Is 1.84 TFLOPS a lot for a GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"] it's a mid range GPU http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7850/review Sony states that the PS4s graphics chip, which is derived from existing Radeon technology and integrated into the Jaguar processor die, can push 1.84 TFLOPS. That number puts the power of the GPU roughly on par with a Radeon HD 7850 video card. That may seem disappointing because the Radeon HD 7850 is only a mid-range GPU. Again, careful consideration allows for more optimism. Reviews of the Radeon HD 7850 graphics card have already shown that it can handle most current PC games at 1080p with medium to high detail, which is a huge leap over current-gen consoles. http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/a-look-inside-the-playstation-4/ It's Bloody good from a console perspective though and if the rumours are true it will be more powerful than the Nextbox and it's certainly more powerful than the Wii-u, at the very least it's probably going to be the most powerful console the next gem but without the Dwonsides of dodgy architecture, Ps4 is the console i have my eye on at the minute.

Is actually even better. Is a tad better than the 7850,and the 7850 can run BF3 on ultra not high or extreme on Ultra at a resolution of 2650x1600 at 32FPS,that is without optimization,the advantage of having the CPU and GPU in the same die,more memory and lower latency. Imagine what they will do on 1080p once they know the hardware.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#402 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]I don't think many games will be using megatextures.  In this case, it would be pretty beneficial, though.Riadon2

Like i say is about the future,a game that use 2GB now of memory is using 8 times more ram than the PS3,if it use 3GB 12 times more.

Yes, I have said many times that going with 8 GB was a good move for Sony.

yep its a smart idea for both MS and Sony to use 8gb. however you can not allocate most of the memory to video because after a certain point you have diminishing returns where the resolution being used will not allow the added detail to be seen. Which is why the 8gb will be allocated in sections for OS and the extra features, game cache and then video. you will never see the PS4 used more then half its memory for video, and most likely you will only see 2-3gb sized buffers for 1080 gaming.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] Like i say is about the future,a game that use 2GB now of memory is using 8 times more ram than the PS3,if it use 3GB 12 times more.04dcarraher

yep its a smart idea for both MS and Sony to use 8gb. however you can not allocate most of the memory to video because after a certain point you have diminishing returns where the resolution being used will not allow the added detail to be seen. Which is why the 8gb will be allocated in sections for OS and the extra features, game cache and then video. you will never see the PS3 used more then half its memory for video, and most likely you will only see 2-3gb sized buffers for 1080 gaming.

I don't think anyone expects PS4 games to be decked out in 4096x4096 textures and huge draw distances (other than hardcore cows), but it is one less bottleneck to be dealt with.

It will definitely be good for PC users.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Riadon2

yep its a smart idea for both MS and Sony to use 8gb. however you can not allocate most of the memory to video because after a certain point you have diminishing returns where the resolution being used will not allow the added detail to be seen. Which is why the 8gb will be allocated in sections for OS and the extra features, game cache and then video. you will never see the PS3 used more then half its memory for video, and most likely you will only see 2-3gb sized buffers for 1080 gaming.

I don't think anyone expects PS4 games to be decked out in 4096x4096 textures and huge draw distances (other than hardcore cows), but it is one less bottleneck to be dealt with.

No one has actually used MegaTextures except ID, So yeah those textures are highly unlikely, I do expect some mods to come out with those res textures though.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="delta3074"] it's a mid range GPU http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7850/review Sony states that the PS4s graphics chip, which is derived from existing Radeon technology and integrated into the Jaguar processor die, can push 1.84 TFLOPS. That number puts the power of the GPU roughly on par with a Radeon HD 7850 video card. That may seem disappointing because the Radeon HD 7850 is only a mid-range GPU. Again, careful consideration allows for more optimism. Reviews of the Radeon HD 7850 graphics card have already shown that it can handle most current PC games at 1080p with medium to high detail, which is a huge leap over current-gen consoles. http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/a-look-inside-the-playstation-4/ It's Bloody good from a console perspective though and if the rumours are true it will be more powerful than the Nextbox and it's certainly more powerful than the Wii-u, at the very least it's probably going to be the most powerful console the next gem but without the Dwonsides of dodgy architecture, Ps4 is the console i have my eye on at the minute.

