Xbox Serious S - the next gen base console - runs CyberPunk 2077 like a boss - prediction, PS5 lite $299 coming soon

• 63 results
PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8510 Posts

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

@phlop_spencer said:

Found a pic of OP

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#53 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I still think M$ would have been better off releasing a diskless series X at $399 than Sony would be trying to sell a reduced spec console at $299. When you realize just how much hardware the digital only PS5 has at just $100 more, the Series S just doesn't have as much value as people are claiming it has.

While the Series S runs okay at reduced settings and lower frame rates, I feel like "good enough" right now is going to translate into inadequate 2 years from now.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@eoten: the problem is Microsoft doesn’t know what people want.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

@eoten said:

I still think M$ would have been better off releasing a diskless series X at $399 than Sony would be trying to sell a reduced spec console at $299. When you realize just how much hardware the digital only PS5 has at just $100 more, the Series S just doesn't have as much value as people are claiming it has.

While the Series S runs okay at reduced settings and lower frame rates, I feel like "good enough" right now is going to translate into inadequate 2 years from now.

It's inadequate now. But, I truly believe S owners are going to be left holding the bag once MS opts for a discless Series X and kicking Series S to the curb. They should offer a trade in deal if this is the case.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

The S is like a side step into the generation and doubt as the gen goes on it will last 4-5 years it will be phased out and a disc-less X will be introduced. It all makes perfect sense in my opinion.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

@Pedro: there is more than just raytracing. I played miles on my PS4 base then jumped on my ps5 right after. Fps, draw distance, and plays much better. Even ghost plays and looks much better on the ps5. PS4 games never looked so good. I get there is not a huge jump. But to say that next gen just adds raytracing is just wrong. Just playing in 4k alone makes the games look better. Been playing on the base PS4 for to long lol.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Gifford38

@shellcase86: right the ps5 will go down in price instead of making a lite.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#59 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

@gifford38 said:

@Pedro: there is more than just raytracing. I played miles on my PS4 base then jumped on my ps5 right after. Fps, draw distance, and plays much better. Even ghost plays and looks much better on the ps5. PS4 games never looked so good. I get there is not a huge jump. But to say that next gen just adds raytracing is just wrong. Just playing in 4k alone makes the games look better. Been playing on the base PS4 for to long lol.

So, just a GPU upgrade like in PC and like a mid gen upgrade in consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I don't see sony making a budget garbo PS5 lite system.

The main systems are blowing the series S away in numbers of purchases that thing might not get as much support as people think.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Gifford38

@Pedro: it's not a mid gen upgrade. PS4 base 1 taraflop or PS4 pro 4 taraflop. To 10.28 taraflops. Only reason your saying this is because of the pro and Xbox one x. We never got mid gen upgrade before. but compared to both Xbox and PS4 launch consoles it's a big leap. I think it's a bigger leap from PS3 to the PS4. PS4 was more out dated when it came out compared to series x and Ps5. It's not mid gen upgrade. The pro and Xbox one x were the mid gen upgrades. Stop comparing pro and Xbox one x to next gen. Compare it to the launch base models. Heck the Xbox one x came out 2 years ago how much power do you expect in 2 years?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

@Pedro: it's not a mid gen upgrade. PS4 base 1 taraflop or PS4 pro 4 taraflop. To 10.28 taraflops. Only reason your saying this is because of the pro and Xbox one x. We never got mid gen upgrade before. but compared to both Xbox and PS4 launch consoles it's a big leap. I think it's a bigger leap from PS3 to the PS4. PS4 was more out dated when it came out compared to series x and Ps5. It's not mid gen upgrade. The pro and Xbox one x were the mid gen upgrades. Stop comparing pro and Xbox one x to next gen. Compare it to the launch base models. Heck the Xbox one x came out 2 years ago how much power do you expect in 2 years?

You are choosing to ignore reality. That is problematic because reality doesn't change; especially historical, based on your liking or disliking.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X exist. They were midgen upgrades to the older consoles with mostly BC to the original systems. They offered better performance to the original systems. They are the most current systems of the previous gen.

The PS5 and the Series X|S are upgrades to the PS4|Pro and One S|X. They are mostly compatible with the original systems and they offer better performance to the original systems. They are as pure as an upgrade as upgrading a GPU, CPU and hard-drive on your computer just like the Pro and One X. This is not something that is debatable. This is reality.

Mid gen upgrades are not new. We are just pretending that it is. The folks who are more verse in the history of gaming can point out the many instances of "mid-gen" upgrades. Nintendo is a fan of this schtick.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Gifford38

@Pedro: PC yes mod gen upgrade is normal. Nin was only handheld. There was no cube super or super nin x. The only one that has mid gen upgrades was turbographics cd then turbo duo. But since ps1 and Xbox and non cube there hasn't been upgrades. just because you use the same company for a newer GPU does not make it mid gen upgrade. Not the same GPU In the PS4 just the same architecture to make backwards compatible easier. You saying the 3060 is a mid gen upgrade from the 2060? It's the next wave of gpu. Not a 2080 super. Sorry of my wording is confusing. 3060 or 3080 is next gen for pc. What is PC on? Gen 10 now?

At least there not making it new alien tech like the PS3. Making easier for developers to either cross gen there games or to get more out of the system much quicker. Developers do not have to scrap there last gen engines. Not a mid gen upgrade it's just a upgrade. Just like every gen it's a upgrade from the last. Why is it a mid gen now?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

@Pedro: PC yes mod gen upgrade is normal. Nin was only handheld. There was no cube super or super nin x. The only one that has mid gen upgrades was turbographics cd then turbo duo. But since ps1 and Xbox and non cube there hasn't been upgrades. just because you use the same company for a newer GPU does not make it mid gen upgrade. Not the same GPU In the PS4 just the same architecture to make backwards compatible easier. You saying the 3060 is a mid gen upgrade from the 2060? It's the next wave of gpu. Not a 2080 super. Sorry of my wording is confusing. 3060 or 3080 is next gen for pc. What is PC on? Gen 10 now?

At least there not making it new alien tech like the PS3. Making easier for developers to either cross gen there games or to get more out of the system much quicker. Developers do not have to scrap there last gen engines. Not a mid gen upgrade it's just a upgrade. Just like every gen it's a upgrade from the last. Why is it a mid gen now?

So, you are agreeing that mid gen is not new and that the claim of it never been done as false.

PC, as a platform doesn't have generations like consoles. You can upgrade your computer as needed. Consoles are closed platforms and upgrades are reliant on the manufacturer. These upgrades are typically attached to generations.

It is akin to a mid generation because the upgrade is the smallest and is closer to the introduction of a mid gen upgrade than a generational upgrade. I am not sure why you are making this so obtuse.