Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

"Nintendo of America (NOA) has reorganized its Product Testing functions to drive greater global integration in game development efforts. The changes will also better align NOA with interregional testing procedures and operations.These changes will involve some contractor assignments ending, as well as the creation of a significant number of new full-time employee positions. For all assignments that are ending, the contractors' agencies, with NOA's support, will offer severance packages and provide assistance during their transition.For those contractor associates who will be leaving us, we are tremendously grateful for the important contributions they've made to our business, and we extend our heartfelt thanks for their hard work and service to Nintendo."

Damn! Gamers' beleived Nintendo was the exception.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

Contractors, lol

In exchange for opening "a significant number of new full-time employee positions."

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

I mean Nintendo isn't one to overhire ramping up to release and layoff once a game releases, like a lot of this industry likes doing.

But yeah this whole situation sucks, it's like the bubble has burst.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Well, at the least Nintendo is granting them severance packages and assistance during the process, and most corporations sometimes just flat-out kick out people out of the blue moon and give them no last support at all.

I have done a few contract works and while it's a hit or a miss, I was lucky enough to get a warning ahead my contract was almost up, and went ahead to prepare myself to move out. Remember everyone, a contractor is a temporary position, like agency warehouse work. Nintendo is doing a solid job with severance as that is unheard of with contract labor.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jaydan

@davillain said:

Well, at the least Nintendo is granting them severance packages and assistance during the process, and most corporations sometimes just flat-out kick out people out of the blue moon and give them no last support at all.

I have done a few contract works and while it's a hit or a miss, I was lucky enough to get a warning ahead my contract was almost up, and went ahead to prepare myself to move out. Remember everyone, a contractor is a temporary position, like agency warehouse work. Nintendo is doing a solid job with severance as that is unheard of with contract labor.

*Ding*Ding*Ding*

The life as a contractor has only ever been volatile, and it's in the name.

Letting go of contractors that were only ever temporary contracts and acting surprised is kinda silly.

Nintendo letting go of Temps in exchange for opening up a bunch of new full-time positions within the company (which they can apply to and have a heightened chance of getting hired) isn't quite the same as the rest of the industry laying off full-time employees in mass quantities.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts

Nintendo has been doing this since I remember, It's not a lie that they almost never fire people, because technically most of the people that work for them aren't employees.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39419 Posts

You don't need that many people to create 2D side scrollers in 2024, guys.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

This is Nintendo of America. What about the other branches of Nintendo? And laying off contractors different from laying off full time employees?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1142 Posts

I hope those affected will land back on their feet.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

How do you layoff a contractor? These weren’t permanent positions…

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@ghostofgolden said:

Professors are on contract and can be laid off but you are typically confused by the basics, so I understand.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan

@ghostofgolden said:

It's just a spin of "see, Nintendo does it too" in response to everyone else's favorite company of choice doing mass internal layoffs.

@girlusocrazy said:

I hope those affected will land back on their feet.

Any rational, and productive individual, can and will get back on their feet. The attitude around here about layoffs is always hilarious. People here treat it like these people need funeral service over a lost job.

Layoffs are just a part of the professional experience, that is applicable to virtually every industry in existence.

And I always remind people: these people have impressive enough resumes and portfolios from working in these industries in the first place, and anyone with half a brain can get another job, often times better than what they had before.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaydan

@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Professors are on contract and can be laid off but you are typically confused by the basics, so I understand.

Virtually every job you sign onto comes with signing a contractual agreement to your employment. That is not the same as being a contractor.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@jaydan: I am not sure why you are overreacting to this posting of news.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan

@Pedro said:

I am responding to the thread. Clearly you wanted engagement?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

I know you are responding to the thread. I am still not sure why you are overreacting.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaydan
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

I know you are responding to the thread. I am still not sure why you are overreacting.

Providing a counter-angles to the topic and responding to others is not a form of overreacting.

The fact that's all you have to say instead of responding to the substance of my posts tells me you don't have much to say.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44361 Posts

That sucks. Hopefully they land back on their feet soon.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pedro

@jaydan said:

Providing a counter-angles to the topic and responding to others is not a form of overreacting.

The fact that's all you have to say instead of responding to the substance of my posts tells me you don't have much to say.

With regards to the bold, Nope! Your language and the manner in which you are having the discussion is over-reactive. Do you need me to highlight the obvious? I would argue that your comments hyperbolic and don't warrant any counter response.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jaydan
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

With regards to the bold, Nope! Your language and the manner in which you are having the discussion is over-reactive. Do you need me to highlight the obvious? I would argue that your comments hyperbolic and don't warrant any counter response.

Lol the tone of words is quite bothersome to you, that it rules over a rational response or meaningful debate in your own topic.

It's all good though. I understand you accuse people of "overreacting" without providing anything substantial on this website more than anyone else when they don't share the same views as you. It's a way to avoid discussion while trying to provoke. I know how entertaining that can be.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

Sad for the contractors, but not quite the same as the layoffs at other companies.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@jaydan said:

Lol the tone of words is quite bothersome to you, that it rules over a rational response or meaningful debate in your own topic.