Is actually even better. Is a tad better than the 7850,and the 7850 can run BF3 on ultra not high or extreme on Ultra at a resolution of 2650x1600 at 32FPS,that is without optimization,the advantage of having the CPU and GPU in the same die,more memory and lower latency. Imagine what they will do on 1080p once they know the hardware.

to run crysis 3 at max settings you need a HD7970 with 8GB of RAM and the latest Quad core http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/crysis-3-system-requirements-published-pcs-everywhere-wince/ The Ps4 has the RAM and it's probably faster but RAM Does not magically increase a graphics card, A HD 7850 is a mid range GPU, so is the 7870. Like i said, it's awesome for a console and a huge leap over the last gen but lets not compare it to PC's in the graphics department.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] yep its a smart idea for both MS and Sony to use 8gb. however you can not allocate most of the memory to video because after a certain point you have diminishing returns where the resolution being used will not allow the added detail to be seen. Which is why the 8gb will be allocated in sections for OS and the extra features, game cache and then video. you will never see the PS3 used more then half its memory for video, and most likely you will only see 2-3gb sized buffers for 1080 gaming. faizan_faizan

No one has actually used MegaTextures except ID, So yeah those textures are highly unlikely, I do expect some mods to come out with those res textures though.

mega textures was a fail
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 faizan_faizan
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

04dcarraher

mega textures was a fail

In a way, true.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

mega textures was a fail 04dcarraher

It is not.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 faizan_faizan

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] mega textures was a fail ChubbyGuy40

It is not.

Yes it is, It's better to have small and repetitive textures than ONE big textures that STILL looks nothing special  Here is RAGE with 8k resolution texture but it still looks awful. And at 4k, This looks like a PS2 game
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#410 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Just wanted to point out that EDGE says for the Unreal Engine demo, they had to turn off real time Global Illiumination - the PC could handle it, the PS4 COULD NOT.

Sorry cows.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 faizan_faizan

Just wanted to point out that EDGE says for the Unreal Engine demo, they had to turn off real time Global Illiumination - the PC could handle it, the PS4 COULD NOT.

Sorry cows.

Kinthalis
That is a HUGE let down from the PS4.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 tormentos
[QUOTE="delta3074"] to run crysis 3 at max settings you need a HD7970 with 8GB of RAM and the latest Quad core http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/crysis-3-system-requirements-published-pcs-everywhere-wince/ The Ps4 has the RAM and it's probably faster but RAM Does not magically increase a graphics card, A HD 7850 is a mid range GPU, so is the 7870. Like i said, it's awesome for a console and a huge leap over the last gen but lets not compare it to PC's in the graphics department.

Well unless you have a 7970GHZ edition close or better on high setting an on resolutions of 2560x1600 crysis 3 will probably be unplayable,since the average it gets at that resolution even the 7970ghz edition is like 30 FPS or 29. on medium is perfectly playable on 1080p by even the 7850.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 tormentos

Sorry cows.

Kinthalis
Epic did not have the final dev kits..:lol: In fact Mark Rein didn't even know the PS4 would have 8GB of ram,and apparently is confirmed by the fact that Killzone is say to have been using only 1.5GB of ram..
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 faizan_faizan
[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Sorry cows.

tormentos
Epic did not have the final dev kits..:lol: In fact Mark Rein didn't even know the PS4 would have 8GB of ram,and apparently is confirmed by the fact that Killzone is say to have been using only 1.5GB of ram..

UE4 uses SVO Global Illumination algorithm, I'm not sure how voxels work or if they rely on VRAM, But still 8GB WILL NOT do wonders.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="delta3074"] to run crysis 3 at max settings you need a HD7970 with 8GB of RAM and the latest Quad core http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/crysis-3-system-requirements-published-pcs-everywhere-wince/ The Ps4 has the RAM and it's probably faster but RAM Does not magically increase a graphics card, A HD 7850 is a mid range GPU, so is the 7870. Like i said, it's awesome for a console and a huge leap over the last gen but lets not compare it to PC's in the graphics department.

