mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58363 Posts

I kind of agree but extend this to all "household name" developers or heads of studios.

So not just Kojimas, but your Peter Molyneuxs, your Sid Meiers, Randy Pritchfords, Gabe Newells, etc.

I don't like how people deify these people sometimes. Video games are art, yes, but unlike a painting or what have you where there is a singular artist, it takes a dedicated team of people working together to make these games. If someone came to my place of work and said they wanted to talk to the guy "responsible for it all" and the "lead visionary" a.) no one would really know who they were talking about, and b.) if they went to the CEO that'd be embarrassing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59042 Posts

He created the Strand genre.

Go away.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 64 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

It’s not a genre it’s just a walking simulator that happens to be open world

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4236 Posts

@icrackurnuts said:

@outworld222: death stranding was the biggest turd I ever played

lol, not according to metacritic nutcracker.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icrackurnuts

@outworld222: it got mixed reviews

And many reviewers said it wasn’t for everybody

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44242 Posts

This thread in a nutshell.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 outworld222

@icrackurnuts:

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69618 Posts

I agree with OP.😊

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6140 Posts

I see some regular Kojima fangirls are in here lol.

The guy is a hack, the amount of time that was afforded to that arsehat at the game awards was disgusting, it's like all NA men want to blow him, that's how it comes across, it's cringe af.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59042 Posts

@icrackurnuts said:

@uninspiredcup:

It’s not a genre it’s just a walking simulator that happens to be open world

Like MGS2 be years before people properly comprehend it.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

He's an untalented weirdo who's never made a decent game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pedro  Online

@shadyacshuns said:

Not a fan of the guy but that is an inaccurate statement.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19578 Posts

The reason is simple: He was influential.

Millions of gamers around the world grew up playing his games. And thousands of those gamers went on to work in the game industry. And now those game industry professionals are paying their respects to the veteran who inspired them.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jag85  Online
@mrbojangles25 said:

I kind of agree but extend this to all "household name" developers or heads of studios.

So not just Kojimas, but your Peter Molyneuxs, your Sid Meiers, Randy Pritchfords, Gabe Newells, etc.

I don't like how people deify these people sometimes. Video games are art, yes, but unlike a painting or what have you where there is a singular artist, it takes a dedicated team of people working together to make these games. If someone came to my place of work and said they wanted to talk to the guy "responsible for it all" and the "lead visionary" a.) no one would really know who they were talking about, and b.) if they went to the CEO that'd be embarrassing.

Same could be said for movies. They're also made by a team of people. But there's always a director who leads the project. Same goes for video games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58363 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Same could be said for movies. They're also made by a team of people. But there's always a director who leads the project. Same goes for video games.

Exactly! And the end-result is these overhyped individuals that get egos the size of planets. The thing is, there are A LOT of creative people out there. There's a lot of people with great visions. The only difference is that "the greats" have had the opportunity.

They deserve credit, don't get me wrong...I just think it is important for us to realize they are not unique, and the only difference between them and thousands upon thousands of other creative types is a connection they made, the financial means they had, or some other extenuating circumstance. They aren't special (or rather, no more special than we are), they simply benefited from circumstances that allowed them to prosper.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By outworld222
@Jag85 said:

The reason is simple: He was influential.

Millions of gamers around the world grew up playing his games. And thousands of those gamers went on to work in the game industry. And now those game industry professionals are paying their respects to the veteran who inspired them.

So he’s a goody trailblazer or trendsetter. Couldn’t have said it any better myself. 👍

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pedro  Online
@mrbojangles25 said:

People are simple and thus rely on simple things such as crediting a singular person for the creation of a multi-disciplinary and team-based endeavor.

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 307 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Fully agree

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56167 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

This is false on your part, pal.

Let me break it down for you. *Weird shit and well-polished games* is what makes him unique. Kojima is a hit or a miss for me that is. I like Death Stranding and MGS4 are the only games I really enjoy...especially just MGS4 alone. I'm not much of a big fan on the other MGS games.

On topic from this point out. Hideo Kojima made great games in his career. But is mostly known for Metal Gear Solid which is an awesome franchise that tends to overshadow most of his outside work such as Death Stranding. Let me clear the Elephant in the room here, Hideo Kojima's games to me aren't as good as Zelda games, or Metroid games...but he has a unique style that suits him well enough for his fellow fans. Sadly though, Shigeru Miyamoto is more powerful than Hideo Kojima and that's saying something.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jag85  Online
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Exactly! And the end-result is these overhyped individuals that get egos the size of planets. The thing is, there are A LOT of creative people out there. There's a lot of people with great visions. The only difference is that "the greats" have had the opportunity.

They deserve credit, don't get me wrong...I just think it is important for us to realize they are not unique, and the only difference between them and thousands upon thousands of other creative types is a connection they made, the financial means they had, or some other extenuating circumstance. They aren't special (or rather, no more special than we are), they simply benefited from circumstances that allowed them to prosper.

While modern AAA game productions have large production crews comparable to big-budget Hollywood productions, back in the '80s and '90s, game development teams were way smaller, comparable to indie devs today. Back then, Kojima's team only had several people working on Metal Gear 1-2, Snatcher, and Policenauts, and just over a dozen people working on the first MGS. So Kojima deserves most of the credit for these works. It's only in the 2000s that his team significantly expanded in size.

