Its not arguable. Games are not art. Not on the same level as movies/books.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I prefer games, movies and books that have a good storyline. Dragon Quest IV, for example, had a storyline that was so good that I had to play through it in order to get to the end. Some people prefer shooters (much like some people prefer action movies or adventure books). Some prefer puzzle games (or mysteries).

The point I'm trying to make is that a game can sometimes be better than a book or movie because you get to interact with the story. The outcome isn't set in stone like books and movies (or art for that matter). In some games you get to pick your hero (or heroine), the way they will go, who they will take - and the outcome will change based on your choices.

So are games art? Who the hell knows? I do know that good games, like good books and movies make for a pleasant couple of hours. I have several games that I have played over and over for years (much like reading my favorite books).

So to me, it's an art like any other.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Listen, I love games. i have been playing for 15 years. I am 23 Now. Not an older generation who doesnt understand games. I probably play games more than 95 percent of the people on this site. Now that thats out of the way: It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not. The huge difference between movies, books, and games, is that games degrade in time in some form. Movies and books dont. Movies and books are the same quality the day they came out. With games, they degrade in some form, although in most cases, they age very badly, especially 3d games. Go back and play a lot of psone,n64, ps2 games. They are not the same quality they were on release. A lot of games are heart breaking to see how bad they are now, compared to when you were a kid. Graphics get worse. Gameplay in most cases degrades. Even the games considered the greatest of all time, their age has dminished their quality. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye....etc. They are not the mind blowing quality they were on release. It so sad that the way games work, it has to be this way. They Re based on technology, and technology becomes outdated. It does break my heart that games degrade by default. I wish this didnt happen. The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me. I would like you all to share your feelings as well please. Thanks.TidusIsBest

Are you telling me that The Room is art?  How about trashy romance novels?

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Anyone who says films are a form of art and games aren't are just being hypocrites. What's a movie? It's a media format that's purpose is often (but not always) to tell a fictional story to its viewers. It tells its story through the fictional characters that reside in its setting (a setting that in itself is often fictional). A good movie will have these characters take part in events designed to provoke the human emotions inside the viewers via good cinematography and often accompanied with a fitting soundtrack.

Now tell me please. How is that any different to a well written story driven game? The only difference is a game requires human input while a movie does not. So does that alone declassify it as art? I certainly don't think so.

In the more literal sense of the word "art", games such as Journey fit the description perfectly.

To say games don't contain any form of art isn't even an opinion, it's just flat out incorrect.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolf-Man2006"]

I think that even if you don't think that video games today could be considered as art, its current state could pave the way for that years down the road..

TidusIsBest

The time will only come when: 1) All Video game graphics will not seem dated in the future and cannot be improved 2) All video game gameplay mechanics will not feel dated in the future, and cannot be improved A video game has to be 100% the same quality in 100 years, as it was on it's release day. Books and film remain as enjoyable today as the were in the 1930's. Until games can do the same, they cannot be art in my eyes. Every 3d video game in history has become worse in some way since release. When can games get over this hurdle, and join books and film with undiminished quality with time? I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes.

Are you even addressing any of the arguments made against you? If video games will only be art when: "All Video game graphics will not seem dated in the future and cannot be improved" then the same should apply to movies. Movies will only be considered art when special effects will not seem dated in the future. In addition to this, are animated movies not art by your standards? I'm curious to see your answer to this. 

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Tropictrain

Also you may argue that the lack of quality special effects, lack of colour, lack of hd quality, etc do not detract from your enjoyment of the movie. But dated gameplay or graphics do not detract from the enjoyment of many of us either. I personally have a hard time enjoying old movies from the 30's and 40's. But I still love playing Pacman. Personal enjoyment is subjective and you cannot base its classification as art off of that. All forms of art continue to evolve.

