Gamespot:Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#201 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Ok people lets break this down money wise:

Xbox Live: $59.99 + Game: Halo 4: $60.00 = $119.99 to access full game (Multiplayer, Co-op and Spartan Ops)

Netflix on Xbox Live: $96.00 per year + Xbox Live fee: $59.99 per year = $155.99 to use Netflix on Xbox 360.

Internet explorer, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube = $59.99 per year to access

PSN: $49.99 per year (Free online, free access to all social media and Netflix)

PSN+ = discount games and free games every month = $49.99 per year to play full free games (no charge for online)

PSN = Save Money

Xbox Live = Money hole

dream431ca
Yeah, you forgot to include the Netflix yearly fee($96) + $49.99 = $145.99 (Wow a whole $10 difference). lol!!
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 blackace

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]i'm sure the xbox fans will continue paying because MS says they shouldZen_Light

The will keep paying because they can afford to and it doesn't really effect them. It's like paying electric, phone, cable, water and rent. You know it's a bill and you know you have to pay it if you want the service to continue. Everyone pays their ISP the same way. When gamers feel the service isn't worth it, they'll stop paying.

You mean when their parents stop paying.

I pay my own. Of course I'm the man of my home, so that's expected. lol!!
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Except most services are accessible through an Xbox Silver account. The P2P gaming isn't. Netflix isn't. What should be free you pay for and actual services provided by MS is free. An odd, but genius cycle of moving the cost to consumer.whiskeystrike

Well it's a catch 22.

Microsoft can provide free services on Silver because of money made through Live, but if they were to put all the services onto Gold, and only the online on Silver, then they couldn't afford to have the services at all.

But we live in a world where multimedia is king, so there is no real business sense in Microsoft/Sony reverting back to having just barebones online.

Both need to recuperate their billion dollar a year investment which is why both have subscription models in place.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
tl;dr edition?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#205 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
tl;dr edition?campzor
XBL does not do enough to differentiate itself from other online game services to justify a $60/year pricing model.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 blackace
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Services that utilize your router

whiskeystrike
Like your ISP? Is that a service too. Everybody pays. Everybody pays.

So being allowed access to an already paid service is a service itself?

If you're talking about Netflix, I already agree that the service should be freely accessed. All those apps that you already pay for should not be under the Gold Membership. I'm just saying that nothing that online isn't FREE. It never has been. If you have to pay an ISP, they you are paying for online. It's that simple.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

[QUOTE="Arbiterisl33t69"] You act as if anyone using party chat is some socially awkward nerd. Do you realize not everyone can come over all the time? That's what party chat is for. I party chat with people I know IRL. Not everyone lives close to each other. "Invite women and friends and have a goooood time" Wtf are you talking about here, lol. You HAVE to make little get-togethers to play fvcking video games? What would the women do? This ain't a commercial, IRL most wouldn't be very entertained, and the closest I've done a "video game party" which sounds awfully lame was a drinking game with Mario Party. RealGamrPSWii60

You'd be suprised how hanging out and playing videogames can be fun, who said women don't play too...? That's a borderline sexist assumption. I don't know how you grew up, but I held parties like that all the time. The people I regularily play online with are friends that also come over. I don't see the benefit of talking to people while you're not in the same game. Might as well hang out together in person. Or is America so detached that you need party chat to maintain friendships? I can understand if you live in different states but I can't imagine all your friends living far off having to need party chat.

Look at Nintendo. They purposely drove the get-together style of gaming and have had succes in a lot of offline multiplayer games. Microsoft is just cashing in on the fact not many people want to invite over friends, either because they know their fanbase has almost no real-life friends or because they know their fanbase doesn't like to get together in person.

When you and your friends grow up and have families it becomes a little bit harder to go out to play games. Try getting married and having four kids and trying to pull that one. Obviously you and your friends don't have responsibilities yet which gives me a good indication of your age. Also gas is ridiculously priced. I put what I pay for a years worth of live into my tank in a week and a half. I'd gladly pay the fee to play online with my friends over paying for extra gas to go over to their house or have them come over where there will be things like kids getting in the way.