Well unless you have a 7970GHZ edition close or better on high setting an on resolutions of 2560x1600 crysis 3 will probably be unplayable,since the average it gets at that resolution even the 7970ghz edition is like 30 FPS or 29. on medium is perfectly playable on 1080p by even the 7850.

if it can run cryis 3 in medium settings 1080p with a framrate averaging above or locked at 30 FPS , thats good enough for me
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Yes it is, It's better to have small and repetitive textures than ONE big textures that STILL looks nothing special

Here is RAGE with 8k resolution texture but it still looks awful. And at 4k, This looks like a PS2 gamefaizan_faizan

You don't understand why RAGE looked the way it did, do you? RAGE also isn't the only game to use Virtual Texturing.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 tormentos
if it can run cryis 3 in medium settings 1080p with a framrate averaging above or locked at 30 FPS , thats good enough for medelta3074
http://www.comogam.net/crysis-3-vga-graphics-benchmark-performance-review/ It runs on the 7850 at 25FPS on very high at 1920x1200 which is a little higher than 1080p so it should run on very high on PS4 with optimization at least at 30FPS,not bad.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
LOL at the idiots thinking 8GB is gonna get you to the level of a 7970 or GTX680 more RAM won't make the GPU more powerful.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 Riadon2

[QUOTE="delta3074"]if it can run cryis 3 in medium settings 1080p with a framrate averaging above or locked at 30 FPS , thats good enough for metormentos
http://www.comogam.net/crysis-3-vga-graphics-benchmark-performance-review/ It runs on the 7850 at 25FPS on very high at 1920x1200 which is a little higher than 1080p so it should run on very high on PS4 with optimization at least at 30FPS,not bad.

The tests use a 3960x at 4.6 GHz...

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 Tessellation
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Sorry cows.

faizan_faizan

UE4 uses SVO Global Illumination algorithm, I'm not sure how voxels work or if they rely on VRAM, But still 8GB WILL NOT do wonders.

I don't know why cow still believe that the GPU is going to use 90% of these 8Gb :lol: 8GB of GDRR5 is the new teh cell :cool:
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#421 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"]if it can run cryis 3 in medium settings 1080p with a framrate averaging above or locked at 30 FPS , thats good enough for metormentos

Yep, thats actually great and its exactly what I was trying to prove with the OP.

I seriously dont get why Kinthalis and other braindead herms are trying to bash it at all costs. Is playing console ports on higher resolution really what they think PC gaming is all about? REALLY? :?

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 Riadon2

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="delta3074"]if it can run cryis 3 in medium settings 1080p with a framrate averaging above or locked at 30 FPS , thats good enough for meBlbecekBobecek

Yep, thats actually great and its exactly what I was trying to prove with the OP.

I seriously dont get why Kinthalis and other braindead herms are trying to bash it at all costs. Is playing console ports on higher resolution really what they think PC gaming is all about? REALLY? :?

The tests used a 3960x. 

Do you really think that the PS4 CPU is comparable to the 3960x?

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] http://www.comogam.net/crysis-3-vga-graphics-benchmark-performance-review/ It runs on the 7850 at 25FPS on very high at 1920x1200 which is a little higher than 1080p so it should run on very high on PS4 with optimization at least at 30FPS,not bad.Riadon2

The tests used a 3960x. 

Isn't crysis 3 mostly GPU bound
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

savagetwinkie

The tests used a 3960x. 

Isn't crysis 3 mostly GPU bound

Crysis 3 is demanding on all parts of the PC.

Look at the difference between CPUs.  Also, the 3960x in the benchmarks he linked was clocked at 4.6 GHz, which is considerably faster than the top CPU in this chart.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="tormentos"] Epic did not have the final dev kits..:lol: In fact Mark Rein didn't even know the PS4 would have 8GB of ram,and apparently is confirmed by the fact that Killzone is say to have been using only 1.5GB of ram..

