BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17822 Posts

As we have seen in recent years, Sony has been investing heavily in PC. More and more games are getting ported over to PC with shorter console exclusivity periods. Helldivers 2 launched day one on PC and PS5 and is a huge success. They know the console market is limited and see the opportunity in PC to make more profits.

https://www.pcgamer.com/another-wall-crumbles-in-the-console-exclusivity-war-sony-testing-psvr2-on-pc/

Now Sony has announced that they are bringing official PSVR 2 support to PC. I always thought this was a great VR package wasted on a weak console and could be put to much better use on PC. Sony again realizes the potential in the PC market with this.

It's funny how things have changed and how both MS and Sony have embraced the PC platform. This was inevitable once they moved to the X86 architecture last gen. The crossover between PC and console hardware is strong. Widely used game engines like Unreal and Unity have made it much easier for cross platform development. The strength of online gaming and the desire for people to play together has led to the rise of cross-play. PC is the open platform that embraces all games and gamers.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61506 Posts

Already a thread.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

@BassMan: While looking at it again, it's different than GhostOfGolden but still, please at least change the title as I'm gonna reopen this thread.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46441 Posts

Sony going full third party.

In all honesty, Sony could've completely butchered the job of PC port but with Nixxes at the helm I have full faith in them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39109 Posts

Lets hope this never happens. If you own a 4090, all you deserve is to buy $5k ships in Star Citizen.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1280 Posts

Nobody trolls cows like Sony, they've had fanboys moving goalposts and shifting narrative just to shill for years 🤣😂

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46441 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Lets hope this never happens. If you own a 4090, all you deserve is to buy $5k ships in Star Citizen.

4090?

That reminds me: all hail to the king!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69680 Posts

Sony has bent the knee 🤭

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44129 Posts

Poo bovine brigade. :P

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1280 Posts
First party will never go to PC...oh
First party will never go to PC...oh

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Sony likes money? I'm shocked.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@pyro1245 said:

Apparently, they didn't like corroborating with the PC crowd until now because they aren't making enough money on PS5 & PSVR2 at the same time. They need help from PC gamers so yeah, they like money alright.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BassMan

@davillain said:
@pyro1245 said:

Apparently, they didn't like corroborating with the PC crowd until now because they aren't making enough money on PS5 & PSVR2 at the same time. They need help from PC gamers so yeah, they like money alright.

Damn right they like money. Even though they lead in the traditional console market, they realize there is not much opportunity for growth as people like to play on different devices and platforms. It doesn't make sense to ask a PC gamer to buy a system just to get access to Sony exclusives. That is a big ask and cost. They are better off just releasing the games on PC as soon as possible and market the shit out of them so that they get everybody excited at the same time. Helldivers 2 has proven how well that works.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 945 Posts

If so then this will be my last console generation. I'll migrate to PC when PS6 is announced.

No point in owning a console at this point. At least I'll have free online play on PC.

PC and legacy consoles is my gaming future

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Oh no! Will SONY still retain current gen leader status? Will everyone migrate to PC? :o

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 674 Posts

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2024/02/jan-2024-usa-sales-tekken-suicide-squad-persona-like-a-dragon-the-last-of-us-all-winners-on-ps5

According to the link Persona 3 Reloaded has come in at number 4 in the US charts. There is some query as it is January but it may cover until 4th Feb.

Either way Atlus has got their best first week sales by going multi-plat.

I am not bothered if Sony games are multi-plat from day one as long as they are on the PS.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 64 Posts

Day 1 releases for pc probably told you it was going to happen

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

The early 2000's, PC gaming le dead.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Sony's strategy is to release old games on PC to lure hermits to Playstation.

Ex. GoW on PC in 2022 half a year before Ragnorok drops on PS5.

They said it themselves.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@me2002 said:

Sony's strategy is to release old games on PC to lure hermits to Playstation.

Ex. GoW on PC in 2022 half a year before Ragnorok drops on PS5.

They said it themselves.