So...you rag on my age and implying I have no responsibilities? No, I don't have children or the sort but if you're interested, I'm 23. Yes gas is ridicilously priced, the reason I don't own a car...
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The only surprising thing about this article is that it took so long to be posted on a main stream site. Actually, considering that ad revenue is how these sites survive, I'm surprised it was written at all.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#209 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's been like this for years.

and People are just NOW noticing this?
Xbox Live is a Toll booth to YOUR Internet!

You don't have to pay for anything else that connects to the internet. Only Xbox Live.

People thought it was a Great to have Xbox Live it was a "Premium Service" That is until the Competition showed that it has the same thing, only Free.

The Connection between Call of Duty on the Xbox 360 is no different from the Connection of Call of Duty on your Wii, PC, PS3, or WiiU. It's going to be the Same Connection. There are no Dedicated Servers, It's all P2P. If person has a terrible connection then everyone has a bad time.

The only perk for Xbox Live is the ability to Talk to people in a Party regardless of what game they're playing.

TomMcShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#210 TomMcShea
Member since 2005 • 879 Posts

Curious as to the origins of this article. Are you free to write what you wish and just have to sift through an approval process or are you assigned topics?whiskeystrike

I told my boss and colleagues during our weekly meeting what I would like to write an editorial about how I feel Xbox Gold is now obsolete, and they agreed it would be interesting. That's how all of my content (except for reviews) surface.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]Curious as to the origins of this article. Are you free to write what you wish and just have to sift through an approval process or are you assigned topics?TomMcShea

I told my boss and colleagues during our weekly meeting what I would like to write an editorial about how I feel Xbox Gold is now obsolete, and they agreed it would be interesting. That's how all of my content (except for reviews) surface.

Write an article on the effect that Sony/MS potentially blocking out used game sales could have on the industry and weigh the pros and cons of such a practice and what you think about it. That would make for an interesting read. I much prefer editorial type stuff done by the GS editors since it seems much more natural than articles that are neutral and safe.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"][QUOTE="blackace"] Like your ISP? Is that a service too. Everybody pays. Everybody pays. blackace
So being allowed access to an already paid service is a service itself?

If you're talking about Netflix, I already agree that the service should be freely accessed. All those apps that you already pay for should not be under the Gold Membership. I'm just saying that nothing that online isn't FREE. It never has been. If you have to pay an ISP, they you are paying for online. It's that simple.

That's the point. You already paid the ISP. If business was fair then a gold membership would actually entail services that should be paid for, which does not include the actual online portions of the game. MS does not host those servers, your ISP/the devs do who you already payed. If the player still finds it worth it, then cool. It's just not something I have any intentions of supporting and I think it's important both sides of the issue here understand each other

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]tl;dr edition?BPoole96
XBL does not do enough to differentiate itself from other online game services to justify a $60/year pricing model.

thanks. Well ive been saying this for ages. Just goes to show the bias SW has towards me because i dont have my own website!
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]Curious as to the origins of this article. Are you free to write what you wish and just have to sift through an approval process or are you assigned topics?TomMcShea

Is someone writing an opposition? Would be interesting to see!
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Well, you and your colleagues were correct. It's a great article. I'm glad that your boss agreed to let you write it, as these are things that have needed to be discussed in the public domain for quite some time. I personally haven't paid for XBox Live Gold in several years, and I hope that your article helps to pave the way for cheaper online services from Microsoft...
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#216 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Good article. It amazes me how people can still defend Microsoft from essentially taking their money when alternative equivalents are free.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#217 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

I agree with pretty much everything he said (heck, I wrote something similar back when I was freelancing)

The only reason I pay for Live is because my friends have 360s and Live. It's a catch-22 but whatever, my friends and I (well, many of them) are slowly migrating to PC gaming anyway so this may well be the last year I bother paying for Live.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#218 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I haven't paid $60 for Live ever. I wait until sales on newegg or Amazon. I don't really mind paying money for Live, as long as they maintain it. I've noticed everything downloads so much faster on Live than on PSN. What Microsoft could do is allow Netflix streaming, and other apps available to all members, and get rid of the ads.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
lol now watch Microsoft up the price of live
sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

Can you tell your boss if you can stop using review scores? You do suck using them like (Skyward Sword, Tenorman's Revenge, and Infamous 2 are good examples).