I don't know why cow still believe that the GPU is going to use 90% of these 8Gb :lol: 8GB of GDRR5 is the new teh cell :cool:

because they have have no special secret sauce to give it an edge fact is that with the OS and the features your looking at 2gb usage 2-4gb for the game cache and no more then 4gb for video use, but more then likely will see 2gb as an average
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 tormentos
The tests use a 3960x at 4.6 GHz...Riadon2
Is on the same die as the GPU and run without API overhead.?
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]The tests use a 3960x at 4.6 GHz...tormentos

Are you serious?  You honestly expect a Jaguar to equal a 3960x due to API overhead...

There are no words.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] I don't know why cow still believe that the GPU is going to use 90% of these 8Gb :lol: 8GB of GDRR5 is the new teh cell :cool:04dcarraher
because they have have no special secret sauce to give it an edge fact is that with the OS and the features your looking at 2gb usage 2-4gb for the game cache and no more then 4gb for video use, but more then likely will see 2gb as an average

Sir, you have a LOT of posts in this thread and every single one of them is dumb. Why are you wasting so much energy on bashing something you dont even understand?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#429 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="delta3074"]if it can run cryis 3 in medium settings 1080p with a framrate averaging above or locked at 30 FPS , thats good enough for meBlbecekBobecek

I'm not bashing anything. I'm just slapping your silly fanciful notions with some cold reality.

And I don't know what you're trying to say with your last sentence. I don't think graphics is what Pc gmaing is all about. But I can see you may have some reading comprehensions issues...

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] mega textures was a fail faizan_faizan

It is not.

Yes it is, It's better to have small and repetitive textures than ONE big textures that STILL looks nothing special

Here is RAGE with 8k resolution texture but it still looks awful.

RageComparison8K.png

And at 4k, This looks like a PS2 game

RageComparison4K.png

You're an imbecile, Rage's texture assets are targeted at consoles with a "whopping"  512mb of ram (and the PS3's split which made for fun texture swapping between the pools!). So unless you think the PS4 has somehow been downgraded to 512, that's a woefully inaccurate representation of the texture quality it would possess as the target.

This "8k" setting* is just displaying the "high" (see: low) res texture that's targeted for consoles(the only one that exists), the "4k" you have is the ultra-low res underlying LOD texture that is to make pop-in slightly less jarring.

And you get 3 choices:

1. Use a LOD texture (ultra-low res) to fill in the blank while the high pops in.
  2. Let the area be untextured and wait for pop. or
  3. Force the frame to complete with the high res only and wait for the frame to render (no pop, but the frame rate goes to 0 unless you have enough space to cache in so far ahead and behind that you never pop.) 

*There is '1' texture for the whole game, there are no texture quality options. It's either you have your "high" res texture, or you dispay the ultra-low res LOD texture. 

The only way for Rage's texture quality to increase is for id to design it with a higher target VRAM; this is why the game shipped with no options, it just doesn't have any.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 tormentos
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] because they have have no special secret sauce to give it an edge fact is that with the OS and the features your looking at 2gb usage 2-4gb for the game cache and no more then 4gb for video use, but more then likely will see 2gb as an average

The only console with so call secret sauce is the 720.. Is not my fault that you don't want to admit been beating,comparing a GPU for PC with a console counter part is a joke,there is efficiency,involve that PC only can match by brute force.. The fact that your whole argument was base on stupid theories and plain old fanboysm (sony will never deliver) just prove my point,as for Tesselation he is a buthurt lemming who is just abandoning the ship because the 720 is under power vs the PS4,maybe SuperDaE can send him the secret sauce from jail..:lol:
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 tormentos

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]The tests use a 3960x at 4.6 GHz...Riadon2

Are you serious?  You honestly expect a Jaguar to equal a 3960x due to API overhead...

There are no words.