Yep! Lure PC gamers to PlayStation by allowing them to play the games on their PC.😂

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16562 Posts

@BassMan: yeah but nobody cares about sony movie games being on pc. The only game I have a bit of excitement over is tlou and spiderman. Everything else is a giant meh. Sony has always relied on 3rd party games for their console and semi 2nd parties like square, which makes them mostly forgettable.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1003 Posts

Their is a reason I have beef PC, only platform I play on these days. Too busy for other ish

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@BassMan: yeah but nobody cares about sony movie games being on pc. The only game I have a bit of excitement over is tlou and spiderman. Everything else is a giant meh. Sony has always relied on 3rd party games for their console and semi 2nd parties like square, which makes them mostly forgettable.

Must concede, as a proper PC gamers, do not care.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2433 Posts

BassMan doesn't understand that we lost. It's because of how limited the audience of these expensive, mostly boring movie games is that they have to be ported. Would rather have more variety and experimentation in mid-budget games again (including the now dead Japan Studio, 1993 to 2021) even if it meant fewer of them came to my platform of choice.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BassMan

@warm_gun: I do like the big budget Sony games, but I did also like the Japan Studio/Team Ico style games before. It's a shame that they rarely make more artistic games anymore. Regardless, that choice was made by Sony long before they started porting games over to PC.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Great news! Cannot wait for day 1 PS exclusives on the glorious 4090 (will probably swap out with a 5090 or 6090 by the time this is reality.)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mozelleple112

@Pedro: You jest, but it isn't as dumb as you think it is.

Here's Spiderman remastered and Miles Morales on your PC - bet you'd love the new Spiderman 2? Better buy our PS5.

Here's the GOTY 2018 winning masterpiece God of War - Enjoy it on your PC. Have a taste for GOW? Well better buy a PS5 if you want GOW: Ragnarök.

Here's The Last of Us, the best game ever made right on your PC. But you'll have to buy a PS5 if you want TLOU2.

They'll do the same with Ghost of Tsushima when GoT 2 is announced / releasing I would guess...

Personally, I'd just wish they did day 1 releases, but Sony's current strategy definitely makes sense.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Should have been at launch. Still good news that Sony is finally understanding the power of releasing stuff on PC. Dreams should go next.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45222 Posts

Will be interesting to see what happens. But if Sony can give us a very capable console at a very good price, I would still want to play on console. I also still enjoy buying physical games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@Mozelleple112: If that were true, Sony would not have shifted to moving all of their games to PC. The time between PS5 to PC ports have shrunken not grown. They will eventually realize that the markets are different enough to bank on both simultaneously.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro said:

@Mozelleple112: If that were true, Sony would not have shifted to moving all of their games to PC. The time between PS5 to PC ports have shrunken not grown. They will eventually realize that the markets are different enough to bank on both simultaneously.

We all gotta start somewhere.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mozelleple112

@Pedro: We'll see. Anyways I hope I am wrong and I hope I am wrong effectively tomorrow.

I want FF16, FF7R2, TLOU2, Spiderman 2 and GOWR on PC now, not in a few years 🤣

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

Cloud and mobile eating away at the install base of consoles. The march onward proceeds…

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8141 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Pedro: [...]

Here's Spiderman remastered and Miles Morales on your PC - bet you'd love the new Spiderman 2? Better buy our PS5.

Here's the GOTY 2018 winning masterpiece God of War - Enjoy it on your PC. Have a taste for GOW? Well better buy a PS5 if you want GOW: Ragnarök.

Here's The Last of Us, the best game ever made right on your PC. But you'll have to buy a PS5 if you want TLOU2.

[...]

Or..

PC gamers will just wait to play the superior versions on their preferred platform; the PC.. 🤷‍♂️

and even with that, there's the gamble that PC gamers will simply have "moved on" to other games by the time that delayed release happens.. i'm an example of this since i would have gladly bought Ratchet & Clank on Steam during the launch hype but with so many games to play, who knows when i'll finally get around to picking it up (if ever)?.

it's best to just launch these games on PC during the launch hype. Helldivers 2 is the perfect example..

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mozelleple112

@Antwan3K:

Well Sony is probably making bank on PC gamers like myself who keeps double dipping.

Either way its hard to say what is the otpimal strategy.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8141 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

@Antwan3K:

Well Sony is probably making bank on PC gamers like myself who keeps double dipping.

