My DualSense is already disintegrating. What has been your experience with the new controllers?

• 119 results
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

They're not known worldwide as Phony, the one and only, for nuttin ya know. :P

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

i havent had any issue with any ps controller. maybe im not gaming enough but there hasnt been a time i need a replacement. you sure you didnt throw it when you are play demons souls? :)

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Old thread. That stated. Have had mine for about a month. No issues. It gets used 3-5 hours a day between me and the kids.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39699 Posts

@___gamemaster__ said:

i havent had any issue with any ps controller. maybe im not gaming enough but there hasnt been a time i need a replacement. you sure you didnt throw it when you are play demons souls? :)

I am not in the "Souls games are too difficult" crowd. Spent too much time playing them to find them difficult at this point.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#105 neogeo2k2  Online
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

My original that came with my ps5 broke so I had to send it in to get fixed.

I bought a new cause I didn’t know how long it was going to take to get fixed.

Now my new one is drifting like crazy.

Lucky for me this one is less than 30 days so I can take it to the store.

But I was just un lucky.

I do use my controller every day, like 4 -5 hours

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 hardwenzen  Online

Saw the drifting happen of the right stick live on stream yesterday. Analog sticks issues might be bigger than we think.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#107 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Epak_ said:
@eoten said:
@Epak_ said:
@eoten said:
@Epak_ said:

I ordered a 3rd party thumbstick to my drifting joy-con and fixed it myself lolololo. Many probably won't bother though... I wonder if I could do that to my DS5s if the decide to break.

You could in theory, but here's the issue with that. The potentiometers read an analog value from -1 to 1, with 0 being the ideal center, but this is never the case, at rest they usually read a value of like -.05 or +.1 or something, and the firmware on the controller zeroes this out from the factory. If you replace the drifting thumbstick with an aftermarket one, let's say the stock one had a resting value of -.1 and the new one has a resting value of +.05, then the new stick will have a net of +.15 and the new stick will drift in that direction with no way to correct it.

So if you read the values of the default potentiometer and could match the values, it'd work. This is why when I replace worn thumbsticks in controllers that do not have drift (like my Gamecube controller) I swap the old, working potentiometers onto the new stick boxes so I'll get a tight stick without drift.

So yeah, swapping thumbstick modules on Playstation, Xbox, or Switch Pro controllers really is as much of a pain in the ass as it sounds, and the people making those controllers have taken steps to keep it that way.

HAL sensors really do not cost any more than these stick boxes do, and would never have a drift issue. Furthermore if HAL sensors were used, like in the Dreamcast controller, then after the physical, mechanical stick itself wears out from use, you could swap it for a dirt cheap replacement with just a screwdriver. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft do not want you to be able to repair your controllers so they'll last forever. They use the analog modules that they do, and lock the firmware to them so you'll have to buy replacements. There's maybe $5-$10 of actual parts, material, and labor put into making one, so it's a net profit for those companies when you buy replacements every year or two.

My main goal for experimenting with HAL sensors and 3D printing is to get to my point where I can design and build an analog controller that will literally last forever.

Joy-cons have really smart parts, but I managed to do the switch (even with my trembling hands :D). At least the DS5 would have bigger parts, but I have no idea how much dissassembly I'd have to do before I could replace the thumbstick. I prefer to have two working controllers right now, maybe I should buy a third one and if any of the controllers break I could try and order a spare thumbstick and try to fix the broken one myself. On the other hand all my PS5 stuff is still under warranty so...

A PS5 controller is much easier to disassemble than Joycons. I think the Switch Pro controller is the easiest to disassemble of the three and the easiest to repair. If you plan to replace thumbstick modules on a PS5, Xbox, or Switch pro controller, you will need to know how to solder.

Aw crap, well there goes that then. The joy-con didn't need any soldering.

Soldering isn't hard and the right tools to do it do not cost much either. It's a good skill to learn because the thumbstick modules used in controllers now aren't going anywhere, so you'll be able to apply the skills and use the tools for multiple repairs.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Eoten

@hardwenzen said:

Saw the drifting happen of the right stick live on stream yesterday. Analog sticks issues might be bigger than we think.

First major 3rd party manufacturer to start using HAL sensors is going to become very popular, very quickly.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 hardwenzen  Online

@eoten said:
@hardwenzen said:

First major 3rd party manufacturer to start using HAL sensors is going to become very popular, very quickly.