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#221 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="TomMcShea"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]Curious as to the origins of this article. Are you free to write what you wish and just have to sift through an approval process or are you assigned topics?sonic1564

Can you tell your boss if you can stop using review scores? You do suck using them like (Skyward Sword, Tenorman's Revenge, and Infamous 2 are good examples).

are you asking to get banned? lol

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

[QUOTE="TomMcShea"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]Curious as to the origins of this article. Are you free to write what you wish and just have to sift through an approval process or are you assigned topics?sonic1564

now type it again in english

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 sonic1564

are you asking to get banned? lol

Gue1

I can get banned for using first amendment rights and telling a journalist how to improve their reviews? He's just bashing the Xbox 360 because the calves hate him. He is still a lemming.

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 sonic1564

ultraking

I told Lem McShea to stup using review scores in his reviews.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="ultraking"]

sonic1564

I told Lem McShea to stup using review scores in his reviews.

Badass. You shall be heralded as a martyr by the Lemming Kingdom.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

SonySpot confirmed

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 sonic1564

Badass. You shall be heralded as a martyr by the Lemming Kingdom.DrTrafalgarLaw

Don't worry, you calves ate up his fakeboy article good. You'll be calling him God McPerfect in no time.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

Badass. You shall be heralded as a martyr by the Lemming Kingdom.sonic1564

Don't worry, you calves ate up his fakeboy article good. You'll be calling him God McPerfect in no time.

You think stating the obvious about XBLG is enough for McShea to redeem himself? Never.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#229 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

McShea is spot on about this. XBL should be free.

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 sonic1564

You think stating the obvious about XBLG is enough for McShea to redeem himself? Never.DrTrafalgarLaw

Yes, you Sony puppets really ate it up good. Now you all think the service that steals your identity is better than the one that doesn't and are using a fakeboy article by a lemming as ownage. You calves and straw grasping. When will you admit that Xbox Live is the best console online service ever.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#231 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
If they just make the online portion free. I will go back to Microsoft but as it stands, ps3 does the same thing (kind of) but it's free.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

You think stating the obvious about XBLG is enough for McShea to redeem himself? Never.sonic1564

Yes, you Sony puppets really ate it up good. Now you all think the service that steals your identity is better than the one that doesn't and are using a fakeboy article by a lemming as ownage. You calves and straw grasping. When will you admit that Xbox Live is the best console online service ever.

Someone needs to get out more...how is the service better when both do peer-2-peer matchmaking, with only a select amount of titles giving you dedicated servers and even less titles a server browser? Read the damn article, even with non-gaming services the PSN trumps xbox live gold and isn't the one having an extra pay wall. Yes, the identity theft is unfortunate and shouldn't have happened...except you lemmings are so full of it claiming that it would have never happened to you. Hint: It already did with season pass for FIFA12 in the UK, Microsoft made sure to cover up the story. But yeah you lemmings are a broken record screaming "identity theft!" as opposed to dealing with a entitled mentality of that gave birth to those hacker scum. I'll enjoy watching you eat crow when it happens to your sorry ass.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

You think stating the obvious about XBLG is enough for McShea to redeem himself? Never.sonic1564

That was a good thing because sony gave so many freebies. I got WipeoutHD,Dead Nation, LBP2,playstationplus for a month giving even more smaller games,free movies, and over 100 freebies for Home :P
PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts
[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

As an online gaming service it's been outdone by Steam and as a paid gaming service it's been outclassed by PS+. Even the Wii U has started to compete now that Nintendo has discovered the internet.

So Tom's right. But Microsoft will keep on charging as long as people keep on paying, which they will because it's the only way to play their 360 games online.

blackace
STEAM isn't on a gaming console so... it's not even in the same category. A better comment would be STEAM has outdone Origins, Amazon, Gamestop, GoG, GamersGate and Gamefly. You pay an ISP provider to access STEAM. Everyone pays. With online games like CoD:BO2, MW3, Halo 4, etc... still very popular, chances are good that people will still continue to pay for XBL. I know people say the cost is ridiculous compared to other services, but for most gamers who work, $60 a year is nothing. That's like losing some pocket change if you're making $75K a year or more. That's the main reason many gamers continue to pay to play.