No., But you should not spec PC coders to actually work harder on a PC CPU than on console ones,how many games use 4 cores or more on PC.? On PS3 they have been using 1 PPE + 6 SPE for years oh an on a hardware very complicated,the same with the 360 3 core 3 threads when PC coder are not even caring,CPU multithreading is a place where consoles >>>>>>> PC. So no i am not expecting that the 8 core Jaguar would beat a i7,i am counting on PC highly waist of use when it comes to multi core CPU.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 Tessellation
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] because they have have no special secret sauce to give it an edge fact is that with the OS and the features your looking at 2gb usage 2-4gb for the game cache and no more then 4gb for video use, but more then likely will see 2gb as an average

The only console with so call secret sauce is the 720.. Is not my fault that you don't want to admit been beating,comparing a GPU for PC with a console counter part is a joke,there is efficiency,involve that PC only can match by brute force.. The fact that your whole argument was base on stupid theories and plain old fanboysm (sony will never deliver) just prove my point,as for Tesselation he is a buthurt lemming who is just abandoning the ship because the 720 is under power vs the PS4,maybe SuperDaE can send him the secret sauce from jail..:lol:

LOL your ass is in pain to the facts once again? look how my comments get under your skin :cool: you've been proven wrong in every thread and ran away :lol: do it now that you're in time,butthurt :cool: i've been gaming on PC for several years..you're a peasant that can't afford playing on PC that's why you hate it.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 tormentos
[QUOTE="Tessellation"] LOL your ass is in pain to the facts once again? look how my comments get under your skin :cool: you've been proven wrong in every thread and ran away :lol: do it now that you're in time,butthurt :cool: i've been gaming on PC for several years..you're a peasant that can't afford playing on PC that's why you hate it.

Go sit on corner and wait for SuperDaE and Kotaku to save you..:lol:
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] I don't know why cow still believe that the GPU is going to use 90% of these 8Gb :lol: 8GB of GDRR5 is the new teh cell :cool:BlbecekBobecek

Sir, you have a LOT of posts in this thread and every single one of them is dumb. Why are you wasting so much energy on bashing something you dont even understand?

like you do :lol:
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]The tests use a 3960x at 4.6 GHz...Riadon2

There are no words.

silly, its not about equally the 3960x, its about the console not having to do nearly as much work feeding the GPU, its apu interconnect, low cost API's, shared memory pool mean it doesn't have to do the same amount of work the 3960x is doing. PC's are all about throwing raw power at the overhead cost for the OS, consoles are about efficincy to get much higher utilization out of lower end hardware.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] LOL your ass is in pain to the facts once again? look how my comments get under your skin :cool: you've been proven wrong in every thread and ran away :lol: do it now that you're in time,butthurt :cool: i've been gaming on PC for several years..you're a peasant that can't afford playing on PC that's why you hate it.tormentos
Go sit on corner and wait for SuperDaE and Kotaku to save you..:lol:

you should make the 8gb gddr5 an altar and pray to it to help beat the PC,show me how you cry :cool:

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 BlbecekBobecek

The thread is riddled with hermits who feel just because hey can build a PC they know how to look at the raw performance of a console.   I built my own PC yet I stll prefer consoles.  I love how hermits think they can build a $600 dollar pc that could hold a candle to this when in fact they are so utterly delusional its emberassing. 

AM-Gamer

Exactly. I just dont get their motivation. Its not like PC gaming would be threatened if PS4 produced the same graphics as their high end PCs afterall. No reason to make up things and throw around borderline idiotic assumptions just to downplay it.

I cant imagine that I would spend hours in an apple thread trying to find (or make up) flaws on a new iphone or whatever.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] Is on the same die as the GPU and run without API overhead.?tormentos

There are no words.

No., But you should not spec PC coders to actually work harder on a PC CPU than on console ones,how many games use 4 cores or more on PC.? On PS3 they have been using 1 PPE + 6 SPE for years oh an on a hardware very complicated,the same with the 360 3 core 3 threads when PC coder are not even caring,CPU multithreading is a place where consoles >>>>>>> PC. So no i am not expecting that the 8 core Jaguar would beat a i7,i am counting on PC highly waist of use when it comes to multi core CPU.

Actually, Crysis 3 makes good use of up to 8 cores.  Look at how high AMD is on that chart, compared to other games.