I have personally written and directed plays for the stage. These were low budget productions with limited special effects. Therefore they were not as visually exciting as a performance on Broadway. Does this mean they aren't art? To me, art is about conveying emotion or delivering a message. (This is a highly simplistic definition but I'm not about to offer a decisive definition. Art critics all over the world are still struggling with that one.) The quality of the special effects or visuals is irrelevant. I also believe that the more interactive the medium the more effective it is. This is why I love live theatre because of its ability to engage the audience more than films ever could. Video games also have that advantage. 

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

I've seen and done things in games that numb me to anything a film could show me. However, I suspect you are just playing the wrong games, or developers are making them poorly because video games are art by definition alone dude.

Games that don't sacrifice artistic integrity for action based sequences will always win awards for their execution and art style. I never played Metal Gear Solid 4 but I think it stands to reason that the game was constantly trying to convey a message using distinctive and well directed art styles and if it wasn't art what was it?

I get scared by a scary game, where a scary film just bores me... Both are art but if we were to take one of the three out of the art catagory dude, it wouldn't be video games. Out of a film, a video game and a book, the one which can be most tenuously described as art is the book. But it is still art. Just my opinion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="TidusIsBest"]Listen, I love games. i have been playing for 15 years. I am 23 Now. Not an older generation who doesnt understand games. I probably play games more than 95 percent of the people on this site. Now that thats out of the way: It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not. The huge difference between movies, books, and games, is that games degrade in time in some form. Movies and books dont. Movies and books are the same quality the day they came out. With games, they degrade in some form, although in most cases, they age very badly, especially 3d games. Go back and play a lot of psone,n64, ps2 games. They are not the same quality they were on release. A lot of games are heart breaking to see how bad they are now, compared to when you were a kid. Graphics get worse. Gameplay in most cases degrades. Even the games considered the greatest of all time, their age has dminished their quality. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye....etc. They are not the mind blowing quality they were on release. It so sad that the way games work, it has to be this way. They Re based on technology, and technology becomes outdated. It does break my heart that games degrade by default. I wish this didnt happen. The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me. I would like you all to share your feelings as well please. Thanks.

See, the problem here is that you're focusing on the novelty rather than the essential experience. Many great old movies were in black and white not for artistic reasons but because black and white film was the only viable option. The fact that color later became standard didn't really diminish the black and white classics. CGI is constantly getting better, but something like Jurassic Park (released in freaking 1993) far surpasses any of its successors. ASnd yeah...I realize that much of Jurassic Park was models and not CGI, but the fact remains. JP4 might very well look better than the original movie, but it's very unlikely that the aged effects are gonna be that much of an issue. Keep in mind, I'm not saying that games are an art form on par with movies or books. I'm NOT even saying that games are particularly good and that the novelty aspect isn't a factor with games. But I don't think you're being fair. People didn't just play Contra because it looked good, people played it because it was f***ing FUN. Sure games age. But movies age too. The poor effects and costumes in the first two Alien movies didn't stop those movies from being a hell of a lot better than everything that came afterwards. The fact that far more technically impressive Contra games were released later didn't stop people from still favoring the early Contra games. Games are art. They might not be particularly GOOD art, but they art and they function as art. That is to say, tech absolutely DOES matter, but it's only a tool for realizing the creator's vision. I'm sure that Stanley Kubrick would have LOVED to have current technology when making 2001: A Space Odyssey, but he didn't have it. So he worked with what he had and he created a masterpiece that will be remembered long after decades of technically superior sci-fi movies have faded from memory. The exact same thing happens to games. Because while gaming is heavily oriented on novelties and new tech, it's impossible to argue that the technology overrides the creative input of the people involved. Most games are crap, most movies are crap, most books are crap. And aside from books (since they're basically just text), the technology is CONSTANTLY progressing while most of the people using the new technology are failing to remain relevant. That's ABSOLUTELY a sign that the novelty and the new tech, while beneficial, aren't a substitute for proper art and design decisions.
PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Anything we create to appeal to the senses is considered art. Video games are not just art, they have the potential to be the most powerful and impactful method of storytelling there is.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
zuma jones?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Films degrade as well. Picture and sound quality becomes outdated and CGI is getting better (but still nowhere near good enough) 

Do you really think that films like Transformers will be talked about in 20 years? There are lots of games that aren't really art, just like there are lots of films that aren't really art. 

