Good for Gamespot: Bioshock Infinite needs to be pummeled.

• 130 results
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

@nirgal said:

The issue is that it's being critized because one character narrative doesn't fit the politics of some journalist.

So it's not really valid criticism unless you are one of those people that think character depth and nuance is less important than waving a political flag at the player.

Basically the problem is that a character that is a slave is also portrayed as morally questionable, which the journalist doesn't like.

But stories aren't always meant to be moral, and people in unfortunate situations can also be bad without that reflecting negatively on others that share the same unfortunate circumstances.

Ultimately all this will do, is increase attention on the game and consequently sales, just like the howarts legacy situation. Except this time the effect will be smaller as it's an older game.

Wrong.

The problem is first, that the game morally equates Comstock and Fitzroy, with them saying they are made for eachother, which is a disguising notion. Second, it portrays the Vox as barbaric stereotypes, seemingly just as in the wrong as the Founders.

Also Daisy's turn comes out of nowhere, a diabolus ex machina. At no point does the game hint at being so low to harm a child. Well that was retconned in a sloppy manner.

And ironically, Hogwarts actually addresses the problems of Rowling's work.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 721 Posts

@texasgoldrush: that's simply your opinion of what's wrong with the game. I am referring to the journalist 's opinion who states several time that the problem is that a black woman who is a slave is portrayed as a bad person.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

It surprises me that a game releasing 2013 still has a negative effect on everyone to this day. Bioshock Infinite wasn't the best Bioshock and it was really meh compare to the previous games I personally love Bioshock 2 & follow by 1.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3258 Posts

While I liked the game's sky city since I find it to be cool setting, the gameplay itself is average at best. Also I hated how it only limits you to only two weapons. Bioshock Infinite isn't the worst shooter I ever played but it's also not very special ether. The previous Bioshock games were way better. Plus I liked how in Bioshock 1 and 2 there are different endings for both games while in Infinite there is only one.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Game was actually pretty good. And loved it’s take on racism and white nationalism.

Same. I liked it for what it was.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

I thought it was a good game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Meh. I really enjoyed the game myself. 🤷‍♂️

Me too, and that's all i really care.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

I remember sorta liking it and the dlc back at release but I had always been confused at the ending. Can someone tell me why drowning Booker would kill Comstock in all of the parallel universes? Or did I miss something?

Avatar image for deactivated-642c1157b8e80
deactivated-642c1157b8e80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-642c1157b8e80
Member since 2023 • 262 Posts

@silentchief said:
@texasgoldrush said:

However, Infinite is under criticized, not over criticized.

But it's being criticized now by self absorbed, virtue signaling woke game journalists. The vast majority of the fan base doesn't share their skewed worldview

The only fan base anyone who uses the word “woke” unironically is the majority of is the KKK.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22970 Posts

I thought the game was fun... It had a video game story. It wasn't that memorable but it worked for the game.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By madsnakehhh

@nirgal said:

@texasgoldrush: that's simply your opinion of what's wrong with the game. I am referring to the journalist 's opinion who states several time that the problem is that a black woman who is a slave is portrayed as a bad person.

Actually ... yes. This makes you see how bad political correctness has come in such a short amount of time.

10 years ago, it was a daring decision to portray the ever noble slaves (in media) as bad people ... in the game Daisy was seen as the "correct choice" until you realice she is definitely not a good person. But now, journalists are saying that the game "didn't aged well" due to this ... i won't get into any political drama and i definitely think that the storytelling could have been a lot better but yeah, you have to wonder why Gamespot decided to "celebrate" it's 10 year anniversary for whatever reason ... i mean is not like Bioshock Inifnite was the only game released in 2012 right ?

And trust me, i have seen this before, in Mexico, the "correct" depiction of poor peole is that they are noble, good in nature, willing to give and help no matter what and of course, lovable and when someone decides to protray them as how they really are ... it gets a bit troublesome by some.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 madsnakehhh

@lamprey263 said:

Anyhow, worst well received game in history has to be MGS4. It was awful when it released and it's awful in hindsight. I think the only reason it has never re-released is fear the game will have to face the critical firing squad without the same benefit of strict review contracts the first game benefited from.