The reason PC multithreading is "bad" in most cases is that games are developed for the 360, and then ported over to the PC with some extra features.  Most developers don't work to optimize for more than a set number of cores, because most developers don't care.

However, in PC centric games like Crysis 3 (and pretty much every game next gen), developers make good use of many cores.  Next gen, just about every game will be coded with a large number of cores in mind.

An overclocked 3960x isn't going to be beat by some lowly mobile CPU because of API overhead.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] http://www.comogam.net/crysis-3-vga-graphics-benchmark-performance-review/ It runs on the 7850 at 25FPS on very high at 1920x1200 which is a little higher than 1080p so it should run on very high on PS4 with optimization at least at 30FPS,not bad.Kinthalis

I'm not bashing anything. I'm just slapping your silly fanciful notions with some cold reality.

And I don't know what you're trying to say with your last sentence. I don't think graphics is what Pc gmaing is all about. But I can see you may have some reading comprehensions issues...

Reading your posts certainly does feel like being slapped by something cold (and wet and stinky), but it really has nothing to do with reality.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] Is on the same die as the GPU and run without API overhead.?savagetwinkie

There are no words.

silly, its not about equally the 3960x, its about the console not having to do nearly as much work feeding the GPU, its apu interconnect, low cost API's, shared memory pool mean it doesn't have to do the same amount of work the 3960x is doing. PC's are all about throwing raw power at the overhead cost for the OS, consoles are about efficincy to get much higher utilization out of lower end hardware.

Your overestimate the benefits of a lack of "API overhead".

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] because they have have no special secret sauce to give it an edge fact is that with the OS and the features your looking at 2gb usage 2-4gb for the game cache and no more then 4gb for video use, but more then likely will see 2gb as an average04dcarraher

?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

BlbecekBobecek

?

theres a difference between bashing and stating probable facts not wishful thinking where the PS4 can overcome its processing limitations, cant allocate insane amount of memory for gpu usage and ignore all other system/features/game memory use. etc.and wont be able to perform better then a gpu thats a good chunck faster. the fact the ps4 is using an x86 cpu and a slightly modified gpu that is from pc. The magic of optimization and efficiency only goes so far and the API being used on this hardware is the same basis as pc hardware especially AMD cpus and gpus.

as a console the PS4 is a beast with a ok cpu plenty of memory and a descent gpu but nowhere as fast as some think it will be. 

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

It is funny how butthurt console fanboys get when some is saying that 8GB GDDR5 is shared with CPU and OS and  memory bandwidth is also shared with CPU.

tormentos

No one is getting buthurt but you elitist who think who know it all and think every thing is apple to apple. Let me play a game with you,since my argument is that the PS4 can outperform both the 7850 and 7870 and ram is one advantage which you want to deny i tell you what... Here we have 8GB of GDDR5 shared.... 2 for OS (lol) 2GB for CPU (lololol) and for 4GB for video.. Presuming that you can actually count without using your windows calculator,who still has the ram advantages of the 3.?

Do you realize that a HD7850 come in two venisons 2GB and 4GB? do you realize the HD7850 is a barely a mid range gpu and by the time the ps4 will be released will be low end gpu?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

It is funny how butthurt console fanboys get when some is saying that 8GB GDDR5 is shared with CPU and OS and  memory bandwidth is also shared with CPU.

MK-Professor

No one is getting buthurt but you elitist who think who know it all and think every thing is apple to apple. Let me play a game with you,since my argument is that the PS4 can outperform both the 7850 and 7870 and ram is one advantage which you want to deny i tell you what... Here we have 8GB of GDDR5 shared.... 2 for OS (lol) 2GB for CPU (lololol) and for 4GB for video.. Presuming that you can actually count without using your windows calculator,who still has the ram advantages of the 3.?

Do you realize that a HD7850 come in two venisons 2GB and 4GB? do you realize the HD7850 is a barely a mid range gpu and by the time the ps4 will be released will be low end gpu?