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#62 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Meh, I agree to an extent. There are some artsy games out there but for the most part video game as an "art form" is just stupid. Hell, books and movies as an "art" form are just as dumb; even music, I'd say. Art is the only form of art form.

I will say, though, in the hands of an excellent developer, games can probably surpass at the very least cinemas in terms of story telling.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I disagree, strongly. Okami HD is a work of art in my opinion and one of the most beautiful and unique experiences to be found in gaming.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
If all games are art, than so is Ludo and Checkers.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#65 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

If all games are art, than so is Ludo and Checkers.m25105

I would even go as far as to say CoD is a form of art. The enviroments created in it, the characters and the music all come together to form one piece.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 m25105
Look folks, games are just toys. That's it. Stop trying to convince people or yourselves that you enjoy your pastime artistically and just flat out admit that you enjoy playing with toys. "I'm an adult and I like building model airplanes" "I'm an adult and I enjoy playing games". It's the exact same thing, yet for some reason, there's this negative stigma that playing games is childish. Well I like that it's childish and that I get to engage in a game where a whole new fantasy world is exposed to me. It's called having fun with my toys, either playing alone or with friends (multiplayer).
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Look folks, games are just toys. That's it. Stop trying to convince people or yourselves that you enjoy your pastime artistically and just flat out admit that you enjoy playing with toys. "I'm an adult and I like building model airplanes" "I'm an adult and I enjoy playing games". It's the exact same thing, yet for some reason, there's this negative stigma that playing games is childish. Well I like that it's childish and that I get to engage in a game where a whole new fantasy world is exposed to me. It's called having fun with my toys, either playing alone or with friends (multiplayer).m25105
So how are games less of an art form than films? Are you saying Jack and Jill has better story telling than Grim Fandango or Planescape?

It seems game developers actually put more attention to detail than most film producers. Games like Bioshock are full of posters and other bits of scenery, all designed by talented artists.

Games are as much art as films. Like I said before there are games that aren't good art and there are films that aren't good either. 

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I've had more fun with games than I ever had looking at a painting. Whether they're art or not isn't something I deem important, and neither should anyone else who enjoys playing games.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"]Look folks, games are just toys. That's it. Stop trying to convince people or yourselves that you enjoy your pastime artistically and just flat out admit that you enjoy playing with toys. "I'm an adult and I like building model airplanes" "I'm an adult and I enjoy playing games". It's the exact same thing, yet for some reason, there's this negative stigma that playing games is childish. Well I like that it's childish and that I get to engage in a game where a whole new fantasy world is exposed to me. It's called having fun with my toys, either playing alone or with friends (multiplayer).toast_burner

So how are games less of an art form than films? Are you saying Jack and Jill has better story telling than Grim Fandango or Planescape?

It seems game developers actually put more attention to detail than most film producers. Games like Bioshock are full of posters and other bits of scenery, all designed by talented artists.

Games are as much art as films. Like I said before there are games that aren't good art and there are films that aren't good either. 

When you watch a film, you just sit there and do nothing and watch what has been presented to you. A game, like a toy, is interactive. I can decide what I want to do with it; whether it's moving to the right or to the left. I haven't watched Jack and Jill, so I don't know what that is. What I do know is that films aren't interactive, and if you wanna bring up the paint job in games (cause honestly that's what it all boils down to) than we might as well call Chess art too, cause some dude carved the pieces in a certain form.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

OP is wrong on so many levels I literally CFB to answer. 

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#71 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Silent Hill 2 begs to differ

silent-hill-2.jpeg

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Games go beyond books and movies.This thread is a failure.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="m25105"]Look folks, games are just toys. That's it. Stop trying to convince people or yourselves that you enjoy your pastime artistically and just flat out admit that you enjoy playing with toys. "I'm an adult and I like building model airplanes" "I'm an adult and I enjoy playing games". It's the exact same thing, yet for some reason, there's this negative stigma that playing games is childish. Well I like that it's childish and that I get to engage in a game where a whole new fantasy world is exposed to me. It's called having fun with my toys, either playing alone or with friends (multiplayer).m25105

When you watch a film, you just sit there and do nothing and watch what has been presented to you. A game, like a toy, is interactive. I can decide what I want to do with it; whether it's moving to the right or to the left.

