Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1040 Posts

YIKES!

Rumour: Dragon's Dogma 2 Runs at 30fps on PS5 | Push Square

Capcom's upcoming open world RPG, Dragon's Dogma 2, is out 26th March on PS5, with a final round of preview coverage going on currently. While impressions seem positive for the most part, there is a potentially troubling rumour going around regarding the game's performance: that Dragon's Dogma 2 will run at just 30 frames-per-second on PS5 and, worse still, a Performance mode is not currently planned.

Lets hope this is wrong, because that's just pathetic. So many PS5 games running at 30 fps these days unless you absolutely demolish the settings for not much more fps, and that's just SAD. I'll join the Cows in prayer tonight, and hope this is fake news or it's yet another dent in the weak ass PS5 hardware.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

You're obsessed with the ps5 and its imaginary 30fps. It will have a quality mode that is 30fps

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Robertos

@kvallyx said:

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

Dont think Xbox will perform any better, looks like 60fps was not in high priority for the devs.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

Ok

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

I expected most games to become 30 fps as the generation went on.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

I mean, do we blame 4K or do we blame Sony here?

4K is a rediculous resolution and even mighty PC can struggle to run games on a 4K monitor at high frames, let alone a giant television.

I still think a.) we jumped to 4K too soon (at least as far as gaming is concerned), and b.) should focus more on performance and stability than quality visuals.

I mean if you can't make your game look good at 4K, the least you can do is make it run well. Don't give me a good looking game that runs like crap.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Capcom months back talked about switching to mesh shaders, something the Series X optimization is built around, while PS5 optimization is built around prim shaders. Curious if this will be their first game using mesh shaders on PS5 and Series X|S. Either way, I'm sure Capcom will gimp the Series X version just to give Sony parity.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Robertos
@mrbojangles25 said:

4K is a rediculous resolution and even mighty PC can struggle to run games on a 4K monitor at high frames, let alone a giant television.

I still think a.) we jumped to 4K too soon (at least as far as gaming is concerned), and b.) should focus more on performance and stability than quality visuals.

I mean if you can't make your game look good at 4K, the least you can do is make it run well. Don't give me a good looking game that runs like crap.

Yeah, 4K is rough to run. Fortunatly with DLSS and FG I can usually get over 100, but some less optimized games without those features can indeed dip below 100 these days. I'm hoping the rtx5000 series can help with this, and has a good 4K FPS boost for a comfortable 144 fps for most titles without worry.

As for consoles, I still thought the hardware would have been better and at the last 60 fps for 4K. And even at times that's after upscaling from 1440p. 30 is some dire shit even after upscaling.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

Capcom months back talked about switching to mesh shaders, something the Series X optimization is built around, while PS5 optimization is built around prim shaders. Curious if this will be their first game using mesh shaders on PS5 and Series X|S. Either way, I'm sure Capcom will gimp the Series X version just to give Sony parity.

That's for the REX engine, which DD2 is not using. Both consoles are rumored to be 30 FPS without a performance mode.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

@mrbojangles25: even the jump between 7th and 8th gen I felt there was too much fixation on visual fidelity, things like environmental destruction practically disappeared

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@mrbojangles25 said:

Why are we even mentioning 4k when you know for a fact it will never run at a native 4k? So not only are you not getting said 4k when Sony has an 8k sticker on the box, but you're not getting 60fps either. Super duper next systems btw.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Well, to be fair, ray tracing and stuff like that was completely off the table before the gen started. Those seem to be the big killers since DD2 will be getting ray tracing(at least on the PC version)--and if it is, then that might be the major fps killer, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The funny thing is, consoles are dropping resolution for many games and many still aren't running at 4k. The Finals, for instance is only at 1440p basically all of the time except looking straight up into the sky on the consoles. It's not really the fact that 4k is hard to hit, because that's not even the reason much of the time--it's mainly the garbage CPU they put in these consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

If true, then it is an absolute No-go on PS5. I'll play it on PC. Probably play it on PC anyway, even if the PS5 does somehow pull 60fps. We'll see.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1275 Posts

I'm not surprised to see console games running at 30fps, but I'm surprised if it took this long into the generation for this to happen.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44540 Posts

Meh. Certainly would have appreciated 60fps on the console versions but I can still enjoy it at 30fps. Not a deal breaker for me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70394 Posts

PC is the only way to play then.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Well, to be fair, ray tracing and stuff like that was completely off the table before the gen started. Those seem to be the big killers since DD2 will be getting ray tracing(at least on the PC version)--and if it is, then that might be the major fps killer, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The funny thing is, consoles are dropping resolution for many games and many still aren't running at 4k. The Finals, for instance is only at 1440p basically all of the time except looking straight up into the sky on the consoles. It's not really the fact that 4k is hard to hit, because that's not even the reason much of the time--it's mainly the garbage CPU they put in these consoles.