So much yes. I won't say that MGS4 was awful ... i think it has some redeeming aspects, but damn, Kojima's head was already that deep buried on his butt to see how lacking MGS4 truly is.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Fun game, TC is a pretentious twit.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

@quiggling said:
@silentchief said:
@texasgoldrush said:

But it's being criticized now by self absorbed, virtue signaling woke game journalists. The vast majority of the fan base doesn't share their skewed worldview

The only fan base anyone who uses the word “woke” unironically is the majority of is the KKK.

🤣😂

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7059 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@quiggling said:
@silentchief said:
@texasgoldrush said:

🤣😂

The sad thing is I think he's serious 🤣

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Imagine being this salty about a game from 10 years ago for no good reason lol.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts
@clone01 said:

^

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#68 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

Same. I only found out it was "not good" much later on. And not too surprising that a certain group of gamers tend to hate games that touch certain topics.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10553 Posts
@Pedro said:
@lebanese_boy said:

Same. I only found out it was "not good" much later on. And not too surprising that a certain group of gamers tend to hate games that touch certain topics.

yeah me too. i have no idea why this game brings out so much vitriol in people. baffling

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@madsnakehhh said:

Actually ... yes. This makes you see how bad political correctness has come in such a short amount of time.

10 years ago, it was a daring decision to portray the ever noble slaves (in media) as bad people ... in the game Daisy was seen as the "correct choice" until you realice she is definitely not a good person. But now, journalists are saying that the game "didn't aged well" due to this ... i won't get into any political drama and i definitely think that the storytelling could have been a lot better but yeah, you have to wonder why Gamespot decided to "celebrate" it's 10 year anniversary for whatever reason ... i mean is not like Bioshock Inifnite was the only game released in 2012 right ?

And trust me, i have seen this before, in Mexico, the "correct" depiction of poor peole is that they are noble, good in nature, willing to give and help no matter what and of course, lovable and when someone decides to protray them as how they really are ... it gets a bit troublesome by some.

Don't really care about this game and barely paid attention to the story but it does get a chuckle out of me that a white dude like Ken Levine gave his take on anti-black racism/slavery in such a way.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

I agree TC I'm still pissed about the monkeys that were used in Donkey Kong 64. Didn't age well. Racist if you ask me. And none of them are non binary, I'm still pissed.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 texasgoldrush

@poe13 said:

I remember sorta liking it and the dlc back at release but I had always been confused at the ending. Can someone tell me why drowning Booker would kill Comstock in all of the parallel universes? Or did I miss something?

Its nonsense. That's what it is. Its piss poor writing.

@nirgal said:

You are not getting it. Its about bothside-ism that it commits overall.

Nat Turner's rebellion killed innocent people, but that doesn't make him "just as bad" as the slave owners. In fact, the latter killed even more innocent people afterwards.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 texasgoldrush
@madsnakehhh said:
@nirgal said:

Yet get this.

It was retconned in Burial At Sea to where Daisy was not ever going to kill the child, she just pretended to so Elizabeth can kill her so that "she can mature".

And no, Bioshock Infinite is political correct when it shouldn't, and politically incorrect when it shouldn't.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 texasgoldrush
@quiggling said:
@silentchief said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Yep, its complete morons who are either right wing nutjobs who can't even define what it is, or people ignorant and too stupid to realize that attacking efforts against racism is racist.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 texasgoldrush
@Vaasman said:

Because its bad for the game industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

IGN's new Bioshock Infinite article is up

10 Years Later, Bioshock Infinte Remains One of the Boldest AAA Shooters Ever Made

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 texasgoldrush

@theam0g said:

10 Years Later, Bioshock Infinte Remains One of the Boldest AAA Shooters Ever Made

And they cited the same fault I and Gamespot have said.

Avatar image for kirkalbuquerque
KirkAlbuquerque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 KirkAlbuquerque
Member since 2020 • 301 Posts

the game was crap but the articles are a complete joke

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

Idgaf

I prefer my games to stay out of politics as best as they can

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Nirgal

@texasgoldrush: dude, i don't care if a game story doesn't match your political views.

If in this story, the anti slavery rebels end up being just as a bad as the slavers, it doesn't mean slavery is good, it doesn't mean it's an endorsement of slavery, or that all anti slavery movements or civil rights movement will degenerate in to a worse version of what came before.

It just means that the characters of this specific story evolved in this particular way.

And you know what, i actually prefer it that way, it's more interesting than having a situation in which the expected good guys end up being non complex and stereotypically heroically characters.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

@fedor said:
@clone01 said:

^

🤣😂

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By texasgoldrush
@nirgal said:

@texasgoldrush: dude, i don't care if a game story doesn't match your political views.