That argument doesn't mean anything. There are forms of theatre that are interactive. Does something become "not art" when it becomes interactive? Is a musical cadenza art to the listener who passively takes it in but not to the performer who improvises it? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

People make up extraordinarily arbitrary definitions for what is and isn't art.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="m25105"]Look folks, games are just toys. That's it. Stop trying to convince people or yourselves that you enjoy your pastime artistically and just flat out admit that you enjoy playing with toys. "I'm an adult and I like building model airplanes" "I'm an adult and I enjoy playing games". It's the exact same thing, yet for some reason, there's this negative stigma that playing games is childish. Well I like that it's childish and that I get to engage in a game where a whole new fantasy world is exposed to me. It's called having fun with my toys, either playing alone or with friends (multiplayer).m25105

When you watch a film, you just sit there and do nothing and watch what has been presented to you. A game, like a toy, is interactive. I can decide what I want to do with it; whether it's moving to the right or to the left. I haven't watched Jack and Jill, so I don't know what that is. What I do know is that films aren't interactive, and if you wanna bring up the paint job in games (cause honestly that's what it all boils down to) than we might as well call Chess art too, cause some dude carved the pieces in a certain form.

Why does interactivity disqualify games as being art? It could also be argued that books are interactive too since you have to turn pages to read them, either way both books and games tell (almost) the exact same story every time.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]So how are games less of an art form than films? Are you saying Jack and Jill has better story telling than Grim Fandango or Planescape?

General_X

Why does interactivity disqualify games as being art? It could also be argued that books are interactive too since you have to turn pages to read them, either way both books and games tell (almost) the exact same story every time.

I'm sorry, but how does video games being interactive make them less artistic? I'd argue that it makes them more artistic and opens up more new ways to tell stories.

And if you're going to use the argument that games are just toys, then that means books are just random characters form the Latin alphabet on a piece of paper compiled into a stack of said papers and movies are just a bunch of pictures put together to give the impression that there is movement happening on the screen and it has audio set over it. See? Anyone can play this game.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#76 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Listen, I love games. i have been playing for 15 years. I am 23 Now. Not an older generation who doesnt understand games. I probably play games more than 95 percent of the people on this site. Now that thats out of the way: It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not. The huge difference between movies, books, and games, is that games degrade in time in some form. Movies and books dont. Movies and books are the same quality the day they came out. With games, they degrade in some form, although in most cases, they age very badly, especially 3d games. Go back and play a lot of psone,n64, ps2 games. They are not the same quality they were on release. A lot of games are heart breaking to see how bad they are now, compared to when you were a kid. Graphics get worse. Gameplay in most cases degrades. Even the games considered the greatest of all time, their age has dminished their quality. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye....etc. They are not the mind blowing quality they were on release. It so sad that the way games work, it has to be this way. They Re based on technology, and technology becomes outdated. It does break my heart that games degrade by default. I wish this didnt happen. The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me. I would like you all to share your feelings as well please. Thanks.TidusIsBest

There are so many movies that age poorly, and there are many that do so strictly because of graphics technology becoming outdated. Go back and watch a silent movie, then tell me you don't have to appreciate the time to appreciate the work. Same with many novels that are written in old english or whatever, they require appreciation of things other than the work itself to enjoy. That argument holds as much water as a fire.