Also note a GTX 570 from 2010 is faster then a 7850. and a GTX 580 is faster then a 7870. or a 6950 is on par with a 7850. and 6970 is on par with a 7870. Now if you really want to go back a GTX 480 is faster then a 7850 designed back in 2009.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 BlbecekBobecek

theres a difference between bashing and stating probable facts not wishful thinking where the PS4 can overcome its processing limitations, cant allocate insane amount of memory for gpu usage and ignore all other system/features/game memory use. etc.and wont be able to perform better then a gpu thats a good chunck faster. the fact the ps4 is using an x86 cpu and a slightly modified gpu that is from pc. The magic of optimization and efficiency only goes so far and the API being used on this hardware is the same basis as pc hardware especially AMD cpus and gpus.

as a console the PS4 is a beast with a ok cpu plenty of memory and a descent gpu but nowhere as fast as some think it will be. 

04dcarraher

You wrote regarding the amount of PS4 RAM used as VRAM that "more then likely will see 2gb as an average". That is not "stating probable facts", especially after this was proven utter nonsense about three times in this thread already. I will not explain for the fourth time in one thread why it is nonsense, because you will appear on next page and state it again, I will just take the liberty to inform you that you could have written "Im completely dumb" instead and the information that an intelligent educated reader gains from your post would have been the same, just acquired in a more straghtforward way.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#448 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Are you serious? You honestly expect a Jaguar to equal a 3960x due to API overhead...

There are no words.

Riadon2

Your overestimate the benefits of a lack of "API overhead".

You are underestimating why industry is moving towards HSA.

amd-fusion-bio,5-1-347509-22.jpg

Note that HSA is mostly a software issue i.e. PC gets similar HSA updates.

AMD's favorite benchmarking box i.e. Intel Core i7-3770K + AMD Radeon HD 7970 GE will so get the update. AMD is known to supply Intel Core i7-3770+motherboard with thier GCN to reviewers.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] No one is getting buthurt but you elitist who think who know it all and think every thing is apple to apple. Let me play a game with you,since my argument is that the PS4 can outperform both the 7850 and 7870 and ram is one advantage which you want to deny i tell you what... Here we have 8GB of GDDR5 shared.... 2 for OS (lol) 2GB for CPU (lololol) and for 4GB for video.. Presuming that you can actually count without using your windows calculator,who still has the ram advantages of the 3.?04dcarraher

Also note a GTX 570 from 2010 is faster then a 7850. and a GTX 580 is faster then a 7870. or a 6950 is on par with a 7850. and 6970 is on par with a 7870. Now if you really want to go back a GTX 480 is faster then a 7850 designed back in 2009.

The GTX 570 came out in 2011 and the GTX 480 came out in 2010.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#450 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"] No one is getting buthurt but you elitist who think who know it all and think every thing is apple to apple. Let me play a game with you,since my argument is that the PS4 can outperform both the 7850 and 7870 and ram is one advantage which you want to deny i tell you what... Here we have 8GB of GDDR5 shared.... 2 for OS (lol) 2GB for CPU (lololol) and for 4GB for video.. Presuming that you can actually count without using your windows calculator,who still has the ram advantages of the 3.?04dcarraher

Do you realize that a HD7850 come in two venisons 2GB and 4GB? do you realize the HD7850 is a barely a mid range gpu and by the time the ps4 will be released will be low end gpu?

Depends on the app.

In Battlefield 3, HIS Radeon HD 7850 4GB iPower IceQ Turbo beats Geforce GTX 570 and it's very close to GTX 580.

In Metro 2003 Last Light, HIS Radeon HD 7850 4GB iPower IceQ Turbo beats Geforce GTX 570/480 and it's very close to GTX 580.

In FarCry 3, HIS Radeon HD 7850 4GB iPower IceQ Turbo matches GTX 580.

HIS Radeon HD 7850 4GB iPower IceQ Turbo has 2.0 TFLOPs while PS4's Radeon HD "7860" has 1.84 TFLOPs i.e. ~0.21 TFLOPs difference.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7850_ipower_iceq_4gb_review,1.html

Guru3D didn't include Dirt Showdown.