If in this story, the anti slavery rebels end up being just as a bad as the slavers, it doesn't mean slavery is good, it doesn't mean it's an endorsement of slavery, or that all anti slavery movements or civil rights movement will degenerate in to a worse version of what came before.

It just means that the characters of this specific story evolved in this particular way.

And you know what, i actually prefer it that way, it's more interesting than having a situation in which the expected good guys end up being non complex and stereotypically heroically characters.

You don't get it.

Once again, the very notion is offensive. Bothsidesism has been used throughout history to belittle resistance against racist oppression from segregation to apartheid South Africa. Nevermind, in an American sense, the portrayal of anti-racist movement here is highly inaccurate.

Its centrism at its most dumb and lazy, dressed up as enlightened.

And really, not only is Daisy's turn not foreshadowed and was forced, it was once again, retconned. Really even then, the Vox can murder and scalp every Founder and their supporters in the city and still be far less bad than the Founders.

Do the resistance have to be all heroic? No, they don't. But for the game, especially through a white character, to morally equate systematic racial oppression to its resistance its tone deaf and idiotic.

Mafia III is actually a game that gets it right. Lincoln Clay is never a hero, and at moments, he comes off as racist as well. However, it never goes into amateur hour like Infinite did and realistically depicts the historical roots of racism. And when there is a part where Clay is compared to an antagonist with equivalency, he is compared to him as gangsters, not his worldview (and its a black character that does it).

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 texasgoldrush
@vatususreturns said:

Idgaf

I prefer my games to stay out of politics as best as they can

Infinite absolutely should have.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Nirgal

@texasgoldrush: i get it, i am just not personally offended by it, and i appreciate how it challenges your expectations and it dares to create a potentially offensive storyline.

In fact, lately i have found that too many movies try to create this perfect heroical characters with no visible defects to serve as role models for women and minorities.

Now, i don't thik there is anything wrong with supporting people that you think are being treated unfairly, but it makes for really bad story telling and it's usually showered in praise for matching the politics of the critics.

This the opposite of that, and as such i appreciate it.

On the other hand, i do not believe that this story is specifically trying to make a point that pro slavery and abolitionist movements are the same, it's simply showing a story in which they happen to be .

Actually for comparison, animal farm does very clearly try to make the point that capitalist and communist leaders end up being equally oppressive and i don't remember anyone being offended by that.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@nirgal: While I don’t disagree with you in saying that it’s good that a game creates complex characters by not making them necessarily good, I find it quite distasteful that a white man writes a slave rebel as "just as bad as her oppressor" assuming what texasgoldrush says is true.

There are good and bad ways to subvert expectations. This falls into the latter.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 texasgoldrush

@nirgal said:

@texasgoldrush: i get it, i am just not personally offended by it, and i appreciate how it challenges your expectations and it dares to create a potentially offensive storyline.

In fact, lately i have found that too many movies try to create this perfect heroical characters with no visible defects to serve as role models for women and minorities.

Now, i don't thik there is anything wrong with supporting people that you think are being treated unfairly, but it makes for really bad story telling and it's usually showered in praise for matching the politics of the critics.

This the opposite of that, and as such i appreciate it.

No, its lazy and sloppy. Once again, Daisy shows absolutely no sign of being so extreme she would murder innocents, and neither do the Vox. It was inorganic and forced. And many people who liked the game overall also agree, therefore it was retconned in Burial At Sea, in also a sloppy and offensive manner.

Once again, read what I said about Mafia III again.

Bioshock Infinite is stupid and you refuse to see this.

Further evidence that Levine does not know what he is writing about. Why would the Founders lionize Ben Franklin who was not only an abolitionist, but called for blacks to be integrated in American society? Also who would oppose religious nationalism and believed in the separation of church and state?

Nevermind that outside of Daisy and the smith, there is no notable characters of color. That characters of color and their stories aren't explored, and it shows in the game as Levine absolutely shows no grasp at all of the issues he wants to portray.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Vaasman
@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

What's bad for the industry is when dumb dumbs think their stupid wrong opinions are more important than they are.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 texasgoldrush

@Vaasman said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

What's bad for the industry is when dumb dumbs think their stupid wrong opinions are more important than they are.

Calling out a game that bothsides racial issues is stupid wrong opinion? I am far from the only one saying this, and Ken Levine has been confronted about this.

Nevermind this game is now seen as not as great overall since its launch.