I can't remember, was ray tracing common when the gen started? Or was even planned?

I know it was around but I can't remember if it was as common (or expected to be as common) as it is now. PS5 came out like 2 years ago or something?

In either case, I feel like they should have/could have accounted for it on console. I imagine when they're drafting the specs for these machines they know what coming and what the demand will be before we do.

In either case, I almost always have ray tracing off on my PC, and I have a RTX3080 working at 1440p. Sometimes ray tracing works fine, other times it just kills it. Cyberpunk and Avatar, for example, definitely need it off to get good performance.

*ah, PS5 came out a little over three years ago.

@Pedro said:

There you go again, stating the obvious 🙄

😁

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

@robertos said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah, 4K is rough to run. Fortunatly with DLSS and FG I can usually get over 100, but some less optimized games without those features can indeed dip below 100 these days. I'm hoping the rtx5000 series can help with this, and has a good 4K FPS boost for a comfortable 144 fps for most titles without worry.

As for consoles, I still thought the hardware would have been better and at the last 60 fps for 4K. And even at times that's after upscaling from 1440p. 30 is some dire shit even after upscaling.

Yep, anything under 60 for most games seems pretty underwhelming. I'm not trying to shit on consoles (well...) or anything, but it just seems like we would have a higher standard at this point.

Anecdotal note, but I bought a PS4 a few years back (late into the gen, to try out some exclusives) and played some games at 30 fps, and it was jarring to say the least after a lifetime on PC and smooth performance. I guess you can stomach 30 fps if that's all you know but...it's bad, that's all I'm saying. Maybe for turn-based games 30 is OK but how often do turn-based games look good enough to actually warrant 30 fps 😋

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

Rumor includes Series X and S.

Definitely buying it on PC

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts

That's terrible hope Xbox X is 60fps! lmao

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#23 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17906 Posts

Imagine playing games at 30fps. LOL

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

Just play it on PC. Problem fixed.

On PS5 "visual fidelity and presentation" is 100x more important than performance. Hopefully they make a 60 fps mode by making the game look like crap for those few console gamers who actually cares about their outdated PS box playing games with higher fps.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

30 fps would made it irrelevant for. Just like those xbox gamers who had to play Starfield at 30 fps lol. I was getting 180 fps at the same (actually, higher...) graphic settings and resolution.

Anyways Dragon's Dogma 2 on PC for sure for me.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1409 Posts

wonder if rise of the ronin is 30fps too or will the SSD,Generations and Triangles save the day?

Oh wait it's not first party...sony don't have any first party.

Anyhoo..no need for any game not to have a 1080/60 these days.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

A thread about PS5 in a not flattering light turned into an Xbox thread? Nah, that wasn't expected.🤭

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

lol :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9432 Posts

Playstation knows you should be looking at fancy frames, not lots of them. You should be thanking them for making this decision for you.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

ps1-ps4 30fps xbox-xbox one 30fps.

console gamers in 2024 nooooooo we can't play it 30fps how dare developers.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1409 Posts

@gifford38 said:

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Perfect for that professional cinematic performance we all expect and love.

Thank you SONY and gen leading PS5.,

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

@spelamera said:

Dont think Xbox will perform any better

Cope.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1280 Posts

@gifford38 said:

PS1 and PS2 had a lot of 60 FPS games.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Robertos

Not even going to lie 60 fps is kinda trash feeling too these days. And to get even that consoles need to really dump the resolution and settings, looking all blurry and shit.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I can't remember, was ray tracing common when the gen started? Or was even planned?

I know it was around but I can't remember if it was as common (or expected to be as common) as it is now. PS5 came out like 2 years ago or something?

In either case, I feel like they should have/could have accounted for it on console. I imagine when they're drafting the specs for these machines they know what coming and what the demand will be before we do.

In either case, I almost always have ray tracing off on my PC, and I have a RTX3080 working at 1440p. Sometimes ray tracing works fine, other times it just kills it. Cyberpunk and Avatar, for example, definitely need it off to get good performance.