It's all good though. I understand you accuse people of "overreacting" on this website more than anyone else. It's a way to avoid discussion while trying to provoke. I know how entertaining that can be.

You are mistaken. This topic isn't a debate, for there is nothing to debate. This is not "What do you think about...?" or "Is the industry going to suffer due to mass layoffs?". Nope! It is literally posting the article posted on Gamespot.

There is no accusation of people. I specifically addressed you and it is obvious from your responses that you were as you believed provoked and I still don't get why. 🤷🏽‍♂️

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jaydan

@Pedro: You do you, it's your thread. I said what I had to say; there's nothing more to add and all posts that have happened since you addressed me, are meaningless. Have fun. ;)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@jaydan said:

@Pedro: You do you, it's your thread. I said what I had to say; there's nothing more to add and all posts that have happened since you addressed me, are meaningless. Have fun. ;)

I look forward to you not being as over reactive in the future.😊

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GhostOfGolden

Dude uses the word “laid off” in the thread title while discussing temp employees contracts not being renewed. We know why he did this. Xbots twisting words around to make it look like Nintendo is having a tough time like Xbox.

It’s also funny seeing a “professor” misuse words and claim other folks are confused. I know there’s that sayin, “Those that can, do. Those who can’t, teach.” I’m it sure this dude can teach either 🤭😂🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro
@ghostofgolden said:

Dude uses the word “laid off” in the thread title while discussing temp employees contracts not being renewed. We know why he did this. Xbots twisting words around to make it look like Nintendo is having a tough time like Xbox.

It’s also funny seeing a “professor” misuse words and claim other folks are confused. I know there’s that sayin, “Those that can, do. Those who can’t, teach.” I’m it sure this dude can teach either 🤭😂🤣

I know when you see my name it triggers you but maybe you should have noted that the title of the thread is literally the title of the linked article. But, instead you fallback on conspiracy theories.😂

Edit: And like clockwork, the thread has NOTHING to do with Xbox but "bu buh but Xbox".🤭

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jaydan

Everyone grab your popcorn, the Pedro "u r triggered" shtick is beginning.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@jaydan: I thought you left? Are now trying to pretend you weren't overreacting now?😏

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jaydan

Here he comes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan

"U r triggered"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GhostOfGolden

The writer of the article is a freelance writer. Someone at GameSpot should have corrected him, but we know better than to expect that…

A freelance writer not understanding contract work is ironic af.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pedro
@ghostofgolden said:

The writer of the article is a freelance writer. Someone at GameSpot should have corrected him, but we know better than to expect that…

@ghostofgolden said:

Translation:- "I was wrong."

🤭

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

Contractors or not, I am still disappointed in Nintendo.

Nintendo has always been terrible to its contractors.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jaydan

@ghostofgolden: You are wrong.

You will never recover from the great Pedro translator.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@Maroxad said:

This is actually news to me. Do you have an article on this or is this first hand experience?

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GhostOfGolden

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jaydan

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pedro

@ghostofgolden: No matter what you do, you can't hide from the fact you made an ass of yourself.🤭

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Maroxad said:

This is actually news to me. Do you have an article on this or is this first hand experience?

https://nordic.ign.com/nintendo-switch-1/55986/news/inside-the-growing-discontent-behind-nintendos-fun-facade

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GhostOfGolden

@Pedro: Contract workers don’t get laid off. They don’t work there. They are paid for their services for a specified period of time. I’m sorry you and a freelance writer don’t understand that. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤭🤣😎

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jaydan

@ghostofgolden: Careful bro, stating the facts is overreacting.

I even said, going off the article Pedro posted: Nintendo is opening loads of new full-time positions. These contractors have an opportunity to apply and have a heightened chance of becoming full-time employees.

Pedro:

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@ghostofgolden said:

@Pedro: Contract workers don’t get laid off. They don’t work there. They are paid for their services for a specified period of time. I’m sorry you and a freelance writer don’t understand that. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤭🤣😎

@ghostofgolden said:

@ghostofgolden said:

🤭
🤭

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7224 Posts

Dang i cant believe Nintendo is not renewing the third party contractors and is instead hiring more Nintendo employees to replace those third party contractors that give out poor benefits. See, Nintendo evil.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@mesome713 said:

... See, Nintendo evil.

Your words, no one else's.🙃

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jaydan

@Pedro said:
@mesome713 said:

... See, Nintendo evil.

Your words, no one else's.🙃

We all know you know that was sarcasm.

But who cares, this thread is about shitposting now so it does not matter.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pedro

@jaydan said:

... I said what I had to say...

Apparently not.😂

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jaydan

@Pedro: That is true. I said what I had to say, at the beginning of the thread. I told you every other post since you addressed me are meaningless; I never said I was done with this thread. I told you to have fun with the forthcoming onslaught of shitposting.

You almost had me there, Pedro, but my fluid goalpost maneuvers are no match for your trigger sensibilities.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

In short, Nintendo of America probably got the Independent Contractors and I'm sure Nintendo told the number of contractors there time is up coming soon and we'll prepared to start evaluating. Far different from the usual layoff.