They all want to spend as little as possible for maximum profit. Bet you no major 3rd party manufacturers are gonna be using it in the coming years. You might see them in custom $250+ controllers, but not your sub $100 range.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Damn phlop spencer has been MIA since this thread, and how did the mods miss this necro'd thread 🤣🤣🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 hardwenzen  Online

@i_p_daily said:

Damn phlop spencer has been MIA since this thread, and how did the mods miss this necro'd thread 🤣🤣🤣

Phlop, Tormy and yo boi Protoss are all missing. I am worried.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@eoten: If 1st party controllers aren't using HAL, there's no way cheap 3rd party controllers are gonna use it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:

Phlop, Tormy and yo boi Protoss are all missing. I am worried.

They could all be the same person, and all of them are a few beers short of a 6 pack 🤣🤣🤣

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Eoten

@vfighter said:

@eoten: If 1st party controllers aren't using HAL, there's no way cheap 3rd party controllers are gonna use it.

Oh they wouldn't sell it for cheap. A controller that could legitimately last you the rest of your life would have a lot of demand. I'd expect such a thing to easily cost over $100. The HAL sensors themselves are only a few dollars.

If you look at where longevity, reliability, and durability are concerns, arcade gaming, you'll find many if not most arcade cabinets use HAL sensors.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115 Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

The controller is terrible

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Had it since launch and it’s still in perfect condition.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2064 Posts

Mine is running perfect. Never broke a controller, not even once

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@eoten said:
@Epak_ said:
@eoten said:
@Epak_ said:
@eoten said:

You could in theory, but here's the issue with that. The potentiometers read an analog value from -1 to 1, with 0 being the ideal center, but this is never the case, at rest they usually read a value of like -.05 or +.1 or something, and the firmware on the controller zeroes this out from the factory. If you replace the drifting thumbstick with an aftermarket one, let's say the stock one had a resting value of -.1 and the new one has a resting value of +.05, then the new stick will have a net of +.15 and the new stick will drift in that direction with no way to correct it.

So if you read the values of the default potentiometer and could match the values, it'd work. This is why when I replace worn thumbsticks in controllers that do not have drift (like my Gamecube controller) I swap the old, working potentiometers onto the new stick boxes so I'll get a tight stick without drift.

So yeah, swapping thumbstick modules on Playstation, Xbox, or Switch Pro controllers really is as much of a pain in the ass as it sounds, and the people making those controllers have taken steps to keep it that way.

HAL sensors really do not cost any more than these stick boxes do, and would never have a drift issue. Furthermore if HAL sensors were used, like in the Dreamcast controller, then after the physical, mechanical stick itself wears out from use, you could swap it for a dirt cheap replacement with just a screwdriver. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft do not want you to be able to repair your controllers so they'll last forever. They use the analog modules that they do, and lock the firmware to them so you'll have to buy replacements. There's maybe $5-$10 of actual parts, material, and labor put into making one, so it's a net profit for those companies when you buy replacements every year or two.

My main goal for experimenting with HAL sensors and 3D printing is to get to my point where I can design and build an analog controller that will literally last forever.

Joy-cons have really smart parts, but I managed to do the switch (even with my trembling hands :D). At least the DS5 would have bigger parts, but I have no idea how much dissassembly I'd have to do before I could replace the thumbstick. I prefer to have two working controllers right now, maybe I should buy a third one and if any of the controllers break I could try and order a spare thumbstick and try to fix the broken one myself. On the other hand all my PS5 stuff is still under warranty so...

A PS5 controller is much easier to disassemble than Joycons. I think the Switch Pro controller is the easiest to disassemble of the three and the easiest to repair. If you plan to replace thumbstick modules on a PS5, Xbox, or Switch pro controller, you will need to know how to solder.

Aw crap, well there goes that then. The joy-con didn't need any soldering.

Soldering isn't hard and the right tools to do it do not cost much either. It's a good skill to learn because the thumbstick modules used in controllers now aren't going anywhere, so you'll be able to apply the skills and use the tools for multiple repairs.

You're right, I think I could learn it, I got my whole life to learn it :P My job has killed my passion for most things :D

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#119  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

Hopefully next generation console makers will test their products a bit before selling them.

Sony and Nintendo, at least. Dumbfucks.