You do realize the people who are BEATING you at Call of Duty are 14 year old kids right?
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#235 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
Ya it sux, im not sure why they still make us pay. Im not sure how the ps3's online fairs but coming from someone who mainly plays on pc your getting ripped off pretty hard and at the same time not paying them means im not going to be playing with my friends who for some reason all flock to the 360. But I am trying to convert them :) cuz i dont want to pay anymore lol.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Ya it sux, im not sure why they still make us pay. Im not sure how the ps3's online fairs but coming from someone who mainly plays on pc your getting ripped off pretty hard and at the same time not paying them means im not going to be playing with my friends who for some reason all flock to the 360. But I am trying to convert them :) cuz i dont want to pay anymore lol.murat8
all i need is decent online and PS3 clearly pulls that off.

MAG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUj3Jc40AQ

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="TomMcShea"]

How about we don't jump on the man's back for things that have nothing to do with the artical. I'm amazed he commented in the first place.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#238 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

Paying for XBL is lame. They should stop.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#239 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

iv pretty much felt this way once psn really starting getting on the same level. thats why I stoped doing live.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#240 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts
Hopefully Valve is able to have the SteamBox take off big in 2013, though might not be easy, but if they're successful then we might see the elimination of XBL fees. Though, it's going to be tough for Valve, they're going to have to make their games compatible with Linux pretty quickly, or they'll have to license Windows which will add to the price of the console, and if they want people to be buying this up they're going to have to be competitively priced with consoles as well as offer a substantial edge in terms of graphics. It might have been free if Nintendo had a comparable online service like MS and Sony's but they didn't go for that, and not like the PS4 is going to be launching anytime close to the next Xbox so MS is going to have their way until competitors do something about it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
XBLG fees were an antiquated dinosaur of a payment model at the start of the generation, quite frankly. Just the idea of withholding game content you've already paid for, when every other service doesn't tack on a subscription fee, is one of the ugliest things anyone can do. The fact that people defend it is even uglier.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Why is this even news? I thought everyone knew that Live is a rip-off....oh wait! lemmings don't :P
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
Why is this even news? I thought everyone knew that Live is a rip-off....oh wait! lemmings don't :Pabuabed
i dont think the article is saying live is a ripoff, i think its more about its sh!t regardless even if it was free
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11816 Posts

Isn't Xbox live on Windows 8 free?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Isn't Xbox live on Windows 8 free?

NoodleFighter
I know that it's free in Windows 7, though I'm not sure what features you get. It installs with GTA IV...
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I agree with this article, MS should have kept free playing online and gamers would pay for any extra features/services offered on XBL..

I honestly think services like PSN+ & Steam are better compared to XBL..

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

So long as there are morons willing to schill out for it, MS sees no reason to do away with their nickle and diming tactics.

Like Chutebox, it is the reason I do not lament no longer having one.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
They really should drop the charge now i suppose but it's only a quid a week, roughly the same price as a chocolate bar, so it's not exactly breaking the bank, and it's wrth it for me for cross game chat But thats jsut my personal opinion, i personally se value in it, other people don't and thats fine, there are other options out there for people who don't want to pay, as for the article, PSN has come a long way and is almost on Par with XBL and i think PSN+ s an awesome service for people on a budget who can't afford full whack for games.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I totally agree with that guy.

Microsoft should provide a better strategy in their practice. They should definitely offer Xbox Live for free, so people can play online for no charge. If people want more, they could sign up for a premium service similar to PS Plus.

This is what Microsoft should do in next-gen.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#250 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I totally agree with that guy.

Microsoft should provide a better strategy in their practice. They should definitely offer Xbox Live for free, so people can play online for no charge. If people want more, they could sign up for a premium service similar to PS Plus.

This is what Microsoft should do in next-gen.

GamerwillzPS
Exactly what needs to be done./