Either way its hard to say what is the optimal strategy.

i think it's safe to say that you're a very niche demographic to target.. a PC gamer who also owns a PS5 and will also buy the same game twice.. i'm not sure you represent a large number of PC gamers if we're being honest..

meanwhile, it's a proven fact that games sell best during the launch window.. so i'm sure Sony is looking at that as they continue to shorten the length of time between launches of singleplayer games and are now releasing some games Day and Date..

btw, I know you'd prefer Day One PC releases, so i'm not trying to be argumentitive.. just having a conversation.. 👍

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Even PlayStation hardware is going to PC! 😆

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@xhawk27 said:

Even PlayStation hardware is going to PC! 😆

Now that you mentioned it...😂

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1079 Posts

@BassMan said:
Loading Video...

As we have seen in recent years, Sony has been investing heavily in PC. More and more games are getting ported over to PC with shorter console exclusivity periods. Helldivers 2 launched day one on PC and PS5 and is a huge success. They know the console market is limited and see the opportunity in PC to make more profits.

https://www.pcgamer.com/another-wall-crumbles-in-the-console-exclusivity-war-sony-testing-psvr2-on-pc/

Now Sony has announced that they are bringing official PSVR 2 support to PC. I always thought this was a great VR package wasted on a weak console and could be put to much better use on PC. Sony again realizes the potential in the PC market with this.

It's funny how things have changed and how both MS and Sony have embraced the PC platform. This was inevitable once they moved to the X86 architecture last gen. The crossover between PC and console hardware is strong. Widely used game engines like Unreal and Unity have made it much easier for cross platform development. The strength of online gaming and the desire for people to play together has led to the rise of cross-play. PC is the open platform that embraces all games and gamers.

Using heavy Xbot Destin as some source like first party going to PC....yeah, that won't age well

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6907 Posts

@Antwan3K said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

@Pedro: [...]

[...]

Or..

PC gamers will just wait to play the superior versions on their preferred platform; the PC.. 🤷‍♂️

and even with that, there's the gamble that PC gamers will simply have "moved on" to other games by the time that delayed release happens.. i'm an example of this since i would have gladly bought Ratchet & Clank on Steam during the launch hype but with so many games to play, who knows when i'll finally get around to picking it up (if ever)?.

it's best to just launch these games on PC during the launch hype. Helldivers 2 is the perfect example..

Like " The Last of Us" 🤣🤣?

It's best to launch multiplayer games on PC all single players titles honestly shouldn't come at all and if they do it should be a 2 year minimum.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen

@BassMan i want your filthy ass opinion on this cuz i am really thinking of grabbing it. I only trust your hermitness because you made me discover Herman Miller chairs, which is better than what you have btw.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Pedro: We'll see. Anyways I hope I am wrong and I hope I am wrong effectively tomorrow.

I want FF16, FF7R2, TLOU2, Spiderman 2 and GOWR on PC now, not in a few years 🤣

I anticipate the wait is going be less than a year to day one as standard.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BassMan

@hardwenzen: Not that great of a deal. Check out PC part picker and you can get a 13600K and mobo for cheaper. Also, you can get a 7800X3D and mobo combo for under $700 CAD, which would be much better for gaming.

EDIT: I just noticed it has the RAM as well. Yeah, not a bad deal when you factor in the RAM. Still, if you can afford a little more, I would go the 7800X3D route.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3036 Posts

Cool cool. Now let's bring Alyx over to psvr2

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BassMan

@loudheadphones: It will age like a fine wine. Sony has found a new mistress in PC. The PS5 is no longer satisfying its needs.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@BassMan said:

@hardwenzen: Not that great of a deal. Check out PC part picker and you can get a 13600K and mobo for cheaper. Also, you can get a 7800X3D and mobo combo for under $700 CAD, which would be much better for gaming.

That's the pc elitist in you that's talking. A 13600k stock is great even when paired with a 4090, and i intend to overclock it to at least 5.6ghz, and most likely like 5.8ghz. The cheapest 7800X3D is $500 on its own, and that's expensive af just for the cpu. There are no good deals for the cpu+mobo combo, and i'd need ddr5 ram as well since what i have is ddr4. For the three it will end up $250-300 more expensive than what i've posted above. And that's even before taxes and shipping.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BassMan

@hardwenzen: I edited my post once I noticed the RAM was included. It is a good deal for what you are getting in the package. If you are happy with the performance level of the 13600K, then go for it.

Still... you can go the 7800X3D route for under $800. :)

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Qv6tqR