Something's quality is purely subjective,  a video game has the capacity to tell a story just as well as any movie and most books. It's not about graphics.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
It is my opinion, as a 3D artist, that TC don't know what art is. Would you say american pie is art just because it is a movie? No. Is 99 ways to stick barbwire through your face art because it is a book? No. Can Citizen Kain be considered art? Can hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy be considered art? If yes, why can't MEtal Gear solid be considered art? Because the graphical fidelity isn't up to the standards of the presence? If so, then any painting painted before the teachings of perspective shuld not be considered art. Any movie before the knowledge about temporal shift should not be considered art. As a 3D artist I put my all into the models I make and the textures I paint for them. I make it from my mind, with my hands and with an expression and an idea. Why could this not be considered as art? If I make a game the expresses an idea, just like a movie, a book, a painting or a song, why can't it be considered as art?
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="TidusIsBest"]Listen, I love games. i have been playing for 15 years. I am 23 Now. Not an older generation who doesnt understand games. I probably play games more than 95 percent of the people on this site. Now that thats out of the way: It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not. The huge difference between movies, books, and games, is that games degrade in time in some form. Movies and books dont. Movies and books are the same quality the day they came out. With games, they degrade in some form, although in most cases, they age very badly, especially 3d games. Go back and play a lot of psone,n64, ps2 games. They are not the same quality they were on release. A lot of games are heart breaking to see how bad they are now, compared to when you were a kid. Graphics get worse. Gameplay in most cases degrades. Even the games considered the greatest of all time, their age has dminished their quality. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye....etc. They are not the mind blowing quality they were on release. It so sad that the way games work, it has to be this way. They Re based on technology, and technology becomes outdated. It does break my heart that games degrade by default. I wish this didnt happen. The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me. I would like you all to share your feelings as well please. Thanks.Blueresident87

There are so many movies that age poorly, and there are many that do so strictly because of graphics technology becoming outdated. Go back and watch a silent movie, then tell me you don't have to appreciate the time to appreciate the work. Same with many novels that are written in old english or whatever, they require appreciation of things other than the work itself to enjoy. That argument holds as much water as a fire.

Something's quality is purely subjective,  a video game has the capacity to tell a story just as well as any movie and most books. It's not about graphics.

Not only that, but video games can tell a story better/ more interestingly than movies or books. 999 and Silent Hill Shattered Memories are two games that really use the video game medium to subvert expectations and tell a story that can only be told in video game format (at least as far as having the same impact. 999 would be nowhere near as mind blowingly good if it were a book). The same can't be said for most other games, because too many of them try to emulate movies. But I think that games as a whole have the capability of really being their own beast, set apart form books or movies.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts

Meh, I agree to an extent. There are some artsy games out there but for the most part video game as an "art form" is just stupid. Hell, books and movies as an "art" form are just as dumb; even music, I'd say. Art is the only form of art form.Goyoshi12

:lol:

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Games are not solely used as artistic expression but they have artistic qualities to them.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts
I don't know... but Romeo and Juliet seems like a pretty basic story to me. Honestly, I don't know what makes some stories from the past so special, other than history and nostalgia.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
I agree.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#83 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]Meh, I agree to an extent. There are some artsy games out there but for the most part video game as an "art form" is just stupid. Hell, books and movies as an "art" form are just as dumb; even music, I'd say. Art is the only form of art form.WolfattheDoor34

:lol:

Yes?

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

As someone else explained to you, live theatre is interactive. Even plays that don't try to be interactive are. As someone who was personally involved in theatre on and off the stage, I can't stress how much the audience influences what happens on stage. A great performance and a poor one often hinges on audience feedback. If the audience just "does nothing and watch" the performance often moves quicker and actors put less effort into their performance. But if you can tell that the audience is enjoying it (clapping after scenes, laughing at a funny scene, or perhaps audibly gasping during a shocking scene) then this gives the actors the motivation to give their best performance possible. Therefore, it's unavoidably interactive. Are you going to tell me a live performance of Shakespeare is not art?

And then there are plays that are overtly interactive and may even bring audience members on stage for certain skits. As I mentioned in my own post earlier on, this is what I love about theatre. I think the interactive quality makes it so much more engaging. This is also why I love video games.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#85 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

And then there are plays that are overtly interactive and may even bring audience members on stage for certain skits. As I mentioned in my own post earlier on, this is what I love about theatre. I think the interactive quality makes it so much more engaging. This is also why I love video games.Tropictrain

Indeed. It isn't as if a play becomes some completely different kind of thing when it explicitly or implicitly breaks the fourth wall.