What really differentiates "the greats" from others is influence. We can speculate all day about how they stumbled upon their creations, how original they really were, or what opportunities they were given. But what ultimately matters is the influence that they had on future generations and shaping history as we know it.

To use an example that illustrates this point really well: Atari's Pong was a rip-off that plagiarized the Magnavox Odyssey's Tennis game. Yet it was Atari's Pong that had a massive impact on the video game industry, not the Magnavox game it ripped-off. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter that Pong was a rip-off. What really matters is the massive influence that Pong had on future generations and shaping video game history.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1868 Posts

I mean, he makes games that people enjoy, so of course they like him. Though I'm in agreement of disliking the weird praise for any developer tbh. I'm a Nintendo fan, but every time someone says "Daddy Sakurai", I cringe. And I agree that Sakurai is talented, like Kojima is talented, but it's still fucking cringe when they call him Daddy Sakurai.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

@davillain said:
@shadyacshuns said:

This is false on your part, pal.

Let me break it down for you. *Weird shit and well-polished games* is what makes him unique. Kojima is a hit or a miss for me that is. I like Death Stranding and MGS4 are the only games I really enjoy...especially just MGS4 alone. I'm not much of a big fan on the other MGS games.

On topic from this point out. Hideo Kojima made great games in his career. But is mostly known for Metal Gear Solid which is an awesome franchise that tends to overshadow most of his outside work such as Death Stranding. Let me clear the Elephant in the room here, Hideo Kojima's games to me aren't as good as Zelda games, or Metroid games...but he has a unique style that suits him well enough for his fellow fans. Sadly though, Shigeru Miyamoto is more powerful than Hideo Kojima and that's saying something.

Nothing I said is false from my perspective. Nothing I've played from him has been good, fun or even serviceable.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jag85  Online
@luxuryheart said:

I mean, he makes games that people enjoy, so of course they like him. Though I'm in agreement of disliking the weird praise for any developer tbh. I'm a Nintendo fan, but every time someone says "Daddy Sakurai", I cringe. And I agree that Sakurai is talented, like Kojima is talented, but it's still fucking cringe when they call him Daddy Sakurai.

TIL that Nintendo fans like saying "Daddy Sakurai"... Y'all weird AF!

But seriously, what's the context behind that?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Kojima is the literal god of video game development.

Have some respect for the GOAT.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34645 Posts

I think he sucks, but to each their own.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap

@Mozelleple112 said:

Kojima is the literal god of video game development.

Have some respect for the GOAT.

I don't know why you want people to show some respect to goats, but here you go

Loading Video...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Litchie

@Jag85 said:
@luxuryheart said:

Pretty sure people do it as a joke. When there's people complaining a lot about people doing that, the joke becomes even funnier.

I don't find the joke funny, but I do find people being angry about it amusing.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@last_lap: " it's like all NA men want to blow him,"

lol

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44107 Posts

Was and still is a used car salesman. ;o

lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro  Online

The thread has been validated 😂

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Last_Lap

@PSP107 said:

@last_lap: " it's like all NA men want to blow him,"

lol

It's true though, go watch the guys like that clown Geoff Keighly guy who looks at him like he wants Kojima to impregnate him, it's weird af. Some men from NA are very weird.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10463 Posts

title and op sound like you're upset with the people who praise him because it reflects badly on him. thought there may have been a new article this came from but apparently not. random thought of the day thread

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1270 Posts

@icrackurnuts said:

It makes him sound like s douchebag with an exceptionally high obnoxious ego

not as embarrassing as the sony fanboy reaction when he announced he was working on an xboc console exclusive.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Icrackurnuts

@saint-george: I remember that lol there was a petition for it

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85  Online
@Litchie said:
@Jag85 said:
@luxuryheart said:

Pretty sure people do it as a joke. When there's people complaining a lot about people doing that, the joke becomes even funnier.

I don't find the joke funny, but I do find people being angry about it amusing.

I don't see anything to get angry about. It's just cringe. As a PC gamer, I also find "PC master race" to be cringe as well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Litchie

@Jag85: lol, I find it pretty funny.

Would someone use the term seriously though, now that would be cringe.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39033 Posts

What's embarassing is praising Phil, the one killing the Xbox brand.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Saint-George

@icrackurnuts said:

Actual footage of a cow when it was announced..

🤣😂
🤣😂

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7188 Posts

@saint-george said:
@icrackurnuts said:

Actual footage of a cow when it was announced..

🤣😂
🤣😂

same thing when xbox fans heard he was working on a ps4 exclusive.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

i dont understand why what others do causes them embarrassment

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Saint-George

@gifford38:

Bu bu bu xbox.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22726 Posts

@outworld222 said:
@icrackurnuts said:

@outworld222: death stranding was the biggest turd I ever played

lol, not according to metacritic nutcracker.

Death stranding is one point lower than Starfield on metacritic. So either someone is lying to me about death stranding or theyre lying to me about Starfield.... Or they're just being fanboys....

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46410 Posts

@TheEroica: fanboys lie to themselves.