@Juub1990 said:

@nirgal: While I don’t disagree with you in saying that it’s good that a game creates complex characters by not making them necessarily good, I find it quite distasteful that a white man writes a slave rebel as "just as bad as her oppressor" assuming what texasgoldrush says is true.

There are good and bad ways to subvert expectations. This falls into the latter.

Booker basically says that the only difference between Comstock and Fitzroy is how to spell their name.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Vaasman
@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

Calling out a game that bothsides racial issues is stupid wrong opinion? I am far from the only one saying this, and Ken Levine has been confronted about this.

I rest my case.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By texasgoldrush
@Vaasman said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

I rest my case.

I rest mine. Facts are facts, the retrospectives prove it. Nowhere near the acclaim the game received in 2013.

Or maybe how about for me to say its the people who like the game that are the dumb dumbs with the stupid wrong opinions? Because really, the detractors make far better arguments than the games supporters.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Vaasman
@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

I rest my case.

I rest mine. Facts are facts, the retrospectives prove it. Nowhere near the acclaim the game received in 2013.

Or maybe how about for me to say its the people who like the game that are the dumb dumbs with the stupid wrong opinions? Because really, the detractors make far better arguments than the games supporters.

You mean retrospectives like these?

https://www.chithot.com/6956/bioshock-infinite-still-a-masterpiece-10-years-later/

https://www.xboxachievements.com/news/bioshock-infinite-still-masterwork-ten-years/

https://goombastomp.com/bioshock-infinite-retrospective-a-blast-in-this-or-any-other-reality/

https://www.dualshockers.com/is-bioshock-infinite-good/

https://gamerant.com/bioshock-infinite-10-year-anniversary-development-struggles-acclaim-future-projects/

Oops I guess you were wrong and retrospectives aren't proving your ill conceived narrative. Turns out plenty of people still enjoy it and nothing changed. Still enjoys very positive recent Steam reviews and 8.6 meta for fan reviews so nope there's no community that turned on it either. It's just you and the butthurt crew pretending there's an argument to be made.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Nirgal

@Vaasman: well i don't insult the people that don't like the game, but it's true it's still very well recieved by players with 93% positive reviews on steam and the overwhelming majority of negative reviews being about the 2k launcher.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Bioshock Infinite is basically kind of like a person who thinks he or she is smart and knowledgeable, but in reality is wrong about almost everything he or she says. But he or she just doesn't shut up.

Funny. Sounds exactly like you.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

@nethernova: Lmao

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1130 Posts

I think of it as the "worst good game of all time" basically meaning that you have a game that is competently made, like it's not a non-functioning piece of software like Big Rigs, but ultimately it's so much worse than the sum of its parts. I loved Tom McShea's review of it back in the day.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

Its takes on Quantum Mechanics were far worse than its takes on politics.

I am willing to bet the writers of Bioshock infinite couldnt even recognize this,

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7059 Posts
@texasgoldrush said:
@theam0g said:

And they cited the same fault I and Gamespot have said.

Of course they did. Because none of you have an original thought of your own. Thinking everything is an injustice to " people of color" is not fighting racism and it's not original. Imagine being butthurt about a games story that came out 10 years ago.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

BioShock infinite was a dumb game patronizing its audience all while pretending to be anything but.

Even back then, the fan reception of the game was pretty dubious. I remember people bashing the game nonstop.

Loading Video...

BSI was arguably my last straw with AAA development. Whether it is the story or gameplay, it was all so patronizing, and surface level.

It was a weaksauce shooter, a weaksauce action adventure and a storyline that tried to come across as smart, by using concepts in quantum mechancis and theoretical physics without understanding any of them. I would honestly have preferred it if they just owned up to the fact that they just made stuff up, rather than what they actually did...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#99  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

All this talk about Infinite being dumb. I never cared about that stuff. Don't care if videogames are dumb or makes no sense. That's the majority of games anyway. Didn't feel like any BioShock was that pretentious either, maybe because I'm dumb myself. Can't question quantum mechanics if I know nothing about it.

I did however thought it was very lame of them to do the same thing again, but in the sky this time. What was the plan for the next one? Have a town go wrong again, but underground? And the one after that, in space? Found it lame and felt like the start of milking.

What I do care about, however, is the game being fun to play. And Infinite wasn't.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4389 Posts

drama sell/get clicks.

that was the only point for this low teir story. be it on here or ign.