*ah, PS5 came out a little over three years ago.

@Pedro said:

There you go again, stating the obvious 🙄

😁

I don't know for sure, but Nvidia's first reveal for just rendering was 5ish years ago in Battlefield 5 and the consoles came out a little over 3 years ago. It's possible that Nvidia pushed for it after the consoles were already ready, but it's also possible that AMD didn't think anything of it and it would have been too expensive to account for. Nvidia also pushed DLSS hard as well, and that actually cascaded over to AMD to create FSR.

The consoles have a lot to be thankful for to Nvidia, honestly. If Nvidia hadn't invented DLSS and marketed it like crazy, FSR would have ceased to exist.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

This gen is the gift that keeps on giving. 😆

I TOLD you guys as the gen went on, they’d revert to 30fps.

What happened to 120Hz this gen then?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@robertos: If that's the case, it runs at 30fps on Xbox, too.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

So we are looking at 20fps for the s/x ?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

At least nerds are finally understanding the need of 60fps, and demand it.

Loading Video...
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

As it's a console, at the end of thy day the target framerate is a developer decision. Consoles are a fixed spec so it's the developers call whether to focus on FPS or visual fidelity and/or underlying complexity of the simulation (graphics are not the only performance factor at the end of the day).

Arguing that the console makers should have done X and Y and added A and B is pointless. They have to work to a very tight budget so cuts have to be made. So the spec is the spec and developers are well aware of it. If the blame lies with anyone it's the developers.

Though 30FPS, especially for the type of game DD is, is fine. Not ideal but certainly not unplayable. Unpopular opinion No1.

No2: For the asking price of the consoles, they still offer a very respectable level of performance. MS and Sony, overall, did good with both machines. You would be very hard pressed to build a console killer PC at the moment....which, at 3 years in, kinda shows the piss taking going on from AMD and Nvidia in the GPU sector :S.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

@robertos said:

lol

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1639 Posts

This is a combination of game design and or engine scope and limitations.

Has nothing to do with the capability of PS5 and lesser extent Xbox Series X to produce 60fps games with competent graphics.

If we look at something like Hogwarts Legacy, Dragon's Dogma 2 is extremely comparable graphically. One could even argue Hogwarts is more graphically impressive.

Hogwartz

DD2

HL

DD2

HL

DD2

HL

DD2

Yet, Hogwarts still had 60fps and above framerate mode on PS5 and XSX

With that being said it call comes down to the engine, design and programming capability of the developers.

If there's something in the game design holding the game back from running 60fps on the premium console side, I'd imagine it's the CPU side due to AI of enemy and ally code running against each other much like the graphically underwhelming Baulder's Gate 3 still hitting 30s and 40s in the city sections on PS5/XSX and mid-high end PCs.

That's still on developers for how they code their game on the engine they're using.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@above_average: Try not OD on copium. At least 30FPS would give your eyes time to rest.🤭

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1639 Posts

@Pedro said:

@above_average: Try not OD on copium. At least 30FPS would give your eyes time to rest.🤭

There is no copium on my end. If the game is coded to where it can only run 30fps on PS5 & XSX then it's guaranteed to run like shit on your precious PC as well.

You PC guys will be crying the loudest once the specs and performance on everything but 4090 with the best CPUs is revealed

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

So after all that we need to wait for a ps5 pro for 4k 60.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Robertos
@above_average said:

If we look at something like Hogwarts Legacy, Dragon's Dogma 2 is extremely comparable graphically.

1800p for a horrific 30 fps or 1440p with lower settings for only 50-60 fps or 1080p for 60-70fps. Not much to brag about OOF.

@robert_sparkes said:

So after all that we need to wait for a ps5 pro for 4k 60.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for rtx5000 so I can do 144fps+ at 4K in most games instead of my current ~100. 😅. The 4K 240hz oled I want should be available in 2 weeks.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pedro

@above_average said:
@Pedro said:

There is no copium on my end. If the game is coded to where it can only run 30fps on PS5 & XSX then it's guaranteed to run like shit on your precious PC as well.

You PC guys will be crying the loudest once the specs and performance on everything but 4090 with the best CPUs is revealed

Damn! You are really ODing on copium. That blinding 30FPS is frying your brain.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts
@above_average said:
@Pedro said:

Lol, give me a break, dude. Game is going to be dope on PC, across the board. You know it's true.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

I'm sure there will be performance and resolution settings, and if not that sucks, but not a game changer.