Art is basically a kind of thing, not a degree or a collection of differences. I've defined itin the past as the communication of metaphysical values over one or more mediums.

Video games fit that definition in pretty much all cases. Any interaction that takes place in a game is well within the confines of the story, the environment, the personalities of the characters, and the universe, that was created by the artist(s) who created it. Even when they greatly affect the direction of the game, it is still locked into presenting the metaphysical values that the designers hoped to convey.

Some people will argue that very mechanical games aren't art while other efforts are, but even that doesn't completely gel. Much of Bach shows the mechanics of music, which is why he is great to use as learning material, yet even that is still considered art despite the fact that many of the pieces are often just logical progressions.

I think what people are often trying to say when they say something is not art is that it isn't good art. They should argue that point instead. Saying something is "art" isn't a value judgement, it's just a recognitiion for what it is. Saying something is "good art" or "bad art"... that's a value judgement that can be debated.

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
Video games is one of the best forms of art there is.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

While they are a younger, less mature, less developed art form, I would disagree. It is an art form. One that has improved considerably and continues to improve.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

Anything is art if you look at it as so. Some famous painters have said that.

Minimalism_1_by_PlagueJester.jpg

If this is art. If Jackson Pollock is art. If paintings of soup cans is art. Then video games are art.

ZionismFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ZionismFTW
Member since 2013 • 316 Posts
[QUOTE="TidusIsBest"]Listen, I love games. i have been playing for 15 years. I am 23 Now. Not an older generation who doesnt understand games. I probably play games more than 95 percent of the people on this site. Now that thats out of the way: It my opinion that games are not art. I love games more than anyone. I enjoy games more than movies and books, although i love those other mediums very much also. However, art is timeless. Games are not. The huge difference between movies, books, and games, is that games degrade in time in some form. Movies and books dont. Movies and books are the same quality the day they came out. With games, they degrade in some form, although in most cases, they age very badly, especially 3d games. Go back and play a lot of psone,n64, ps2 games. They are not the same quality they were on release. A lot of games are heart breaking to see how bad they are now, compared to when you were a kid. Graphics get worse. Gameplay in most cases degrades. Even the games considered the greatest of all time, their age has dminished their quality. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Goldeneye....etc. They are not the mind blowing quality they were on release. It so sad that the way games work, it has to be this way. They Re based on technology, and technology becomes outdated. It does break my heart that games degrade by default. I wish this didnt happen. The sad thing is, 3d games are not timeless. They degrade in some way, shape, or form, and there is nothing they can do to stop it, as technology becomes outdated by default. 3d Games will never be 100% the same quality they were on release in the future by default. Games are not timeless, art however is. This is why games are not art. Games are my life, but its just the truth and pains me to say it, believe me. I would like you all to share your feelings as well please. Thanks.

That's an interesting distinction between video games and other art forms, but I'm not sure that disqualifies video games from being included in the category of "art". Let's examine movies: do you really believe it's true that film doesn't degrade over time, at least sometimes? Look at Godzilla, or look at Charlie Chaplin. Lots of movies also age badly, not all old films are of an almost timeless nature like To Kill A Mockinbird. Even great literature can feel dated, take for example Crime and Punishment. This story is quite specific to a particular context, a period of time in pre-revolutionary Russia that is not necessarily as timeless as you may think. Depending on who you ask, even the Bible is seen as dated. So while I understand where you're coming from, and you raise an interesting point, I'm not sure your definition of art requiring to be of a timeless nature excludes the literature and film you're implying possess it.
funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
If it was not arguable then you should have posted a blog instead. I respectfully disagree. Games have art all throughout them. As a whole they have many elements of art to them. Breaking them up into pieces we see so many different forms of expression of art. Nothing is timeless. Art fades away eventually in any form. Or changes. Can be destroyed etc.