar way? Right?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Games like MGS3 and Bioshock are, without a doubt.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is 10 years old and it hasn't aged a day. Games that put priority on art direction over raw graphical power do that.

scoots9
Yes, as is Super mario 64, which he mentioned. The timeless argument also applies to other forms of art. Just because there's Justin Bieber and Beethoven making music, doesn't mean that Bieber's crappy music makes all music such as Beethoven's any worse. Same thing with video games, not all games are great, but that doesn't make it any less of an art form.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

So your only measure of art in games is visual? What of the story? Games are pretty young as an art form, you've barely giving it any time to mature, before damning it as "non-art". And even then, there are 3d games that their beauty will be timeless, Journey being one of them.

And film is pretty damn overrated, being so short by nature, they can't easily tell much of a story; it's like a haiku compared to a novel. Yes, they have the best visual style/budget per second, but it's still hugely limited otherwise.

Iceozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Iceozo
Member since 2009 • 6441 Posts

Films once weren't considered art.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

OP is dum.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
If games are not art then paintings, movies, sculptures and music is not art either.
MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
tldr... but clearly it is arguable, as so many people argue it.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShadowJax04
[QUOTE="TidusIsBest"] The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me.

Unlike painting, sculptures, movies, music and casette players / CD's? These things degrade over time as well. The different items we store data on so we can play them and listen to the music. Hell instruments degrade over time. Special effects in movies degrade over time.
C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts
I think the subject is pretty complicated. I think the more degree of freedom that you give a player in the videogame the less art it becomes. I mean, I guess an open world sandbox game can be considered a blank canvas, the person painting on the canvas isn't the artwork, but the videogames purpose is for him to interact with the canvas, it's not looking to express it's own feelings, it's looking to express the users. A person that sells canvases isn't an artist, but a person that fills it in is.
MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MuD3

I think the subject is pretty complicated. I think the more degree of freedom that you give a player in the videogame the less art it becomes. I mean, I guess an open world sandbox game can be considered a blank canvas, the person painting on the canvas isn't the artwork, but the videogames purpose is for him to interact with the canvas, it's not looking to express it's own feelings, it's looking to express the users. A person that sells canvases isn't an artist, but a person that fills it in is.C_Glass

even in the most open world of games the user has very little input on the world. it's still the game maker that decides every possible thing you could do and makes it possible for you to do that. you may be pushing the buttons but you aren't actually changing anything in that world.  

also, story is still not open in open world games....  

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

They are a form of graphic design, which is art.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Are movies and books only art as you have no control over the product?

Aren't games art as the creators worked you into their masterpiece?

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 C_Glass

[QUOTE="C_Glass"]I think the subject is pretty complicated. I think the more degree of freedom that you give a player in the videogame the less art it becomes. I mean, I guess an open world sandbox game can be considered a blank canvas, the person painting on the canvas isn't the artwork, but the videogames purpose is for him to interact with the canvas, it's not looking to express it's own feelings, it's looking to express the users. A person that sells canvases isn't an artist, but a person that fills it in is.MuD3

even in the most open world of games the user has very little input on the world. it's still the game maker that decides every possible thing you could do and makes it possible for you to do that. you may be pushing the buttons but you aren't actually changing anything in that world.  

But that's not the intent of the game, it's intent is for the player to explore, forge his own path, and play the game as he see's fit. The stories are there but they're not the emphasis, which is why open sandbox games generally have pretty bad storylines.  

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MuD3

[QUOTE="MuD3"]

[QUOTE="C_Glass"]I think the subject is pretty complicated. I think the more degree of freedom that you give a player in the videogame the less art it becomes. I mean, I guess an open world sandbox game can be considered a blank canvas, the person painting on the canvas isn't the artwork, but the videogames purpose is for him to interact with the canvas, it's not looking to express it's own feelings, it's looking to express the users. A person that sells canvases isn't an artist, but a person that fills it in is.C_Glass

But that's not the intent of the game, it's intent is for the player to explore, forge his own path, and play the game as he see's fit. The stories are there but they're not the emphasis, which is why open sandbox games generally have pretty bad storylines.  

nothing you said negates my point... the only thing an open world games accomplishes is the illusion of control. everything you could possibly do was already thought up by the game makers and the only reason you can do them is because they made it so you could do that.

you don't "forge your own path" you choose which path, that has already been forged, to go down first.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Glass"]

[QUOTE="MuD3"]

MuD3

nothing you said negates my point... the only thing an open world games accomplishes is the illusion of control. everything you could possibly do was already thought up by the game makers and the only reason you can do them is because they made it so you could do that.

you don't "forge your own path" you choose which path, that has already been forged, to go down first.

That's why mods exist, my friend. Anyone can add to the canvas.

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 C_Glass

[QUOTE="C_Glass"]

[QUOTE="MuD3"]

MuD3

The choiecs are limited by what the devs chose yes, but they are choices nonetheless, which is the sandboxes point. If at any point in the sandbox you chose to hike up trail A, instead of Trail B, for whatever reason, you're living the games point. A strict narrative would limit you to Trail A, because the story has a specific thing that it wants to express to the player. That is the art of the game, it's intent.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

I think that even if you don't think that video games today could be considered as art, its current state could pave the way for that years down the road..

TidusIsBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TidusIsBest
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

I think that even if you don't think that video games today could be considered as art, its current state could pave the way for that years down the road..

Wolf-Man2006
The time will only come when: 1) All Video game graphics will not seem dated in the future and cannot be improved 2) All video game gameplay mechanics will not feel dated in the future, and cannot be improved A video game has to be 100% the same quality in 100 years, as it was on it's release day. Books and film remain as enjoyable today as the were in the 1930's. Until games can do the same, they cannot be art in my eyes. Every 3d video game in history has become worse in some way since release. When can games get over this hurdle, and join books and film with undiminished quality with time? I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Flower, Journey and Heavy Rain want a word with you kiddo.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
I bet anyone can crank up an old Pacman game and still see the brilliance out of it. C'mon maaaan.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Sorry guy, this is totally incorrect. Art in itself is a creative means of expression. Video games encompass both the art of visual, and the art of tones. Even one step further, it takes both of those and makes it interactive with the viewer. It's not just art- it's pretty amazing art when you think about it. 

Even if you don't want to think about it- um, video games are visual creations. So are pictures. So are movies. Whats the difference? 

How is this even arguable? Music, art, film, photo, whatever- its all entertainment media, all artistic media.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolf-Man2006"]

TidusIsBest

The time will only come when: 1) All Video game graphics will not seem dated in the future and cannot be improved 2) All video game gameplay mechanics will not feel dated in the future, and cannot be improved A video game has to be 100% the same quality in 100 years, as it was on it's release day. Books and film remain as enjoyable today as the were in the 1930's. Until games can do the same, they cannot be art in my eyes. Every 3d video game in history has become worse in some way since release. When can games get over this hurdle, and join books and film with undiminished quality with time? I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes.

Have you played Heavy Rain? Journey? Talk about interactive movies.

And lol, seriously? Movies don't degrade? You actually like 40's films and Walter Matthau? No way. Don't bullsh*t me. Visual fidelity has increased by an insane amount. 

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Games are definitely art... on the same level as movies and books.

It's definitely not possible to argue otherwise, at least not with solid arguments that won't resulti in placing arbitrary restraints on art, and won't attempt to define art by non-essentials.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
there are some hurdles
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
this is crazy talk. of course they're art.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Games are art, deal with it :).

Movies don't age?  Music doesn't age?  the only thing that doesn't age in a technical sense is books, cause there is no audio or video.  Please don't be rediculous.  How can games NOT be art when there is music, drawing, story, and more in it?  of course they are (can be) art.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Games are apparantly the only medium where a product of hundreds of hours of artists, designers, animators, and musicians combine into something that isn't art.
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
You actually like 40's films? No way. Don't bullsh*t me.Shmiity
how cute
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Regardless of your feeling on the subject this thread bacame null when Tc used the books,movies,music do not age and never degrade. Silly tc, art debates are for adults.....
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Video games as art is like art paintings from the dark ages. The best art I seem in a game so far is DmC. Soul Sacrifice is artistically unique. Video games could be so much more if they focus on the art of it instead of trying to make every game realistic. Super Mario for snes is better art than call of duty.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts
don't tell me Freddy Got Fingered is art and games aren't; that's horse shit
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Agreed. Video games are entertainment that require quite a bit of talent and craftmanship, but they most certainly are not art. 

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

2013-03-26_00008.jpg

I rest my case.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
One of my favorite examples for this debate, is the Shadow of the Colossus. Timeless classic, hasn't aged from the first day I played it, to a few weeks ago.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Those movies and books that are considered timeless happened by chance to have been made at exactly the right time and place to gain popularity over time. Many of them were not popular until long after they were made. Herman Melville's works were not appreciated during his time, and he was almost completely forgotten when he died. Somehow, he wrote one of the most famous books in history (Moby Dick). It is appreciated as art now, but nobody knew or cared about his works while he was around. Art is timeless because society makes it timeless. Art is something that influences society in some way, whether at the time of its inception or a hundred years after the artist dies. Pacman has been a part of our culture since it was first made. If that's not art then I don't know what is.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ShadowJax04

Sorry guy, this is totally incorrect. Art in itself is a creative means of expression. Video games encompass both the art of visual, and the art of tones. Even one step further, it takes both of those and makes it interactive with the viewer. It's not just art- it's pretty amazing art when you think about it. 

Even if you don't want to think about it- um, video games are visual creations. So are pictures. So are movies. Whats the difference? 

How is this even arguable? Music, art, film, photo, whatever- its all entertainment media, all artistic media.

Shmiity
Ding ding ding.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
[QUOTE="TidusIsBest"] It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not.

Then the games you like are shallow. I still enjoy the same games I was playing 25 years ago.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
games are basically movies these days so either count both or neither personally i'm happy as long as books stay
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
This is a pretty bad argument you make, TC. Of course books and movies age. Of all the reasons I have heard for games not being art, this is by far the weakest. Also, you really need to read over what you type. You pretty much just said the same one or two sentences over and over with little explanation.