Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23955 Posts

@jaydan: If Nintendo is replacing their contractor positions with full time positions that is great for a myriad of reasons.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50618 Posts

How do people have time in the day just to shit post? I'll never understand this.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#53 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Only a matter of time. F*** this industry...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

@Chutebox said:

How do people have time in the day just to shit post? I'll never understand this.

It's really just the same time you found to getting to 50,000 posts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Interesting pro-Nintendo bias on display here, as they refer to these folks as "Nintendo contractors" implying that contractors are more or less temporary workers (and thus bound to be let go eventually), whereas if this were another company they'd likely have referred to the contractors as "_ employees" implying (falsely) that they are not temporary (even though they might be).

Anyway, this is pretty standard, in either case. Lots of contract work in the tech/game industry, and when your contract is up it often is not renewed.

If you wanted to read into this, you could see it as a sign that game development has slowed, indicating they either finished a new game or are slowing down production on current games.

@davillain said:

In short, Nintendo of America probably got the Independent Contractors and I'm sure Nintendo told the number of contractors there time is up coming soon and we'll prepared to start evaluating. Far different from the usual layoff.

Bingo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

@jaydan: You sure showed me that you weren't overreacting.🤭

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

So, some contractor assignments ends, a "significant number of new full-time employee positions" will be made. Unless I'm missing something, sounds great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#59 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59186 Posts

Mcdonalds time, suckers.

Fries. Big shake. No microtransactions.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23955 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Interesting pro-Nintendo bias on display here, as they refer to these folks as "Nintendo contractors" implying that contractors are more or less temporary workers (and thus bound to be let go eventually), whereas if this were another company they'd likely have referred to the contractors as "_ employees" implying (falsely) that they are not temporary (even though they might be).

Anyway, this is pretty standard, in either case. Lots of contract work in the tech/game industry, and when your contract is up it often is not renewed.

If you wanted to read into this, you could see it as a sign that game development has slowed, indicating they either finished a new game or are slowing down production on current games.

Nah, I was skeptical at first, but after looking more into it. It seems they are moving away from contractors to hiring more full time employees, including hiring a lot of the contractors for that role, that is incredible news if true.

This is how several of my friends got full time employment, we started as contractors before becoming full time employees.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

@Pedro said:

@jaydan: You sure showed me that you weren't overreacting.🤭

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Not looking good for Pedro to get outfoxed by Jaydan🤭

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#63 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

@davillain said:

Quoting Ken Watanabe "Let them fight!"

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1906 Posts

@jaydan said:

Contractors, lol

In exchange for opening "a significant number of new full-time employee positions."

End thread. From what I've heard, they offered some of those contract workers full time positions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#65 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

@davillain said:

Then you don't know what outfoxed means.🙃

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

"Contractors" ain't exactly seen as employees per say. They're usually seen as external workers from a company that temporary hires them.

Since Nintendo are opening up full time positions, if those contractors have done a good job and built up enough rapport. I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't consider hiring them on a permanent contract.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts
@jaydan said:
@ghostofgolden said:

How do you layoff a contractor? These weren’t permanent positions…

It's just a spin of "see, Nintendo does it too" in response to everyone else's favorite company of choice doing mass internal layoffs.

@girlusocrazy said:

I hope those affected will land back on their feet.

Any rational, and productive individual, can and will get back on their feet. The attitude around here about layoffs is always hilarious. People here treat it like these people need funeral service over a lost job.

Layoffs are just a part of the professional experience, that is applicable to virtually every industry in existence.

And I always remind people: these people have impressive enough resumes and portfolios from working in these industries in the first place, and anyone with half a brain can get another job, often times better than what they had before.

well said...I don't understand the sensationalism of lost jobs. Its a job, and while its important, we are lucky to live in a blessed country with so many opportunities in a variety of fields. Many countries don't have that...they don't have the stable institutions, government or infrastructure to support such economic activity. We should be grateful.

People should be far more worried about their health...walk around anywhere and all you see is obesity on an unimaginable scale. Money is important, but end of the day its just a number and has no real meaning to it beyond helping to meet your basic needs, and future security. Health is absolutely critical, and right now the health care situation of society is at a disaster level. Your body should always be your foundation...even in the old days when we didn't have the luxuries we have now, a strong and healthy body would provide so many different job opportunities. I always rank health above wealth in every situation and often times, good health will lead to abundance of wealth. People really need to get off their fat asses.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9582 Posts

Well they were contractors... not saying it's a good thing, but that's what contractors do, they do a job and are then released most of the time. Only a small percentage that get hired on full time, it's almost like a temp agency.